What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

I hate to point this out in a LG thread, but do the Skins have any kind of decent backup Center, ishould Roullier happened to get injured?  No more Long, no more Welsh, just some scrub who was cut by the Rams and Jags, who hooked on with the Skins at the end of the 2017 season.

Frankly, the FO has been a bit too casual about the O-line; it was injury-prone in 2017, and that impacted the offense quite a bit. And the losses are already starting to mount.

PS:  I think Kalis makes the squad.  Catalina, while versatile, is essentially less-than-mediocre at multiple positions, and Skins need to find someone better. 

29 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Good God guys there are no June 1 cuts. There might be training camp cuts that could be useful but teams can cut players in March with June 1 designations it's been that way for years.

I believe there's a two player max with that.

37 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I hate to point this out in a LG thread, but do the Skins have any kind of decent backup Center, ishould Roullier happened to get injured?  No more Long, no more Welsh, just some scrub who was cut by the Rams and Jags, who hooked on with the Skins at the end of the 2017 season.

Frankly, the FO has been a bit too casual about the O-line; it was injury-prone in 2017, and that impacted the offense quite a bit. And the losses are already starting to mount.

PS:  I think Kalis makes the squad.  Catalina, while versatile, is essentially less-than-mediocre at multiple positions, and Skins need to find someone better. 

he did not sign at the end of the season he was on the roster for 9 games with three starts, he played fine

17 minutes ago, nonniey said:

You believe wrong.

No, I believe right.  I did a little checking around, found this on a Broncos site

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Understanding-The-Post-June-1-Designation-Applying-It-To-The-Denver-Broncos-3-Primary-Candidates-113418063

and the relevant sentence

Well, actually… no. First of all, every NFL team is allowed no more than two players to be cut prior to June 1 with the post-June designation.

48 minutes ago, carex said:

he did not sign at the end of the season he was on the roster for 9 games with three starts, he played fine

I'm not sure who you're talking about.

If it was Catalina, I don't agree, what I saw from him was very mediocre.  I thought he was terrible! 

The scrub I was talking about was Demetrius Rhaney, who Skins signed for backup center (a 4-year backup cut by Rams and later by Jags) off the street in late November 2017.  I don't recall if Rhaney even saw the field. 

I believe there's a two player max with that.

How many teams have ever used the June 1st savings more than twice in one off-season?  If it has happened before, it has a very low probability of happening.  Unfortunately, can't count on that leading to any cuts to help.

44 minutes ago, nonniey said:

You believe wrong.

I know that’s been the case for a while... has it changed?

15 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

If it was Catalina, I don't agree, what I saw from him was very mediocre.  I thought he was terrible! 

The scrub I was talking about was Demetrius Rhaney, who Skins signed for backup center (a 4-year backup cut by Rams and later by Jags) off the street in late November 2017.  I don't recall if Rhaney even saw the field. 

Think he’s talking about Bergstrom

7 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

How many teams have ever used the June 1st savings more than twice in one off-season?  If it has happened before, it has a very low probability of happening.  Unfortunately, can't count on that leading to any cuts to help.

Well the rule is (was?) 2 players max... so I’m assuming the answer to your question is zero.  

No, I believe right.  I did a little checking around, found this on a Broncos site

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Understanding-The-Post-June-1-Designation-Applying-It-To-The-Denver-Broncos-3-Primary-Candidates-113418063

and the relevant sentence

Well, actually… no. First of all, every NFL team is allowed no more than two players to be cut prior to June 1 with the post-June designation.

I stand corrected. Thanks for that info.

13 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Well the rule is (was?) 2 players max... so I’m assuming the answer to your question is zero.  

I meant the rule of a max of 2 is rather insignificant, because a team looking to do that more than twice in one off-season is rare.  A better question would have been how many teams exceeded two before the max of 2 rule was implented.  And building on the original point, I think any June 1st cuts have already been carried out.

But you never know, with rookie camps underway maybe teams feel more confident with some younger guys and feel they can part with a veteran to improve their cap standing. I'm just not seeing it as very likely to happen.

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

I was talking about Tony Bergstrom,

Now would be a good time to call Jahri Evans on a one year deal.  At this, we're officially in stop-gap mode on this position.  

Will say this, if we do get a third rounder pick for letting Cousins leave, I'd be open to using it for a trade to get a starter from someone else.  Not seeing a list to pick from, but I'd float it out there if I was the Redskins to see if anyone bites.  Our LG position is obvious to anyone outside looking in that looks at stuff like that for a living.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Now would be a good time to call Jahri Evans on a one year deal.  At this, we're officially in stop-gap mode on this position.  

Will say this, if we do get a third rounder pick for letting Cousins leave, I'd be open to using it for a trade to get a starter from someone else.  Not seeing a list to pick from, but I'd float it out there if I was the Redskins to see if anyone bites.  Our LG position is obvious to anyone outside looking in that looks at stuff like that for a living.

Buffalo drafted Va Tech G Wyatt Teller at the end of the 5th rd. He'd be a great prospect for Callahan. Perhaps next years 4th would be a fair trade?

5 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Buffalo drafted Va Tech G Wyatt Teller at the end of the 5th rd. He'd be a great prospect for Callahan. Perhaps next years 4th would be a fair trade?

