Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Same here. I'm all in as well. I think the fact he's kinda unconventional is part of the appeal. Beast on the field, slightly mad off it. I'll buy into that.

He fits the mold of a great Redskins running back.

The fan base is tolerant of big personalities at this one position because of our history with Portis and Riggins.  He ended up on the right team.

To echo 99% of this board- I couldn't be happier that we landed Guice, especially after trading down. 

I recall a similar excitement last year after we grabbed Samaje. Highlight reel was pretty, as all are, and expectations were high. Well, we were wrong. I'm no scout, but Guice is a whole different talent level and someone who truly warrants this excitement.

That being said, I'm in the minority in believing that our poor run game was due to poor blocking; holes just weren't there. PFF and FootballOutsiders had us rated as one of the worst OLs in yards-before-contact. Any Redskins fan doesn't need the ratings or stats to prove what they saw. Now we have the stud RB, so we can confirm if the problem has been the poor RB talent or a poor OL.

This one really is pretty amazing. Watch how badly Guice sets up the safety. His press to the outside was so convincing that the S went all in on it and took himself completely out of the play. And you could tell Guice knew exactly what he was doing because he was looking right in the safety's direction while doing it.

As an LSU grad and diehard fan, I’ll say it again...we got a stud. He can be an All-Pro. Never had any issues at LSU. Im going to say he ends up being offensive rookie of the year. He is that good. We got ourselves a top 10 talent in this guy. 

@CTskinI don’t think you’re necessarily in the minority there.  I think the oline really struggled badly.  Of course, it was a patchwork line.  I was hoping for a good RB, a LG, and a blocking TE.  We only got the one, so we’ll see how it goes.  I do know that our line when healthy is far better than they showed last year, even if that doesn’t mean they are very good (as a whole, of course).  They weren’t exactly world beaters the year before either.  

I do think we’ll see Guice pick up additional yards that Kelley and Perine didn’t or couldn’t - his speed/vision/shiftiness/power/balance are easily better than those two.  I imagine we’ll still see an unfortunate amount of times runs lose yardage or go for minimal gains, but I think we’ll also see a better average of productive runs (including, but not limited to, long runs).  

Days later and STILL no dirt released? I'm telling you guys, that article was right and this was all a weird freak scenario where the teams all freaked themselves out over nothing after a rumor spread. We got this guy and a 3rd for no reason at all, what a steal. 

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Days later and STILL no dirt released? I'm telling you guys, that article was right and this was all a weird freak scenario where the teams all freaked themselves out over nothing after a rumor spread. We got this guy and a 3rd for no reason at all, what a steal. 

I'm sticking with my story that someone(or a group)within NFL circles conspired to blackball him. Probably an ex agent. And teams in their paranoid pre draft state all bought into it hook line and sinker.

There's another factor that has been overlooked that I hope Guice will induce to the running game and that is getting other players to rise to his effort level.  Harken back to your youth when you'd be on the field, cold, exhausted, frustrated and you'd look across and see a teammate like Guice fighting, scratching, clawing for those extra yards.  It fires you up!  Look at Guice's O'Line in many of his runs - guys that never gave up either.  Lineman that followed him all the way down the field to get in another block or two/  Guys that are fired up.  Guys that don't want to be seen as a quitter on a play when at any moment Guice could break one to the house.  That's what I am hoping for: that Guice's fierce competitiveness will rub off on the O-Line - making average dudes reach deep and become great.

Jon Ledyard, one of the biggest draft geek cheerleaders for Guice.  Thinks he's the best RB in the draft.  3rd best player in the whole draft.  I was amused to read him debate it with Giant fans on twitter after they took Barkley.  I posted this article months back on the draft thread.  But for those interested, here he's tit for tat compraisons trait by trait of all the big RBs in the draft. 

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-evaluating-grading-stacked-running-back-class/

Vision/Decision-making

Derrius Guice – This is a huge area of strength for Guice. Playing behind LSU’s young offensive line things were often congested and muddy, and Guice consistently found the creases and maximized runs with good timing to keep his offense on schedule. He rarely left yards on the field, and showed the ability to be creative and find backdoor creases as well.

Contact Balance/Finishing

Derrius Guice – Arguably Guice’s best trait. He’s violent runner who is more elusive than given credit for, but he knows how to finish runs and he’ll fight for every single extra yard in the process. His ability to absorb hits and stay on his feet is as much a tribute to his desire to stay up as it is his balance, and although he’ll take some shots at times, Guice is terrific at keeping his feet/momentum through contact.

Burst/Acceleration

Derrius Guice – It may have been because of the injuries, but Guice looked a tad less explosive this season compared to last season. Still terrific acceleration, just not quite on the level of some of the other top-tier backs in this class.

\

Analysis

There is a clear top-tier of backs in this class, and I think these four players are decidedly special compared to the rest of their position group. Barkley has the most upside and was outstanding in my secondary preferences for the position, but the primary traits that I (and many others) believe a running back must possess above all else was where the Penn State star was just a bit less polished than guys like Guice and Michel.

Because of that, Barkley finished just a tad lower in scoring than those backs, and that’s with the expectation he’ll destroy the combine. I need to look more into Michel’s fumbling issue (this grade is with him dropped two points due to the concerns), because I really didn’t see many other concerns with his game on tape. I’m just hoping the weakness doesn’t cripple him at the next level.

To me, when Guice is healthy there is nothing important that he lacks as a back. He has the agility, vision, speed, elusiveness, power and decision-making to be an elite running back in the NFL, and he plays every snap like it is his last. He won’t be the first back off the board, but he will be the best if he stays healthy and lands in a solid situation.

