Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Sweat, Allen, Payne, Ion, Kerrigan is ridiculous.

Comparisons:

I think Foster is a lock to be a top 5 lb if he’s on the field. 

I agree with Foster being a top 5 LB if on the field. 

The closer I look at Sweat, the more I like him. Top pressure 3 in pressure rate over the last 3 years, behind Bosa, but above Burns and Josh Allen. Top run stop percentage amongst edge rushers in the class. Look how much better Sweat's 10 yard split is than Myles Garrett and Jadaveon Clowney! That is crazy stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree with Foster being a top 5 LB if on the field. 

The closer I look at Sweat, the more I like him. Top pressure 3 in pressure rate over the last 3 years, behind Bosa, but above Burns and Josh Allen. Top run stop percentage amongst edge rushers in the class. Look how much better Sweat's 10 yard split is than Myles Garrett and Jadaveon Clowney! That is crazy stuff. 

He is going to be immensely uncomfortable to line up against. 

Who is the commentator who's schtick is to repeatedly say, "It's gonna be a problem."? Volsmet, you need to make a gif of him saying that we we can all steal it and have it for general purpose use when talking about this defensive front, Bryce Love, Chris Thompson's health, etc. 

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Who is the commentator who's schtick is to repeatedly say, "It's gonna be a problem."? Volsmet, you need to make a gif of him saying that we we can all steal it and have it for general purpose use when talking about this defensive front, Bryce Love, Chris Thompson's health, etc. 

22 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I think Brian Baldinger.

Looks like it's already begun to be copied on twitter quotes.

Someone posted something about McLaurin on twitter, using Baldy's quote.

I don’t ever have sound on during an NFL game, I watch them all during the week, I don’t watch much on Sunday’s. I do love the phrase with those players, we finally have some explosive guys on the roster - guys who make you pay for a false step, that puts pressure on the mental side as well as the physical, obviously; we’ve been a plodding team in an era of more freaks than have ever been in the league, now we have a team with enough gifted athletes that a freak like Foster gets forgotten about from time to time. That’s the move of the offseason imo ... I find it hard to believe we have Foster, Payne, Allen & Sweat on the roster... we’re gonna be a problem.

Jason Garrett checking the Redskins roster:

tenor.gif?itemid=4780644

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Looks like it's already begun to be copied on twitter quotes.

Someone posted something about McLaurin on twitter, using Baldy's quote.

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pff-data-study-coverage-vs-pass-rush

PFF Data Study: Coverage vs. Pass Rush

BY ERIC EAGER AND GEORGE CHAHROURI • MAY 7, 2019

You can't just drop that with no summary! They basically said that coverage looks more important but is less predictable. Specifically, they said that next year's Aaron Donald is likely to be Aaron Donald, but that next year's Stephon Gilmore is unlikely to be Stephon Gilmore.

I am still unsure of LB, mostly because of health, but beyond that, our defensive front could be other worldly. I still think we need an infusion of elite CB talent and speed. We could really use a true CB1. A shut down type guy that can help negate another team's best weapon. I think Dunbar, Moreau, Stroman, Alexander and Moreland would be a really good core, behind a truly elite CB1. Most elite defenses have at least one elite guy at every level of the defense, and we still don't have that guy in coverage. 

18 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We were a top 5 defense for a while last year until we kind of fell apart. If Foster becomes an all-pro we're staring at a legitimate top 3 defense (talent-wise) capable of being the best depending on matchups and how good the offenses we faced were in comparison to the other top defenses. This is probably the most excited i've ever been about our defense tbh. 

If our O line can stay healthy, we should be a pretty dominant run team. Nothing helps a defense, or a new QB, as much as that. I generally only enjoy watching defense and this is the most excited I've been In a very long time.

FS and most of the secondary is spotty. Norman and Landry (Landry is extremely exciting) are solid, but nothing else is. Hope the coaching changes help. 

Its infuriating to think our defense is great, then get absolutely opened up by teams like NO.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not many people talking about Settle.

He reportedly had a good offseason.

Around the same time in Ioan's career, he had a great offseason of workouts and the next season was his breakout.

Imagine if Settle stands out this year. This will be a great rotation. And one that we will want to renew when all the contracts come up.

Gonna be hard to afford them all. Nice thing about these rookie contracts.

