Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

22 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So are the Dems and/or media going to be bold enough to straight up call the President out as a liar over this sham RBI investigation or will they continue to parse words?

Kinda but not really. As is the cycle. 

I do wonder if the GOP really thinks the BK story is over after confirmation? I can't imagine the media dropping the story anytime soon and it appears there are dozens of people who have interviews worth giving (that the FBI couldn't talk to) in regards to BKs history. 

That said..were what 48 hours after finding out about Trump's tax fraud (and the 18 months of research that webt into discovering the trail of lies) and one is talking about that anymore. 

Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/why-murkowski-still-opposed-will-be-marked-present-on-kavanaugh/ar-BBO0j1U?ocid=spartandhp

Why Murkowski, still opposed, will be marked 'present' on Kavanaugh

More than a 1,000 miles from Washington, wedding bells in Montana on Saturday will cause one Republican senator to change how her vote on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh is tallied.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said Friday she ultimately will be marked as "present" rather than a "no" when the Senate is expected to confirm Kavanaugh to the nation's highest court. She will be using the "pair between senators" procedure so that Republican Sen. Steve Daines can walk his daughter down the aisle on her wedding day.

Murkowski said on the Senate floor that she is still a 'no" on Kavanaugh

"While I voted no on cloture today, and I will be a no tomorrow, I will, in the final tally, be asked to be recorded as 'present,'" she said.
The procedure is called a “pair between senators,” according to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s office. The senator who is on Capitol Hill would announce how the absent senator would have voted, and the present senator would announce they voted in the opposite way, but that vote is withdrawn and they are recorded as present, according to McConnell’s office.

•  
  •  

13 hours ago, TP said:

You may be allowing your very strong views to cloud your judgment.  Maybe I am too, but I still believe half of America is celebrating the impending elevation of Judge Kavanaugh, a man who clearly believes the Constitution means what it says.

Also, I completely disagree with your characterization of the Judge, although I am sure quite a few of my fellow conservatives are saying many of the same things about Dr. Ford.

But it's not just my views. It's the views of the American Bar Association. The views of thousands of sitting judges. Even Catholic Nuns (probably the most pro life group in existence) came out against him. All these professional groups and pretty much every major group inn the legal field put their name down on paper to say Kavanaugh is unfit.

He is temperamentally unsuitable. He can't be dispassionate or a fair arbiter of facts.

He is an unrepentant liar of big facts and small. He perjures under oath repeatedly.

He has been brainwashed by conservative conspiracies.

Even if you remove Dr. Blasey Ford's accusations and all the other ones. Even if you ignore his room mates, friends, and all the other corroborating (and ignored) witness who spoke to his violence, anger, and drinking habits. Even if you remove the fact that by Kavanaugh's own written standards he is unfit to serve... the man is an appallingly inappropriate choice.

@Burgold

Is there a specific reason that all of those groups oppose Kavanaugh?  I've read repeatedly that they oppose him for the SC, but I don't recall their particular reasoning.  Is it the Ford testimony?  Is it his actions during the hearing?  His voting record?  I'm curious if they all have the same mindset as to why they oppose him.

37 minutes ago, Springfield said:

@Burgold

Is there a specific reason that all of those groups oppose Kavanaugh?  I've read repeatedly that they oppose him for the SC, but I don't recall their particular reasoning.  Is it the Ford testimony?  Is it his actions during the hearing?  His voting record?  I'm curious if they all have the same mindset as to why they oppose him.

In terms of Stephens, I believe he said that his temperament was entirely unjudicial. He said SCOTUS deals with hot issues and the ability to keep a cool head is paramount (paraphrasing). I think the ABA sited both temperament and an inability to be a neutral party. I didn't read what the Nuns had to say just saw the headlines.

The ABA probably also had huge problems with Kavanaugh's lying. For all we joke about lawyers and the truth, lying is taken very seriously in judicial circles. Not sure if they cited it, but that's probably because they are lawyers and don't want to make an accusation until it's criminally proven. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

But it's not just my views. It's the views of the American Bar Association. The views of thousands of sitting judges. Even Catholic Nuns (probably the most pro life group in existence) came out against him. All these professional groups and pretty much every major group inn the legal field put their name down on paper to say Kavanaugh is unfit.

