What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

6 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Small sample size. Hes started 6 games or so. 

He exceeded expectations coming off the bench last year as a 6th round rookie thrust into a starting role. Expectations were modest and achievable, (1) dont get hurt bc we were MASH, and (2) just try not to get pushed back too much. 

This year, as the penciled in starter, expectations are higher and I want to see if he can make the next step. Entering camp working with the 1st unit should help alot and he has good size, game didnt seem to fast for him.

Honestly, Im just worried about injuries. In a perfect world, Roullier (like Long who also played G in college) would be the swing backup for LG-C-RG. That would require us to have added a LG and C. I dont expect a pro bowler at every position and think G and C are positions you can be successful with average talent, but .. I guess I dont like entering the season with 2 unknowns as starters on the O line. Roullier is much better than Arie but Roullier still has to prove it and take that next step. Perhaps Kalis is the answer and be "last years Roullier" for us this year and bail us out a bit.  

Getting a starting caliber LG would make me feel better, we would at least be able to absorb an injury better. 

I guess I want only 1 question mark on the O line entering week 1 and I still see Roullier as a question mark, although he is much less a question mark than Arie or Kalis or Bergstrom. 

I think Im being too picky and perhaps paranoid that last seasons O line injuries could de-rail another season. 

Roullier played both center and guard at Wyoming.  He plaed both his freshman year, guard his next two and center his last.  Playing both his fresshman year shows he isn't just some brand new convert to the position.  And many of Jay's comments last year are what penciled him in as starter this year.  The year where expectations were supposedly low

4 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

This left guard business will get out of control.  It will get out of control and we will be lucky to live through it.

(Ducks looking for airplane flown by Sean Lavao(however you spell it) as it crashes into the deck of the cruise ship I’m on.)

RIP. Fred Thompson.  

Humt for Red October is one of my favorite movies of all time.

22 hours ago, carex said:

Roullier played both center and guard at Wyoming.  He plaed both his freshman year, guard his next two and center his last.  Playing both his fresshman year shows he isn't just some brand new convert to the position.  And many of Jay's comments last year are what penciled him in as starter this year.  The year where expectations were supposedly low

Okay .... I dont know where we are going with this. Im not knocking Roullier. He doesnt need a defense to my perception of things. 

I feel like my thought that he exceeded low expectations last year when he was thrusted into a starting role as a 6th round rookie, you find disagreeable. okay, cool. 

He started what, 6-8 games last year as a rookie. I dont think I am being unreasonable or without logic that I see that as to small of a sample size to declare him the long term answer at C. He very well could be. I am not ready to anoint him yet. If I had to guess, Id guess there is a 75% chance he is the starter at C for the next few years. 

Idk ...  my point was I would like a decent vet starting at LG next to our second year C vs an complete unknown like Arie next to a still unknown but promising looking C. 

It can easily be argued that LG is the least important position on the OL.  Eagles have the best OL in the league with Stefen Wisniewski manning that spot.  Cowboys will have a rookie there this upcoming season.  Looking at a big picture, this is a good problem to have if your only real hole on offense comes at the LG spot.

12 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Okay .... I dont know where we are going with this. Im not knocking Roullier. He doesnt need a defense to my perception of things. 

I feel like my thought that he exceeded low expectations last year when he was thrusted into a starting role as a 6th round rookie, you find disagreeable. okay, cool. 

He started what, 6-8 games last year as a rookie. I dont think I am being unreasonable or without logic that I see that as to small of a sample size to declare him the long term answer at C. He very well could be. I am not ready to anoint him yet. If I had to guess, Id guess there is a 75% chance he is the starter at C for the next few years. 

Idk ...  my point was I would like a decent vet starting at LG next to our second year C vs an complete unknown like Arie next to a still unknown but promising looking C. 

all the stuff you're saying qualifies as "knocking"

2 hours ago, carex said:

all the stuff you're saying qualifies as "knocking"

I’m a fan of Roullier and think he’s gonna be a good player for us.  However, I don’t see @Why am I Mr. Pink? knocking him in the slightest.  Roullier is a guy with promise and has shown pretty well so far (especially given his draft status), but he’s still a question mark.  I mean, the dude said the game didn’t seem too fast for Roullier, it was just a small sample size.  Jay likes him (and has seen more of Roullier and understands the position more than we do), but that’s still no guarantee obviously.  

