Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kenny Mayne: Dear Fellow White People: Or should I have said ‘Caucasian’?

Bozo the kKklown

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

He has actually said that multiple times in the past. He, like many, feel like there is no point is 'playing nice' anymore and I 100% understand his point. I disagree, I mean look at this topic in particular, but I understand it. 

Fun example is the dick I work with. I am in a position of service at my current job. Office manager/ facilities manager type of deal. I have a cat that works here that habitually steps over the line (do this. NOW. You have to do what I tell you thats your job be a man about it). I gave him many chances to fix that and I said it the nice way. This marked year two for him and he has gotten worse. Just last week I had to unlock angry black man mode (only black guy in the office, so I really REALLY didnt want to go there). That got results. But I had to 'take it' for a while before I got to that point. Benning doesn't want to take it anymore. And has zero desire to hide that fact or play nice. 

Point is eventually you get worn down and you understand that playing nice doesn't always work. So **** it. Lets fight. 

I have been trying to stay away from this topic because I have been to some of the places Benning and im assuming the author of the piece have been and there are things in it that I absolutely agree with (given less of a broad stroke). But I know that **** will not be well received here and I know this isn't the battleground I need to choose to fight (and die) on. 

Know your audience

Thats exactly what it was for. Black Sean Hannity. 

I get that. That's where that article I posted about MLK has critical insight. He was willing to be in your face and confront you with the issues and suffer for it, for the sake of bringing peace. Its like disciplining children, if you want it to work, don't let your anger cause you to punish them. Discipline and restore with consequences, not punish them in unrighteous anger because you want to hurt or get back at them or resent what they did. This article, while containing many truths, comes from an attitude of punishment and resentment and selfishness ultimately. I think some of the reason he posted it here is anger over desperation. It doesn't have the greater good of all people, let alone African-Americans in mind and its short sighted.

12 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

I get that. That's where that article I posted about MLK has critical insight. He was willing to be in your face and confront you with the issues and suffer for it, for the sake of bringing peace. Its like disciplining children, if you want it to work, don't let your anger cause you to punish them. Discipline and restore with consequences, not punish them in unrighteous anger because you want to hurt or get back at them or resent what they did. This article, while containing many truths, comes from an attitude of punishment and resentment and selfishness ultimately. I think some of the reason he posted it here is anger over desperation. It doesn't have the greater good of all people, let alone African-Americans in mind and its short sighted.

Honestly I cant say it better. I have to give you credit for your understanding. I didnt expect it and I didnt read your MLK link assuming that it was the good ol' boy story that gets passed around about King. Ill read it now. 

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I was the one who asked Benning if he would consider himself a racist and here's why... being familiar with his posting history, I can tell you that if someone posted the exact same things that he posts but with the colors reversed, HE would call that person a racist.

True.

And good ol' Benning hasn't been back to defend himself yet.  

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im assuming he got a temp ban or something similar. Dude has never run from a knife fight. 

Nah, you'd known if he had.  This thread probably would have been locked too.

I'm assuming he'll be back, but no one likes to be called what they hate.

I don't think Benning is a racist. When you look at the definitions of racism, I don't think those apply to what he has posted in this forum. That said, I don't like the tone of that article and I don't agree with the conclusions it comes to. I do believe there are white people who shy away from helping against inequalities in this country, but I don't think they are the majority. The majority are apathetic, unless these inequalities happen to someone they know. They are too concerned with their own issues in their life, no matter how trivial, to feel any motivation to help anyone else. 

Multiple times in this thread, I've seen an example used where white people don't call out their very racist white relatives. I don't think that's cowardice, I think they don't care enough to even have the unavoidable, lengthy debate that will result in either that relative, or themselves, not being invited to the next barbeque. Being invited to the next barbeque is on a higher list of priorities than correcting the false crime statistics their relative got off Breitbart. Regardless, that doesn't minimize the effort of thousands of white people who understand what minorities deal with and do something about it. 

