What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

Not a big deal we signed him back, and not much of a surprise either. It was bound to happen. And we probably signed him at a less cost than he used to be here.

He's a vet that knows the coaching staff and offense. So he's basically our markee for every new player competiting for the LG position. If someone beats Lauvao, then you know you've upgraded the position and the whole line. If nobody does, then you're still at level 0 but not really a bad choice either.

15 hours ago, carex said:

disappointing.  Lauvao should not even have been an emergency option.

Not really. If he is depth this is fine. He knows the plays he knows th calls and can come in for a few plays or a game or two if someone is injured. If ends up being the starter then this will be very disappointing. There is not a player on this team that I wanted to now be the starter than Lauvao. But a veteran back-up? Not really a bad move, especially if he is cheap. 

2 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I don’t even want him for depth. Need to get younger and stronger. Injuries have taken their toll on him. We never know when to let guys go. 

At first, I thought SL signing was a reasonable one for depth and that he at least knows the offense if he had to fill in. But I worry that he’ll wind up being the de facto starter simply bevause he is. So now, after reading this article, I’m more to agree with you @pjfootballer that he may take time away from another LG to gel with our line and be a longer-term option that SL.

https://riggosrag.com/2018/05/04/washington-redskins-make-a-logjam-worse-by-re-signing-shaun-lauvao/

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I don’t even want him for depth. Need to get younger and stronger. Injuries have taken their toll on him. We never know when to let guys go. 

i don't think it was the injuries, he has pretty much sucked from the first day he got here.  I remember when he was signed hearing from Browns fans who could not understand why the Redskins signed him to that deal.  He was their worst OL they said.

You know it's a bad sign when a Browns fan is laughing at your organization.  

1 hour ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*"I, for one, am 'all-in' behind THIS Guy: UDFA OL SEAN WELSH #79 (Iowa Hawkeyes)!!! Hail!!!" ???????✊????????????????????⚖??

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/5/3/17317288/washington-redskins-udfa-profile-sean-welsh-ol-iowa

I’m becoming a believer after watching this cut-up. I’ll watch more later but that hog’s haven article and those embedded tweets crticizing Welsh make little sense when watching the video. Sean Welsh is an amazing run blocker. He doesnt “lurch”. He makes his blocks at the 2nd level. He pass blocks just fine. He flat out dominates whether a defender is over him or shade. Maybe this Nebraska game was the exception but he looked dominant. I guess his bought with depression scarred teams away but Sean Welsh looks way better than 3rd rounder Spencer Long did while in college. And I was happy using a third round pick with Long. But Long’s weaknesses never were corrected in the pros: poor 2nd level blocking and poor footwork, balance. I don’t yet see those glaring weaknesses in Welsh. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/12/03/sean-welsh-vs-nebraska-2017/

*My '2¢':

Lauvao is 'Camp Fodder (won't even sniff 'The 53').

With All of our current OL Injuries/Recoveries, he was likely added to ease the pain of running plays without 'Silverback' & 'Big-Mo' -- while experimenting with the Other linemen.

1 minute ago, JaxJoe said:

I’m becoming a believer after watching this cut-up. I’ll watch more later but that hog’s haven article and those embedded tweets crticizing Welsh make little sense when watching the video. Sean Welsh is an amazing run blocker. He doesnt “lurch”. He makes his blocks at the 2nd level. He pass blocks just fine. He flat out dominates whether a defender is over him or shade. Maybe this Nebraska game was the exception but he looked dominant. I guess his bought with depression scarred teams away but Sean Welsh looks way better than 3rd rounder Spencer Long did while in college. And I was happy using a third round pick with Long. But Long’s weaknesses never were corrected in the pros: poor 2nd level blocking and poor footwork, balance. I don’t yet see those glaring weaknesses in Welsh. 

*My sentiments exactly, Bruh!!!

I also like that 'Roadgrader': UDFA TE Flanagan #88 (Pittsburgh Panthers).

Jay's/ALL the RB's & OL are  gonna LOVE Dude in 'The RUN Game (& Dude can 'Safety-Valve' a little in 'The Pass-Game')!!!

1 hour ago, JaxJoe said:

I really believe that Welsh will become our starting LG sometime during the regular season if not before.  Just a guess. :) 

I seriously can’t believe how difficult it’s been for this team to upgrade the LG position. That should be one the easiest positions to fill. It’s probably one of the cheapest positions in the NFL — unless you’re paying premium talent. We don’t need an All-Pro here.... we simply need a competent NFL starter. Do they no longer exist?

We had literally 12-13 million to spend to improve the LG position with even an average guy, and really set us up well to improve our run game, and failed to do that.  I dont know what we are saving it on but at this point we really have to hope a decent LG gets cut, or else we are praying an UDFA turns out.

