Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

it does beg a possible question.... when is the desire to prop up christian numbers in the USA going to start to outweigh the racist underpinnings of the anti-immigration zeal for the evangelicals? 

I expect "at least they aren't towel heads, right?"  to be the beginning salvo of many heart warming introspective discussions in near future

Reminds me of a time I was watching NFL with a GOP supporting relative (immediate family 🙁). Somehow the subject of abortion came up and he was talking about how every life is so precious...

And then he said, “quit dancing N-word” as someone was doing an end zone celebration. Couple week’s later he said it’s none of our business if MBS wants to murder Kashoggi. Wish I was making that up but sadly, no.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

it does beg a possible question.... when is the desire to prop up christian numbers in the USA going to start to outweigh the racist underpinnings of the anti-immigration zeal for the evangelicals? 

I’m not actively involved in a church anymore and hesitate to describe myself as Christian for a variety of reasons. 

but from what I see, never. It’s sort of like the GOP... the rational ones started walking away a while ago. There are still rational Christians but they’re the ones leaving. Which means the irrational ones are gaining power over time. I don’t foresee a time where rational Christians have the pull to make any changes. I think they lost that power a while ago and it’s never coming back. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

I thought immigration was being driven by latin america (christians), and abortions were mostly coming from the godless athiests?   

The rate for hispanics is lower is it not?

what is the change for asians?.....fwicr they are the fastest growing demographic.

There is also the matter of folk just not wanting to share/choose religious affiliation to pollsters.

Christian is a pretty broad demographic.... and still a large percentage of the population. 

(...60%? )

they are not ALL CartoonVillainTyingMaidenToRailroadTrack like all the "Juniors"   (franklin Graham and Falwell junior etc...)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am a Christian and for the life of me I still have no idea how any even mildly self-aware Christian can support this guy.

I look at Christianity that preaches Love they Neighbor as Thyself and they back this guy.

I look at Christianity that preaches our God is a God of Love and they back this guy.

I look at Christianity that preaches our God is a God of Truth and they back this guy.

As I've said repeatedly before, the problem isn't Christianity, the problem is false Christians.

I mean seriously, if everyone Loved they Neighbor as Thyself and practiced don't kill, don't steal, don't covet, don't lie, and serve others, whether you believe as I do in God as the creator, that is a better world.  For crying out loud, if Jesus were to show up, I got news for you, he's going to be hanging out with homosexuals, because they're still His children.  It was the Pharisees (church leaders at the time more focused on their power than following their own teachings...sound familiar?) who kept having a problem with him hanging out with everyone he apparently wasn't "supposed" to hang out with.

This idea it's right to separate immigrants from their children because well, if they just followed the rules they wouldn't be in that situation...are the same folks who preach that there is not a single one of us that are without sin and NEED Jesus to overlook our transgressions because we specifically CAN'T earn it ourselves.

The same folks who worship a God who says trust Me are saying, nah we need a wall and by the way, we also need a gun, because not only do I not trust you to keep me safe, I feel I have the right to break one of the 10 commandments (kill) to protect myself.  It's insanity.

It's not Christianity that's the problem.  It's the perversion of good, foundational principles by people who either willfully or ignorantly choose to pervert them for their own purposes.  They'll find some obscure Old Testament quip and give more weight to that than AN EXACT QUOTE FROM JESUS!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

Christian is a pretty broad demographic.... and still a large percentage of the population. 

(...60%? )

they are not ALL CartoonVillainTyingMaidenToRailroadTrack like all the "Juniors"   (franklin Graham and Falwell junior etc...)  

Right. But their numbers are falling. And they're falling because new people aren't finding appeal, and existing people are finding a lack of appeal.

I think there's two different groups

the religious Christian

and

the social Christian

And my understanding is that most of the people walking away aren't walking away from Christianity the religion, they're walking away from Christianity the social construct. That comes from talking to people who are responsible for identifying their membership problems and trying to think about how to fix them.

There's really a lot of parallels with the GOP. When the rational people leave and the irrational people gain more control, what do you do? How do you wrestle control back? How do you get the people who left back, and keep your current base. There exists a real concern for people who make these decisions about doing something about it all and the people who left still don't come back, and the people who were there leave, and you are left with nothing.

You can argue about the merits of caring about the irrational people, but the people I've spoken with aren't interested in chasing them off; more they're interested in getting them to adapt and stay within the system. And while Im sure plenty of people feel that way for money reasons, I don't have any reason to believe these people feel that way; I think they're genuinely trying to do right in the situation and are perplexed on how to do it...