Im right with you on this one.  I think Settle could be a monster. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:09 AM, volsmet said:

I could watch Ioannidis flossin' and throwing Ezekiel Elliot all day long. The latter highlight alone earns him a permanent space in my heart. You have to think that Ioannidis has a 10 sack season in him. He seems to start fast and then wear out or get injured. Hopefully Settle can spell him more and everyone on the DL can stay more fresh. I hope Anderson has a little more in him this year. Kerrigan and Sweat are going to need a little rest too. 

What do you guys think of Caleb Brantley? 

19 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I could watch Ioannidis flossin' and throwing Ezekiel Elliot all day long. The latter highlight alone earns him a permanent space in my heart. You have to think that Ioannidis has a 10 sack season in him. He seems to start fast and then wear out or get injured. Hopefully Settle can spell him more and everyone on the DL can stay more fresh. I hope Anderson has a little more in him this year. Kerrigan and Sweat are going to need a little rest too. 

With about half the reps Allen and Payne got he accumulated 7.5 sacks. Theres no question in my mind he's a 10+ sack guy with the same reps they got. Hes our best interior pass rusher right now. 

The verdict is still out on Brantley, hes always had the potential. I'm not sure if he'll ever put it all together, but If there's one guy that can unlock his potential, its Jim Tomsula. 

5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

With about half the reps Allen and Payne got he accumulated 7.5 sacks. Theres no question in my mind he's a 10+ sack guy with the same reps they got. Hes our best interior pass rusher right now. 

The verdict is still out on Brantley, hes always had the potential. I'm not sure if he'll ever put it all together, but If there's one guy that can unlock his potential, its Jim Tomsula. 

Pretty amazing to have 5 possible 10+ sack guys (Kerrigan, Sweat, Payne, Allen, Iaon) and potentially Settle too. 

You have to be pretty selective who you double. Sweat and Ru bring a lot of that missing speed to the front of our defense. Collins is a pretty amazing upgrade as well. Wont be able to just sneak RBs and TEs out into the zone anymore. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty amazing to have 5 possible 10+ sack guys (Kerrigan, Sweat, Payne, Allen, Iaon) and potentially Settle too. 

You have to be pretty selective who you double. Sweat and Ru bring a lot of that missing speed to the front of our defense. Collins is a pretty amazing upgrade as well. Wont be able to just sneak RBs and TEs out into the zone anymore. 

I think that's a little optimistic. Allen will hopefully become a 10 sack guy, but I don't think that is going to be Payne or Settle and Ioannidis has shown he's basically a 7 sack guy, even if he has an outlier year and grabs 12 at some point. Sweat should be a better than 10 sack a year guy, but perhaps not as a rookie. If I were a betting man, I'd guess conservatively and say:

Kerrigan-12     Payne-5    Allen-8    Ioannidis-7  Settle-2  Sweat-7

Still, 41 sacks from the DL and OLB's is extremely solid when you figure that you are also going to get some sacks from your backup OLB's, ILB's and secondary.

Also, it would really, really help our defense if our passing and scoring offense became more prolific. If we put teams in a position where we know they are going to pass, we now have guys that can pin their ears back. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think that's a little optimistic. Allen will hopefully become a 10 sack guy, but I don't think that is going to be Payne or Settle and Ioannidis has shown he's basically a 7 sack guy, even if he has an outlier year and grabs 12 at some point. Sweat should be a better than 10 sack a year guy, but perhaps not as a rookie. If I were a betting man, I'd guess conservatively and say:

Still, 41 sacks from the DL and OLB's is extremely solid when you figure that you are also going to get some sacks from your backup OLB's, ILB's and secondary.

Also, it would really, really help our defense if our passing and scoring offense became more prolific. If we put teams in a position where we know they are going to pass, we now have guys that can pin their ears back. 

Yeah, wasn't saying they'd all get 10 sacks. Just that any of them could be. If teams start routinely doubling Allen and Kerrigan,  we have other guys who could actually step up now. Its shockingly awesome. 

I also think Iaon is a bit too early in his career to cap his expectations. 

10 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ion has graded out pretty badly v the run, Settle may be the perfect guy to rotate with him. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-matt-ioannidis-will-continue-to-push-the-pocket-in-washington-after-three-year-extension

Ioannidis has notched a 13.5 percent pressure rate and a 15.1 percent pass-rush win rate over these last two years; that pressure rate finishes behind only Aaron DonaldFletcher Cox, and Geno Atkins – not too bad for a fifth-round pick in his third year coming into the league with concerns over his pass-rush repertoire and athleticism at the NFL level.

image_2019_04_22T14_02_49_161Z-1024x572.

