Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

And What good would it do us anyway. TW is a stud LT, behind him is......Christiansen?? Heck we don't even have a LG at all, and having a 1st rd pick would simply mean that we had to use it on yet another tackle and hope he panned out. No net gain

The question is, what good did Trent do us, anyway. Nearly as much good as Joe Thomas did Cleveland. Obviously we should have traded him a year ago, the only question is, should trade him today. 

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

The question is, what good did Trent do us, anyway. Nearly as much good as Joe Thomas did Cleveland. Obviously we should have traded him a year ago, the only question is, should trade him today. 

I think we aren't in a position to trade away any OL talent at the moment. Realistic trade options only exist when there is depth at a position. If we still had Nseke it might be a remote (but very risky) possibility , but it's one I wouldn't consider if I was GM. Christensen looked like a poor pick when it happened, and I don't think we've seen anything yet to convince us otherwise  

15 hours ago, volsmet said:

Look at how bad the run stop percentage and tackling efficiency are. Not great in coverage either. 14th. Not very productive in terms of stats. I don't think I'd take him in round 1. I'd much rather have Germaine Pratt in the 3rd or 4th. 

McQueen, I thought your comment about, "Clelin Furrrrrl", having the most country name ever was funny. Reminds me of Jim Bob Cooter, which will forever be the most country name ever. 

McQueen, Payne over James leading to the Collins contract is the exact reason to always go BPA. And it wasn't hind sight. Everyone on the board I think preferred Hankins and Derwin James to Payne and who ever. In point of fact, we could have had Derwin James, Maurice Hurst, and Tim Settle. I honestly believe that the top 5 posters on this forum would out draft the Skins brass, without the benefit of having any college scouting. It the Redskins' college scouting is actually very good, I think. Don't take any of that as a knock on Payne, who I do really like. 

Volsmet, thanks for pointing out Will Harris. Meets size and athletic requirements. 6'1" 207 pounds, 4.41 forty, 36.5" vert and 123 inch broad. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/will-harris?id=32194841-5200-0007-18bb-de0956128b7a

I enjoyed these brief highlights. Very physical. Seems to catch well. Look how twitchy he is returning the fumble on the play that starts 25 seconds in. He looks like a RB. 

I need to watch more tape. What do you guys think his range is? Round 4 or 5?

29 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I think we aren't in a position to trade away any OL talent at the moment. Realistic trade options only exist when there is depth at a position. If we still had Nseke it might be a remote (but very risky) possibility , but it's one I wouldn't consider if I was GM. Christensen looked like a poor pick when it happened, and I don't think we've seen anything yet to convince us otherwise  

It depends on your outlook on the team. Not projecting these on you, just stating my view, 

If you think we are a player or two and some better luck with injuries away from a great season, then I agree, you can't trade away someone like TW right now, even with his recent injury history.

However, if you believe like I do that there are major holes throughout the team, then I think you have to trade him while you can. I would have done so before last year to be honest. This is no knock on TW. He is great guy and and an excellent player when on the field. But he is finding it harder and harder to stay on the field. Each yr they do not trade him his value and ability go down while his CAP number goes up.  

As for Christian, OL take a few yrs to develop and get NFL ready. Everyone was sure Moses was a total bust after his first season that ended with Lisfranc after 8 gms. Christian played in all of two games before getting injured. The snap judgement on him is more based on people not liking the pick to begin with. Just for reference, he was taken just 8 picks later then Moses in his draft (pick 74 vs pick 66). Not sure if that means anything other than people need to be more patient with these guys, especially linemen. There is a reason they were not 1st rd picks but that does not mean throw them out the window after all of 2 gms either. 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It depends on your outlook on the team. Not projecting these on you, just stating my view, 

If you think we are a player or two and some better luck with injuries away from a great season, then I agree, you can't trade away someone like TW right now, even with his recent injury history.

However, if you believe like I do that there are major holes throughout the team, then I think you have to trade him while you can. I would have done so before last year to be honest. This is no knock on TW. He is great guy and and an excellent player when on the field. But he is finding it harder and harder to stay on the field. Each yr they do not trade him his value and ability go down while his CAP number goes up.  