16 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

@BenningRoadSkin Would you consider yourself a racist?

What exactly did I say was racist?

White people have done and continue to do monstrous things in this country and white people arent saying much about it.

If pointing out that white people have done horrible things make me racist, then sure. Some how me saying white people, please do a lot better because your inaction is harming and killing innocent is racist. It’s bizarre but many people on this board live in a fantasy world and don’t acknowledge the pain of others except for posting on here or making emojis to connote how sad they are. If you aren’t that, then I am not talking about you.

I have no hatred to white people and do not feel any superiority to anyone because of my race. I also do not discriminate against others, but I have read posts and posters on here who may as well be saying that about other groups.

We had a poster on this forum who advocated against race mixing and instead of banishment, that post got a few daps and it was his choice to leave this section of the forum. (He wasn’t banned)

By the definition of many not on this forum, I am not a racist and not even close. But this forum has a different definition of racist.

Isn't there a historical connection between economic mobility & political will?  If people (in general) are beaten down financially they lose a lot of motivation to get involved in other issues.  Keep people looking for their next dollar and that concern takes precedence.  Take it a step further, with half the government telling these people to blame black & brown folks for their problems and it becomes a dangerous mix. 

I suppose if people are beaten down enough into submission then revolution happens, but our corporate-government masters seem to always come up with the right formula to beat people down but keep a glimmer of hope ignited juuuuust out of reach.

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

We has a poster on this forum who advocated against race mixing and instead of banishment, that post got a few daps and it was his choice to leave this section of the forum. (He wasn’t banned)

By the definition of everyone not on this forum, I am not a racist and not even close. But this forum has a different definition of racist.

This is true.  I do not understand why he was not banned.  

Still wish you hadn't posted this article, I'm not sure what you were hoping for, but it doesn't look like you got it.

You know the issue @BenningRoadSkin. Its the generalization of 'white people' and not 'some white people' or even 'most white people'. If someone did the same or similar in regards to us you know what the deal would be. 

Add for spice: Even if it was all white people, you would never solve the problem by being that blatant about it. I know we disagree here. 

I would post, but realizing i am white, and apparently that means we are ALL cowards.. i was afraid to.

I went out and hung out with my unemployed black neighbors.. til my asian wife called me in to look at a bunch of math she just did.

People who fight for equality should recognize how demeaning it is when you follow the same playbook of generalization your oppressors did.

People are individuals. How is this lost again?

~Bang

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Still wish you hadn't posted this article, I'm not sure what you were hoping for, but it doesn't look like you got it.

As much as I don't like the article itself, I have felt like a good chunk of this thread has been productive... But just like this country, there was some stuff that wasn't cool (Like the title of the article itself. lol) and that is the thing we focused most of our attention on.

But stuff like this needs to happen more. If racism is to end, there has to be painful discussions taking place in all aspects of life.

... You know what I'm saying. lol

12 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

As much as I don't like the post itself, I have felt like a good chunk of this thread has been productive... But just like this country, there was some stuff that wasn't cool (Like the title of the article itself. lol) and that is the thing we focused most of our attention on.

But stuff like this needs to happen more. If racism is to end, there has to be painful discussions taking place in all aspects of life.

... You know what I'm saying. lol

I disagree, broad generalizations are not a conversation starter.  Broad generalizations is huge reason the cop thread is 119 pages or why we went into Iraq thinking difference between sunni and shia doesn't matter. 

The painful discussion is that racism will never end, all we can do is limit the influence of people that feel that way best we can, either via people standing up to it or laws enforcing it. If the goal is to end racism instead of the influence racism has on our institutions, some of yall are just going to get your feeling hurt.

As noted in my favorite movie, Bulworth, we all need to keep f'n until we're all the same color, may then it will be gone, but not before.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I disagree, broad generalizations are not a conversation starter.  Broad generalizations is huge reason the cop thread is 119 pages or why we went into Iraq thinking difference between sunni and shia doesn't matter. 