In third and fourth down pass-rushing situations, Ioannidis is able to take it up another level. His pass-rush grade over the last two years on those downs jumps up to 76.0, ranking 10th among interior defenders with at least 100 pass-rush snaps. What’s really impressive is just how frequently he’s able to beat his blocker. Ioannidis has a pass-rush win rate of 20.3 percent (third) and a pressure rate of 19.3 percent (second) on third and fourth down since the start of 2017. The only interior defender getting more pressure on the quarterback than Ioannidis on the money downs for a pass rusher is the reigning two-time defensive player of the year, Donald. 

As a whole, Ioannidis has been able to increase his overall grade each year in the league, from 61.0 on limited snaps his rookie year to 66.3 in 2017 to 69.4 last season. As one might gather from those grades failing to crack 70.0 despite strong pass-rushing efforts, Ioannidis has been shaky in run defense. His highest grade in that facet of the game came back in his rookie season at 61.1. That being said, he has shown improvement overall year after year and his pass-rushing success warranted the new contract he signed last week. The ability to consistently disrupt the pocket is a valuable commodity in the NFL, and that is what Ioannidis has brought to Washington.

Payne had 5 as a rookie & is only 21 years old, he may have the potential for 10, but he’s probably best suited to play DE, particularly if he’s going to get to double digit sacks. 

Khalil Mack had a 1.64 10 yard split:

Matt is 24, Allen is 24, Payne is 21 - what a time to be alive.

32 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Payne had 5 as a rookie & is only 21 years old, he may have the potential for 10, but he’s probably best suited to play DE, particularly if he’s going to get to double digit sacks. 

Khalil Mack had a 1.64 10 yard split:

Matt is 24, Allen is 24, Payne is 21 - what a time to be alive.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/khalil-mack

I thought the Khalil Mack 10 yard split looked way too slow. Looks like he ran a 1.56. You need fact checkers, huh? Maybe you could could have a successful career in politics! A 1.64 10 yard split by Payne is still ridiculous. Rashan Gary ran a 4.58 40 at 277 pounds and everyone was in awe. His 10 yard split...1.63. I agree, Payne could be a very good pass rusher. I was trying to be conservative in my projections to show that even if our front 7 doesn't reach peak potential, the likely not-best-case scenario still adds up to a ton of sacks and pressures. 

Also, looks like NFL.com listed Montez Sweat's 10 yard split as 1.50 flat. Not sure if it's true. I've also seen it listed as 1.55 and 1.54

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021021/article/2019-nfl-scouting-combine-twelve-numbers-that-matter-most

At 6-5 3/4 and 260 pounds, Montez Sweat's first 10-yard split on the 40-yard dash was 1.50 seconds. This helped him earn a 4.41-second 40 time, which is the fastest by a defensive lineman since 2003. The average 10-yard split for a Pro Bowl edge rusher since 2003? 1.67 seconds. The Mississippi State product's three-cone result of 7.0 seconds also hit a predictive benchmark (7.0 or lower) that flags for above-average and elite NFL production.

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

If Ion stays healthy I could see him getting nine to ten sacks. He just needs more snaps.

But I absolutely agree with your last paragraph. If we can put a team in the position where we know they’re gonna pass, with this line. We can easily get to 45 or so sacks as a team.

9 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

If Ion stays healthy I could see him getting nine to ten sacks. He just needs more snaps.

But I absolutely agree with your last paragraph. If we can put a team in the position where we know they’re gonna pass, with this line. We can easily get to 45 or so sacks as a team.

It’s nice to have an athlete in the middle that every QB has to worry may be coming for him. We haven’t had anyone that (Foster) explosive since ST. If Reuben is roaming around behind our front, it’s not going to go unnoticed by even the most experienced QB’s ... add Sweat outside & the pocket condenses quickly. Sweat & Foster change everything. 

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

It’s nice to have an athlete in the middle that every QB has to worry may be coming for him. We haven’t had anyone that (Foster) explosive since ST. If Reuben is roaming around behind our front, it’s not going to go unnoticed by even the most experienced QB’s ... add Sweat outside & the pocket condenses quickly. Sweat & Foster change everything. 

I’m pulling for Foster big time. And just think about maybe having Landon Collins in the box on diagnosed run plays.

Archived