Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

42 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

We could see the starters as Allen, Settle, and Iaonnids (honestly in most any order) – add in Lanier for passing downs and an underrated dline from last year should take the next step to being dominating.  If Phil Taylor can stay healthy, including Hood, McGee and maybe McClain (although we are inclined to release him even with the dead CAP – just don’t tell his agent), there should be decent depth unless of course we have the same rash of injuries as last year.

McGee, McClain, and Hood, so gross, just threw up in my mouth.  A short time ago we had overpaid camp fodder starting along our DL. Now we haveAllen, Payne, Ion, Settle, Brantley; all five guys are startable and when healthy this is one of the best DLs in the league.

I have never been high on Preston Smith, so letting him walk and bringing in Sweat is a huge upgrade. It's all paper and potential right now, but unless Sweat's heart condition proves to be a real problem, I'm confident our starting OLB situation is improved.

Rueben Foster > Zach Brown. It's a shame that he didn't pan out here, many of us, including myself were high on him. Unfortunately his freak ability couldn't overcome his lack of football IQ. Would love to see SDH, JHC, or Holcomb overthrow Mason and walk his ass out of town. But for now, he's the only weak link the front seven.

Barring injuries, if the defense isn't top 10, it will be the secondary to blame.

Settle

That’s the dude that can make the front elite. We can’t run the front 3 into the ground & Settle can play any of the 3 spots on the line, but most importantly, he can free Payne to play a spot that frees him to split gaps rather than hold 2.

I thought he was a top 40 prospect in last years draft, but the NT spot is of lesser importance than it used to be, so top 75 makes sense, seemingly along the lines of where we had him. 

Imagine the 49ers, who had Jonathan Allen fall into their laps in the 2017 draft, but chose Solomon Thomas instead, who has bust written all over him.  And who knows what sort of positive influence Allen could have been to R. Foster in SF.  John Lynch definitely had his welcome to the NFL moment that draft.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Imagine the 49ers, who had Jonathan Allen fall into their laps in the 2017 draft, but chose Solomon Thomas instead, who has bust written all over him.  And who knows what sort of positive influence Allen could have been to R. Foster in SF.  John Lynch definitely had his welcome to the NFL moment that draft.

Solomon Thomas' sister committed suicide last summer, he's been dealing with a ton of personal issues because of it. I think it's fair to give him a year or two before he's determined a bust. SF also has been playing him at the wrong position since he's been drafted. Jonathan Allen still should have been the pick though. 

11 hours ago, volsmet said:

Settle

That’s the dude that can make the front elite. We can’t run the front 3 into the ground & Settle can play any of the 3 spots on the line, but most importantly, he can free Payne to play a spot that frees him to split gaps rather than hold 2.

I thought he was a top 40 prospect in last years draft, but the NT spot is of lesser importance than it used to be, so top 75 makes sense, seemingly along the lines of where we had him. 

My first reaction was that this is a great point, and my second reaction is that Settle is also far and away at his best when splitting gaps. One of the great things about both Payne and Allen is that they can both hold their ground at the POA in the run game, controlling two gaps if necessary, but can also both excel in an aggressive one gap scheme.

I, like you would be inclined to employ an aggressive one gap scheme, given that our talent is really on the DL. My only worry is that our starting LB's are both on the small/fragile side. I wonder if we can keep them clean just by virtue of our DL living in the backfield if we one gap and are aggressive. This defense would have been just incredible with CJ Mosley. I still hope we can find that caliber ILB at some point, but I think it isn't going to be a point of emphasis for the front office. We were hot and heavy after Mosley when we didn't know what Foster's suspension status was. I also see us focusing a lot of resources on offense in the future, now that we have Haskins. 

I am very curious as to what is Settle's year two best case scenario. If he is an Ioannidis caliber player, then our defense should be top 10 caliber, at a minimum. 

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

My first reaction was that this is a great point, and my second reaction is that Settle is also far and away at his best when splitting gaps. One of the great things about both Payne and Allen is that they can both hold their ground at the POA in the run game, controlling two gaps if necessary, but can also both excel in an aggressive one gap scheme.