The painful discussion is that racism will never end, all we can do is limit the influence of people that feel that way best we can, either via people standing up to it or laws enforcing it. If the goal is to end racism instead of the influence racism has on our institutions, some of yall are just going to get your feeling hurt.

As noted in my favorite movie, Bulworth, we all need to keep f'n until we're all the same color, may then it will be gone, but not before.

Maybe THIS particular subject shouldn't be a conversation starter, I get it... And I don't think racism will ever "end", but I don't think it's something we should accept. So I will tackle it as if I'm trying to end no matter how farfetched it seems.

But again, you're probably right. Probably don't need to start the topic off with, "You're a coward".

I'm white and I don't much care for generalizations, sure. But I think that, while there are many questions that can be raised about the piece, this is a time when there is a pretty overwhelming public good in provocation, especially of the intellectual sort.

I have a high degree of confidence that the author both meant what he wrote *and* that he understood the necessity in catalyzing tough talk about racism. And make no mistake, this is a country that is unthinkable without its multiple histories of racism.

I sympathize with a very large amount of the posts Benning makes, and I have to say that I get a little bit frustrated with "what if white people did this?" posts. If white people made those claims while *also* bearing the brunt of 400 years of systematic mistreatment at the hands of non-white people, then maybe there'd be the start of some equivalency.

But let's start from where we *are.* I know that as a privileged white male, it is my responsibility - as a beneficiary of Whiteness - to listen to my sisters and brothers of color so that I might tread more lightly in this world and hopefully make it a little less ****ty.

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is true.  I do not understand why he was not banned.  

I don't regret posting the article.

The headline was inflammatory but honestly, people need to stop being "nice" about discussing things like this. This is a dangerous time in our country.

33 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You know the issue @BenningRoadSkin. Its the generalization of 'white people' and not 'some white people' or even 'most white people'. If someone did the same or similar in regards to us you know what the deal would be. 

Add for spice: Even if it was all white people, you would never solve the problem by being that blatant about it. I know we disagree here. 

We have posters on this forum, and a mod, who generalize groups of people all the time. There is not much of a response to it.

This article was not intended to solve racism. It was intended to take the steps to solve racism.

26 minutes ago, Bang said:

I would post, but realizing i am white, and apparently that means we are ALL cowards.. i was afraid to.

I went out and hung out with my unemployed black neighbors.. til my asian wife called me in to look at a bunch of math she just did.

People who fight for equality should recognize how demeaning it is when you follow the same playbook of generalization your oppressors did.

People are individuals. How is this lost again?

~Bang

Bang, you seem a good dude on here (i don't say that to diss, I say that because I have never met you off this site). You are right leaning and yet you talk that stuff. I rarely disagree with you on stuff too, and when we bucked heads its always cordial because I know your heart is in the right place even if we disagree.

And I agree with you regarding not doing what the oppressors do. I just don't think this article was actually doing what the oppressors do.

9 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Maybe THIS particular subject shouldn't be a conversation starter, I get it... And I don't think racism will ever "end", but I don't think it's something we should accept. So I will tackle it as if I'm trying to end no matter how farfetched it seems.

But again, you're probably right. Probably don't need to start the topic off with, "You're a coward".

Pretty much where I stand on this thread.  To me, ending racism is like saying were going to end cancer or police brutality, there is no acceptable level, zero should be the goal even if we never get there.

12 minutes ago, JCB said:

I'm white and I don't much care for generalizations, sure. But I think that, while there are many questions that can be raised about the piece, this is a time when there is a pretty overwhelming public good in provocation, especially of the intellectual sort.

I have a high degree of confidence that the author both meant what he wrote *and* that he understood the necessity in catalyzing tough talk about racism. And make no mistake, this is a country that is unthinkable without its multiple histories of racism.

