Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah good memory, if I recall the dude was called Atlanta fan or something like that.  I recall debating him on somethings.  McElroy fit that dude's QB model as the real deal.  If I recall his metrics was primarily driven by completion %.

He...did not believe in the scientific method lol. We all killed him because his magic "formula" was made by picking his favorite QB's and then working backwards to create a formula that would spit out those guys at the top every time. What a dumbass venture that was. 

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He...did not believe in the scientific method lol. We all killed him because his magic "formula" was made by picking his favorite QB's and then working backwards to create a formula that would spit out those guys at the top every time. What a dumbass venture that was. 

Atlanta Skins Fan did at least keep things awfully interesting to his credit, lol

23 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

McElroy? Isn’t that the QB that some dude on here said was gonna be the next Tom Brady? Had some stupid QB rating system and had a fifty page thread on it? :rofl89:

We really jump on obscure bandwagons don't we?  Remember the old Cult of Colt thread for Colt Brennan because he had 1 good quarter of preseason football?

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

We really jump on obscure bandwagons don't we?  Remember the old Cult of Colt thread for Colt Brennan because he had 1 good quarter of preseason football?

If you went into it and cracked a joke you got a 24 hour ban. :ols:

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Man, did that guy have some moxy.....

5 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That was slightly different because we gained 50 new members who were actually Hawaii fans barely masquerading as Skins fans, who learned just enough about the team to make ridiculous arguments as if they'd be around when Colt moved on anyways...and predictably, every single one left. 

I'm really hoping this guy becomes a great running back. The team drafted Derrius Guice at #59 overall. Which really isn't that high, but at least creeps into the 2nd round. And in Guice's case, he had what many felt was first round talent. So he's arguably (and to many, not all that arguably) more talented than any recent Redskins running back. And even just by being picked at #59, he's the highest drafted RB since Ladell Betts in 2002. Which is a really long time to not invest one high pick at the position. And Betts' draft position wasn't that much higher, being drafted at #56 overall. The team hasn't spent a top 45 picks on the position since Reggie Brooks in 1993. And Brooks just make the cut at pick 45 on the dot. I think you have to go back to 1967 to find an actual first rounder in Ray McDonald.

I haven't looked at what other teams have done at the position, but it seems bizarre that a franchise could go 50 years without using a first rounder on a running back. And in those 50 years, it only took 4 players in the second round: (1) Richard Williams - 1983 (pick 56); (2) Reggie Brooks - 1993 (pick 45); (3) Ladell Betts - 2002 (pick 56), and now (4) Guice (2018 - pick 59). And 3 out of those 4 barely made it into the 2nd round. This team really hates drafting running backs high. And sure you don't really need to draft a running back that high to have a good one, but I also tend to think every other franchise has drafted multiple running backs that high in the last 30 years. So it's kind of nice to have a really talented running back for once. It's like a shiny new toy. Let's hope it doesn't break.

The only reason we were able to draft Guice at that pick was the vindictiveness of a shunned agent and the advent of social media.  In th 70's or 80's he would be drafted in the top 25 & the second RB picked. I frankly had written off getting him after the Payne pick and then trading back. It is ridiculous that we got him where we did. I guess the Gods decided it was our turn to get lucky; very lucky.  This is even better (much) than the Cowboys OLineman that fell to them bacause of a set of unfortunate circumstances. Hail

On 5/30/2018 at 6:14 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think Marko Mitchell taught many a lesson, too. :D  Even though some beat guys have said Cam Sims has made some nice plays in practice -- I've noticed people are restrained.  In the old days, we might be cooking with a thread like we got the next Plaxico Burress in camp.  I can just imagine the narrative.  He was under utilized in Alabama.  You can't teach metrics like that either you got it or you don't on and on. :) 

4 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

The only reason we were able to draft Guice at that pick was the vindictiveness of a shunned agent and the advent of social media.  In th 70's or 80's he would be drafted in the top 25 & the second RB picked. I frankly had written off getting him after the Payne pick and then trading back. It is ridiculous that we got him where we did. I guess the Gods decided it was our turn to get lucky; very lucky.  This is even better (much) than the Cowboys OLineman that fell to them bacause of a set of unfortunate circumstances. Hail

Oddly enough, both from LSU.

8 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Was it confirmed that  his agent did that?   But I was not 100% certain.  But since Philadelphia denied anything amiss during his interview and then I learned he dumped his agent, it was the only conclusion that seemed logical.   

2 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

Was it confirmed that  his agent did that?   But I was not 100% certain.  But since Philadelphia denied anything amiss during his interview and then I learned he dumped his agent, it was the only conclusion that seemed logical.   

Philly changed their story - at least once. The original story was they had a tense meeting at the combine. Then Guice asked through his agent to have another chance to meet with them in Philly and that went well. In the end only they bad Guice know exactly what happened. 

