Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The reaction around here if we select Daniel Jones is going to be hilarious, that's one reach we have to avoid. 

Not if it's in the 3rd round.  Projections are all over the place right now but most scouts will still tell you he is significantly better than any of the other guys who will be there on day 2.

4 minutes ago, dballer said:

I think they are banking on having Alex Smith off the books and most likely Norman. If the goal is to have a starting QB on a rookie deal, which has been stated that would ease the Collins $ pain in year 3. 

I hope that rookie contract is Rosen’s. 🙏 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Disagree heavily with the Leftwich comp that's being floated.  Two of the things that defined Leftwich, the lumbering feet and glacial release, don't apply to Haskins at all.  His pocket footwork is very fluid and his release is awesome.  Wrist flicks on deep outs.  It's almost as fast as Lock's.  Leftwich didn't have anywhere near Haskins's arm talent.  Just because he's a slow runner doesn't mean he's not a twitchy athlete.  His pocket game is very quick.

Yeah, the feet look leftwichitian to me, but not the release. I think the Haskins feet are an abomination of abominations, but the Carson Palmer/Bledsoe easy arm strength is in the tank without the long motion Byron has. 

3 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Not if it's in the 3rd round.  Projections are all over the place right now but most scouts will still tell you he is significantly better than any of the other guys who will be there on day 2.

I'd be happy with him in round 2 probably. 15 is our luxury pick, I'm not a fan of "potential" guys that high. Production is extremely important and if you didnt really produce good numbers at the college level like Daniel Jones, that's a red flag. Then you have to start looking into the reasoning as to why

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is going to be painful.  And it's part of why I'm worried about the Collins deal and I want to take advantage of this freakishly good DT class. 

Heck, yes. We should have seen this coming before passing on Derwin. Very frustrating. 

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Heck, yes. We should have seen this coming before passing on Derwin. Very frustrating. 

Lets give it a few years, I think Payne and Derwin end up being a wash in the end. Payne impressed the hell out of me last year for a young rookie. We dont know if anyone at 15 will be as good as Payne, its pretty doubtful.

We are going Mlb in the first two rounds if they were strong after Mosley its obviously a priority to upgrade the position.I hope White somehow falls to 15 this would be a dream situations.Ferrari Foster, White and Collins running around behind the dline we have could be special.I feel our CB'S IF Dunbar is healthy are better then they get credit for around here.Build this defense grab a lg in the third and run Guice and Peterson until the wheels fall off.We could be this years Bears.

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Lets give it a few years, I think Payne and Derwin end up being a wash in the end. Payne impressed the hell out of me last year for a young rookie. We dont know if anyone at 15 will be as good as Payne, its pretty doubtful.

I like Payne a lot, I posted about 80 Payne gifs in his thread after the draft illustrating his strengths, but there are a number of factors that make Derwin the obvious choice to me today, just as there were then. If we did what I’d have wanted, we’d be picking in the top 5, perhaps twice; Oakland offered this years #1 + for Trent, I don’t think he gets them any more Ws. 

But, we be what we be. I hope Payne becomes the best DT this side of ... Johnathan Allen. I’m a fan. I’m a big fan of Timmy too.

🤝

I like the idea of building the OL in this draft with strong run blockers, whoever they may be. We dont have our QBOTF yet, but we do have Guice and Peterson. For now maybe it keeps our offense afloat and not bottom feeders this season. I also like the idea of making our defense absolutely filthy by adding some more premium talent there with our first few picks as a second option. 

4 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

We are going Mlb in the first two rounds if they were strong after Mosley its obviously a priority to upgrade the position.I hope White somehow falls to 15 this would be a dream situations.Ferrari Foster, White and Collins running around behind the dline we have could be special.I feel our CB'S IF Dunbar is healthy are better then they get credit for around here.Build this defense grab a lg in the third and run Guice and Peterson until the wheels fall off.We could be this years Bears.

If we go White or Bush, I’ll be thrilled. White is unlikely to be there, Bush may be seen as too near a Foster/Collins athlete, which, would be fine with me, but not others. 

Cashman in round 3, could be there. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I like the idea of building the OL in this draft with strong run blockers, whoever they may be. We dont have our QBOTF yet, but we do have Guice and Peterson. For now maybe it keeps our offense afloat and not bottom feeders this season. I also like the idea of making our defense absolutely filthy by adding some more premium talent there with our first few picks as a second option. 

Maulers on both sides. We really need a top 10 guard just to rest our defense. “Complementary football”, once a phrase you couldn’t avoid. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I like Payne a lot, I posted about 80 Payne gifs in his thread after the draft illustrating his strengths, but there are a number of factors that make Derwin the obvious choice to me today, just as there were then. If we did what I’d have wanted, we’d be picking in the top 5, perhaps twice; Oakland offered this years #1 + for Trent, I don’t think he gets them any more Ws. 

