Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

It was cool to hear JP Finlay and Keim on the podcast today mention that Allen, Payne, and Ion have all been working out together at redskins park since January. That's a strong and tight knit group. I love that we have guys like that on this team.

13 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

It was cool to hear JP Finlay and Keim on the podcast today mention that Allen, Payne, and Ion have all been working out together at redskins park since January. That's a strong and tight knit group. I love that we have guys like that on this team.

Not only that, but I think they actually challenge each other, with feats in games. Similar to betting, but not with money.

Wish that was more common.

5 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Why I don't have faith in this front.

I don’t know that you can point at one game, and more specifically, one play of one game, and say that’s why you don’t have faith in them.

Barkley isn’t a scrub either.

7 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I don’t know that you can point at one game, and more specifically, one play of one game, and say that’s why you don’t have faith in them.

Barkley isn’t a scrub either.

Really it has nothing to do with Barkley. Look at how the Skins dline is dominated by a bad Giants oline. That's the part that scares me. One play or not. Plays like that change games and the Skins can't give up runs like that period. 

16 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Why I don't have faith in this front.

That's pretty much the lowest point in the entire season, right after Sanchez threw a pick six. 

Sanchez would also follow up this play with another int on our own 20 giving NY a 24-0 lead.

Hopefully our improved and more seasoned front seven continues to help make our secondary this year. I don’t have the numbers but what hurt us is 3rd down conversions. We didn’t get burnt too much on big plays but it seemed we couldn’t get off the field when we needed to. 

Manusky and gang will need to find creative ways this year. Coach em up!

Thanks SIP, for posting this in the Reuben Foster thread. Encouraging for our defense in 2020. I've been looking back at the top defenses in recent history, the 2015 Broncos, 2013 Seahawks, 2008 Steelers, 2006 Ravens, 2002 Bucs. All of those teams had standout defenders at every level of the defense. Many featured a great FS, but all really had at least one standout CB. 

Take the Ravens.

DL: Ngata and Suggs

ILB: Ray Lewis and Bart Scott

FS: Ed Reed

CB: Chris McCallister and Samari Rolle

Or the Bucs:

DL: Warren Sapp and Simeon Rice

ILB: Derrick Brooks

S: John Lynch

CB:Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly

My point is, unless we have a FS that can cover, add a true CB1 and an elite ILB, we are not going to be an elite defense, no matter how good the DL is. Reuben Foster has a chance to be that guy at ILB, but you have to wonder now given all of the injuries he's had as a pro. I don't think we are that far off from being a very solid team. I would go hard after ILB, CB, WR and Tackle. That is a lot less to shore up than we have had in years. One or two off seasons. 

19 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We can probably thank the DL for this...

I thank our bend don't break approach we took last year, to support an offense with no passing game.

Some may even be more inclined to thank Josh Norman, if his salary happened to be much lower.

"Not getting off the field" is so bend don't break.

On 5/31/2019 at 7:30 AM, Anselmheifer said:

I would go hard after ILB, CB, WR and Tackle. That is a lot less to shore up than we have had in years. One or two off seasons. 

That list could change a bit if some of the young WRs & CBs show something this year.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:30 AM, Anselmheifer said:

My point is, unless we have a FS that can cover, add a true CB1 and an elite ILB, we are not going to be an elite defense, no matter how good the DL is. 

I respect your opinion, but I disagree.  That was the formula for them, it doesn’t have to be our blueprint.

9 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I respect your opinion, but I disagree.  That was the formula for them, it doesn’t have to be our blueprint.

Agree to disagree. I can’t think of a top defense ever that didn’t have very good corner play. The good news is that corners are easier to draft, sign, and trade for than pass rushers.

I do actually really like SDH and if he didn’t have a Chris Thompson-like injury history, I would feel pretty good about him being a core piece of our defense. He’s smart, more explosive than anyone else we’ve had recently other than Brown, and is good in coverage. How do the rest of the regulars here feel about him?

On 5/30/2019 at 9:00 PM, skinsfan93 said:

I don’t have the numbers but what hurt us is 3rd down conversions. We didn’t get burnt too much on big plays but it seemed we couldn’t get off the field when we needed to. 

THIS...They played back and didn't pressure. Too many EASY throws for a 1st. Drove me crazy which is why I wanted Manusky replaced. I think Ryan won't let that happen again this year. Pathetic calls (ie) Swearinger was right.

A message was sent to Manusky *#it or get off the pot. With this talent..if he does it again, they SHOULD drop him in season and promote Ryan.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:00 PM, skinsfan93 said:

Hopefully our improved and more seasoned front seven continues to help make our secondary this year. I don’t have the numbers but what hurt us is 3rd down conversions. We didn’t get burnt too much on big plays but it seemed we couldn’t get off the field when we needed to. 

We ranked 29th last year in 3rd down conversion percentage on defense.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense

12 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

THIS...They played back and didn't pressure. Too many EASY throws for a 1st. Drove me crazy which is why I wanted Manusky replaced. I think Ryan won't let that happen again this year. Pathetic calls (ie) Swearinger was right.

A message was sent to Manusky *#it or get off the pot. With this talent..if he does it again, they SHOULD drop him in season and promote Ryan.

Yeah, the common thread for the teams in the top 10 in the link above seem to be great DC's or defensive minded HC's.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 12:07 PM, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

To be honest I wouldn't be all that surprised if the plan is to replace Manusky with Ryan, especially if they struggle against this year when it comes to getting off the field, especially on 3rd down.

That being said, Rob Ryan has had his share of critics as well during his career as a DC. 

50 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To be honest I wouldn't be all that surprised if the plan is to replace Manusky with Ryan, especially if they struggle against this year when it comes to getting off the field, especially on 3rd down.

That being said, Rob Ryan has had his share of critics as well during his career as a DC. 

The same Rob Ryan who was an awful D coordinator at New Orleans? Nah I’ll pass. At the same time he has experience so having him as a position coach is all good. 

Manusky needs to step it up and just be more aggressive. I wish he had some of the aggressive mentality that Richie Petitbon had when he played for him.

If Manusky gets replaced by someone in house I think it will be Ray Horton rather than Rob Ryan. 

I’ve enjoyed watching what was available of Ray’s coaching so far. He’s a real cerebral no-nonsense kind of guy who seems to be challenging and pushing his guys more than Torrian Gray did or whatever his name was. I love that he just came out and said our db’s are too quiet on the field and need to step up and have command of their scheme, not just an understanding. I think he’ll be good for the young guys and seems to be having a positive influence on Montae. 

On 6/12/2019 at 11:30 PM, joeken24 said:

Like this group, like the coaching staff (including Phil Taylor who was added under the coaching fellowship program). I still think we need a monster in the middle. But we'll see.

I actually think the last thing we need is any more DTs, Payne, Allen, Ion, Settle, Brantley. 

Maybe none of them weigh 350lbs but if a D coordinator can't make it work with that list then they are the problem.

Then again if you mean a monster MLBer I agree :)

Archived