Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

Just saw the picture below on twitter.  Guice comes off as a cool dude.  I said this on the draft thread months back multiple times -- I think the dude would bring needed personality to the team.  Then, I didn't even know about the off field personality as for him being that cool/interactive.  But the on field personality was easy to spot -- feisty, energetic, enthusiastic, emotional. The team on the offensive side of the ball have so many quiet guys -- I recall Jay joking about it last year on Doc's show about have you ever seen such a quiet groups of receivers on one team?

I think we missed Garcon's personality.  I'll never forget when the Giants were handing it to the Redskins at the end of the 2016 season to knock them out of the playoffs.  Finally, the guy that got angry was Garcon and just mowed down some defenders on a play and it seemed to energize the team late in that game.   IMO, we need a guy like that.  Guice to me is likely that guy.   The stars on our team are relatively boring.  I'd rather win than be interesting.  But I missed having some characters on the team -- Portis, Cooley, style.  So I think if Guice is who we think he is playing wise -- he's going to be a mega star here.  I think he will be the hot jersey seller. 

More

Be you and the real love will come ???

DdxW_jmUwAApxcH.jpg

Mad hoppin on caffeine?..is that what those little emojis mean at the bottom of that tweet thing?..the autographs and photos and video message is all cool but the whole him paying for everything is a head scratcher for me..never understood the much love cuz they paid for it thing..just me

Just saw the interview with Guice after the rookie camp practice plus other interviews and what not.

He seems like a jovial excentric guy and theres nothing wrong with that at all.  He seems like a smart dude that loves the game and very humble.

When asked about he fits in he basically said its up to the coach how theyre gonna fit him and the rest of the guys on the field.

Said he has questions for the Vets but wants to try to work things out for himself to see where he needs work.  Thats a great answer and basically the way i go thru my career and prepare for my professional exams.  If you work thru something your more likely to learn it rather than have the answer given to you.

The video game thing is nonsense, Im very good at what i do i work a ton and love what i do but i need a way to escape and video games help me unwind from a stressful day (i'm 35 btw).  only thing that worries me is that david price the pitcher from the Red Sox just got diagnosed with carpel tunnel because of playing to many video games.

This kid runs hard, has a alot of energy, and happy go lucky based on what i see during his interviews.  He comes from a rough back round and madie it out.

I really think this kids gonna be a stud and we hit a grand slam with this pick

I just defeated 26 straight players (we ran out of medals) in Destiny 2 crucible (just came back after the recent DLC) last night and it was the highlight of my year. I am almost 40.

Guice comes off as the kind of kid who buys movie tickets for 50 fans and their kids on a whim because he knows how much it meant to him when someone gave him something without asking for anything in return. 

I would have slept very well draft night if we had drafted him at) 13. It is destiny. 

So psyched for our picks this year. 

I’m so pumped for our entire fan base to watch this guy dominate for the next 6-8 years. He is going to be an All Pro at one point and multiple pro bowler. Just insane to me we landed him where we did. As an LSU alum, I’m so stoked I get to see him continue running for my team. 

Redskins OTA observations: Let's all get excited about Derrius Guice

The Washington Redskins had their first open session of offseason workouts on Wednesday, and the player everybody was on hand to see didn't disappoint.

New running back Derrius Guice didn't get a chance to show off all his moves, since these are non-contact practices, but he earned an endorsement from Jay Gruden for his ability to pick up the playbook quickly, and Guice stayed around longer than just about every other player signing autographs for fans after the workout.

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/redskins-ota-observations-let-s-all-get-excited-about-derrius/article_c82838a8-5eb3-11e8-8ae5-c3a34fc40f49.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-ota-practice-report-qb-alex-smith-sharp

The running backs all looked good but Guice looked the best of all of them. He had an ability to cut and maintain his speed that not many have. With the warning that they were playing with no pads with no contact and not at full speed, Guice’s vision appeared to be outstanding. 

With every day that passes and the likelihood of what many have said all along about all the Guice “issues” (that it was just a shunned ex-agent causing him problems as well as other inconsequential factors) increases... this pick just looks better and better. 

