Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

23 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

If all we have to complain about is friggin' lollipops, then I think Guice is going to be just fine.

It's a well known gaming gang sign, dude is pure trouble,, and he is with the candy cotton crew,,,you know how they roll. 

18 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Bear with me. I am mostly in agreement with your overall premise.

I do think we need to wait till we see him against real competition - and I mean on Sundays during the regular season.

To your overall point, I don't think either viewpoint is wrong or needs to be forced. If some want to be very positive in their expectations, and others go low, so be it. You feel what you feel, and you keep it real. 

I'm optimistic on Guice just because he has the ability to make something out of nothing which we saw a couple times last night with his shifty ability to bounce and cut. Normally, if our line doesn't open a gaping hole our RB the last few seasons basically says damn the torpedos, lowers their head and runs right into the back of our o-line for a 1-2 yard gain at best.

The only knocks I've seen on Guice was pass protection and durability (this one scares me more), and that he's an elite 1st and 2nd down back, but not a "true" 3 down RB.  Which is fine because we have Thompson.  I don't expect him to have the same crazy high YPC that he did in college, but I do expect him to hover around 4.7 to 5ish.  Which would be phenomenal for this team.

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The only knocks I've seen on Guice was pass protection and durability (this one scares me more), and that he's an elite 1st and 2nd down back, but not a "true" 3 down RB.  Which is fine because we have Thompson.  I don't expect him to have the same crazy high YPC that he did in college, but I do expect him to hover around 4.7 to 5ish.  Which would be phenomenal for this team.

His best run last night was the 4 yard gain he got up the middle after being hit in the backfield. We havent had that since Portis. Limiting losses on the run game helps A LOT.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

His best run last night was the 4 yard gain he got up the middle after being hit in the backfield. We havent had that since Portis. Limiting losses on the run game helps A LOT.

I think you mean Alfred Morris (1st year).

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

His best run got called back for a hold, so unfortunately it doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

I think you mean Alfred Morris (1st year).

Yes. Fair enough. I dont know why I always disrespect Almo's 2012 year? Thanks for calling me out on it.

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

His best run got called back for a hold, so unfortunately it doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

That is the type of run we would expect out of Guice though. I was happy to see him pound it up the middle.

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Exactly, plus if that hold didn't happen, it's possible Guice would have been brought down for a minimal gain anyways.

Not sure how I feel about this:

“You can see that he’s a guy that he doesn’t like to carry the ball three times,” coach Jay Gruden told reporters after the preseason opener. “He needs to carry the ball 15 times. He actually told me before the game, ‘I don’t want it three times. If you’re going to give it to me three times don’t even put me in.’ So we tried to get it going for him and he popped a long run and unfortunately I think he’s got a leg thing that got caught up in the turf. It’s just one of those unlucky plays that unfortunately happens to all players from time to time. So hopefully it’s nothing, but if it is I’m sure Derrius will rehab it and get himself back.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/derrius-guice-wanted-more-three-103232358.html

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure how I feel about this:

“You can see that he’s a guy that he doesn’t like to carry the ball three times,” coach Jay Gruden told reporters after the preseason opener. “He needs to carry the ball 15 times. He actually told me before the game, ‘I don’t want it three times. If you’re going to give it to me three times don’t even put me in.’ So we tried to get it going for him and he popped a long run and unfortunately I think he’s got a leg thing that got caught up in the turf. It’s just one of those unlucky plays that unfortunately happens to all players from time to time. So hopefully it’s nothing, but if it is I’m sure Derrius will rehab it and get himself back.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/derrius-guice-wanted-more-three-103232358.html

I don't have a problem with this. I love a guy who wants to compete. In my mind the only time it's an issue is when a player undermines a coach.

I really hope the left knee isnt a "thing" all season. If he stretched a ligament ... seems like something he can probably play with after some rest but wont that ligament now be somewhat compromised and suspect to tear or rupture a little easier going forward? I imagine it might take months of taking it easy to get it back to pre-hyperextension shape but the season starts in a month and he wont be taking it easy. 

Ligament sprain seems like a lingerer.

40 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes. Fair enough. I dont know why I always disrespect Almo's 2012 year? Thanks for calling me out on it.

I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't recall Morris breaking many tackles in the backfield and kept chugging.  Morris had good vision and some gaping holes as a result of the scheme and Griffin.  He was the perfect piece for that offense but not a potential all pro like Guice.

Guice’s limited reps last night showed me that he is what I expected him to be.

If you look at his LSU games in 2016, just about every play is a highlight. But then LSU lost three OL starters in 2017 and yet Guice still produced. To me, I thought his 2017 play would be more akin to what I expected him to be on the redskins: getting hit at the LOS but still consistently getting to the 2nd level for 4-5yds. 

Now, LSU runs a pro-style offense that I believe is similar to run blocking schemes the Redskins run: mixing power and  zone blocking. Guice in years 2016 and 2017 would run between the tackles most of his carries geting to the 2nd level regularly; moreso in 2016 behind a superior OL. But then LSU would have a zone block play called, showing pass, and the lineman would open large lanes and Guice would cut outside and rip off 15+ yard runs. He had a lot more of those in 2016 due to better blocking. 

The extra part of about a runner like Guice is his vision but it’s more like a mental map before the snap. Look at the 2017 game against Tennessee and it’s uncanny how he’d get contact around the LOS and still get to the 2nd level. To me, I swear there’s no hole, but to Guice, there’s ‘opportunity’ and I think in his mind, if he can get past the first guy, theres something better behind him. 

I’m not skilled enough to crack the code of what makes a great running back and Guice is no superman, but he’s damn close. I think, with a better LG and a better blocking TE, we could see a superman but I do believe we have a 1,000 yd back his rookie year. Look out NFC East!

47 minutes ago, dyst said:

Exactly, plus if that hold didn't happen, it's possible Guice would have been brought down for a minimal gain anyways.

very possible.

In that run though, he looked good.  He had balance, he took hits and kept going, and he was fighting for yards.  It wasn't a gaping hole that was only made possible by a blatant hold.

9 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Question, You are the Gruden, Does Guice play in any more pre season games? Is it worth the risk?

I say it depends on how sore his knee is. 

If his knee is feeling weak then you rest him up. 

If he's healthy he should get some snaps in game three at least. 

He's a rookie and needs the experience unless we want him to start the regular season slow. 

Archived