Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kenny Mayne: Dear Fellow White People: Or should I have said ‘Caucasian’?

Bozo the kKklown

On 6/7/2018 at 3:11 PM, Kilmer17 said:

What percentage of Trump voters and current Trump supporters are such because of racism?  Is it possible for a non racist to support him?

you don;t have to be a racist to support trump and his team... but you DO have to be willing to ignore racism.   its not quite the same thing... but it still isn't very attractive.

(I don't PARTICULARLY support what those nasty nazis do...... but they sure do make beautiful skin-toned lampshades!) 

edit:   and yes... ^^this^^ is SUPPOSED to be hyperbole!

23 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I  If you care to look at the history of the great Empires of the past every one collapsed due to backwards thinking and increasing isolationism.  If we embrace change and the flow of fresh blood and ideas we can evolve to meet the changes of the future but if we harken back to a mythic golden era and enact policies to close our borders we will fail.  Remember, inbreeding never ends well.

Huh no. If you look at the empires of the past very few isolated themselves and in fact most were doing the opposite at the time of their collapse, destruction or dissolution. Backwards thinking would have helped the Roman Empire as they were strongest when they were a Republic.  Not saying isolation is not bad - it is imo - was just pointing out your faulty use of history (Which is by no means unique or even uncommon in this forum).

• 3 weeks later...

I thought white people were evil. I was wrong.

Whenever anyone mentions the historical atrocity of chattel slavery, white people will emerge from the dark crevices of humanity to gnaw away at the assertion like roaches on a discarded Cheeto. They will explain how most white people didn’t own slaves. They will offer a convoluted explanation about the Confederacy and Southern heritage. They will introduce the concept of “presentism”—the idea that we shouldn’t judge the actions of people in the past using modern-day standards—as if the white people of the past couldn’t quite grasp the idea of inhumanity and brutality until 1861.

Everyone knew that slavery was evil. Everyone knew that Jim Crow was evil. Everyone knew that lynching was evil. Everyone knows that any kind of injustice or inequality is evil. These things persist because most white people don’t actively fight to eradicate them.

And most white people don’t actively fight to eradicate inequality and injustice because they usually benefit in some small way. The Southern economy was built on evil slavery. Jim Crow laws maintained a national order with white people firmly planted atop the social hierarchy. Systematic injustice keeps black people in their place, but it also comforts white people to know that the big black bogeymen are being kept behind bars.

Inequality and racism exist not because of evil but because the unaffected majority put their interests above all others, and their inaction allows inequality to flourish. That is why I believe that silence in the presence of injustice is as bad as injustice itself. White people who are quiet about racism might not plant the seed, but their silence is sunlight.

Many of those people don’t speak out because they fear alienation more than they hate racism. For them, the fear of having someone furrow their brow in their direction outweighs their hatred of sending children to an underfunded school knowing that they don’t have an equal chance at success because of the color of their skin.

They know the reality of disproportionate police brutality, but they don’t have to worry about their children being shot in the face. Their kids receive good educations.

Their kids can wear hoodies whenever they please. Little Amber and Connor’s résumés don’t get tossed in the trash because of their black-sounding names. Their children’s futures are determined only by work ethic and ability. Therefore, they stay silent on the sidelines.

That’s not evil.

That is cowardice.

Attention getting headline, but eff it. If you stand by and do nothing when evil is taking place, you are a coward.

9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Black people are lazy.

Asians are sneaky and can't drive.

See how ugly that is? 

The equivalency would be that black people don’t speak out enough about the crime and poor education in their neighborhoods. That Asians don’t speak out about the disregard for the safety and well-being of others when it comes to them driving.

But I see what you did there!

Your comparison is based on your own exposure, therefore shows how far apart you are for what he was trying to present. Almost like a reverse racism mentality, like a force that has stress due to resistance.

3 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

The equivalency would be that black people don’t speak out enough about the crime and poor education in their neighborhoods. That Asians don’t speak out about the disregard for the safety and well-being of others when it comes to them driving.

Your comparison is based on your own exposure, therefore shows how far apart you are for what he was trying to present. Almost like a reverse racism mentality, like a force that has stress due to resistance.

I read the Root often.  I agree with many of the viewpoints expressed.  However, too often they shoot themselves in the foot with the overwrought headlines and insulting generalizations. Broad generalizations don't help. 

If the system were set up to keep black people in power and ensure that black people received better education, health care, standards of living, etc, would black people fight for their own self interest or would they fight for equality?  All black people or only a few?

17 minutes ago, Springfield said:

If the system were set up to keep black people in power and ensure that black people received better education, health care, standards of living, etc, would black people fight for their own self interest or would they fight for equality?  All black people or only a few?

Ask Ben Carson that question.

It will always ultimately be about content of character. And if your character is weak, then it will be about superficial **** like skin color or whatever in-group/out-group dynamic that keeps a person perched atop the social hierarchy.

Things like care and empathy are like muscles, you have to work them against resistance to make them grow. To be in the right position to carry out the most healthy and evolved of choices.

If you don't have that training then you will balk in the face of risk and stress, you will cling to your comforts rather than work for others, and you're zone of care and awareness will be this small pathetic thing that only circles your individual wants and fears.

I think the overall point of the article is that people (that just happen to be white in this case) who benefit from inequality might not be as motivated (as a group) to fight for equality as hard.  It's not suggesting there is a cowardly gene in white people. 

I've said before in threads that a bi-product of equality is inconvenience for the people who benefit from the current (and past) systems. 

1 hour ago, ClaytoAli said:

I agree with your first part. I dont understand the analogy "force that has stress due to resistance". I imagine this may be a law of physics analogy? 

----------------------------------

As for the headline? meh and yawn. Seems like red meat like what trump tosses his core base. The article itself assumes a broad generalization that tries to put all white people in the same box. White kids do get shot and killed by police, quite often actually. White kids have crappy school districts. 

It assumes all white people live in the burbs in a 2 family home with a garage. Flip side, I think a lot of racists assume black people all live in projects with out family support and live off welfare. 

Its easy for me to to not give this article a second thought .. if that means this writer thinks that makes me a coward ... meh i dont care. At this point in my life, I care very little what others think.   

11 minutes ago, zoony said:

This is the modern day left, identity politics and general stupidity and ignorance

With a nice mix of self loathing losers applauding them on

The left hardly has a copyright on identity politics, it just isn't referred to as identity politics (for whatever reason) when the GOP courts old angry rural white folks.  Hell, half of Trump's platform seems to be built on the fear of "whiteness" eroding from the country.

23 minutes ago, zoony said:

This is the modern day left, identity politics and general stupidity and ignorance

With a nice mix of self loathing losers applauding them on

Oooh, I smell embers burning....repressed passion maybe? You need to let it out more, tell us how you really feel.

Archived