Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I could watch DaRon Payne work gap to gap on some hapless guard all day.  He hits his fits with such speed that if you blink at the snap it looks like he's teleported.  He can take a false step and still beat the lineman to the point of attack.

He is a giant block of quick twitch musculature.

When you say that, I think of the guy in my avatar.  That movement is what’s called a flash step, when he does it. 🤓

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, I think they both sat out.  Gave me a chance to form a new man crush on BJ Blunt.  He was quite active in the second half.

How about Casanova Mckenzie (sp.?) ?  Apparently his step brother passed a few days prior; he didn’t tell anyone.  That may have been why he played so inspired.

32 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I still can't believe what Sweat looks like now compared to his college days. He doesn't even look like the same player anymore, I always thought he was kind of a beanpole in college. 

Shocked me when he showed up at the combine looking like Superman.  He made Bosa look sloppy and ungainly in comparison.  He managed to add 20 to 30  pounds of good weight for the event in just a couple months.  He's a genetic marvel.

I watched him at Mississippi St too and I too thought he looked lanky and high cut there, but I was surprised at how strong he played.  He knows how to punch and win with his length and he's naturally powerful, it was just a matter of adding the bulk to his frame.  I think we sometimes forget that these guys aren't always getting the best nutrition when they're in college, especially if they live off campus.  And some of them have extremely high metabolisms.  Could be that he just wasn't eating enough while he was in school.

5 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

How about Casanova Mckenzie (sp.?) ?  Apparently his step brother passed a few days prior; he didn’t tell anyone.  That may have been why he played so inspired.

He's been popping all preseason.  I think he's secured a roster spot and he plays in a rotation position so he's going to get to play.  Seems like the lightbulb has come on for him and he's found his place in the NFL here.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

He looks really good out there, easy to tell when he's not on the field and when he is with the 2nd and 3rd stringers. We've also been hearing his name a lot in through the local media, he's been having some really good practices. I don't see much separation between him and Ryan Anderson, he's a virtual lock as a rotational edge player. Could have a Chris Baker type of career NFL trajectory

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Shocked me when he showed up at the combine looking like Superman.  He made Bosa look sloppy and ungainly in comparison.  He managed to add 20 to 30  pounds of good weight for the event in just a couple months.  He's a genetic marvel.

I watched him at Mississippi St too and I too thought he looked lanky and high cut there, but I was surprised at how strong he played.  He knows how to punch and win with his length and he's naturally powerful, it was just a matter of adding the bulk to his frame.  I think we sometimes forget that these guys aren't always getting the best nutrition when they're in college, especially if they live off campus.  And some of them have extremely high metabolisms.  Could be that he just wasn't eating enough while he was in school.

Shocked me too, I was actually a little worried that it was all upper body strength until I saw some of him this preseason. It looks like he's gained good all around weight and put on at least 20 pounds since his college days. My only issue with him so far is his burst off the line, I've noticed he's generally last off the line when he's lined up with Allen, Payne, and Kerrigan. He's a long-strider when he runs so his initial burst probably isn't elite but i'd like to see him get off faster than Payne lol. 

Here’s a clip from our friend Mark Tyler of Hog’s Haven showing Payne toss to the ground one of the best centers, Alex Mack. Notice also how Sweat takes on a double team, stays in his lane responsibility, and still jump on the pile. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiller56/status/1164884325449572353

Bye-the-way... why don’t my tweet url copy-and-paste display only as a text line? 

2 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

Here’s a clip from our friend Mark Tyler of Hog’s Haven showing Payne toss to the ground one of the best centers, Alex Mack. Notice also how Sweat takes on a double team, stays in his lane responsibility, and still jump on the pile. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiller56/status/1164884325449572353

Bye-the-way... why don’t my tweet url copy-and-paste display only as a text line? 

Bringing the Paaaayne

This site handles URLs horribly. I always underline and bold mine otherwise you cannot tell there are things to click. Tweets are meh edit probably my ad block.

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

THanks Vol. Heh I that's what I do. Maybe my 5 ad blockers are killing the tweets from displaying properly :ols:

The tweet from @JaxJoe that didn’t load above has mobile.twitter which won’t load here, it will need to look like this for the formatting to clear:

C26136CC-3861-4990-B440-800B42E0133F.jpeg

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I've been sayin this for a while now. And repeat it in the Gameday threads ; McKinzy is for real. When Gallete was begging to come back to the Skins last offseason, they basically told him they were really high on McKinzy and therefore didn't have a place for Galette.

And every preseason game, several people are like, "Who's this kid wearin #58 ?"
And every week, I just smile quietly to myself.

On 8/22/2019 at 3:29 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Casserly also seemed critical of Tim Settle saying he hasn't made the leap they expected.  I noticed PFF slammed his performance last week.  He supposedly had a good camp.  So not sure what to make of any of that.

Its a small thing maybe but I raised  an eybrow when I realized he wasn't part of the IPA work out squad like montez sweat

On 8/22/2019 at 3:29 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Casserly also seemed critical of Tim Settle saying he hasn't made the leap they expected.  I noticed PFF slammed his performance last week.  He supposedly had a good camp.  So not sure what to make of any of that.

Settle definitely plays better with more talent around him. Brantley was out last week and I think that impacted Settle’s play. Ryan Bee got a lot of snaps this week but didn’t look as good as Settle or Brantley. 

On 8/23/2019 at 3:23 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I watched him at Mississippi St too and I too thought he looked lanky and high cut there, but I was surprised at how strong he played

His 2017 season he was listed as 241 lb but his 2018 season is when he gained 20 lb. but looking at him on the field Thursday, he looks noticeably bigger. Our roster still lists him as 262 though. This play where Payne blew up the center, look at Sweat on the left side. At first he’s doubled by a TE and the LT, holds his own, then the LT moves to the 2nd level and Sweat, keeping his head up, looking at the ball carrier, puts a double move on the TE and gets to the pile. That is some good athleticism and raw power in one quick move. Plays like this don’t show up on the stat sheet but it’s still good football. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:31 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

I've been sayin this for a while now. And repeat it in the Gameday threads ; McKinzy is for real. When Gallete was begging to come back to the Skins last offseason, they basically told him they were really high on McKinzy and therefore didn't have a place for Galette.

And every preseason game, several people are like, "Who's this kid wearin #58 ?"
And every week, I just smile quietly to myself.

Not a flattering combine profile on NFL.com. Predicted he would be best used as a MLB in a 3-4. Looks like he got injured at the end of his senior year which probably tanked his draft stock. What’s odd is that he’s listed as 6-1 on his player profile but listed as 6-3 on Redskins .com

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cassanova-mckinzy?id=2555526

17 hours ago, bh32 said:

I can't stand the way the defense is told to play..the read and react defense just allows an offense to beat up on them..Manusky is just a bad DC

He's the biggest reason I don't have faith in the D being elite. I do think we'll still be pretty good, borderline top 10, but we have the talent to unleash the hounds.

17 hours ago, bh32 said:

I can't stand the way the defense is told to play..the read and react defense just allows an offense to beat up on them..Manusky is just a bad DC

If the guys up front live up to expectations, the read and react might increase in value. 

Thoughts?

Archived