As for Christian, OL take a few yrs to develop and get NFL ready. Everyone was sure Moses was a total bust after his first season that ended with Lisfranc after 8 gms. Christian played in all of two games before getting injured. The snap judgement on him is more based on people not liking the pick to begin with. Just for reference, he was taken just 8 picks later then Moses in his draft (pick 74 vs pick 66). Not sure if that means anything other than people need to be more patient with these guys, especially linemen. There is a reason they were not 1st rd picks but that does not mean throw them out the window after all of 2 gms either. 

I do view OL differently than I view other positions. If your MLB sucks, the safety behind will get more tackles. He is expecting contact and although maybe getting a bit more wear, should get up to see another play. Even in the running game, whether your RB gets +9 yards or -2, they still get tackled every play, but in the passing game the performance of your OL has a direct impact on your QBs health and career. The QB is not expected to be viciously hit (esp blindside from LT play) on designed pass plays. I might be old school, but OL should be the first building block of any team. Let's face it, we do NOT have any depth along our OL at the moment. It is a glaring hole that needs to be corrected and taking away the strongest link in a very weak chain only further weakens it. It would be nice to have the luxury of Trent being an expendable talent. But until a quality team is assembled, we can't afford such a luxury. It is what it is

11 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

OL should be the first building block of any team. Let's face it, we do NOT have any depth along our OL at the moment. It is a glaring hole that needs to be corrected and taking away the strongest link in a very weak chain only further weakens it. It would be nice to have the luxury of Trent being an expendable talent. But until a quality team is assembled, we can't afford such a luxury. It is what it is

Ironic that the Skins have one of the higher % of cap space devoted to the OL.  Trent Williams, Morgan Moses and Scherff have very big contracts and none were healthy last year.  If the Skins are having difficulty with a Scherff extension then the issue is only going to get worse.  But the Skins don't have enough draft capital to fill all of the urgent needs on the team.      

5 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I do view OL differently than I view other positions. If your MLB sucks, the safety behind will get more tackles. He is expecting contact and although maybe getting a bit more wear, should get up to see another play. Even in the running game, whether your RB gets +9 yards or -2, they still get tackled every play, but in the passing game the performance of your OL has a direct impact on your QBs health and career. The QB is not expected to be viciously hit (esp blindside from LT play) on designed pass plays. I might be old school, but OL should be the first building block of any team. Let's face it, we do NOT have any depth along our OL at the moment. It is a glaring hole that needs to be corrected and taking away the strongest link in a very weak chain only further weakens it. It would be nice to have the luxury of Trent being an expendable talent. But until a quality team is assembled, we can't afford such a luxury. It is what it is

I do not disagree at all. In fact I totally agree accept the keeping TW part.

Just because I said trade TW does not mean I think the Oline would be fine without him as is. Far from it. I would love to see them go Oline and Dline the first 4 picks. Let Geron fight it out and let the best player win. I am not all in for Geron either. I just think it's early to assume he is a bust. But overall, forget all the skill positions early for now. Rebuild the Oline with guys that don't get injured and double down on the Dline and hope to get a little lucky late in the draft or look to next yr or the yr after. But get these lines tight! 

Back to Oline specifically, they do this now so when they figure out who the long term QB is (not on this roster right now), then as you say they have a line to keep him upright. Honestly I am pissed that yet again they did not address LG in Free Agency. There is still time but all you are getting are JAGs (still better than anything we have on the roster). The quality Oline that was out there is gone. 

They did this stupid **** last year. They assumed Arie would be their LG (who has shown nothing in the NFL yet) with SL (I get trucked on every play) as the back up. That was a very bad approach only compounded by them appearing to do it again this year! We still have the draft. But I would have been more aggressive on LG in Free Agency. Collins and a starting LG would have been an amazing Free Agency season. Then it opens up the draft for you. 

It's how they seem to approach team building and it's poor IMO. Last yr thy could have signed say Bennie Logan so that DT/E was not such a priority in the draft. I love Daron Payne, but can you imagine how much better we would be with Derwin James? Guy is a blue chip stud. Payne is good, very good. But is he a blue chip stud? In fairness it's way too early to tell but you could have had a Logan or maybe a Sheldon Richardson line up with Allen and Matt I and have James behind them. Then we don't need Collins this yr freeing up money to be spent better in other places - who BTW is getting paid a lot more than James but not the same quality player. This yr they go into the draft having to get a G/T. Not that they will do it. Remains to be seen. They could have given themselves options to stay more with BPA.

