Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Yeah I had hoped he clicked in the NFL a little faster, and he still may. I agree I don't think he will be given the chance here, draft pick or not. Kelly busts his ass maximizing his potential and is willing to play blocking FB, Guice is on a different level from anyone, and CT is just a special player period. The next back we keep is going to be someone who can "fill" CTs position. 

It's really nothing against Perine, I think he has a chance to be a player in this league, but it was between him and Rob and I think Kelly has solidified his worth. 

I agree. I think the only way he sticks at this point is if we decide to keep a FB and we make him it. I'm not sure if he did any with OU. Might be his only shot though.

4 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I really hope you guys are wrong about Perine.  I think Guice can be a beast, but I think Samaje showed enough last year, we’d be crazy to let him go elsewhere.

I hope the best man wins. Seems they are  in a bind numbers wise. Only going to keep 4 at most, Thompson and Guice are locks, now guys like JP Finlay and Rich Tandler saying that Kelley and Marshall are ahead of the competition. I guess PS will help figure this out. 

14 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

I think is Kelley is released, there will/may not be many teams lined up to claim him off waivers.

Perine on the other hand, will have a handful of suitors just based on talent alone.

I'm not so sure I agree with you.  I've heard a lot of good things coming out of camp about Kelley.... and as much as I like Perine and have been a big time supporter of his... I want to keep the guy who gives us the best chance to win.  It's gonna be a heck of a preseason to watch that position battle.  Gruden said he wants to keep at least 1 backup that carries a similar style to Thompson, so it may come down to Kelley vs Perine and Bibbs vs Marshall... this is gonna get wild. 

4 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I never really thought about trying to get something for Perine... For some reason trading him just wasnt on my radar.... but it makes sense.  My concern would be long term... who is going to be the better back?  Part of me feels like Kelley may be ahead of Perine RIGHT NOW, but I'm not convinced that Perine doesn't have a higher ceiling... and which one of those guys is going to be a better supplement to Guice.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think Perine has a future in this league, but he's definitely out, unless the Kelley praise is to inflate his value. 

If this is the case, I would showcase Perine for 1-2 preseason games and try and gin up support for him on the trade market.

26 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

If this is the case, I would showcase Perine for 1-2 preseason games and try and gin up support for him on the trade market.

You get 4 pretend games to see who you want to play all 16 with. Giving a guy a bulk of those carries to get a 5th instead of a 6th or a 7th instead of nothing is a terrible idea and not what preseason is about. If you "showcase" Perine and he crushes the opportunity, you keep him. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think Perine has a future in this league, but he's definitely out, unless the Kelley praise is to inflate his value. 

Why would we draft a RB in the 2nd round only to flip him (probably for a lesser pick\player) a year later because we drafted another RB in the second round?  He's on a cheap rookie contract, why not have a stable of talented RBs and rotate them?

3 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Why would we draft a RB in the 2nd round only to flip him (probably for a lesser pick\player) a year later because we drafted another RB in the second round?  He's on a cheap rookie contract, why not have a stable of talented RBs and rotate them?

Samaje Perine was a 4th round pick. Kelley was an UFA. Who’s the 2nd round RB we drafted last year? :-)

And I’d wager than Kelley and the rest of the RB stable are on cheaper contracts than Perine too.

If it is going to come down to those two, at least i have something to watch in preseason,, because no matter how vanilla the offense, whether or not either of them have learned how to find a hole and not run up their line's backs should be evident. Both of them last year, especially Kelly..  just pile right into the biggest glut of humanity they could find, missing daylight by a mile.

I don't really care which one was a 4th and which one was a UFA. Whichever one has learned some technique to get into the hole instead of up his lineman's back is the one i want.

~Bang

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I never really thought about trying to get something for Perine... For some reason trading him just wasnt on my radar.... but it makes sense.  My concern would be long term... who is going to be the better back?  Part of me feels like Kelley may be ahead of Perine RIGHT NOW, but I'm not convinced that Perine doesn't have a higher ceiling... and which one of those guys is going to be a better supplement to Guice.  

And that's the jist, as said I think PS only muddles this question more if both play well with limited touches... IDK, but I got a feeling Jay really wants Marshall, based on comments, to back up CT as the 3rd down back. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah really who knows about that, they play up one guy, down the guy they really eyeing,,,, don't put it past them. 

