Vanguard

Is this the best Defensive Front we've had in years?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah it's a strange thread to discuss Payne in, but I brought him up because I think he's got an unusually similar build to Martin.  Extreme power and quick twitch musculature packed into a compact, slightly undersized frame.  Payne is more explosive and much more flexible.  Bigger bubble and lower half too.  The upper bodies look the same.  They're the same height and weight, have the same hand size, and Martin's arms are only a quarter inch shorter than Payne's.  These guys are block of granite types who were undervalued (IMO) because they fell below standards for height and weight and lankiness and reach.

 I thought I'd wake this thread back up, as it's one of my favorites. 

McQueen, I agree about the type of athlete Payne is. His numbers don't do him justice. I love watching his combine workout below. He looks like he could step in and play MLB. I don't mean that as an exaggeration. 

 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/daron-payne?id=32462018-0002-5600-68ba-6b48873dba9b

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be in the minority here but I think Sweat has the chance to have a double digit sack season.  With the interior front we have as well as Kerrigan on the other side, there is no way he gets double teamed.  That speed off the edge will be a massive problem on 3rd and long situations.  All he has to do is show well in camp and I think he will quickly take over as the starter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I may be in the minority here but I think Sweat has the chance to have a double digit sack season.  With the interior front we have as well as Kerrigan on the other side, there is no way he gets double teamed.  That speed off the edge will be a massive problem on 3rd and long situations.  All he has to do is show well in camp and I think he will quickly take over as the starter.  

 

I can't wait for all of the breakdowns from that guy saying, "It's gonna be a problem!" 😂 Also, I think I underestimated Sweat's speed rush because I was enamored with Burns. Sweat IS fast. Sure, he ran a 4.41, but his 10 yard split was an excellent 1.55 and it shows on tape. 

 

 

55 seconds Great get off and speed

1:31 Great speed and bend

1:43 Hand use and speed and bend

1:55 great get off and speed

2:10 Great speed and bend

2:22 Great speed

 

I'm stopping there. It's getting to be every play. I don't see any reason he can't get 10 this year and be a 12-15 sack guy eventually. I think I underestimated the pick. He could be a longer, faster JPP. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have more faith with this line with Sweat compared to Preston. Preston just never hit that next level. Solid player but never a all star player. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

30 sacks a season guy.

They will rename the stadium after him.

 

Sweat Field.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

They will rename the stadium after him.

 

Sweat Field.

Team too, the Washington Sweatskins

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Team too, the Washington Sweatskins

The moment Montez Sweat retires, God himself will make it so that on hot ass days beads of Montez Sweat will trickle down the foreheads of all!!!! (literally every bead of Sweat is the face of Montez Sweat)

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

 

Sweat for President in 2020

He will be so dominant that all the Chuck Norris jokes will use Montez Sweat’s name

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is probably the most explosive defender Redskins have drafted since Arrington. Bailey, Orakpo, Kerrigan all were/are good to great players but this kid has 'explosive talent' all over the field. Only Arrignton compares based on film highlights. This really desn't mean a lot (see Arrington, who was outperformed from a career spect by Kerrigan), but damn, we got a special player here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

They'll make a men's cologne after him - "Yes Sweat"

That would be much better than this.

 

booty-sweat.jpg?resize=136,250

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I may be in the minority here but I think Sweat has the chance to have a double digit sack season.  With the interior front we have as well as Kerrigan on the other side, there is no way he gets double teamed.  That speed off the edge will be a massive problem on 3rd and long situations.  All he has to do is show well in camp and I think he will quickly take over as the starter.  

 

 

I think his biggest strength will be his ability to run down running plays from the weak side of the OL. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just imagining our defense this year if we actually signed CJ Mosley and didn’t cut Swearinger. Would have been so good. Guaranteed top 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

We now present the Montez Sweat trophy to this year's Super Bowl Champion Washington Redskins.

You mean the Montez Sweat trophy to this year's Montezuper Sweat Champion the Montezon Sweatskins

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 8:53 AM, Bonez3 said:

He is probably the most explosive defender Redskins have drafted since Arrington. Bailey, Orakpo, Kerrigan all were/are good to great players but this kid has 'explosive talent' all over the field. Only Arrignton compares based on film highlights. This really desn't mean a lot (see Arrington, who was outperformed from a career spect by Kerrigan), but damn, we got a special player here.

Bailey as in Champ Bailey? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 8:32 AM, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

They'll make a men's cologne after him - "Yes Sweat"

 

On 5/7/2019 at 10:26 PM, Blue Collar Skins said:

 

Sweat for President in 2020

 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, KillBill26 said:

They will rename the stadium after him.

 

Sweat Field.

 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:16 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Team too, the Washington Sweatskins

 

On 5/8/2019 at 5:22 AM, -JB- said:

The moment Montez Sweat retires, God himself will make it so that on hot ass days beads of Montez Sweat will trickle down the foreheads of all!!!! (literally every bead of Sweat is the face of Montez Sweat)

 

On 5/8/2019 at 6:25 AM, Riggo'sRangers said:

We now present the Montez Sweat trophy to this year's Super Bowl Champion Washington Redskins.

 

On 5/8/2019 at 7:09 AM, JaxJoe said:

He will be so dominant that all the Chuck Norris jokes will use Montez Sweat’s name

 

Got all y'all twisted over him...

 

#Sweat

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.