I do not follow the BPA no matter what philosophy. But I do believe you should give yourself options. They have had chances but they choose not to. Not sure if it's arrogance or stupidity. Probably a little of both. 

My overall problem with this team (and I am not alone) is that there does not seem to be any vision. No forward thinking and planning. 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Back to Oline specifically, they do this now so when they figure out who the long term QB is (not on this roster right now), then as you say they have a line to keep him upright. Honestly I am pissed that yet again they did not address LG in Free Agency.

I am VERY surprised that Jonathan Cooper was not signed asap. He seemed to step in and play OK during his brief stay before he tore his bicep tendon.  If the FO is waiting to see the draft outcome before adding some depth here, I could definitely see a repeat of the 2018 fail.

17 hours ago, volsmet said:

If someone can get his 2018 coverage with his 2017 run, he should be special. Watching a Michigan he was always the standout on a team of elite athletes.

Some mock drafts have Bush falling to us in round 2, a Burns/Bush (not sexual) combination could add some more explosive elements to a defense that now has Foster & Collins to complement the big guys up front. 

Bush/Foster/Collins could give us a lot of flexibility. Bush/Foster blitzing by Payne/Tim/Allen/Ion could be a glorious thing to behold. With our corners, and lack of edge rushers, we are going to need to find ways to get the ball out quickly... that will likely require some creativity. 

Burns/Bush would be a gift. Bush is all over the board in mocks. As high as 10 as low as 50.

Redskins need to start targeting PLAYMAKERS!  O-line/edge positions will eventually be filled in through later rounds or second half of free agency.  I know this opinion will be unpopular on here but whatever.  My top 5 playmakers are:

1. 1. Kyler Murray

2. Marquise Brown

3. Parris Campbell

4. Deebo Samuels

5. Diontae Johnson

I also believe Darnell Savage from UMD has big playmaking potential on the defensive side

Been mentioning Chris Lindstrom and Cody Ford on and off since during the college season.  I refreshed myself with both and started looking at Jonah Williams.

Finlay said he heard they liked Lindstrom for what its worth.  I like him but he strikes me more of a 2nd rounder.  He anchors well.  I watched him among other games handle Christian Wilkins from Clemson well -- posted some clips below of him anchoring well versus him.  I watched him play RT and G, he's definitely IMO a G.  I don't think he has the athleticism-lock down ability to play RT even though his athletic metrics were really good at the combine.  He can get to the 2nd level well.  Strong hands.  Mirrors well.  He seems to lose his balance though some and to my eyes he doesn't pop on film where you are wowed.  But he looks consistent and will be good IMO.  But not a Brandon Scherff level pro bowl good.  

Cody Ford while didn't test that hot at the combine, to me is at a different level than Lindstrom.  That dude really locks down where he looks like the defenders have no chance.  Strong hands.  He looks more athletic in games than he appeared at the combine.  They actually ran some power with him where he pulled from his tackle spot.   To my eyes he can work at RT or G and might be elite level at G.  I like Lindstrom but he doesn't strike me with elite potential like Ford.   Ford dealt with Jennings (granted Jennings isn't anyone special) in the championship like it was child's play.

I started watched Jonah Williams and am impressed so far.  He locked down really well.   Mirrors well.  He looks really fluid.   Strong hands.  He got beat up for a couple of bad plays against Ferrell in the championship game but otherwise his rep is really sound.   He can get to the 2nd level and maul when needed.

I keep going back and forth on who I think they will target but I think Jonah Williams is likely a possibility if he falls to 15.  He fills a massive hole and can likely ultimately take over for Trent when the time comes.  And the dude is from Alabama. 

lindstrom2.png

lindstrom.png

12 hours ago, bowhunter said:

And What good would it do us anyway. TW is a stud LT, behind him is......Christiansen?? Heck we don't even have a LG at all, and having a 1st rd pick would simply mean that we had to use it on yet another tackle and hope he panned out. No net gain

It would do us a ton of good if we were being honest and self-aware about where we are and how far away we remain.