Now, before anyone accuses me of redundancy because pretty much all of us agree with the above already and have stated as much, I wanted to take the opportunity to point out how this is the type of resource management that we’ve been clamoring for. 

We cannot simultaneously recognize just how brilliant the pick seems to be in terms of basic economic principles while ignoring how rarely we get to see such brilliance. 

And, make no mistake, it was brilliant. It’s everything you want to see from a Front Office. Patience, strategy, trust in the scouting process, etc... 

Patience? Heck yeah! They could’ve drafted him at 44 knowing how desperate they were for a RB, but instead traded down, picked up an extra 3rd, and waited patiently to see how the draft fell instead. 

Strategy? Yup. As mentioned above when exemplifying their patience, there had to be a strategy in place with numerous players they were satisfied with falling to the 59th pick they acquired instead. 

Trust in the scouting process? Absolutely. Again, this is exemplified in the strategy involved as mentioned above, but furthermore they would not have ever been comfortable enough, as many teams weren’t, in drafting Guice had they not had the info on him necessary to overcome the fear of the potential truth of the rumors that were being circulated at the time. That is scouting. 

So the FO got a player easily justifiable in spending a late-1st, early 2nd on in Guice AND a 3rd rounder to go with him. They took advantage of a situation where other teams were wrongly overcome with fear and were able to do so with sound intelligence gathering. They capitalize on an opportunity presented and acted with conviction. 

Just excellent all-around in terms of resource management. This is what we’d love to see more of. Proactive versus reactive. Trust versus mistrust. Asset acquisition versus wasteful spending. Patience versus desperation. Foresight versus short-sightedness. 

All of the above was in play here and it’s a thing of beauty when you see it work out, right? 

Now, all of this could end up failing if Guice does become the guy those rumors suggest he is, but I’d posit that it doesn’t change the positives here of it all in terms of resource management. At least that’ll be the case if it’s something else versus the rumors actually having been true, which would mean it was a failure on the scouting level and/or organizational hierarchy not listening to the scouts. 

But, yeah. Awesome. My main point here is, when some of us read the criticisms directed at the top brass and automatically have their defense mechanisms activated to the fullest degree, just remind yourself about the process in which Guice ended up drafted and ask yourself if you’d like to see that more often versus not.

And, no, it doesn’t have to be a rarity, as flukey as this particular opportunity seems to be on the surface. This can be the norm. Every offseason presents a myriad of opportunities for the aforementioned positive aspects of an FO to be applied, and every decision within the building can be made in this way, big and small. :) 

Great post @thesubmittedone

I have my plethora of concerns about the FO, but the way they handled this pick (as you spelled out so well), plus the drafting of Fuller and Moreau, are pretty exciting signs for those of us that have been clamoring for a focus/emphasis on sound drafting.  This year’s 3rd and 4th rounders (Christian/Apke) are different from the above guys, but similar (to the db picks) in that they weren’t necessarily aimed at providing help this year, but rather were longer term investments to hand over to the position coaches to mold.  

Love seeing that level of foresight (the strategy, planning and trust you talk about).  

Just listened to a Finlay/Tandler podcast, they said Guice stood out as the best RB in OTAs.   Only reason why I am mentioning is I recall those guys were the ones putting the brakes all offseason about Perine saying they'd be surprised if he unseats Kelley.   They are singing a different tune about Guice already. 

At this point everyones rooks look great, brand new toys just unwrapped and all, so I tend to look at it this way. If Guice WASN'T w/ the Skins, and I was reading these articles about, how would I feel? I genuinely think I would be taking notice, seeing a kid having fun making it, being an awful lot of the things we'd like to see in our sons at this age. Yeah, he's brash and talky, got his own swagger and all, and is struttin' in the limelight a little right now but I have yet to see one single thing that would darken my opinion of the guy. Happy in and with yourself is an awfully underrated quality, credit his mom for the job she's done.

