Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

Q&A with Mile Detillier, Part 1: LSU in the NFL Draft

Scott: When it comes to LSU and the draft, the hot topic is the slide of Derrius Guice late in the second round. What’s your take on the way this all played out?

Mike: I have done this 33 years and I see this virtually every year. A prominent agent puts out info (true or not) on a player when he has a client at the same spot. He wants to upgrade the status of his client and lower a player at his position and he doesn’t care if it is true. It’s the ugly part of this process. What is disturbing is the national guys who repeated this and had no proof. No proof. At first, it was off the field issues and then when they were put on notice he had no arrest, no suspensions or any other matters, then it turned to a TMZ video. TMZ’s executives denied they had anything on Guice. Then it turned into a confrontation between him and a coach. Then, when both sides denied it, it became, “Well he didn’t interview well and spoke about video games and bowling instead of watching film.” Look, I deal with agents daily and I know exactly how it works for them. Some are really good people and don’t play this game, but there are always a few who will do or say whatever they can to upgrade their client. It’s draft gossip and some run with it as fact. My deal is prove what you are saying. Prove it. If you can’t, then you can’t go with it. But we live in the social media world of getting clicks and folks making up a story to make their own agenda sound better. Interviews are a personal opinion, and not fact. Guice got caught up with it and he also called out the NFL for their line of questioning in interviews. You think the NFL wants that out? No way, and he is not the first one to say that the line of questioning centered around someone’s mom or their sexuality. We live in that world. It used to be about someone’s health or an injury, but now it’s about their character. Again, prove it, but at this stage it’s old news and the agent did his job of getting his guy picked higher and put Guice in a bit of a free-fall.  Teams pick players with criminal histories and admitted issues with drugs and alcohol and those same guys know it, but they don’t say it. It’s the ugly side of the draft world and I get that same sort of information quite a bit. 

But Guice will do great in Washington. He’s come from a tough background and he is a top competitor and player. Coaches Miles and Orgeron have spoken about him at the highest level. No one is perfect in this world, but this made-up information on him shows just how far some will go to upgrade their own guy. We have all heard about the really good things he has done in the community, but that’s local, not national news. He was targeted and for the agent or agents involved it got their own player picked higher and those guys walk away in the snow with no footprints.

http://www.dandydon.com/Mike_Detillier_LSU_Spring_2018_1.php

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Q&A with Mile Detillier, Part 1: LSU in the NFL Draft

Scott: When it comes to LSU and the draft, the hot topic is the slide of Derrius Guice late in the second round. What’s your take on the way this all played out?

Mike: I have done this 33 years and I see this virtually every year. A prominent agent puts out info (true or not) on a player when he has a client at the same spot. He wants to upgrade the status of his client and lower a player at his position and he doesn’t care if it is true.

If this is true the NFLPA needs to make sure the agents license is revoked. That is frikin ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If this is true the NFLPA needs to make sure the agents license is revoked. That is frikin ridiculous.

It's a nice thought, but it's never gonna happen.  Journalists will protect their anonymous "sources" at all costs.  And I don't think the NFLPA cares enough to bring charges against whatever media outlet runs with an unsubstantiated story.

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Still can't believe we didn't draft him. 

This is another one of those cases. We should, IMHO, always take a shot on guys with that kind of grade. If it doesn't work out, or in La'El's case, it winds up looking like he is guilty, you just cut them. You only need to hit on one to make it worth many 6th or seventh round picks. 

“His mind is made up that he’ll be the best player on the field,” Portis said. “You can see that in his game. My competition on the field? I never gave a s--- about the other team. It was me and Sean Taylor. I’d talk to Sean before the game and tell him I’ll outplay you today. That was a competition.

“I think Derrius has that mindset. You see the determination when he’s running. You see it in that one tackle that a lot of kids can’t break. Man, this is a blessing for the Redskins.”

Portis said he recalled the knocks against him: that he was too small to be an every-down back, that there were off-field concerns because he had a brother in jail, that he was too flamboyant and too arrogant. He said Guice should use whatever concerns exist about him as motivation.

