Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

At the sr bowl Montez Sweat was getting off the line at warp speed — here he looks like he’s wearing weighted shoes. I don’t know what he weighs now, but he looks huge ... perhaps too big. 

The explosion he displays below has not been seen since we began working with him. 

Sweat has actually been pretty decent this season according to PFF.  Slightly above average for his position across the league, which is a good enough early return for a rookie first rounder.

The problem isn't him, but with the fact that so few of the other guys who are supposed to be stalwarts have played well.  Collins, Settle, and Payne have all been legitimately good.  Nicholson and Sweat have been solid.  So have Moreau and SDH in limited action.  But then it gets much worse.  Kerrigan, Holcomb, Bostic, Moreland and Allen have all been poor.  And Ioannidis, Anderson, Norman, DRC, Everett, Colvin, and McKinzy have all been awful.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sweat has actually been pretty decent this season according to PFF.  Slightly above average for his position across the league, which is a good enough early return for a rookie first rounder.

The problem isn't him, but with the fact that so few of the other guys who are supposed to be stalwarts have played well.  Collins, Settle, and Payne have all been legitimately good.  Nicholson and Sweat have been solid.  So have Moreau and SDH in limited action.  But then it gets much worse.  Kerrigan, Holcomb, Bostic, Moreland and Allen have all been poor.  And Ioannidis, Anderson, Norman, DRC, Everett, Colvin, and McKinzy have all been awful.

I’m just talking about his explosion, he’s not getting off the line anywhere near the way he did in Mobile Alabama. He’s been fine, he made plays last night, but the initial burst isn’t there right now. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I’m just talking about his explosion, he’s not getting off the line anywhere near the way he did in Mobile Alabama. He’s been fine, he made plays last night, but the initial burst isn’t there right now. 

Probably too much read, not enough react. That'll change.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Probably too much read, not enough react. That'll change.

Yep, it'll change when we ax when whoever decided endless 'reading is fundamental' to winning for our DL.  Hopefully its not Assistant head coach defense, Bruce Allen.

Sweat needs to be unleashed. We used 2 2nds on him, yet did so with the intention of not using him to his strengths.

The D-line is supposed to be anchored by Allen.  He is supposed to be "the guy" that sets the table for everyone else.  During his rookie season, before he got injured, he definitely seemed to be a difference maker.  He was being double-teamed from almost the first snap he was on the field for.

Not sure if he has regressed, if opposing coordinators have found a flaw in his technique, or if he is still working back to 100% from injury, but so far this season I hate to say it, but he hasn't seemed to be much of a difference in the middle.  The way the D-line has been built, they can't afford for Allen to be a JAG.  That has been the issue with the D-line for a long time, and it seemed when Allen was drafted he was the legitimate answer. I am hoping there is something specific behind his decline that will be fixed soon.

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The D-line is supposed to be anchored by Allen.  He is supposed to be "the guy" that sets the table for everyone else.  During his rookie season, before he got injured, he definitely seemed to be a difference maker.  He was being double-teamed from almost the first snap he was on the field for.

Not sure if he has regressed, if opposing coordinators have found a flaw in his technique, or if he is still working back to 100% from injury, but so far this season I hate to say it, but he hasn't seemed to be much of a difference in the middle.  The way the D-line has been built, they can't afford for Allen to be a JAG.  That has been the issue with the D-line for a long time, and it seemed when Allen was drafted he was the legitimate answer. I am hoping there is something specific behind his decline that will be fixed soon.

You realize he only played in 7 snaps of the Eagles game and missed the Cowboys game right?

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You realize he only played in 7 snaps of the Eagles game and missed the Cowboys game right?

Ok, and his impact against the Bears was what?  If you read my entire statement I said that hopefully he is working back from an injury still and is playing not at 100% which would explain things. I wasn't making any kind of absolute statement, just pointing out that the way the line has been built, Jonathan Allen is here to be the beast of the group.

Allen will be alright once he gets back to form.  He might be the best player on the defense.  Him or Payne anyway.  The only thing holding him back is health.

Ioannidis's and Kerrigan's struggles have been a real anchor on the performance of the unit too.  They are both capable of playing way better than they have.  I'm confident Kerrigan will bounce back sooner than later, but I'm a little worried that Ioannidis is just not as good as we thought he was, and that he is significantly less effective without Allen.

The biggest concern is the secondary.  Nicholson has been passable, but Collins has been the only one playing at a high level.  The group is really really bad without Dunbar and Moreau.  Norman has become an anchor and the other guys are match up issues.  There aren't ready solutions on the roster either.  We're going to have to address corner in draft or free agency.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

pff thus far

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.50.50 PM.png

Yep that is my point.

Stop dissing the rookie. Sweat is going to be just fine.

I love RKerr but he aint getting it done so far this year. I don't want to hear about historical slow starts either. 

Get a rotation going with him and R Anderson and see if less work gives him a fresh perspective.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The group is really really bad without Dunbar and Moreau.  Norman has become an anchor and the other guys are match up issues.  There aren't ready solutions on the roster either.  We're going to have to address corner in draft or free agency.

Yep. CB is a huge hole, and as much as I love Dunbar (homegrown, steady improvement) he cannot be counted on due to injury bugs.

Depth at CB has become a big pain. 

This has to be one of the biggest disappointments thus far.  With all invested into this front.  They looked good at times against inside runs today but outside of that it was sad.  Kerrigan was one of my favorites for a couple years but I'm ready to see him sent on his way. Not getting it done or earning his keep.  I saw one pressure from him and other than that nothing.  Sweat gets a pass as a rookie I suppose but he isn't using his physical advantages at all (looks poorly coached I think).  Allen and Payne - I still like what I see personally but its getting to be that time when they need to take the next step.  Ioannidis has his moments but wondering if paying him has lessened his hunger.

They get a D for today IMO. 

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

What's up with this Holcomb guy? Seems like high energy, always around the ball, yet refuses to finish tackles. He had another sure-sack yesterday and for the second time this season he held up just before contact and Brady burned him for a first down pass.

The only thing I can think of is he's scared to death of getting a personal foul on the QB.  But yeah, he keeps doing it. 

Manusky's having a hard enough time running this defense, but when he does dial up something good, the guys screw it up.

Archived