Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT - Redskins Cheerleaders Describe Trip to Costa Rica that Crossed the Line

Reaper Skins

21 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

See this is the problem when it goes to "She said, she said" situations.  There's a ton of shame involved in this, so many cheerleaders may have never disclosed it happening, never heard of it happening, or in denial, or a number of other legitimate reasons that they genuinely don't recall or don't believe that it happened.

Person A can say it happened and Person B can say it didn't and both can pass lie detector tests as long as they genuinely believe what they're saying.

Yep. All the more reason why there needs to be an investigation. 

its good that they are looking into it

Craig HoffmanVerified account @CraigHoffman
FollowingFollowing @CraigHoffman
More

The #Redskins have announced they are investigating the 2013 Calendar Shoot. Within the last 48 hours, they have conducted interviews with current and former cheerleaders. Some of these accounts contradict The Times’ reporting. The investigation is ongoing.

DcS5ixaXcAA9_tk.jpg

2 hours ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

I was semi-dating one of the cheerleaders on that trip at the time. (She was a rookie then, now retired.)  She posted “fake news” on her Instagram last night along with tons of support for the WRC.

There may be more to this story...

I’m pretty sure you are talking about a current girlfriend of a former Redskins linebacker. It’s kinda off topic and I have zero reasons to believe you, but still I’m gonna leave this here...

820.jpeg

I'm sorry to keep blurting stuff out but this really pisses me off. It really hits a raw nerve. **** like this is why I got involved in labor organizing to begin with.

This macho, frat boy bull**** has got to end everywhere. I don't care if it's the NFL and "that's just how things are" and I don't care if this kind of thing is common (which I'm sure it is). **** this. **** everything about this. **** everyone who was complicit in it but had the power to stop it. **** everyone even beginning to make excuses for this or caping for management. 

I'm a third-generation fan. My granddad used to sit in the segregated section at Griffith Stadium and my dad went to see them at RFK. This team was my main connection to the D.C. area after I moved to North Carolina as a kid. I've been a 'Skins longer than I've been a football fan and I've seen more bad years than good.

But this is it. This isn't a straw that broke the camel's back - this is a whole bale of hay with an anvil tucked inside, dropped on the camel's back from the ****ing barn roof. I had already checked out from the 'Skins for a number of reasons but my limit has been reached and surpassed. Unless this team makes drastic, systemic changes - including a change in ownership and there are formal, public, and meaningful steps made to make sure this kind of thing never happens again - then I'm out. I'm ****ing out. This isn't just some bad personnel moves or short sighted draft picks. This is straight-up reprehensible - even for a pro sports team (and that's saying something).

26 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Person A can say it happened and Person B can say it didn't and both can pass lie detector tests as long as they genuinely believe what they're saying.

Yep...

And one thing that I never like about articles like this is that the perspective is limited, but it's treated as if a long, thorough investigation took place and here are the findings. I'm not doubting at all that the women interviewed felt the way that they did. And I'm not doubting that the cheerleaders who are tweeting that the story didn't happen the way it was described n the NYT are being sincere. I'm also not doubting that there's a serious issue with cheerleading in the NFL and all sports.

But I also won't overlook that a certain amount of this is personal perception and another part of this is a somewhat shallow piece being presented (or interpreted) as providing undeniable facts. And I know that there are some facts that are not known yet and other facts that are being completely ignored. But as someone said earlier, this is an ugly look for the Redskins and it gets tiring having things like this associated with your favorite team, regardless of whether or not it's deserved.

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The "Some of these accounts contradict The Times’ reporting" bugs me. It also implies that 'some of these accounts' corroborate the story, but in their press release they are choosing to highlight the ones that don't. Seems like they are creating the narrative as opposed to doing an honest investigation. 

Why not just say that they are investigating and will update up once the investigation is complete?

Then again, should I honestly expect the PR department to get this one right? 

4 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I don’t see why believing that cheerleading, especially at the pro level, is largely about the objectification of women (and having a distaste for it because of that) needs to be made mutually exclusive from also recognizing just how wrong what happened on that trip was (and anything similar to it happening anywhere else)? 