The broader point (which is one I’ve made as well) seems to be that starting a not very good LG next to an inexperienced C is concerning.  It could slow Roullier’s development, or just make his job (and Smith’s) more difficult.  Or it could work out great, but it’s gonna take a while before I’m sold.  Maybe that’s just me though (and W.a.i.M.P?, lol).  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I’m a fan of Roullier and think he’s gonna be a good player for us.  However, I don’t see @Why am I Mr. Pink? knocking him in the slightest.  Roullier is a guy with promise and has shown pretty well so far (especially given his draft status), but he’s still a question mark.  I mean, the dude said the game didn’t seem too fast for Roullier, it was just a small sample size.  Jay likes him (and has seen more of Roullier and understands the position more than we do), but that’s still no guarantee obviously.  

The broader point (which is one I’ve made as well) seems to be that starting a not very good LG next to an inexperienced C is concerning.  It could slow Roullier’s development, or just make his job (and Smith’s) more difficult.  Or it could work out great, but it’s gonna take a while before I’m sold.  Maybe that’s just me though (and W.a.i.M.P?, lol).  

the reason I have a problem with it is because he has shown more than any rookie at this point yet he's being looked at as a bigger question mark

1 hour ago, carex said:

the reason I have a problem with it is because he has shown more than any rookie at this point yet he's being looked at as a bigger question mark

Would you mind expounding was on this?  

Personally, although I have faith in Roullier, I have more confidence in Payne and Guice.  I also didn’t notice Mr. Pink show more concern with Roullier than the rookies.  So, maybe I’m missing something, but the line of thinking that people (Mr. Pink specifically) aren’t totally sold on Roullier seems quite reasonable.  His desire for a solid LG next to Roullier also seems reasonable to me.  So what am I missing?  Because at first blush your posts are coming across as sort of hyper-defensive.  

We signed a kid from Iowa yesterday that I am reading a lot of praise about. I would never think a guy signed as a UDFA a full week later would be a potential answer to anything. butas a long range prospect, it seems this kid Sean Welsh may have a little spark.

Now tell me if i'm wrong to even remember his name, oh those who know better about such matters.

~Bang

35 minutes ago, Bang said:

We signed a kid from Iowa yesterday that I am reading a lot of praise about. I would never think a guy signed as a UDFA a full week later would be a potential answer to anything. butas a long range prospect, it seems this kid Sean Welsh may have a little spark.

Now tell me if i'm wrong to even remember his name, oh those who know better about such matters.

~Bang

Seems to have that spark, and fight in him to overcome personal issues. Must have something about him.

Interestingly we have him listed as a C right now, so my guess is that he's backing up Chase as camp starts. 

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Well, looks like we got our answer.  Resigned Lauvao, so looks like we are going to go with the old Oline again.

Skins do need camp bodies.  Lauvao gets to compete and if he wins the competition then the Skins have their answer for one season.  I'll take Lauvao for one season - I just didn't want to sign Lauvao to any longer contract given his age, injury history, and performance.  But if he's the best right now (gawd!!!) then what can we do?

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Well, looks like we got our answer.  Resigned Lauvao, so looks like we are going to go with the old Oline again.

Nah.

Just because they re-signed Lauvao, doesn't meant the Redskins' plan is to start him at LG. If that were the case, they would've re-signed him a while back, and not risked him signing somewhere else on the open market.

If one of the younger guys does better, Lauvao would be a back-up.

Going through the draft there's not many teams that took multiple O lineman that didn't have a dire need for them. There's a couple of guys buried on the depth chart at the Vikings and Raiders that I don't know enough about and I'm loathe to accept that another team's leftovers will be the answer we're looking for.

I'd try to create a strong competition in camp and let the best man get that starting berth. Hopefully one of the youngsters breaks out. 

Lauvao has a pretty low PFF ranking of 38.3.  I understand Lauvao is familiar with the offense has been a starter, but he's oft injured and is in a downward trend.  There are better choices.  I hope we are still looking for a starting LG. Here's a list of available free agents:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2018-nfl-free-agency-tracker

Name           2017 Grade    Position   Age    2017 Team   2017 Snaps     2018 Team

John Greco       77.6   G     33     Giants      105   UFA
Jahri Evans        71.7  G     35     Packers    912  UFA
Brian Schwenke  67.1 G     27     Titans       147  UFA
Josh LeRibeus    54.4  G     29    Saints       206  UFA
Luke Joeckel       44.5  G     26    Seahawks 702 UFA
Zac Kerin             39.9 G      27    Lions        70    UFA
Oday Aboushi      39.6 G      27   Seahawks 558  UFA
Alex Boone          39.5 G      31   Cardinals  874  UFA
Shawn Lauvao     38.3 G      30   Redskins  531  UFA
Don Barclay         29.5 G      29   Lions        126  UFA
Chris Barker         0      G      28   Browns      0    UFA

Archived