Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

12 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Well, we disagree big time then about Allen.  Remember, Terry Allen was one of the best goal to go guys in his era running behind a line that had only one guy of note, Tre Johnson (although, he was probably one of the best during his time).  You might have an argument for Portis although only Samuels should be considered as good as what Riggins got to run behind.  Riggs always had issues with ball security which was not a good problem to have, especially on a Gibbs team. He was not a young pup when he came here and had injury questions.

There is a difference between being a good goal to go back and a power back. Marcus Allen was one of the best goal to go backs ever, but he was by no means a power back. Marcus knew how to get into a crease and slip between bodies, and when to go high. Terry Allen was similar. I'll also say, I think our OL was more physical then than ours is now. Currently, we really don't move anyone in short yardage. And more times than not, give up penetration to the DL.Most of the time our guys get stood up and moved back, giving out back no place to go.

I always liked me some Terry Allen, but he was never a guy like Riggins or Stephen Davis when it came to getting tough yards. He could not make something out of nothing by just bowling a guy over.

13 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Well, we disagree big time then about Allen.  Remember, Terry Allen was one of the best goal to go guys in his era running behind a line that had only one guy of note, Tre Johnson (although, he was probably one of the best during his time).  You might have an argument for Portis although only Samuels should be considered as good as what Riggins got to run behind.  Riggs always had issues with ball security which was not a good problem to have, especially on a Gibbs team. He was not a young pup when he came here and had injury questions.

Terry Allen was a great goal-line threat...and one of the best we've had in the last 30 years...top 5 for sure...and PLEASE let me forget about Riggs....ptsd...philadelphia traumatic syndrome...

36 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

There is a difference between being a good goal to go back and a power back. Marcus Allen was one of the best goal to go backs ever, but he was by no means a power back. Marcus knew how to get into a crease and slip between bodies, and when to go high. Terry Allen was similar. I'll also say, I think our OL was more physical then than ours is now. Currently, we really don't move anyone in short yardage. And more times than not, give up penetration to the DL.Most of the time our guys get stood up and moved back, giving out back no place to go.

I always liked me some Terry Allen, but he was never a guy like Riggins or Stephen Davis when it came to getting tough yards. He could not make something out of nothing by just bowling a guy over.

yes, Terry running was like a combo of Bryant and Byner...but bigger...he wasn't small...seems like Terry was 220 ish

/i was wrong...204lbs...sheesh, way off...musta been the shoulder pads...

On 7/19/2018 at 2:25 AM, Stefanskins said:

yes, Terry running was like a combo of Bryant and Byner...but bigger...he wasn't small...seems like Terry was 220 ish

/i was wrong...204lbs...sheesh, way off...musta been the shoulder pads...

Bigger pads back then for almost everyone. ;) And while Terry was a good goal line threat as I stated above, he was not a power back. He could get skinny, go over the pile or bounce it outside, but he wasn't going to run anyone over.

7 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Bigger pads back then for almost everyone. ;) And while Terry was a good goal line threat as I stated above, he was not a power back. He could get skinny, go over the pile or bounce it outside, but he wasn't going to run anyone over.

Well, you kinda moved the goal posts on your statement. You originally said “and I hope he can solve our RB woes. And, if we can start punching in short yardage TD's and first downs with regularity,”

Then when people mentioned Allen & Byner you said they (specifically Allen) wasn’t/weren’t “power backs”. 

You don’t need to be a power back to be good at short yardage. Finding a crease and properly angling your body can be just as effective as running over someone when you only need that 1-2 yards. 

Speaking of Guice.  I'm not prepared to say who's better between him and Barkley.  But I will say that Guice seems to be the better contact runner.  I never see Barkley run through many tackles.  And I often see him taken down by modest contact and shoe string tackles.  I look at Barkley and think Matt Jones.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Speaking of Guice.  I'm not prepared to say who's better between him and Barkley.  But I will say that Guice seems to be the better contact runner.  I never see Barkley run through many tackles.  And I often see him taken down by modest contact and shoe string tackles.  I look at Barkley and think Matt Jones.

When I first look at Barkley I see Barry Sanders, which is no small thing. You have a good point though, Barry broke tackles though. Barry broke tackles. 

On 7/20/2018 at 8:37 PM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Well, you kinda moved the goal posts on your statement. You originally said “and I hope he can solve our RB woes. And, if we can start punching in short yardage TD's and first downs with regularity,”

Then when people mentioned Allen & Byner you said they (specifically Allen) wasn’t/weren’t “power backs”. 

You don’t need to be a power back to be good at short yardage. Finding a crease and properly angling your body can be just as effective as running over someone when you only need that 1-2 yards. 

Not really. But maybe I should clear up a couple things. First, none of the guys mentioned (except one, and I'll get to that later) were not around long enough to solve "that problem". Allen, had 3 good years with us, and in only 2 did he score double digit TD's. I'll also admit, I don't remember how good he was in short yardage, generally speaking. But he was about as good as Alfred Morris in solving that problem. Byner was probably a tougher back in short yardage, but not great and not here that long. And there is Stephen Davis, who I already said I completely forgot about. Now, he was a guy that could get the tough yards, and was with us for several years. He definitely is a guy that deserves to be talked about, and I was wrong in not having used him as "the last guy we had". I totally spaced on him. He, not Riggins was the last guy we had that really solved the problem. Maybe I should have clarified I was looking for Guise to be a long term solution, not a 2-3 year stop gap, like Riggs for example. I hope that clarifies my position.

2 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Lets take bets now on how long until fox pre game or game announcers are abusing the phrase "Guice is Nice" after every big play. 

Or they will be rejuvenating the Vanilla Ice days of old with "Guice Guice, baby.. dun-dun-dun-da-du-dun-dun."  :o

12 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:
This Notre Dame game showed off everything

that is beautiful...

13 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Not really. But maybe I should clear up a couple things. First, none of the guys mentioned (except one, and I'll get to that later) were not around long enough to solve "that problem". Allen, had 3 good years with us, and in only 2 did he score double digit TD's. I'll also admit, I don't remember how good he was in short yardage, generally speaking. But he was about as good as Alfred Morris in solving that problem. Byner was probably a tougher back in short yardage, but not great and not here that long. And there is Stephen Davis, who I already said I completely forgot about. Now, he was a guy that could get the tough yards, and was with us for several years. He definitely is a guy that deserves to be talked about, and I was wrong in not having used him as "the last guy we had". I totally spaced on him. He, not Riggins was the last guy we had that really solved the problem. Maybe I should have clarified I was looking for Guise to be a long term solution, not a 2-3 year stop gap, like Riggs for example. I hope that clarifies my position.

the damage we coulda done with Marty Ball n Davis...smh...Rogers was perty good too....

The comparison is going to be continuous between Barkley an Guice,but real talk-as long as he is dependable,healthy,and keeps us in games..he will be a Welcomed upgrade to what we have on the roster now(and since we had No shot at landing Barkley and stole Guice in the bottom of the second),it’s going to be a win-win for our team regardless!!..I CANT WAIT till the season starts,it’s going to be a totally different teams this year!!!

Lots of video clips floating around twitter of Guice in receiving drills, I think he posted them to his social media somewhere. Looks good (you know, for padless, contactless drills). Smooth catching it, good enough route for a RB, good change of direction, fast. He more than belongs which is all that you want to see at this point. 

Archived