I sympathize with a very large amount of the posts Benning makes, and I have to say that I get a little bit frustrated with "what if white people did this?" posts. If white people made those claims while *also* bearing the brunt of 400 years of systematic mistreatment at the hands of non-white people, then maybe there'd be the start of some equivalency.

But let's start from where we *are.* I know that as a privileged white male, it is my responsibility - as a beneficiary of Whiteness - to listen to my sisters and brothers of color so that I might tread more lightly in this world and hopefully make it a little less ****ty.

thanks dog. This is all im saying.

And I had to ignore the "well if this was said about black people," stuff because its lazy thinking. Its intentionally lazy thinking because they a) didn't read b)don't know about the history of this country c) don't care about the history of this country.

I paid it no mind because I knew they didn't bother.

I know the article was inflammatory but that was the point.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

This article was not intended to solve racism. It was intended to take the steps to solve racism.

The author failed miserably if that was the intention. (that's probably an understatement on my part)

18 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I don't regret posting the article.

The headline was inflammatory but honestly, people need to stop being "nice" about discussing things like this. This is a dangerous time in our country.

We have posters on this forum, and a mod, who generalize groups of people all the time. There is not much of a response to it.

Bang, you seem a good dude on here (i don't say that to diss, I say that because I have never met you off this site). You are right leaning and yet you talk that stuff. I rarely disagree with you on stuff too, and when we bucked heads its always cordial because I know your heart is in the right place even if we disagree.

And I agree with you regarding not doing what the oppressors do. I just don't think this article was actually doing what the oppressors do.

Thanks,  and my comment wasn't personal, as I am sure you know.

The article may not, but the title sure does, and i'll go one further, but it is true now that the coating "white people" is firmly acceptable when painting with broad brush strokes. I can see it may have been the author's intent to shock, but a lot of folks will believe only the title, and admittedly, it is the part that caught my eye and obviously prompted my post. .

People are individuals.

This lesson seems to have been lost in the struggle to be seen as individuals who's merits are entirely individual, and not some mass of racial stereotypes.

Personally, I don't really get offended by such things because it's not really any skin off my nose..  however, as we have seen from the past (again) if the broadbrushing continues, people believe it, and before long the shoes may be on other feet, but they walk the same path.

I also recognize that this time in your people's struggle is very frustrating, because much had been accomplished that now seems to be all being torn apart with a laugh and a sneer right before your eyes. The roaches are out  and emboldened. In this we have a very common enemy. I agree that those laughing and sneering need to be put back in their box.(they won't change.) And i agree that it is a goal we must all help achieve, because "your" people and "my" people are the same people in this. Diminishing you diminishes me and vice versa.

I've got your back BRS..  just don't want to see the same traps open up again with different words attached.

~Bang

15 minutes ago, JCB said:

I sympathize with a very large amount of the posts Benning makes, and I have to say that I get a little bit frustrated with "what if white people did this?" posts. If white people made those claims while *also* bearing the brunt of 400 years of systematic mistreatment at the hands of non-white people, then maybe there'd be the start of some equivalency

Exactly this. It makes a difference when you take everything in account. And before someone comes in here (like they always do) and says something about slavery was 400 years ago blah blah blah....my preemptive response is Heritage not Hate (****). 

14 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

True. I peeded that. All things being equal I dont care about them, but we are almost from the same place and learned alot of the same things so I probably do expect a little more from you than I do most folks. That and your black. You know where im going with that. 

9 minutes ago, Bang said:

I also recognize that this time in your people's struggle is very frustrating, because much had been accomplished that now seems to be all being torn apart with a laugh and a sneer right before your eyes. The roaches are out  and emboldened. In this we have a very common enemy. I agree that those laughing and sneering need to be put back in their box.(they won't change.) And i agree that it is a goal we must all help achieve, because "your" people and "my" people are the same people in this. Diminishing you diminishes me and vice versa.

I've got your back BRS..  just don't want to see the same traps open up again with different words attached.

~Bang

you are good at this. 

Archived