Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What's the purpose of the "extracurricular" stuff the last guy did after he had it down.

Looked like dry humping 😄

It really did.  I'm going to guess it's an attempt to drill in  "play to the whistle", "make sure you finish", etc etc.  But it just looks funny without context.

9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It really did.  I'm going to guess it's an attempt to drill in  "play to the whistle", "make sure you finish", etc etc.  But it just looks funny without context.

It’s from his dad, Buddy Ryan; father of the 46 defense which is a variant of the Bear front. That man hated QBs calling them arrogant and overpaid. That’s the kind of fear I want opposing QBs to feel.

2 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

It’s from his dad, Buddy Ryan; father of the 46 defense which is a variant of the Bear front. That man hated QBs calling them arrogant and overpaid. That’s the kind of fear I want opposing QBs to feel.

I like the aggression. Can't help but wonder though, considering the league's flag-happy refs, especially how they overly protect the QB, that we risk excessive penalties due to certain aggressive habits.

For example, the flag against Allen last Thursday seemed excessive as it happened so close to the whistle.

It's a difficult line to draw, between making a definitive tackle, and one that the refs consider "roughness"

On 8/22/2019 at 10:51 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

I don't think he should have slimmed down as much as he apprently did. 320ish is a good playing weight for him

You know what would be a good playing weight for him? Doing everything Ionaidis, Allen and Payne do because he should be hanging with those guys. Ihave a hard time believing they never invited him to the gym with them. I guess he was too busy tattooing his name on his back. 

Don't get it twisted Tim, I want you to succeed, but it's seems like you are butthurt that you have IPA in front of you on the depth chart instead of just joining in their savagery 

On 8/23/2019 at 3:16 PM, JaxJoe said:

Here’s a clip from our friend Mark Tyler of Hog’s Haven showing Payne toss to the ground one of the best centers, Alex Mack. Notice also how Sweat takes on a double team, stays in his lane responsibility, and still jump on the pile. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiller56/status/1164884325449572353

Hell, also look at how #73 for the Falcons practically jumps on Ioannidis' back as he starts to get by him....he's damn near a human backpack and no flags thrown.

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I like the aggression. Can't help but wonder though, considering the league's flag-happy refs, especially how they overly protect the QB, that we risk excessive penalties due to certain aggressive habits.

For example, the flag against Allen last Thursday seemed excessive as it happened so close to the whistle.

It's a difficult line to draw, between making a definitive tackle, and one that the refs consider "roughness"

Absolutely right. You have to play smart. That drill the LBs we’re doing in no way is what I expect the players to repeat game time and I’m sure that wasn’t the intent - to continue driving the ball carrier into the dirt in a circular motion “rub it!”  I’m pretty certain it was an attitude drill. 

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Hell, also look at how #73 for the Falcons practically jumps on Ioannidis' back as he starts to get by him....he's damn near a human backpack and no flags thrown.

I saw that too!  A total take-down and no flag!

A side note about these new rules and flags being thrown during the preseason - I recall in recent years it was the same situation where there was a new rule (unnecessary roughness on head shots) being touted and it seemed there was excessive flags thrown in preseason but those flags didn’t really materialize during the regular season - I’m hoping that’s still the case with the new pass interference rule. 

Hopefully this helps the D line too.  Bostic seems like a London Fletcher type at least as to leadership and being a prep hound.  Holcomb has that type of rep, too at least as to prep.  

Inside linebacker Jon Bostic wasn't signed until June and will be playing for his fifth NFL team, but earned a starting job rather quickly. He'll also call plays. One reason: preparation. Bostic said he watched the last two years of Redskins games "multiple times" so he could see how opposing coordinators attacked them. He wanted to find the weaknesses in the defense so he could anticipate a coordinator's moves. Bostic asked one rookie he didn't want to name if he had watched last year's games. He was told no; he explained to the rookie why it was important; the rookie watched the games. "It's kind of weird," Bostic said. "When I go to the house that’s the stuff I do when I'm bored. I watch football. Coordinators tendencies don’t change regardless of what stop they're at."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer2h ago

18 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

How can players not watch film ?

No wonder we're so predictable

No wonder teams dictate to us.

No wonder we typically lose to divisional opponents who know us so well

"Players"?...He asked one rookie. I don't think that translates into explaining the team's woes.

My guess would be that the overwhelming majority of rookies across the league don't study last year's game film of their new team.

Anderson is like an Old School SAM before they split tight ends wide.  Set the edge and play pursuit when they run the other way.

I think his pass rush will be good enough, and that his true path to every down playing time will hinge on being able to man cover Ys.

Love the way he run fits.  He does it like those are the last snaps of his life.  A tight end is just not going to match his level of physicality.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Anderson is like an Old School SAM before they split tight ends wide.  Set the edge and play pursuit when they run the other way.

I think his pass rush will be good enough, and that his true path to every down playing time will hinge on being able to man cover Ys.

Love the way he run fits.  He does it like those are the last snaps of his life.  A tight end is just not going to match his level of physicality.

I think I’d rather see Anderson giving Sweat breathers than the other way around.  I want Sweat to start.  Not all rookies need to be brought along slowly.  We’re already doing this with Moreland and Haskins.

I'd like to see Anderson get a good chunk of playing time this year. I think he is a little underrated by skins fans because he isn't flashy.

He has done his job in the limited playing time he has had.

It's hard not to start sweat, considering his draft status and potential, but I believe anderson has earned playing time. 

Our dline has the makings to be elite. I don't know if Allen or payne have it in them to become a jj watt or aaron donald, but they're both young and still have have room to improve. If we can get Ryan kerrigan-esque performances out of them (not elite but close to it) for several years, the defense will really start to shine. 

This year will show a lot on how good this defense can be. It's pretty exciting regardless of the other issues the team has. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I bet we can get 22-25 sacks from our interior trio this season if they stay healthy.  Coupled with high end run stuffing.  And then I bet we can get 25 more from our linebackers.  I think we come close to 50 from the front 7 and we field a top five run D.

What did we have last year? I'm not sure about the interior guys (ion, Payne, settle, allen) ability to get to the qb, but I think they step up this year and really make it tough on ball carriers. We're gonna have a lot of tfl's despite facing the best rbs in the league. 

Im hoping landon collins isnt the type of safety that is athletic and hardhitting but takes bad angles and is poor in coverage.. he looked pretty good in preseason though. 

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

What did we have last year?

20.5 sacks between Ioannidis, Allen, and Payne.  They'll get more this year I think.  Allen is poised for a double digit year.

23.5 sacks from the linebackers.  I definitely think we'll get more here because Preston Smith and Ryan Anderson only combined for six.  Sweat should be able to beat that on his own, and I think Anderson will improve.

Archived