The source of this rumor I still haven't seen, however.

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking on ESPN’s Breaking Big Blue podcast with Jordan Raanan, Russini said she first got the impression at the NFL Combine the Giants are not sold on Haskins from people inside the organization.“About a week after the Combine, I circled back with some people like, 'What are you thinking Haskins? Do you guys like him? Do you think you are going for it with your No. 6 pick?” Russini said. "It was, ‘No, actually. We are not doing a lot of work on him.’

I was just coming into the thread to post that I am seeing more mocks now with Haskins making it down to us. If he is there at 15 you have to take him I think. Even if he busts you only spent a mid first rounder on him. And his medium range accuracy is ridiculous. Maybe the best I have ever watched tape on. He would be a perfect fit in Jay's offense IMO.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I was just coming into the thread to post that I am seeing more mocks now with Haskins making it down to us. If he is there at 15 you have to take him I think. Even if he busts you only spent a mid first rounder on him. And his medium range accuracy is ridiculous. Maybe the best I have ever watched tape on. He would be a perfect fit in Jay's offense IMO.

Sheehan's sources would have to be dead wrong (not saying they are or aren't, you never know) who told him the Redskins FO isn't into Haskins and Jay in particular doesn't like him. 

So if its true that the Giants aren't digging Haskins and likewise the Redskins aren't into him -- wonder what happens when you got Jax out of the picture because they have Foles.  Denver supposedly loves Lock.  Miami?

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan's sources would have to be dead wrong (not saying they are or aren't, you never know) who told him the Redskins FO isn't into Haskins and Jay in particular doesn't like him. 

So if its true that the Giants aren't digging Haskins and likewise the Redskins aren't into him -- wonder what happens when you got Jax out of the picture because they have Foles.  Denver supposedly loves Lock.  Miami?

Jay doesn't like Dwayne but apparently loves Colt.

Yeah, my opinion of Jay isn't very high....

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Jay doesn't like Dwayne but apparently loves Colt.

Yeah, my opinion of Jay isn't very high....

Jay's got some company apparently if its true that the Giants aren't digging him.  Scot McCloughan thinks he's a Leftwich clone.  Chris Simms isn't blown away by the dude.  Chris Cooley who actually has been right about a lot of players (not perfect. granted) thinks he will likely be a bust.   So Jay not totally out on an island if that's true. 

So Haskins reputation wise isn't a slam dunk Andrew Luck can't miss type of prospect.   

I am impressed with the number of draft geeks that love Haskins.  I haven't really dove into him to form my own opinion. Watched him some during the season.  It does worry me a little how many of those same draft geeks say Rosen is better than him considering I've watched a lot of Rosen at this point.   And if Rosen is clearly better than Haskins -- Haskins in my opinion has some serious polishing to do.  

I got no position on Haskins yet though myself.    But if it is true that both the Redskins and Giants don't dig Haskins, that's interesting to me because Shurmer and Jay are both from a similar school of thought offense wise. 

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Miami would make sense IMO. Lots of Mocks have Lock making it to round two now with Denver getting Flacco. We may end up with our choice of a couple of different QB's there. May even be able to trade back a little bit and still land one of those guys.

@Skinsinparadise just been looking through some prospects today and agree on Jonah Williams. I think if he's there at #15 we'll be picking him. I would prefer a trade back though, I think that's where we'll be looking to go. Although if we stick in the first round clearly we could go in a number of ways.

Tried to narrow down the pool of players I would like us to target outside of the first round. This is what I've got. Could be miles off with where the will go though and we'd need to move around with picks  :806:

2- N'Keal Harry WR 

2- Juan Thornhill DB - class player, may not have chance to take him.

2- Chris Lindstrom OL

3- Yodny Cajuste OL

3- Justin Layne DB - favourite value DB now

3- David Long LB - definite pick for me

3- Jarrett Stidham QB - definite pick for me

4- Trayveon Williams RB - definite pick from me, clearly no 4th round pick yet.