To deny that there is an element of preference to this would be foolish. I like to know what I’m getting in my backs, I like consistency and I like the ability to finish runs with an edge. I think Barkley is an exceptional talent that will likely be a top 10-12 player on my board, but in the end, he finished slightly behind two backs that I believe possess the vital traits that Barkley is still developing.

I saw NFL Network review the top 6 drafted backs, and they did not include Guice. I assume it was based solely on draft position, and he did get an honorable mention at the end, but it was rather odd to see nonetheless.

I was curious about his injuries (ankle), and found this nugget from 1 year ago "Guice revealed Thursday that he was lining up at wide receiver this spring, and that figures to be a significant part of the LSU offense. Guice caught 9 passes for 106 yards and a touchdown last season, and he is confident that was only a sampling of what’s to come. “I will be at receiver a lot now and those linebackers are in for a treat,” Guice said. “That’s all I’ve got to say.”

If our TEs and WRs are unimpressive, I want to see CT and Guice on the field at the same time. Using RBs in more dynamic roles seems a trend, a trend away from running scat backs into a brickwall.  I know Jay loves him some CT (we all do) but still find it odd he felt it was a priority to say CT is our 3rd down back, right after drafting Guice.  He could have just texted CT instead. Don't worry, you are still my 3.

Guice is Diiiiice!  Old DC101 Fans will understand.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I saw NFL Network review the top 6 drafted backs, and they did not include Guice. I assume it was based solely on draft position, and he did get an honorable mention at the end, but it was rather odd to see nonetheless.

I'd assume they just took the first 6 guys drafted.  Guice was the #2 RB with just about every draft geek albeit not all.  Mayock I recall bumped him to #3 behind Michel the week before the draft.  Not that it matters to me.

As for the NFL Network, Bucky Brooks said a couple weeks back, Guice is a better runner than Barkley.  Reggie Bush more or less said he thought he was the best RB in the draft on a post draft show and said he was the pick of the draft.

Guice has plenty enough fans as for the NFL shows.  Having said, I hope he doesn't get that much love.  The dude seems to feed off of negativity.

Among the interviews I listened to the other day, there was a guy who covered LSU who talked about how the whole team fed off of the dude's energy.  Will see.  To me I think he will be a Clinton Portis type.  Zany dude.  Fun.   Plays with fire and it will fire up the rest of that unit -- which as I stated in an earlier post -- we could use that considering all the quiet guys we have at the skilled positions

16 hours ago, Supreme Wu said:

As to character concerns, I'll take the word of LSU fans that have watched him for years and have nothing but good things to say.

See this is exactly where I stand, unless you're a mouse in the corner(in Phillies case a rat in the corner doooohhhh lol)or a fly on the wall in any situation no one knows exactly what happens so this is when comments like this come into play.. at least for me anyway

If it were big and really worth headlines... It'd be out by now. The NFL got bluffed by a nothingburger that may likely have been spilled grapes-agent talk.

Do I think it's likely that Payne has some growing up to do and like many gifted athletes has been coddled? I think that's possible. Is he a bad guy? Doesn't look like it.

“For this kid, who doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, hasn’t been arrested, no failed drug test – he’s a happy-go-lucky kid. Him and I talked the other day and I told him the most important thing he has to do now to understand that his world has just changed. It’s all about business. I don’t think he’s going to have a problem with that."

-Doug Williams

That's amazing news to me. I think alcohol is a big reason a lot of players (or even just people) don't live up to their potential. (Other than Scott McCloughan, of course.)

Doug could be an awesome mentor for Derrius. To hear that his biggest off-field "habit" is video games is not scary at all. I have not had much preseason enthusiasm the past 3 years because frankly, I don't think we have a chance at being good w/o a bell cow RB. We got one at a great price. I am so stoked for the 2018 season now. Stay healthy, Derris Guice! 

6 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Gruden places a heavy emphasis on a runningback’s pass pro before giving them an opportunity to play.

I haven’t read much about Guice’s abilities there. Anyone want to chime in?

Maybe Jay answered that question inadvertently, when saying Chris Thompson is his 3rd down back.

Rest assured, yeah he probably needs work in pass pro, otherwise we'd be hearing its a strength. I may reserve comparing him to Portis when i see him blow up a LB in pass pro. Has the league ever had a more violent pass pro back?

Wow oh wow..derrius guice and Chris Thompson together.. is anyone else salivating by imaging highlites of CT last year and morphing it with the possibilities guice brings??...hmmm..thus off season is off to two thumbs up from this guy!

http://www.thepostgame.com/derrius-guice-lsu-tigers-family-nfl-draft

This video is a must-watch... all about the motivation behind Guice....

The more I think about it, I think he is the ultimate steal of the draft. This man is going to be around for a long time and opposing teams will fear him...

Ladies and Gentlemen... We got our RB of the future~

49 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe Jay answered that question inadvertently, when saying Chris Thompson is his 3rd down back.

Rest assured, yeah he probably needs work in pass pro, otherwise we'd be hearing its a strength. I may reserve comparing him to Portis when i see him blow up a LB in pass pro. Has the league ever had a more violent pass pro back?

Possibly. It could also imply that he doesn’t think as highly of his receiving skills :-) CT is definitely our best back in pass pro and receiving ability. And also, Gruden loves CT... and it looks like he’ll always have a role for him in his offence. But it certainly won’t be as a primary back. So perhaps it was Gruden’s subtle way of including CT in the mix of viable offensive options.

And I do reflect fondly on Portis’ pass protection. I can’t believe we don’t see more backs taking as much pride in that skill set. I’ve never understood why a RB wouldn’t take every opportunity to deliver a blow to a defensive player.... for all the shots they take.

Archived