“It was only fuel for me,” Portis said. “I’m upset, I’m mad, I’m angry and for maybe the first five years in the NFL, everyone I faced I wanted to punish them.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/275255/clinton-portis-redskins-need-to-let-derrius-be-derrius

30 minutes ago, burgngold fan said:

La'il had made it clear during the draft that if he wasn't drafted by Rd 3 or 4 he would not sign and sit out the year. He wanted to be able to choose where he went as an udfa

I don't think most players are actually willing to do that. And if so, you spent a late 7th to keep a pro bowl caliber player off of your hated division rival. Not the worst outcome in the world. Maybe a better outcome than most 7th round picks. 

2 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

La’el was whole other level of pre draft tampering ... but yeah nothing came of it and he suffered mightily for it ... it does make you wonder about people ... 

Well, his case was bit different wouldn't call it tampering just stupid jumping to conclusions by all the NFL teams. His girlfriend (ex?) gets murdered, the police want to question him - so obviously he did it (just shear stupidity on the NFLs part).

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we take Matt Jones in the 2nd that year? Who wouldn't like the chance to go back and do that one over? Collins is a beast, all it took was someone willing to grow a pear

5 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we take Matt Jones in the 2nd that year? Who wouldn't like the chance to go back and do that one over? Collins is a beast, all it took was someone willing to grow a pear

Matt Jones is was in the 3rd. Also Collins is a terrible RT.

6 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

so can anyone talk the difference between Barkley and Guice? Speed, strength, ability? How big a step is there between the two? Athletically not character or other..just on the field. Any of the ES knowledge base offer any insight?

Appreciate some info

This is just one persons opinion - but for me Guice is a better pure runner - not by much but a little. He runs with purpose and power but is also patient and allows things to develop. Very good instincts at the LOS.

However, Barkley is a more complete back coming out of college. He is a better pass blocker and pass catcher and was more a part of the passing offense at Penn State than Guice was at LSU. Does not mean Guice cannot learn, but right now Barkley is the more complete back. In time Guice could end up being as good or maybe even better than Barkley - but he has some work to do as it stands right now. 

For me the drop off is not that huge if there is any. Had the so called maturity issues not been bandied about just before the draft, he would likely have been the 2nd RB picked. 

13 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

so can anyone talk the difference between Barkley and Guice? Speed, strength, ability? How big a step is there between the two? Athletically not character or other..just on the field. Any of the ES knowledge base offer any insight?

Appreciate some info

Barkley is slightly faster and is a better pass blocker. Guice is still very close as a prospect though.

Barkley vs Guice is not an easy one because they're pretty different in their style. Barkley is a bit more of an elite pure athlete from a measurables perspective: 40 time, vertical, etc I agree with some others as far as Guice being a better "pure runner". He's more patient than Barkley as well...he's great at setting up his blocks, seeing plays develop and finding creases when there's almost nothing there; Barkley isn't bad at this but he has a tendency to bounce to the outside and try to get into space too often and too quickly IMO. Which kind of makes sense in a way because Barkley is probably the best RB I've seen out in space since LT.

Barkley is obviously a great pass catcher as well, and is more refined in his pass protection. Guice is a very willing blocker but he needs to work on his technique as he tends to go for the kill shot too often (fun to watch but not always effective). I think Guice is probably fine at catching passes but it just wasn't a big part of their passing game at LSU so it's a work in progress for him.

They both have elite balance IMO, especially balance after contact, but I would give Guice a bit of an edge here since he's so incredibly hard to bring down. Barkley is as well but he relies mostly on moves and elusiveness for that as opposed to running through guys. I won't say he shies away from contact but he isn't nearly as physical as Guice. They both have great burst through the hole but I might give Barkley a bit of an edge here...this is assuming we're talking about 2016 non-injured Guice and not 2017.

Tough to compare them. I think some of it also comes down to fit with the team and offense as well. You'd be wasting Guice's pure rushing talent by trying to split him out as a receiver a bunch and doing lots of bubble screens or dump offs to him to get him in space. Not that he'd be bad at it, as he is also good in space, but I think you'd be wasting all of the talent and vision he has as a pure runner. Likewise, if you had Barkley and spent most of your time running him up the gut instead of taking advantage of his best assets and getting him out in space then you'd be wasting his crazy athleticism and open field elusiveness.

We'll just have to see how it shakes out this year.

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Appreciate some info

I’ve read a lot of articles on the two and agree Barkley is the better athlete but not by much. As a runner, Guice is better. Critics regularly point out that Barkley had a lot of pitches outside the tackles where his PSU’s superior offensive line would open up huge lanes. Guice had stiffer competition, smaller lanes, and 8 in the box regularly yet he still produced... even while banged up throughout the 2017 season. 

