Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Anyway, first Cooley and then Portis on their film reviews somewhat downplay K. Johnson as good but nothing special.  So Sheehan ignores their take.  Cooley first has the man crush on Guice then loses it after watching the Alabama game, also he has no clue about the 2016 versus 2017 aspect of the player.  Portis thinks Guice is a stud and worthy of the 13th pick in the first round.  Sheehan brushes all of that aside.

You'd think Cooley would learn his lesson after making the same mistake with Kendall Fuller's college tape.

24 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Did you read the second tweet?  Lil Wayne founded the sports agency that Guice is signed with.  They're clearly holding up his jersey and celebrating the fact that he got drafted.

This is how dumb narratives about players being selfish or thuggish get started.

O so lil Wayne is his agent? my bad

11 hours ago, redskin301 said:

I don’t get why I keep reading off the field issues the guy never failed a drug test never got in any legal trouble what’s even the Eagles said they had no issues at their meeting.

The media only tells you tibits of the story but its not hard to piece everything together. Basically he met with the Eagles a few months ago, one of their questions was his sexuality which i think alot of teams ask players and it sounds as if Guice blew up on them and got into a screaming match.

So the kid is bad at job interviews , time to move on.

8 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

The media only tells you tibits of the story but its not hard to piece everything together. Basically he met with the Eagles a few months ago, one of their questions was his sexuality which i think alot of teams ask players and it sounds as if Guice blew up on them and got into a screaming match.

So the kid is bad at job interviews , time to move on.

didn't the nfl investigate the thing of guice getting asked about his sexuality and said it wasn't true? and if the eagles said there were no issues at his meeting, then how do you come to the conclusion he got into a "screaming match" with the eagles...?

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

didn't the nfl investigate the thing of guice getting asked about his sexuality and said it wasn't true? and if the eagles said there were no issues at his meeting, then how do you come to the conclusion he got into a "screaming match" with the eagles...?

This was reported seperately. When they were at the combine the was apparently some kind of disagreement where voices were raised. Then Guice's representatives asked for another meeting in Philly and that went well. 

32 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You'd think Cooley would learn his lesson after making the same mistake with Kendall Fuller's college tape.

I suspect Cooley is either a guy that goes with what he hears at first combined with what his gut tells him and then starts his own study.  I think also he sees any question marks about a player as red flags.  As far as production what about himself? He was told that he was only a late round/UDFA guy and ended up with a career more than worth the 3 we used. Of course, maybe Cooley was right and not worth spending a 1-13 but getting him in the late second was a worthy pick. Also, does Cooley go with what he thinks and then alter it based on what the FO is telling him?

22 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/derrius-guice-eagles-shouting-match/

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Saturday that Guice had a “shouting match” with the Philadelphia Eagles during his visit, and one member from the Eagles said it was “the worst meeting they’ve ever had with a player.

That has the video of the NFL network verifying the story.

43 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/derrius-guice-eagles-shouting-match/

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Saturday that Guice had a “shouting match” with the Philadelphia Eagles during his visit, and one member from the Eagles said it was “the worst meeting they’ve ever had with a player.

That has the video of the NFL network verifying the story.

Good. Anyone who doesn't get along with the Eagles is fine with me. But seriously, we have no clue what precipitated the raised voices. It very well could be that they asked him a question that he found very offensive. Yes, I know I know...the NFL totally investigated and they totally didn't find anything. But that investigation probably went like this:

NFL: Did you guys ask him about anything sexual or anything about his mother?

NFL Team Brass: No way. Scouts honor.

NFL: Seems legit. Case closed.

Either way, it's behind him now and there are no actual indications that he's done anything bad. No criminal history, no drugs, no drinking, no mischief in college, HS coach says the worst he did was not shave often enough for a Catholic school. We got a beast and a steal. Be happy.

My take during the combine is that these questions are infrequent but typical and are intended to get under a players skin to gauge their reaction.  I believe the NFL wanted to sweep it under the rug for PR reasons.  I believe Guice's account more than the Eagles and the NFL.  I also recall the Eagles slandering DJax in the same greasy manner.

"03/08/18 - NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said the team that asked former LSU running back Derrius Guice if he likes men should not be permitted to participate in future Scouting Combines. Smith offered his solution to the problem of teams asking players inappropriate questions like that on PFT Live. "Find out what team did it and ban them from the Combine," Smith said. "The question is inappropriate. Questions along these lines are always inappropriate." Guice said in a Wednesday night appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio that a team asked him at the Scouting Combine if he likes men.

"It was pretty crazy," Guice said on "Late Hits," according to USA Today Sports. "Some people are really trying to get in your head and test your reaction. … I go in one room, and a team will ask me ‘do I like men,' just to see my reaction. I go in another room, they'll try to bring up one of my family members or something and tell me, ‘Hey, I heard your mom sells herself. How do you feel about that?'" In 2016, now New York Giants cornerback Eli Apple was asked whether he is gay in a pre-draft interview with Atlanta Falcons assistant coach Marquand Manuel. The NFL deemed the question "disappointing and clearly inappropriate" and Manuel later apologized. In 2010, then-Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland apologized to now Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant for asking during a pre-draft visit whether his mother was a prostitute. - The Sports Xchange"

4 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

My take during the combine is that these questions are infrequent but typical and are intended to get under a players skin to gauge their reaction.  I believe the NFL wanted to sweep it under the rug for PR reasons.  I believe Guice's account more than the Eagles and the NFL.  I also recall the Eagles slandering DJax in the same greasy manner.