Playing off of the above post.  I think I easily put up the most posts pushing Guice in the draft thread starting from last fall or at worst I'd be in the top 3.  So I am huge fan of the dude.   But yeah I can't think of a guy I identified relatively early the previous college season, banged the drum for the dude, and the Redskins actually ended up drafting him.

I was probably at my zenith Guice man crush level about 3-6 weeks out before the draft where I was even OK with taking him with the 13th pick.  But the last two weeks before the draft I backed off of it a little -- and the reason being there was growing smoke that the Redskins were going defense early in the draft and would look RB in round 2.  Most draft geeks were thinking Guice was going late first -- maybe worse case early 2nd.  And the Eagles were sniffing all over Guice.

I recall whining on that thread about imagine if the Eagles land Guice?  He started showing up in mocks to the Eagles.  Eagles met the dude multiple times.  The Eagles reporters were hyping up Guice as a strong possibility.    Heck even on the NFL Matchup show aired before the draft, Sal Paolontanio who is a Philly guy said after their segment on Guice -- it will be nice seeing the dude in green soon.

So psychologically I was starting to brace myself to the idea that Guice is more likely going to be an Eagle than a Redskin.  And I just hated the idea of Barkley with the Giants, Elliot with the Cowboys, Guice with the Eagles all in the division.

I recall saying geez if we thought it was tough stopping the NFC East run games before imagine that?  I recall some others like Mistertim saying the same -- lamenting the idea of Guice in an Eagles uniform.

That's my long winded way of saying if I were hearing the same thing about Guice if he were for example with the Eagles -- yeah I'd buy into it 100% and pessimism would set in to me about it all. :( So I am glad he's here.:)

Listening to Craig Hoffman today.  He said he thinks they take 4 RBs this year.   Guice/Thompson naturally are givens.  He thinks Byron Marshall might be a given, too.  He says Jay loves him.  He thinks the 4th spot is a battle between Perine and Kelley.

He thinks Kelley might edge Perine.  I can tell from multiple segments Hoffman isn't a big Perine guy.  He was talking in another segment about how Perine doesn't talk to the media or rarely obliges and how Guice in comparison is a breath of fresh air to deal with in the locker room thus far. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Speaking of Chris Thompson, I thought this was pretty cool:

Shanny knew how to run offenses and find talent too on that side of the ball.  My issue with him was not the same drill on defense.  Arguably the three best players on offense that have been acquired via the draft are from his drafts still -- Trent, Thompson, Reed.   And Kirk of course until this year.  

McElroy, who played at Alabama and now serves as an analyst for ESPN’s SEC Network, reached a conclusion the Washington Redskins hope becomes an accurate foreshadowing.

“I like Sony Michel, I like Nick Chubb,” McElroy said, “but I thought Guice was better than both.”

And then McElroy referenced Fournette, Guice’s LSU teammate who was the fourth overall pick in 2017 and helped Jacksonville reach the AFC Championship Game.

“I liked Guice as much as I liked Fournette coming out,” McElroy said.

Whether or not Guice will top those other backs remains uncertain. Regardless, he’s generated excitement in Washington -- mainly because of comments such as the ones from McElroy. Guice didn’t fall to No. 59 because of his talent; rather, it stemmed from questions about his background.

Those who watched him, coached him or coached against him don’t doubt his ability. In three yeas at LSU, Guice ran for a combined 3,074 yards, having split time with Fournette in 2016.

“We recruited him, so we knew in high school he was a very competitive player,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “He’s tough, got a little dog in him in terms of when you play against him, he’s fighting for everything he gets. The guy has good ability and he’ll be a good player. I always had a tremendous amount of respect for him.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36553/no-doubt-sec-coaches-analysts-convinced-in-derrius-guice

20 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

McElroy? Isn’t that the QB that some dude on here said was gonna be the next Tom Brady? Had some stupid QB rating system and had a fifty page thread on it? :rofl89:

Yeah good memory, if I recall the dude was called Atlanta fan or something like that.  I recall debating him on somethings.  McElroy fit that dude's QB model as the real deal.  If I recall his metrics was primarily driven by completion %.

Archived