5 hours ago, Bang said:

If it is going to come down to those two, at least i have something to watch in preseason,, because no matter how vanilla the offense, whether or not either of them have learned how to find a hole and not run up their line's backs should be evident. Both of them last year, especially Kelly..  just pile right into the biggest glut of humanity they could find, missing daylight by a mile.

I don't really care which one was a 4th and which one was a UFA. Whichever one has learned some technique to get into the hole instead of up his lineman's back is the one i want.

~Bang

I think that’s what we all want. ? 

Unfortunately, we don’t select roster spots. And Gruden is typically transparent (effusive with praise) when he likes someone (say Grant, for example). 

And from all accounts, he’s been very vocal about Kelley... even moreso than Guice for that matter. Not sure if he’s trying to temper Guice and keep the rookie grounded.... 

With the questions at other positions, I could almost imagine us going with just three running backs total. Guice, Thompson, and a back up. The logic being that Perrine, Bibs, Marshall, and even Kelly for all his efforts are all JAGs (even though I hate that turn) and all could be replaced ably by an off the street free agent. So far, none of them have screamed out, "You'll regret it if you cut me!"

I think we have bigger roster fights at other positions where the issue is not one of numbers, but an excess of talented players who would be painful to lose. 

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

With the questions at other positions, I could almost imagine us going with just three running backs total. Guice, Thompson, and a back up. The logic being that Perrine, Bibs, Marshall, and even Kelly for all his efforts are all JAGs (even though I hate that turn) and all could be replaced ably by an off the street free agent. So far, none of them have screamed out, "You'll regret it if you cut me!"

I think we have bigger roster fights at other positions where the issue is not one of numbers, but an excess of talented players who would be painful to lose. 

I could get on board with that. 2 QBs and 3 RBs.

It’s a little risky.... but I’m not risk averse ?

52 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

And from all accounts, he’s been very vocal about Kelley... even moreso than Guice for that matter. Not sure if he’s trying to temper Guice and keep the rookie grounded.... 

This is really starting to bother me.  I heard more about that today myself.  Apparently Kelley was doing well on some short yardage plays on third down with the first team in Training Camp today.  Why is Guice not getting these carries?  I bet Saquon (whatever) Barkley isn't having that issue in New York with the Giants.  Kelley just isn't that good when it's game time.  How is Jay not hip to this at this point?!  I am borderline outraged!!

I've been told that they're probably doing it to, as you said, "keep Guice grounded and hungry," but I'm baffled.  I'm not even putting my words together as clearly as I normally would.  I cursed out loud a few seconds ago. :angry:

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

This is really starting to bother me.  I heard more about that today myself.  Apparently Kelley was doing well on some short yardage plays on third down with the first team in Training Camp today.  Why is Guice not getting these carries?  I bet Saquon (whatever) Barkley isn't having that issue in New York with the Giants.  Kelley just isn't that good when it's game time.  How is Jay not hip to this at this point?!  I am borderline outraged!!

I've been told that they're probably doing it to, as you said, "keep Guice grounded and hungry," but I'm baffled.  I'm not even putting my words together as clearly as I normally would.  I cursed out loud a few seconds ago. :angry:

I wouldnt sweat this too much. I think it’s equal part making Guice work for the spot and rewarding a vet for a great offseason. Kelly has lost weight and come back stronger and faster and he was already making it based on hard work and determination. When other veterans see that work rewarded, then Kelly’s work ethic could be contagious. 

Guice will get a ton of carries. I’d honestly rather have him spelled a bit so that he doesn’t hit a rookie wall and wear down and so that his body doesn’t wear down as fast in general. Look at the difference in play from a healthy Guice, 2 years ago in college, from a banged up Guice last year. 

12 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I wouldnt sweat this too much. I think it’s equal part making Guice work for the spot and rewarding a vet for a great offseason. Kelly has lost weight and come back stronger and faster and he was already making it based on hard work and determination. When other veterans see that work rewarded, then Kelly’s work ethic could be contagious. 

Guice will get a ton of carries. I’d honestly rather have him spelled a bit so that he doesn’t hit a rookie wall and wear down and so that his body doesn’t wear down as fast in general. Look at the difference in play from a healthy Guice, 2 years ago in college, from a banged up Guice last year. 

Okay :(

Archived