I guess the hardest thing about this is figuring out why someone would trade a LG that could start.  He seems cool, why would Bills trade him to us? 

Me throwing out the third is that's as far as I'd go, wouldn't sacrifice a 2nd or 1st to fix left guard this year. Odds are they're being trade because they want too much money if they're that good.

Edit: I'd expect if we traded it would be for someone that could help us more then hurt us, would not expect us to pull a pro-bowler out of someone (that would be awesome, but haven't seen enough info to say there's anyone like that on that line right now)

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

Good God guys there are no June 1 cuts. There might be training camp cuts that could be useful but teams can cut players in March with June 1 designations it's been that way for years.

Meant it more as a figure of speech, which I'm sure you'd understand if you didn't need to rush into an overly dramatic post that added absolutely nothing, but thanks and good job. 

38 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I guess the hardest thing about this is figuring out why someone would trade a LG that could start.  He seems cool, why would Bills trade him to us? 

Me throwing out the third is that's as far as I'd go, wouldn't sacrifice a 2nd or 1st to fix left guard this year. Odds are they're being trade because they want too much money if they're that good.

Edit: I'd expect if we traded it would be for someone that could help us more then hurt us, would not expect us to pull a pro-bowler out of someone (that would be awesome, but haven't seen enough info to say there's anyone like that on that line right now)

I would absolutely put a 3rd on the table right now. I'd dangle a pick for anyone who might be a possible cut (whatever the ****ing date) and see if it doesn't pry someone decent loose. 

On 5/7/2018 at 10:32 AM, Darth Tater said:

Well, 12 million doesn't help much in a desert.

Correct, it doesnt.  Doesnt make much sense to have 12 million, let everyone else buy up the wells, and then be left with it standing in a desert.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:46 AM, SkinsGuy said:

Unfortunately, the free agent market for guards this offseason was really poor. I don't think there was much out there that was a real upgrade from Lauvao.

Hopefully, one of the young players will step up. I believe that is the Redskins' plan (hope). :) 

According to multiple free agent trackers, Lauvau was about the 16th best guard available in free agency.  Further, there were multiple guards available this year that were some of the best in the NFL, and the top 6 were all quality starters.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:50 AM, TK said:

Well I'm not impressed with their phones, but their bigger screen 4K TVs look really nice. Though I'm still sticking with Samsung for my TVs. So as far as what to do with LG, maybe just get them to drop their line up of phones & really focus on the TVs. 

I know I am late to the party but I got their fridge in black silver that is finger print proof. I had my reservation on LG but I think the right choice was made after all. At 26.0 cu feet it is really wide and stands pretty tall too. I think it should hold up for years to come. Looks really nice in a kitchen with black counter tops it Tyes everything together nicely. You are right about their TV though. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I was just throwing that out there. Obviously NY wouldn't consider giving us Hernandez, but for some team that took a flyer on POTENTIAL, the late 5th rd pick spent on someone like Teller might be an option. Buffalo really hasn't had much time to fall in love with the guy, and to be honest, I have no idea if Buffalo even needs a G or if Teller just happened to be BPA on their board. Just lamenting out loud I guess.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Perhaps a similar reason the Chiefs traded us Alex Smith ?

I see where you're going with this, and that's what I was looking for. 

QB is completely different animal in regards to that conversation, you can't leave a first round QB on the bench with no intent to start for much if anytime, not today, not anymore. Any other position you draft that you don't plan on rushing into starting is called depth.  Who's deep enough at that position that they wouldn't mind making a trade like that?

At the end of the day, we need to figure out if anyone is even on the trading block that makes sense, I haven't had much luck with this yet either.

3 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Just lamenting out loud I guess.

I hear you, man, I went off on this topic and got ridiculed for it.  That doesn't matter now, we have to fix it.

Some point, I'll just start with who has the best depth at the position we need to trade for.  I'm having zero luck seeing who's already on the trade block, maybe Bruce does?

I was all for pursuing a G in free agency, Pugh would have been reasonable get and we obviously have the remaining cap space to prove it was easily feasible. The idea of devoting a lot of cap space to G as foolish seems foolish now. We are thin and weak at G/C and I'm afraid this is going to be an achiles all year

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Who's deep enough at that position that they wouldn't mind making a trade like that?

The first team that comes to mind as far as depth at the position is the colts.  Their first two draft picks this year were guards: Quinton nelson and Braden smith.  They also brought back Jack mewhort on a one year 1.5 million dollar deal.  Mewhort has an injury history.  But the colts have three good young players for cheap.

The only problem for us is that the colts o line has been horrible in recent years.  Obviously strengthening the unit was priority number one, and I don't see them choosing to part with depth there unless we overpay for a guy with an injury history.  

5 minutes ago, carex said:

it's unlikely someone would just up and trade their starting LG.  They might trade one of their backup swing OL though

It brings me back to the Gibbs era when the Jets and Pete Kendall were fighting over a contract and the Redskins traded for him.   That year we also had a huge gap at LG.

Too bad we skipped playing in FA this year at guard at least in the pre-draft part of it.   I think the best hope is one of the number of teams that drafted a guard -- releases a veteran during camp after they are outplayed. 

Archived