I am thrilled how it turned out. So if it was his agent I would love to send him some champagne or wine. We have a guy with a **** ton of talent and big chip on his shoulder. It's still no guarantee, but I like our chances. 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Philly changed their story - at least once. The original story was they had a tense meeting at the combine. Then Guice asked through his agent to have another chance to meet with them in Philly and that went well. In the end only they bad Guice know exactly what happened. 

That's the interesting part. Philly interviewed the kid TWICE, obviously they had a strong interest in him, and knew he was projected to be a mid-late 1st rd talent.  Yet, when they had the 17th pick in the 2nd rd and Guice was still available, they passed on him. I think that is where his true slide really began to be noticed..

On 6/3/2018 at 12:49 AM, Jericho said:

I'm really hoping this guy becomes a great running back. The team drafted Derrius Guice at #59 overall. Which really isn't that high, but at least creeps into the 2nd round. And in Guice's case, he had what many felt was first round talent. So he's arguably (and to many, not all that arguably) more talented than any recent Redskins running back. And even just by being picked at #59, he's the highest drafted RB since Ladell Betts in 2002. Which is a really long time to not invest one high pick at the position. And Betts' draft position wasn't that much higher, being drafted at #56 overall. The team hasn't spent a top 45 picks on the position since Reggie Brooks in 1993. And Brooks just make the cut at pick 45 on the dot. I think you have to go back to 1967 to find an actual first rounder in Ray McDonald.

I haven't looked at what other teams have done at the position, but it seems bizarre that a franchise could go 50 years without using a first rounder on a running back. And in those 50 years, it only took 4 players in the second round: (1) Richard Williams - 1983 (pick 56); (2) Reggie Brooks - 1993 (pick 45); (3) Ladell Betts - 2002 (pick 56), and now (4) Guice (2018 - pick 59). And 3 out of those 4 barely made it into the 2nd round. This team really hates drafting running backs high. And sure you don't really need to draft a running back that high to have a good one, but I also tend to think every other franchise has drafted multiple running backs that high in the last 30 years. So it's kind of nice to have a really talented running back for once. It's like a shiny new toy. Let's hope it doesn't break.

Well, when you trade for Riggins, George Rogers, Byner, & Portis...sign FA Terry Allen...and hit on later round picks Stephen Davis and Alfred Morris...that pretty much covers not "needing" to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB from 1980-2014.  :)

My #1 reason for optimism about the season is Guice.  Not to jinx the dude.   Stay healthy! :)   I thought the article from Tandler below where Kelley alluded to him being hurt as being the issue -- I think that's wishful thinking on his end.  To me Kelley is just a guy.   Perine (unlike Guice) was not one of the guys I touted before the 2017 draft but I learned to get jazzed about him anyway in that off season.  I am starting to wonder if Perine is just a guy, too.  But I hold out some hope.

Guice IMO isn't just a guy.  I think he will be the first RB we've had to be Portis like if not even better.    Many blame the blocking for the lack of running game.  But Cooley got my attention on this front in his film study saying the O line is fine, TE blocking is poor and the running backs are "meh".  Just rewatching some of the games myself -- Kelley and Perine among other things aren't quick to the hole and I wonder about their vision.  I just think if you have 4.65 speed like both Kelley and Perine do -- you have to have special vision, balance, quick feet, etc -- and I don't think those dudes have that.  

Almuni watched practice today

Guice was full of energy and made quick decisive cuts no hesitation and easily got to the 2nd level

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-redskins-week-was-guice-has-plenty-confidence-doctson-gaining-it

Guice challenges Kelley

Rob Kelley was not at all surprised that the Redskins drafted Derrius Guice. He came into the 2017 season as the starter, but ankle, knee, and rib injuries limited him to seven games and 194 yards.

He sees that drafting Guice was the logical thing to do. 

“I hate to say it, but if I’m playing Madden and my running back is hurt, I’m going to get another running back,” he said on Wednesday. “You’ve got to keep the train going.”

Kelley has made it clear that he does not want to be at the end of that train. He looks trimmer and a step faster than he has in the past. He also got his signature dreadlocks removed and he now sports a more conservative hairstyle. 

The Redskins social media team noted the changes in Kelley and tweeted the following:

Guice saw the tweet and commented with a challenge:

So much for rookies being seen and not heard. 

Guice appears to be the direct opposite of Doctson in his first two years in the league when it comes to confidence. He is brimming with it. We will see how that affects his play on the field (and his relationships with his teammates). 

Guice, from a purely physical talent perspective, is by far the best RB on this roster.

He doesn’t need to play a single down on Sunday to prove that. It’s quite evident just by the mini-camps

Nothing against fat rob or Perine, but they are officially JAGs at this point.

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Seriously. I thought he was a good draft pick initially, but now I'm not so sure. Questionable decision making.

Ya that's what I'm thinking..and he looks to be enjoying him self.. starting to really second guess our guys making draft picks..

Archived