He was asked about which teams asked these offensive questions, and he said he doesn't remember.  The NFL looked into it and found no evidence that any of that occurred.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-says-investigation-uncovered-no-evidence-derrius-guice-asked-inappropriate-questions-002852791.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/caused-star-running-backs-precipitous-023207569.html

It's all much ado about nothing, really.  I just hope he pans out as projected.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Not to be a jerk, but it doesn’t seem like you have much of a handle on him as a runner.  

Guice is patient, shifty (and powerful) and is not bulky... so no, I wouldn’t at all say he ‘could surprise’.  

Now, as a receiver, sure, he could surprise people.  I don’t think he’s a back that will make receiving seem effortless, but I think he can make a difference there and will be able to play all 3 downs.  Blocking and receiving are the two areas I think he has room to improve, but I have no doubt he can be pretty good at both (at the least) with some experience and coaching.  

It's possible you are right (as for me not having a handle on him as a runner). I only watched Youtube clips and not hours worth of game footage, plus I'm not a scout so I'm just going off what I see/feel.  As for his body type I see him differently. Doesn't mean he can't be good.

Per Rotoworld on Williams comments:

Williams seemed to shoot down rumors of off-field concerns. "For this kid, who doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, hasn’t been arrested, no failed drug tests," Williams said. "He’s a happy-go-lucky kid." Williams also said he grew up in the same area as Guice, so he understands what it took for him to get where he is today. It is looking like Washington got a steal late in the second round.

I've listened to all the audio on Guice and my first impression is that he's a good kid, I don't see the crazy, I see big smiles and a friendly guy.

I'm so over people being able to use social media to crush others, whoever leaked the BS info cost this kid a few million dollars on his first contract.

And he's still smiling.

31 minutes ago, dyst said:

It's possible you are right (as for me not having a handle on him as a runner). I only watched Youtube clips and not hours worth of game footage, plus I'm not a scout so I'm just going off what I see/feel.  As for his body type I see him differently. Doesn't mean he can't be good.

Gotta remember he ran between the tackles quite a bit, didn’t run behind a spread offense, and faced more stacked boxes than anyone.  He also runs angrily of course.  So it’s pretty easy to skew one’s perception to him being more of a grinder.  

The difference being that he runs in the 4.4 range, he has excellent vision, good cutting ability, has the burst to hit the creases, the balance to keep his feet, and the lower body to drive through tacklers.  He’s good at avoiding the punishing hits too.  So he’s a do-it-all back.  

@JSSkinzIf it was his ex-agent putting the story/stories out... he might have trouble finding clients.  

Special creativity and balance.  Special toughness and physicality as a runner.

If he stays healthy and works hard, he'll become a fan favorite and the face of the franchise.  He's got star power and pro-bowl talent.  Should get the chance to run behind a good offensive line too.

Jay is going to need to fight his nature and commit to the run though in order to get the most out of Guice.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Special creativity and balance.  Special toughness and physicality as a runner.

If he stays healthy and works hard, he'll become a fan favorite and the face of the franchise.  He's got star power and pro-bowl talent.  Should get the chance to run behind a good offensive line too.

Jay is going to need to fight his nature and commit to the run though in order to get the most out of Guice.

Absolutely.  The concerns I still have for the run game are:

Commitment (as you said).  

TE blocking (I hope we see a good deal of Sprinkle).  

The big LG question mark, coupled with Roullier’s inexperience. 

Scheme adjustment - how does Guice handle the flipping between zone and power runs?  Does Jay install some R/O, and how well does Guice handle that?

Line calls - Smith is a savvy vet, but he’ll be behind a young center and in a new scheme.  

I expect a significant improvement in the ground game regardless, but I feel like the above issues/questions could mean the difference between a respectable run game and a good (to very good) run game.  

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm getting a lot more excited about this pick than I thought I would. 

Same here. I'm all in as well. I think the fact he's kinda unconventional is part of the appeal. Beast on the field, slightly mad off it. I'll buy into that.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I expect a significant improvement in the ground game regardless, but I feel like the above issues/questions could mean the difference between a respectable run game and a good (to very good) run game.  

I'd add another significant issue: lack of depth.  Tackle has four legit players, but one of them might play guard and one will be a rookie.  We do have a serious lack of quality inside and we're going to need at least two more legit bodies, including a starter.  Arie is going to have to start and be good I think, and Christian is going to have to back up guard too.  And Scherff can't get hurt and miss time.  And we probably need to get someone pretty good in free agency.

Guice is also going to have to hit the ground running in terms of learning the route tree.  He's an instinctive football player, but one of the knocks on him was that he needed extra work and teaching to get a handle on play concepts.  The running back route tree isn't as bad and we can simplify it for him early on, but it does have a lot of option routes in it and he'll have to do some reading.

But if he can demonstrate his value in the passing game, then he can stay on the field and make it easier to call runs and commit to the ground game.

Archived