I personally believe in both and find nothing contradictory there. One idea does not justify the other. A cycle of wrong isn’t suddenly made right at any point within said cycle. 

And just to be clear, I don’t think anyone really advocated that here, but I think it can be implied at times. 

For me, I hate viewing it through the prism of the Redskins because it takes the focus away from what's important--the treatment of cheerleaders across the NFL and in other sports-- and puts it on "Hopefully this gets rid of Snyder/Allen". I would guess that, if that happened, most here would forget about the cheerleaders and their very real issues...and their jubilation wouldn't be because someone who disrespected, objectified and coerced women to be sex objects against their will got punished. It would be due to getting a new owner/team president.

3 minutes ago, Unbias said:

The "Some of these accounts contradict The Times’ reporting" bugs me. It also implies that 'some of these accounts' corroborate the story, but in their press release they are choosing to highlight the ones that don't. Seems like they are creating the narrative as opposed to doing an honest investigation. 

Why not just say that they are investigating and will update up once the investigation is complete?

Was that a press release?

And don't hang too much on what people try and blurt out in the limited space of a tweet...

Just now, Califan007 said:

I don't think he should have mentioned that some accounts contradict the story. He should have just said they're still looking into it and are taking things seriously.

Yeah, that was a bad move IMO.  The less said at this point the better.

FYI, I edited that post above yours b/c it was the same quote from an earlier post.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I don't think he should have mentioned that some accounts contradict the story. He should have just said they're still looking into it and are taking things seriously.

Right?  So some accounts corroborate the story.

And keep in mind that you have these cheerleaders talking to the very people who hold real power over them.  I'm never a fan of internal investigations when it comes to mistreatment of employees.

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

He suffers from foot-in-mouth syndrome, which also extends to his writing/typing skills.

Interesting though that it's super serious now but their prior statement was that all is gravy in Ashburn.

there are writers out there with agendas against us. I mean did these girls get together and contact the press or was it a reporter sniffing around to twist words and reignite the attack on our organization? Doubt we will ever know but it could be telling...eh nothing I can think of to go to the police over. Anything these girls could sue over?

Some ex-cheerleader called Elliot this morning and was saying they just collect the passports so you didn't lose them and basically echoed that the stories were b.s.

Probably truth to it, but the chance to scream Snyder is a Racist and a Sexist? Oh they are chomping at the bit

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

May 3, 2018

STATEMENT BY REDSKINS TEAM PRESIDENT BRUCE ALLEN REGARDING CHEERLEADERS IN NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE

“The Redskins organization is very concerned by the allegations involving our cheerleaders in the recent New York Times article. We are immediately looking into this situation and want to express how serious we take these allegations.  Based on the dialogue we’ve had with a number of current and former cheerleaders over the past 48 hours, we’ve heard very different first-hand accounts that directly contradict many of the details of the May 2 article. I can promise that once we have completed looking into this matter, if it is revealed that any of our employees acted inappropriately, those employees will face significant repercussions.  

“Our entire organization has great appreciation and respect for our cheerleaders. From the work they do in the local community, to visiting our troops abroad, and for always representing the Redskins organization in a first-class manner, these women are exemplary members of our organization and are worthy of our utmost respect. We are proud of these women and support them during this time. We will continue to take all necessary measures to create a safe and respectful work environment.”

-REDSKINS

34 minutes ago, RedskinsSerbia said:

I’m pretty sure you are talking about a current girlfriend of a former Redskins linebacker. It’s kinda off topic and I have zero reasons to believe you, but still I’m gonna leave this here...

Hahaha no, but VERY warm.  The girl I was with is like best friends with her.  (They're last pic together was April 8th if you check on the LBers gfs page... Mine was on far right.)

2 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

the end of Dan will be the end of the Redskins

be prepared for that

Do you mean the name or the team itself?

Cuz, I ain't worried about that. Just call us the Washington Warriors and be done with it.

Archived