5- Darnell Savage DB

5- Foster Moreau TE - definite pick for me 

5- Mecole Hardman WR - definite pick for me 

6- Mark Fields DB - definite pick from me

7-  Ben Burr-Kirven LB

7/UFA - Damien Prince OL

One of you experts feel free to flame me if my round predictions are way out.

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hope Miami loves the guy cause I don't.  Nothing personal I just don't think he fits Jay's scheme.

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Been mentioning Chris Lindstrom and Cody Ford on and off since during the college season.  I refreshed myself with both and started looking at Jonah Williams.

Finlay said he heard they liked Lindstrom for what its worth.  I like him but he strikes me more of a 2nd rounder.  He anchors well.  I watched him among other games handle Christian Wilkins from Clemson well -- posted some clips below of him anchoring well versus him.  I watched him play RT and G, he's definitely IMO a G.  I don't think he has the athleticism-lock down ability to play RT even though his athletic metrics were really good at the combine.  He can get to the 2nd level well.  Strong hands.  Mirrors well.  He seems to lose his balance though some and to my eyes he doesn't pop on film where you are wowed.  But he looks consistent and will be good IMO.  But not a Brandon Scherff level pro bowl good.  

Cody Ford while didn't test that hot at the combine, to me is at a different level than Lindstrom.  That dude really locks down where he looks like the defenders have no chance.  Strong hands.  He looks more athletic in games than he appeared at the combine.  They actually ran some power with him where he pulled from his tackle spot.   To my eyes he can work at RT or G and might be elite level at G.  I like Lindstrom but he doesn't strike me with elite potential like Ford.   Ford dealt with Jennings (granted Jennings isn't anyone special) in the championship like it was child's play.

I started watched Jonah Williams and am impressed so far.  He locked down really well.   Mirrors well.  He looks really fluid.   Strong hands.  He got beat up for a couple of bad plays against Ferrell in the championship game but otherwise his rep is really sound.   He can get to the 2nd level and maul when needed.

I keep going back and forth on who I think they will target but I think Jonah Williams is likely a possibility if he falls to 15.  He fills a massive hole and can likely ultimately take over for Trent when the time comes.  And the dude is from Alabama. 

Lindstrom is on my wish list in the 2nd round.  Love the guy and glad to hear that the Skins are in on him right now, per JP. :)

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you have no trade down opportunities and your pick 15 options include Jonah Williams and Montez Sweat which do you choose? Shades of last year's draft.  

46 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

If you have no trade down opportunities and your pick 15 options include Jonah Williams and Montez Sweat which do you choose? Shades of last year's draft.  

I've read a lot about both prospects but only just started studying Jonah and I like him but haven't studied Sweat.  Sweat as an athletic freak for that that position but oddly with the rep of being stiff and not having great bend.    In theory, I'd take Sweat.  Not everyday you can find an OLB who can run faster than the typical receiver and with enough girth to stop the run.  He has long arms.  He has the profile of being a freak at that position.  But I need to watch him to land hard on an opinion. 

Judging by recent mocks, its unlikely Sweat is there at and the choice between O line and edge are more likely to be Cody Ford versus Clelin Ferrell.   With Ferrell having a toe issue at pro day -- he seems to have some negative momentum which started even before that -- or at least perceived negative momentum in mocks.  

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've read a lot about both prospects but only just started studying Jonah and I like him but haven't studied Sweat.  Sweat as an athletic freak for that that position but oddly with the rep of being stiff and not having great bend.    In theory, I'd take Sweat.  Not everyday you can find an OLB who can run faster than the typical receiver and with enough girth to stop the run.  He has long arms.  He has the profile of being a freak at that position.  But I need to watch him to land hard on an opinion. 

Judging by recent mocks, its unlikely Sweat is there at and the choice between O line and edge are more likely to be Cody Ford versus Clelin Ferrell.   With Ferrell having a toe issue at pro day -- he seems to have some negative momentum which started even before that -- or at least perceived negative momentum in mocks.  

I would take Ford if necessary. He is my number one lineman in this draft. It is a pretty deep draft at OL in rounds one and two. But I think the talent falls off quite a bit this year in the later rounds at OL. 

Archived