39 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

We had literally 12-13 million to spend to improve the LG position with even an average guy, and really set us up well to improve our run game, and failed to do that.  I dont know what we are saving it on but at this point we really have to hope a decent LG gets cut, or else we are praying an UDFA turns out.

Interesting take. We will probably spend a kings ransom this year in re-signing our RG, yet are throwing pennies at the left side.

5 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I seriously can’t believe how difficult it’s been for this team to upgrade the LG position. That should be one the easiest positions to fill. It’s probably one of the cheapest positions in the NFL — unless you’re paying premium talent. We don’t need an All-Pro here.... we simply need a competent NFL starter. Do they no longer exist?

not many of them are free agents.  It's a position that's getting a pay raise right about now.  Plus the number of guys who only play LG is low so I imagine a lot of them end up signing for T or C money someplace

13 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Unfortunately, the free agent market for guards this offseason was really poor. I don't think there was much out there that was a real upgrade from Lauvao.

Hopefully, one of the young players will step up. I believe that is the Redskins' plan (hope). :) 

On 5/5/2018 at 5:28 PM, Die Hard said:

It's our new leprechaun we're trying to catch now that we finally used a first rounder on a NT(Thank God).  If there is a plan now its starting to look like finger paint.

"That's great, Bruce, but you do know you can use more then one color, right?"

14 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Unfortunately, the free agent market for guards this offseason was really poor. I don't think there was much out there that was a real upgrade from Lauvao.

Hopefully, one of the young players will step up. I believe that is the Redskins' plan (hope). :) 

Just making sure, was Lauvao that much better then Jahri Evans?  PFF has Evans with 71.7 and Lauvao at 38.3.  Evans signed for $2 million last year played 14 games while Lauvao only played 9, but still sitting around...  what gives?

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It's our new leprechaun we're trying to catch now that we finally used a first rounder on a NT(Thank God).  If there is a plan now its starting to look like finger paint.

"That's great, Bruce, but you do know you can use more then one color, right?"

And a blocking TE. I think Logan Paulsen was our last one... 

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Just making sure, was Lauvao that much better then Jahri Evans?  PFF has Evans with 71.7 and Lauvao at 38.3.  Evans signed for $2 million last year played 14 games while Lauvao only played 9, but still sitting around...  what gives?

Lauvao wasn't good. Between injuries and just generally not one of the better players, he struggled mightily last season.

I can't speak for last year, or what the Redskins were thinking then. It seems they were willing to  give Lauvao more of a chance last season. One they don't seem quite so willing to give him this season.

I just don't remember the free agent market for guards being real strong this year. Then again, I didn't follow it that religiously. :) 

6 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I just don't remember the free agent market for guards being real strong this year. Then again, I didn't follow it that religiously. :) 

It wasn't very deep, but there were better options.  There still are, Bruce is just too cheap to deal with that right now that way.  I don't like spending my money, either, 90% of my clothes is from the thrift shop.  Having said that, my wireless carrier is Verizon.  Sometimes you have to spend more then you want because it will cost you more not doing it if you don't.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:14 PM, Peregrine said:

Well, 12 million doesn't help much in a desert.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

It wasn't very deep, but there were better options.  There still are, Bruce is just too cheap to deal with that right now that way.  I don't like spending my money, either, 90% of my clothes is from the thrift shop.  Having said that, my wireless carrier is Verizon.  Sometimes you have to spend more then you want because it will cost you more not doing it if you don't.

Again, I know many of you do not like to hear this but it appears clear to me that they believe they have their LG in house - and it's not Lauvau. He is clearly here for depth. 

There are some possibilities and there is recent performance to suggest they (the coaching staff) are developing guys. I know most wanted Morgan Moses gone after yr 1 and even 2 if I remember. Fuller was called a bust by many after yr 1, only to bust out (pun intended) in 2017. There are others too. Chase Roullier was considered by many as a wasted draft pick now he is the starting C. 

I do not care much for Bruce but at some point we have to admit that the team is getting better and yes the coaches are in fact developing guys. Going out and getting a bunch of FAs is just not the way to build long term stability and success for an NFL team. 

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I do not care much for Bruce but at some point we have to admit that the team is getting better and yes the coaches are in fact developing guys. Going out and getting a bunch of FAs is just not the way to build long term stability and success for an NFL team. 

It's not about going on a shopping spree, not all holes have to plugged by rookies and projects.  Who is the starting LG?  For $2 million, Evans makes more sense while you're developing someone, imo, more sense then resigning an injury prone tackle and drafting one instead of a guard.  Allen is getting some stuff right, but he got this wrong.

Archived