But, we be what we be. I hope Payne becomes the best DT this side of ... Johnathan Allen. I’m a fan. I’m a big fan of Timmy too.

🤝

I cant get by the fact that you said Oakland offered this years first + for Trent. That actually happened AND we turned it down? Derwin is special, but hes a safety too, not as highly rated position as a DL to me at least.

We got offered a 1st + for Trent and turned it down? That will stick with me. 

I love Timmy too, hoping he doesnt slim down too much in the offseason though. 

13 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

We are okay at CB if Dunny is back in form, but if Greedy falls to us we need to Gandalf it. "You shall not pass!"

2 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

I would love to walk out of the first two rounds with White/Bush and Ferguson/Polite.This defense would be looking great!Add a lg and wr in the 3rd round.

I'm a big stat guy, is there a reason why Bush didnt really produce good tackle numbers but is being projected to go so high? Tackling is literally the positions key primary job, so it's a bit alarming. 

34 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Well sure round 3 would not be a massive reach. We are all worried about round 1.

14 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I cant get by the fact that you said Oakland offered this years first + for Trent. That actually happened AND we turned it down? Derwin is special, but hes a safety too, not as highly rated position as a DL to me at least.

We got offered a 1st + for Trent and turned it down? That will stick with me. 

I love Timmy too, hoping he doesnt slim down too much in the offseason though. 

Yeah, more than a first, a decent bit more, teams are desperate for tackles, look at these absurd contracts. I think Denver just gave more to Juaun James than we pay Trent. Oakland ended up reaching for a bum last year and then making Brown the richest OT in the game, or close to it. Trent had immense value, he still does, but last year was the time to deal him and get serious about this rebuild, imo. 

Haha, yeah seeing Tim say he’s near 300 now .. I wasn’t sure if I should be excited about it or not, but at least he’s taking his work seriously, which was the one significant knock on him. Phenomenal kid, but he likes to goof around & people, some people had serious doubts about his “alpha”, a term that makes me vomit, but makes many dudes feel badass. Anyway, that & the declining value of the NT is why he was available so late, but that explosion plays well over the guard or center, his snaps v Dallas, in Dallas, were the most dominant I’ve seen from a Redskins interior lineman in 2 decades; Small sample, but intoxicating.

28 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We are okay at CB if Dunny is back in form, but if Greedy falls to us we need to Gandalf it. "You shall not pass!"

I'm a big stat guy, is there a reason why Bush didnt really produce good tackle numbers but is being projected to go so high? Tackling is literally the positions key primary job, so it's a bit alarming. 

If someone can get his 2018 coverage with his 2017 run, he should be special. Watching a Michigan he was always the standout on a team of elite athletes.

Some mock drafts have Bush falling to us in round 2, a Burns/Bush (not sexual) combination could add some more explosive elements to a defense that now has Foster & Collins to complement the big guys up front. 

Bush/Foster/Collins could give us a lot of flexibility. Bush/Foster blitzing by Payne/Tim/Allen/Ion could be a glorious thing to behold. With our corners, and lack of edge rushers, we are going to need to find ways to get the ball out quickly... that will likely require some creativity. 

53 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Yeah, more than a first, a decent bit more, teams are desperate for tackles, look at these absurd contracts. I think Denver just gave more to Juaun James than we pay Trent. Oakland ended up reaching for a bum last year and then making Brown the richest OT in the game, or close to it. Trent had immense value, he still does, but last year was the time to deal him and get serious about this rebuild, imo. 

Haha, yeah seeing Tim say he’s near 300 now .. I wasn’t sure if I should be excited about it or not, but at least he’s taking his work seriously, which was the one significant knock on him. Phenomenal kid, but he likes to goof around & people, some people had serious doubts about his “alpha”, a term that makes me vomit, but makes many dudes feel badass. Anyway, that & the declining value of the NT is why he was available so late, but that explosion plays well over the guard or center, his snaps v Dallas, in Dallas, were the most dominant I’ve seen from a Redskins interior lineman in 2 decades; Small sample, but intoxicating.

Yeah it would have been extremely smart to deal him for that haul, if we had a true GM, that deal would have been made without much of an afterthought. The best GMs deal right before the inevitable decline and get future value for their players. Tackles definitely have immense value and rightfully so, glad we didnt overpay some scrub like other teams are doing. 

