What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

16 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Greg Robinson is the name i'm looking for.  Tons of untapped potential and he excelled at LG his rookie year.  Too athletic to not be on a NFL roster.  Perfect project for Callahan.

He was clearly overwhelmed and overmatched at left tackle, but he was also forced to play there too early. With Long as the stopgap starter at left tackle in 2014, the coaching staff planned to develop Robinson at guard with the hope to eventually take over at left tackle. In his first four games at guard, Robinson gave up only a single pressure, per PFF. He struggled in the fifth game, but moved to tackle and never got a chance to bounce back from that performance.

On top of that, Robinson showed real flashes of brilliance as a run blocker in those games at guard. He was inconsistent on a play-to-play basis, but his highs made up for his lows as he learned the position.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fanragsports.com/rams/column-greg-robinson-misused-tackle-rams/amp/

I'd be all for giving that a shot too.  Like you said, would be interesting to see what Callahan could get out of him.  The pedigree is definitely there.  

And if a team is ever desperate enough to hire Jeff Fisher as a head coach we can send Robinson out for the coin toss when we meet.

so really we're already down three guys, since Orlando Franklin retired when we released him to sign Welsh

the Vikings were looking at Clemmings as a guard last season.  Maybe we should try him instead of Nsekhe

I was wanting us to take a look at Alex Boone at the start of free agency. He's still unsigned so not sure what the story is there. Not saying he'd be the long term solution but I would have thought he'd have enough about him to compete.

Maybe its a health thing, that could have been an issue last year with him.

Did we seriously lose one guy to injury and have another retire to what is arguably our weakest position on the team on the first friggin day of the first minicamp of the year? :ols: 

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Josh LeRibeus is a free agent I believe. I know a lot of folks here didn't like him but his pff rating of 52 is a significant upgrade over Lauvaos grade of 38. I liked the kid, he plays mean.

If we are trotting out the name Josh LeRibeus we are in serious trouble. That guy was terrible, downright terrible, and he was rated higher than the guy who apparently will be starting again.  Can't fix every need but this one was so glaring, now it's a complete dumpster fired.  Literally their only hope is a good vet is release and then of course they need to be the team to sign him.  Otherwise this one weak link will really handicap the offense.  

13 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Is this something unique to our team? 2 years ago it was an UDFA QB, then S'ua, and now Welsh. I thought the chance to play in the NFL is a unique and rare opportunity.  I feel for Welsh, and admire him for not wasting our organizations time if his heart is no longer in it. Depression is serious stuff when it takes away your desire to pursue your dream

Bruce: "Do you REALLY wanna play football?"

Player: "Uhh....I mean....I guess, ya know, it's whatever...."

Bruce (interjecting):  "Sold! Story checks out. Here's a contract. Welcome aboard."  

10 hours ago, carex said:

so really we're already down three guys, since Orlando Franklin retired when we released him to sign Welsh.

What a total fiasco this LG situation is turning out to be.  We could potentially be worse off at LG than last year which would be unbelievable. At least there's some time to fix it still.

I still have hope that Kalis can earn the starting job and be serviceable.

With that said, 1) that’s a lot to ask of an UDFA, 2) he has very little competition and 3) now I’m even more worried about the depth there.  I mean, the only other guy I have a little hope for is also an UDFA, and a rookie, and I haven’t even seen him take a snap yet.  I liked the Bergstrom signing as he’s a cheap FA that can compete to backup C/G (and at least we had a body there going into the draft), but if he’s the de facto first next-man-up at G and C... that’s probably not a good sign.  

I’ve probably been less critical of Lauvao than many, but I was happy we were moving on from him, and then I was fine with re-signing him as a camp body competition.  Probably his best year with us (2016), I believe PFF says he allowed the 6th most qb pressures.  

Ok, I do have some hope for Catalina, but I was very unimpressed with him last year.  Geez, just typing out those names has me even more depressed about the situation.  

Personally I think the people that are getting nervous because we lost two players at our weakest position are looking at it the wrong way. 

If we lost two players at our strongest position now that would be a disaster. 

Say for example we lost Allen for the year and payne retired, that would suck. 

We lost two guys where there's several equivalent replacements sitting by the phone right now. 

This is nothing at all to worry about. 

15 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I hope we pass on Boone.   He was cut by the Vikings last Sept for being out of shape and his best years are behind him.  I would rather see a roster spot go to someone young and hungry. 

But I'd be ok with jahri Evans as a stopgap.  He was solid last year with green bay and is still hungry for a ring. 

Yes, someone told me that Boone would be a mistake so IF we need to trade one of our 2019 picks for a sure fire OG with a team that has a bountiful amount than let's do so.  We need to fill this position with someone we know can play the position rather than messing around with who's on our roster now.  

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Personally I think the people that are getting nervous because we lost two players at our weakest position are looking at it the wrong way. 

If we lost two players at our strongest position now that would be a disaster. 

Say for example we lost Allen for the year and payne retired, that would suck. 

We lost two guys where there's several equivalent replacements sitting by the phone right now. 

This is nothing at all to worry about. 

That’s an odd way to look at it.  

First of all, Allen and Payne (likely) play different positions. Secondly, we’re talking about two of our best options to start at LG, not guys that we know should be quality starters.  

So yes, the dropoff from starters to no namers is greater than from unknowns to other unknowns.  However, at least we have depth with some degree of potential at most other spots as opposed to LG.  

This sucks losing two guys on OL on the same day, I wouldn't mind Greg Robinson and Jarhi Evans or like others have said make a trade for a good young starter.

I guess the LG competition just got more critical/interesting/fierce.

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

That’s an odd way to look at it.  

First of all, Allen and Payne (likely) play different positions. Secondly, we’re talking about two of our best options to start at LG, not guys that we know should be quality starters.  

So yes, the dropoff from starters to no namers is greater than from unknowns to other unknowns.  However, at least we have depth with some degree of potential at most other spots as opposed to LG.  

I'm not suggesting I'm happy we lost either one,  I'm simply suggesting that if something really ****ty was going to happen to one single position I'm glad it was left guard. 

Think about it if I told you last week one of our positions had to lose the first and second leading candidates to start which position would you hope it ended up being? 

All I'm saying is if you're gonna lose somebody it might as well be where you suck already and can easily re-group. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Any potential June 1rst cuts we might be able to grab before they hit the streets. 

I don't think June 1st date means much anymore.  Back in the day, teams had to wait until June 1st to cut players who had a big cap number to spread out some of the cap hit to the following year.  Now, you can cut the player prior to June 1st, but still designate the player a "June 1st" cut and spread the hit out.  So teams have already cut guys that in the past they would have waited until June 1st to do so.  

"One of the options available to them is the use of the post-June 1 designation, where players are cut in March, but will be treated as if they were cut after June 1, which helps with dead money."

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/3/15/17123810/football-101-the-post-june-1-cut

Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to wait until Sept 1st when teams finalize their 53 man rosters to see some players become available.   

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Any potential June 1rst cuts we might be able to grab before they hit the streets. 

Good God guys there are no June 1 cuts. There might be training camp cuts that could be useful but teams can cut players in March with June 1 designations it's been that way for years.

Archived