I tend to believe Guice is better for us than Barkley but I’d be happy to have either. Guice, I think, will make our run blocking look better than it is. Should be a fun competition to watch this year.  

1 hour ago, JaxJoe said:

I’ve read a lot of articles on the two and agree Barkley is the better athlete but not by much. As a runner, Guice is better. Critics regularly point out that Barkley had a lot of pitches outside the tackles where his PSU’s superior offensive line would open up huge lanes. Guice had stiffer competition, smaller lanes, and 8 in the box regularly yet he still produced... even while banged up throughout the 2017 season. 

I tend to believe Guice is better for us than Barkley but I’d be happy to have either. Guice, I think, will make our run blocking look better than it is. Should be a fun competition to watch this year.  

Good point about facing stacked boxes. Barkley faced a stacked box on 55% of his snaps, which was right around the average of 53%. Guice faced a stacked box on 73% of his snaps, which is ludicrous. The next closest runner was Michel at 60%. And Guice still produced.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“His mind is made up that he’ll be the best player on the field,” Portis said. “You can see that in his game. My competition on the field? I never gave a s--- about the other team. It was me and Sean Taylor. I’d talk to Sean before the game and tell him I’ll outplay you today. That was a competition.

“I think Derrius has that mindset. You see the determination when he’s running. You see it in that one tackle that a lot of kids can’t break. Man, this is a blessing for the Redskins.”

Portis said he recalled the knocks against him: that he was too small to be an every-down back, that there were off-field concerns because he had a brother in jail, that he was too flamboyant and too arrogant. He said Guice should use whatever concerns exist about him as motivation.

“It was only fuel for me,” Portis said. “I’m upset, I’m mad, I’m angry and for maybe the first five years in the NFL, everyone I faced I wanted to punish them.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/275255/clinton-portis-redskins-need-to-let-derrius-be-derrius

There does seem to be something very Portis like about Guice. 

It's an exciting pick. Guice, as much as he looks like he loves and lives football, and as talented as he seems, I'm betting the guy is seriously driven to succeed as a result of his upbringing and background. Plus, I reckon he's as hard as ****ing nails. The joker no doubt, but game face on, nobody's knocking him down.

Get good people around him, look after him, we've got a potentially great RB on our hands here. The duty is on the organisation to turn him into a great pro.

28 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

There does seem to be something very Portis like about Guice. 

It's an exciting pick. Guice, as much as he looks like he loves and lives football, and as talented as he seems, I'm betting the guy is seriously driven to succeed as a result of his upbringing and background. Plus, I reckon he's as hard as ****ing nails. The joker no doubt, but game face on, nobody's knocking him down.

Get good people around him, look after him, we've got a potentially great RB on our hands here. The duty is on the organisation to turn him into a great pro.

I was listening to Ryan Clark talk about him the other day, said he knows him for years and that his daughter is friends with Guice.  He said he's not a trouble maker, has good character -- its just that he beats to his own drum and he doesn't really turn that off. 

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Ryan Clark talk about him the other day, said he knows him for years and that his daughter is friends with Guice.  He said he's not a trouble maker, has good character -- its just that he beats to his own drum and he doesn't really turn that off. 

Personally, I like that about him. He's not a troublemaker and doesn't get into off field incidents or anything, but he's got a funny/quirky personality, seems to genuinely enjoy interacting with fans, and doesn't really care if others don't like it. Much better than the standard milquetoast non-personality that gets pushed so much in the NFL. As long as it just remains him being an offbeat character and doesn't morph into worse things once he gets money and he keeps his head focused on football, I have no problem with it.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't hear that - don't get to hear all that much being in the UK but I said on here yesterday that I wondered if Clark was the one giving Doug the inside track on Guice - there was a weird tweet from Guice to Clark that made me question it. Thought the link was LSU though, didn't realise Clark's daughter was friends with Derrius. In the post-draft interview Doug said he wasn't worried about the character issues because they'd met him, liked him and they had "inside information" on him being a good dude. Sounds like my 2+2 did = 4 after all. :rofl89:

On 5/3/2018 at 2:34 PM, UKskins said:

Just spotted a tweet from a couple of days ago to Ryan Clark.

Clark was also LSU alumni, seems to have links with their football programme and obviously has been around Redskins Park not long ago.

I wonder if that's the source of Doug's "inside info". 

Archived