For Tim's size he is definitely pretty explosive, and once he gets to stop speed good luck slowing him down. I dont get the alpha thing. Sean Taylor's personality wouldnt have been alpha, he was quiet and kept to himself, yet he was a good player. I think that's just people talking out of the wrong hole

The man

The myth

The legend

mRqGtFQUVy5sR0m9qe5IUn6q3UuYn67wKQ0-PsdA

rNxvZCpS7HNIZ3lzybKuAoIyqHFq9CGcuGcArOpT

S4dI9F8jvPrJAXkxQZ7RRC2eXgTiR1AglYwr9KBT

Will Grier is a better quarterback prospect than Drew Lock and Daniel Jones because of his accuracy (data courtesy of Sports Info Solutions, one of the leaders in advanced college football analytics) and his production. Grier finished in the 87th percentile in passing EPA while Lock (55th) and Jones (19th) hung around the likes of Kyle Shurmur and Clayton Thorson. Grier may never be a top-32 NFL quarterback, but he has the profile of a quarterback who could be a starter or high-end backup. If Grier slips to Round 3, that team is getting an absolute steal. Draft Over/Under: 64.5

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/2019-quarterback-profiles?page=2

8IiWtxJK42ni-RgRSaJ1Rm2opT0XXHEdaoYcrRf9xpazjGbCU6nEgbje4RtFw2LJzvkpA0xL4Rxms5ol

Clayton Thorson showed promise early in his career -- that earned him an invite to the Combine -- but he has the profile of a third-string quarterback. Draft Over/Under: 250

Thorson o/u 250, Grier o/u 64.5. What odds can I get on Thorson before William, should be +1500 or so, based on this. I’m in. 

Speaking on ESPN’s Breaking Big Blue podcast with Jordan Raanan, Russini said she first got the impression at the NFL Combine the Giants are not sold on Haskins from people inside the organization.

“About a week after the Combine, I circled back with some people like, 'What are you thinking Haskins? Do you guys like him? Do you think you are going for it with your No. 6 pick?” Russini said. "It was, ‘No, actually. We are not doing a lot of work on him.’

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking on ESPN’s Breaking Big Blue podcast with Jordan Raanan, Russini said she first got the impression at the NFL Combine the Giants are not sold on Haskins from people inside the organization. “About a week after the Combine, I circled back with some people like, 'What are you thinking Haskins? Do you guys like him? Do you think you are going for it with your No. 6 pick?” Russini said. "It was, ‘No, actually. We are not doing a lot of work on him.’

I will tell you this, personally I'm not interested in Haskins.  If a team wanted to trade up with us if he's there an we lost out on Rosen and Murray goes #1 I'd entertain offers all day long and get the best one I could, then make a trade.

Another extraordinarily explosive prospect, a day 3 guy, Will Harris:

SIPs guy write him up:

The way he moves when he’s unleashed is something to behold. The first tackle attempt of the game - less so.

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

There may be 15 guys with grades in the top 3 rounds, but the order is wildly different from team to team.

Brugler keeping up with the thread. Good man.

• The Athletic's Dane Brugler has 15 wide receivers inside his top-100.

This wide receiver class is pretty strong, especially when looking at its depth. In fact, the position group tied edge rushers for the most players represented inside of Brugler's top-100. The difference between wide receiver and EDGE is the high-end talent, with multiple edge rushers inside the top-10 and only D.K. Metcalf flirting with a top-15 selection at receiver. Expect a wide receiver run to begin in the second round.

Mar 15, 2019, 8:25 PM

58 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Wait, where does this info come from?

And What good would it do us anyway. TW is a stud LT, behind him is......Christiansen?? Heck we don't even have a LG at all, and having a 1st rd pick would simply mean that we had to use it on yet another tackle and hope he panned out. No net gain

11 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Fairly sure the CBA says you can't negotiate an increase/extension with a player you drafted until after year 3 so this would be our first chance with Ioannidis.  I do think there is a chance a deal like that gets done after FA and the draft once the team knows what it has left over for extensions for this league year.

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is going to be painful.  And it's part of why I'm worried about the Collins deal and I want to take advantage of this freakishly good DT class.  It's true that he might have turned down a long term deal after last season, but betting on yourself when you've got long term security sitting on your lap isn't so easy.  If I were the team I'd say look at what happened to LeVeon Bell.  The grass isn't always greener, nor the market kind.

I got some pushback (and I can see their point) about extending Io even though Allen and Payne will need to be paid in the future (good on you @WelshSkinsFanfor the info), but it’s just not a problem I’m worried about right now.  Of course, that was in the context of trading him, which I think is a bit foolhardy for multiple reasons - one of which is that we can structure the contracts so we can front load his and backload the others so we can trade Io down the road if need be.  Basically, I don’t want to turn a position of strength (especially in the trenches) into a weakness.  I’m not going to go into the Fuller trade except to say I was ticked off, and Ioannidis would represent a similar affair for me... namely, trading away a good, young, cheap, homegrown player (in the hopes we maybe get a chance at a franchise qb).  

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's not a good ILB class unfortunately.  If we're targeting the position early then it will probably entail need-reaching.

I would wait around on ILB.  Target a guy like Te'Von Coney late on day 2 or early day 3.

Yeah, it’s an iffy ILB class.  I haven’t watched Mack yet, but White and Bush are legit 1st rounders I think, and then Cashman in the 2nd and Watson/Burr-kirven* in the 3rd (and Pratt probably in between those 4) make sense to me.  That’s not a lot of options though, to your point.  

* I could be way off base here, but I like the talent of these two guys.  

Archived