Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

This team has plenty of holes but the defensive front is not one of them.

I would guess there's less than ten teams in this league that wouldn't trade their entire defensive line for ours straight up and that number is probably lower.

We've done an outstanding job of drafting starters while also acquiring excellent potential for the rotation, if you can't be excited about this defenses potential then you're even more jaded than I am.

People are confusing questioning the guys behind the starters with questioning the entire defensive line as a unit. Nobody's not excited about Payne, Allen, and Ioaniddis.

46 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe the kid from Carolina really turned heads in OTAs.

At least we have finally moved past trying to find traditional 3-4 5'11 360 pound nose tackles.

Not saying thats not the case, but as much as I think Foster should have been cut long ago, seems foolish to cut him leading into training camp when you still dont know how the new players are going to work out, or if they will even survive  camp without major injuries.   There seems no reason to cut him now instead of 3 weeks from now.

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

Not saying thats not the case, but as much as I think Foster should have been cut long ago, seems foolish to cut him leading into training camp when you still dont know how the new players are going to work out, or if they will even survive  camp without major injuries.   There seems no reason to cut him now instead of 3 weeks from now.

I would assume there is a corresponding addition

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

People are confusing questioning the guys behind the starters with questioning the entire defensive line as a unit. Nobody's not excited about Payne, Allen, and Ioaniddis.

I don't think we really are though, I think its more of a belief that your starters are part of the equation when figuring depth.

The only way you can have above average depth is to have better starters. 

What people are saying is that tim settle would almost certainly be a starter on over half the teams in the league and Brantley would have a real good shot at starting on some teams or at least get some serious minutes. 

This is mostly speculation of course because at this point we haven't seen enough of them to be positive but we have seen some flashes and the fact that they'll probably (barring injuries) spend most of their time on the bench means that we have excellent depth.

Its mostly opinion but its definitely a very widely shared opinion in league circles. 

23 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Maybe someone reminded Bruce about the tweets. Who knows. But I don't always buy into: we did the player a favor by cutting them sooner than later. So they can go find another team sooner than later.

Horse hockey players are cut in July because we don't want them.

I will float the idea we weren't happy with his 15 pound weight loss. Maybe we wanted him to Mike but he wanted to be Sam.

15 hours ago, justice98 said:

I said earlier Settle's ok, but I'm still fuzzy on what evidence folks have that Brantley is any good.  He barely saw the field.

Yeah the FO sucks. They need to figure out how to get Pro-Bowl talent as backups instead of young talent with upside. 

23 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Yeah the FO sucks. They need to figure out how to get Pro-Bowl talent as backups instead of young talent with upside. 

Nobody said anything remotely close to that.  

Merely being young doesnt necessarily equate to upside, or being able to play.  

Jonathan Allen walks in on Daron Payne saying he's stronger

NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay asked Redskins DL Daron Payne who the strongest defensive lineman on the team is, and Jonathan Allen walked in on the interview as Payne said it was himself.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/jonathan-allen-walks-daron-payne-saying-hes-stronger

On 8/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, illone said:

😂 thanks for posting that video about Bostic, I didnt even realize he was starting.

So I’m rewatching the first preseason game.  And Bostic had a bad day.  He looked confused, and missed two crucial tackles for what it’s worth.

17 minutes ago, -JB- said:

This better be the best defensive front in team history if we have any chance of winning a lot of games this year.  Keep the other teams defense on the field long enough that our inept offense can actually put together some good drives.

I don't think 8 of our predicted starting 11 on offense even played Thursday..and if any of them did, it was for a minuscule number of plays.

12 hours ago, Califan007 said:

So this means you won't be watching any games this season, or that you just enjoy watching the Skins play poorly? lol...

I get quite a kick out of it when i do watch but I am intrigued by the defense this season.  I believe they have the chance to be very good.

Archived