I, like you would be inclined to employ an aggressive one gap scheme, given that our talent is really on the DL. My only worry is that our starting LB's are both on the small/fragile side. I wonder if we can keep them clean just by virtue of our DL living in the backfield if we one gap and are aggressive. This defense would have been just incredible with CJ Mosley. I still hope we can find that caliber ILB at some point, but I think it isn't going to be a point of emphasis for the front office. We were hot and heavy after Mosley when we didn't know what Foster's suspension status was. I also see us focusing a lot of resources on offense in the future, now that we have Haskins. 

I am very curious as to what is Settle's year two best case scenario. If he is an Ioannidis caliber player, then our defense should be top 10 caliber, at a minimum. 

Absolutely. Settle is a monster when he can just explode, that’s what makes him a great prospect to develop, the guys who can’t play a 1g are typically rotational — the nt has become devalued because of the spread & shotgun, but Timmy can line up anywhere in the front ... he plays infinitely faster than his abysmal testing Times would indicate; it will be interesting to see what he looks like at his new weight, I know some teams removed him because they doubted how seriously he took the game ... all signs indicate he’s ready to prove he’s a pro, not a goofy kid, which was a common label attached to him from scouts — reports on his maturity were not particularly flattering.

TS is unique in his ability to give us flexibility, I love the kid.

Https:// www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-depth-chart-only-argument-defensive-line-who-best

Tim Settle, a second-year pro out of Virginia Tech, got to spend the last year in an NFL weight program. He's looked much stronger when spotted walking the halls in Ashburn, and that could get him on the field more this fall.

Ask some of the Redskins defensive coaches, and they'll talk at length about third-year man Caleb Brantley. An early season addition last year, Brantley didn't play much for Washington in 2018, though he showed promise in Cleveland as a rookie.

Settle and Brantley got drafted later than many expected, and with the time invested in the weight room and tutelage from defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, it wouldn't be crazy to see development on the same scale as Ioannidis. He went from a late round rookie to a significant contributor, and inside the walls at Redskins Park, folks think the same could happen with Brantley or Settle. Maybe both. 

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So the day 2 pick up that showed a lot of improvement is less talented than the late round pick that hasn't done anything, but be less fat? 

Yes. The 2nd year, rotational Edge, who grades out atrociously as a pass rusher, is less talented than Settle. 

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Yes. The 2nd year, rotational Edge, who grades out atrociously as a pass rusher, is less talented than Settle. 

So, sack QBs is the complete measure of an OLB and maintaining weight in the film room equals on field production. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, sack QBs is the complete measure of an OLB and maintaining weight in the film room equals on field production. Thanks.

Strawman, good to see you not holding back.

giphy.gif

The key to our defense especially on the d line is not the starters but our depth. In past years we might have had guys who on paper looked like good starters but we had washed up as our backups. I’m glad we’re not counting on guys like Phil Taylor to resurrect their career. In today’s game you need to have quality hungry and young backups and that’s what we have with Settle and Brantley. 

Settle is a beast and only 21 years old. While he may play nose or inside most of the time, he has the ability to play across the whole line. I like the upside of Brantley but he needs to put it together this year for us to be considered a top defense. 

We played Allen, Payne, and Ionnadis a lot last year. I rather see a lot of rotation to keep guys fresh and God knows we will have injuries like we always do so one of those guys will need to be able to step in. It would be nice to see one of the camp fodders show something and we can add to our depth. 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why is everyone so high on Settle and low on Anderson? Serious question. 

It's because Anderson was drafted as an edge rusher when he never had the athletic talent or production to justify that pick. He is slow and lacks short area explosion. He is short, but also not long limbed. You don't draft a player in the second round just to set the edge. They won't see the field. And, that's exactly what's happened. Anderson has two sacks in two years and the team has tried to make use of him in some way by trying him at other positions, like FB. I can't think of a team ever playing a good pass rusher at FB. Also, good pass rushers aren't built like FB's. 

Settle is a really big and talented player that DOES have the requisite size to play his position and also is extremely explosive when it comes to short area quickness and gap penetration. I missed the second Dallas game, but apparently Settle may have had the best game of any of our DT's all year in that game. He's young. He's worked hard and changed his body. People have every reason to have at least some hope that Settle can become a real impact defender. 

Archived