Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

On 7/26/2018 at 8:09 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants over the top hype today for Barkley, Guice versus Barkley should be fun to watch.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/26/giants-just-cant-stop-praising-saquon-barkley/

“I can’t wait to see what he has when we get in pads. … Running around, flying around, as quick as he is and as big as he is, it’s pretty impressive,” praised outside linebacker Olivier Vernon.

General manager Dave Gettleman started the hype on draft night, saying Barkley “was touched by the hand of God, frankly,” and it hasn’t slowed down. Former Jets running back Curtis Martin added to it with this gem: “If I was to say backs that would make up who he is, I would say Barry [Sanders], Eric Dickerson and Jim Brown.”

“We’re on the same team so hopefully he goes out there and destroys every linebacker he plays against,’’ Ogletree said.

Ogletree has seen a dynamic rookie running back up close before. He was on the Rams three years ago when Todd Gurley II ran for 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns in just 13 games.

“Hopefully Saquon will come in the league now and do the same things, but even better,” Ogletree said. “You know, he’s a high IQ guy that loves football and asks all the right questions and he practices really well.

I hope this guys ends up like every other hyped up Penn State RB since Curt Warner. A bust. ;)

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I have to agree. You're up against a brutal schedule packed with high level athletes.

Yeah there's no denying Barkley's pure raw talent, athleticism, and moves but he also played in spread system where he didn't face NEARLY as many stacked boxes as Guice (I think Guice faced stacked boxes on something like 72% of his runs, and Barkley was at 52% or so), where they worked to get him in space when possible (he was "ok" between the Tackles but nothing special so they either tended to bounce him outside more to get him in space or he would bounce it outside himself), and he didn't face the kind of top defenses game after game like Guice did. 

Again, not taking away from his crazy talent but the media practically already has a HOF jacket ready for the dude before he's taken a single snap in the NFL.

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah there's no denying Barkley's pure raw talent, athleticism, and moves but he also played in spread system where he didn't face NEARLY as many stacked boxes as Guice (I think Guice faced stacked boxes on something like 72% of his runs, and Barkley was at 52% or so), where they worked to get him in space when possible (he was "ok" between the Tackles but nothing special so they either tended to bounce him outside more to get him in space or he would bounce it outside himself), and he didn't face the kind of top defenses game after game like Guice did. 

Again, not taking away from his crazy talent but the media practically already has a HOF jacket ready for the dude before he's taken a single snap in the NFL.

You're correct, you can't ignore his measurables, they jump off the paper they are printed on. But, as you said, he had a easier time, against IMO less talent and a more favorable setting (not as many defenders in the box). As you mentioned, and others have mentioned it as well, he has trouble breaking tackles, is not that good between the tackles (with less defenders than Guice on average) and he won't be able to just bounce everything outside as easily as he did in the Big 10 (which doesn't have the athletes the SEC does) in the NFL. I do expect he will be a very tough guy to cover coming out of the backfield, and will be a every down back for NY. But I hope he ends up like all the other dudes out of Penn St. in resent memory. Over-hyped and non-productive. :)

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Man I sure hope you guys are right on Barkely.  Me? I'm having a hard time believing everyone is wrong about him, I think he will kill us for years to come. 

Ok. Have a seat. Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Now, clear your mind. I give you 2 words...........

Lavar Arrington.

:kickcan:

:evil:

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Man I sure hope you guys are right on Barkely.  Me? I'm having a hard time believing everyone is wrong about him, I think he will kill us for years to come. 

I think it will be somewhere in between. He is a very good back - just not a great one IMO. He will have to learn how to not go down on first contact. But I also believe he will be a menace out of the backfield catching balls. I would expect them to get him the ball in space, very much like LA uses Gurley. He is not going to bruise you. But he can turn a 3 yd out or cross into a TD very quickly. And if you open holes for him and he gets to the second level, he can also make big plays. 

It will be interesting to see how they use him. 

2 hours ago, zoony said:

My completely uninformed gut opinion tells me that Barkley is reggie bush 2.0

He will be a good nfl player but not a HOFer, and i think the giants will struggle early on to figure out how best to use him

Listen i hate the Giants more than anyone here but na, i don't see Barkley being anything less than a pro bowl back. Plus the Giants have great history when it comes to drafting running backs. Tiki Barber, Rodney Hampton,Brandon Jacobs , Ahmed Bradshaw, Sure none of them were hall of famers but all were very good and none touted as highly or with the pedigree of Barkley.

As far as our guy goes im very excited but......... I have a strong feeling Guice is either going to be our all time leading rusher in team history when all is said and done or a bust of RGIII proportions. I just can't foresee any in between for a guy like him. 

13 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Listen i hate the Giants more than anyone here but na, i don't see Barkley being anything less than a pro bowl back. Plus the Giants have great history when it comes to drafting running backs. Tiki Barber, Rodney Hampton,Brandon Jacobs , Ahmed Bradshaw, Sure none of them were hall of famers but all were very good and none touted as highly or with the pedigree of Barkley.

As far as our guy goes im very excited but......... I have a strong feeling Guice is either going to be our all time leading rusher in team history when all is said and done or a bust of RGIII proportions. I just can't foresee any in between for a guy like him. 

People were saying the same stuff about Bush. No way he was anything less than an immediate Pro Bowler. Generational talent, absolute sure fire slam dunk pick. He ended up being a good back but certainly not a HOFer. I think Barkley has better size and a bit better pure talent than Bush but IMO he also has some of the same shortcomings as he doesn't really play as big as his size (he's 230 but IMO plays like he's 210) and really excels in space but is mediocre between the Tackles. If he doesn't learn pretty quickly in the NFL to use his size and be a great runner between the Tackles he's going to have a much harder time excelling in the NFL than he did in college. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

People were saying the same stuff about Bush. No way he was anything less than an immediate Pro Bowler. Generational talent, absolute sure fire slam dunk pick. He ended up being a good back but certainly not a HOFer. I think Barkley has better size and a bit better pure talent than Bush but IMO he also has some of the same shortcomings as he doesn't really play as big as his size (he's 230 but IMO plays like he's 210) and really excels in space but is mediocre between the Tackles. If he doesn't learn pretty quickly in the NFL to use his size and be a great runner between the Tackles he's going to have a much harder time excelling in the NFL than he did in college. 

This.

He's going to find out he just can't bounce everything outside and get away with it. The question is: will he become a better inside runner or not? And he won't have a good OL in front of him, so he may have some serious struggles if he's going down on first contact all the time.

16 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Barry Sanders never killed us, In fact, even when we had a terrible rush defense in 1995, we held him to just 76 yards and under 4 yards per carry. The only time he got more than 100 yards on us, almost half of that came on just one attempt!

Emmit Smith chewed us up.  The Cowboys were the elite team in the NFC-East during most of that period with multiple threats and we were mediocre to downright bad against the run anyway.

Archived