He is temperamentally unsuitable. He can't be dispassionate or a fair arbiter of facts.

He is an unrepentant liar of big facts and small. He perjures under oath repeatedly.

Even if you remove Dr. Blasey Ford's accusations and all the other ones. Even if you ignore his room mates, friends, and all the other corroborating (and ignored) witness who spoke to his violence, anger, and drinking habits. Even if you remove the fact that by Kavanaugh's own written standards he is unfit to serve... the man is an appallingly inappropriate choice.

0k, after two weeks of sturm-und-drang, accusations, name calling, tears, protests, charges, counter charges and Kavanaugh shielding himself with his daughters like Martin Sheen in The Dead Zone, who is genuinely surprised at the outcome? The Rs mumbled, bumbled, stumbled through, looked right in the camera and lied to your face and then rammed it in like every cynically realistic person knew they would.

Shocking! There's gambling in this establishment?!!?

<insert derisive snort here>

Edited by LD0506

Just like you, I could list dozens of groups who support Judge Kavanaugh but that is not relevant to my claim that 1/2 of America is celebrating.  I’m talking about the citizens of America.

Also, what if I said this about Dr. Ford, realizing that she is not a nominee:

She is temperamentally unstable.

She has brought serious charges against a man but not one single witness among the ones SHE named will confirm her story.  Some outright refuted her story.  Not one other corroborating witness has been found even after a second FBI investigation.

She continually lied, misrepresented and perjured herself during her testimony.

She was brainwashed and used by her left wing lawyers and the Democrat Party.

Now, I don’t want to get into a debate about either Dr. Ford or Judge Kavanaugh.  Reasonable people can disagree and still be civil.  Dr. Ford is a sympathetic figure to me, pitiable really, and I wish her well but there are always two sides to every story.  We judge by the evidence and there was none in this case....none!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The ABA probably also had huge problems with Kavanaugh's lying. For all we joke about lawyers and the truth, lying is taken very seriously in judicial circles. Not sure if they cited it, but that's probably because they are lawyers and don't want to make an accusation until it's criminally proven. 

Very well could be about this. Once the precedent is set that it's no big deal for a nominee to fabricate and lie under oath, when they think it is necessary, in order to get in, it will soon go from the exception to the rule/norm.

I had people on my FB feed arguing that they don't care how much he lies, as long as he says what he needs to, to get confirmed because "millions of lives are on the line" which I could assume was referring to Roe. v. Wade.

1 minute ago, TP said:

Just like you, I could list dozens of groups who support Judge Kavanaugh but that is not relevant to my claim that 1/2 of America is celebrating.  I’m talking about the citizens of America.

I don't know if I'd say half.  Support for Kavanaugh is high among Republicans, but not Dems or Independents, and you can't ignore that those identifying as Republicans keeps dropping, so when you see polls that say "Support high among Republicans" the truth behind that it is high among an increasingly smaller amount of people.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TP said:

She continually lied, misrepresented and perjured herself during her testimony.

She was brainwashed and used by her left wing lawyers and the Democrat Party.

Bull****. This totally discredits you or suggests you never watched a second of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We really need to make sure the FBI is independent of the President and that the President can't pull the kind of crap he just did in future investigations.

Like, what they just did is 100% out of the playbook of authoritarians.

Control the outcome of the investigation from the start.  When you get the results you crafted by manipulating the investigation, parade them around.

Shoot, all the norms Trump keeps breaking need to be enshrined into law.

As for Brett Kavanaugh, this battle isn't over.  The GOP showed us which rocks to turn over by forbidding super specific rocks.  Brett will not have a happy tenure.  He's gonna wish he withdrew before he's finished with.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Bull****. This totally discredits you or suggests you never watched a second of it.

You understand that when there are any inconsistencies, both sides will interpret them more or less charitably based on who is inconsistent. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, grego said:

You understand that when there are any inconsistencies, both sides will interpret them more or less charitably based on who is inconsistent. 

True, but the criticism of Ford is ironic because on one hand, the detractors were saying "This was 30 years ago, how is it even possible she could remember this stuff" then any time inconsistency about the story (which was really irrelevant to the alleged assault itself) they would say "seeeee she is a liar"

So you kind of can't have it both ways. Either it is hard to remember tiny details from 30 years ago or it isn't.