It's easy for someone not tied to it all to say "Well if they have a problem with gay marriage tell them to go elsewhere." It's not so easy when it's your job to figure out how to get the people back who left because they didn't like that stance, but keep the people who still feel that way, and navigate what trying to do that means.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Epochalypse said:

It's not Christianity that's the problem.  It's the perversion of good, foundational principles by people who either willfully or ignorantly choose to pervert them for their own purposes.  They'll find some obscure Old Testament quip and give more weight to that than AN EXACT QUOTE FROM JESUS!

That was a good post.  I would make the distinction that it's not "Christianity" (meaning, the source material) that is the problem.  It's "christianity" the institution with its structures and leaders and agenda (political, financial and otherwise) that is the problem.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ask Orlando: Are Central Florida’s hotels losing their religion?

This sounds like start of a joke, but it's not.

An atheist walks into a hotel room. He spots something next to the bed and freaks out.

Is it a tarantula? A severed head?

No!

It's a Bible, which brings us to this week's Ask Orlando question.

"Do hotels still have Gideon Bibles? I don't think I'm seeing them as much as I used to."

The reader's observation is correct. Hotels still have Bibles, but the Scriptures are getting harder to find. That means a lot less reading material in Orlando, which has approximately 2.4 billion hotel rooms on International Drive alone.

Marriott International's policy is to place Bibles and the Book of Mormon in almost all its rooms. Other major chains leave it up to individual franchises.

That makes it hard to say exactly how many rooms have gone religion-free. But a survey of 2,400 hotels by the hospitality analytics company STR might make Joel Osteen jump off the balcony of his $10.7 million mansion.

About 95 percent of U.S. hotels offered religious material in 2006. That plummeted to 48 percent in 2016.

Why?

There's "a need to appeal to younger American travelers who are less devout than their parents or grandparents, and to avoid offending international travelers such as Muslims or Buddhists," said Michael "Doc" Terry, an associate instructor at UCF's Rosen College of Hospitality Management.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/17/2019 at 6:03 PM, No Excuses said:

We did it fam

WOOT!! Probably more accurate to say the ‘Muricun Taliban did it to themselves though.

I’m at a point where I think we need to make the constant whining about the alleged war on Xtianity a real thing, instead of a product of the fundy persecution complex. The first thing that needs to happen is removing the religious tax exemption and depending on size, require them to behave just like other businesses. Discontinuing govt. funding of private religious schools should be next. Those would be good opening salvos, but more needs to come after that. Nobody really cares about you practicing whatever religion you want - just stop doing it on the taxpayers’ dime.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:21 PM, China said:

Ask Orlando: Are Central Florida’s hotels losing their religion?

About 95 percent of U.S. hotels offered religious material in 2006. That plummeted to 48 percent in 2016.

Why?

There's "a need to appeal to younger American travelers who are less devout than their parents or grandparents, and to avoid offending international travelers such as Muslims or Buddhists," said Michael "Doc" Terry, an associate instructor at UCF's Rosen College of Hospitality Management.

Click on the link for the full article

Wow. Now I’m all conflicted. Should I keep throwing these things out when I find them, or let it stay to alienate international and non-Muricun Taliban travelers?

On 11/8/2019 at 4:03 PM, mcsluggo said:

i posted this in another thread.... but it works much better here:

tumblr_ov3wujaTgP1usv7xpo1_1280.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQDHfvaK_XbqcSrI

Thanks Cap’n!!😃😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/11/26/apocalyptic-myth-that-helps-explain-evangelical-support-trump/?utm_campaign=post_most&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

The apocalyptic myth that helps explain evangelical support for Trump

1. “God’s used imperfect people all through history. King David wasn’t perfect. Saul wasn’t perfect. Solomon wasn’t perfect,” outgoing Energy Secretary Rick Perry said in an interview on “Fox & Friends” before going on to claim that he had given the president “a little one-pager on those Old Testament kings about a month ago. And I shared with him, I said, ‘Mr. President, I know there are people who say, you know, you are the chosen one,’ and I said, ‘You were.’ ”
  2. Perry’s statement — especially that “chosen one” bit — would be more surprising in a different administration. At this point, though, it could almost disappear into the background chatter of the administration and its allies.
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 8:04 PM, twa said:

Perry thinks Obama was God's chosen as well...the mans a loon.

🏁

And Hitler would logically follow. But notice he didn't volunteer that Obama was chosen back when he was in office, only now as an explanation of why he said Trump is.

Add: As to the OP I would say Trump, and more importantly the Evangelical leaders who fawn over him, have done severe damage to the credibility of the movement with young people. It really does look like the last gasps of a desperate demographic. Amazing that the GOP would be betting the farm on the idea they can sustainably pull off minority rule rather than broadening their appeal.

And yes,  GOP / white Evangelical is becoming interchangeable.

Edited by RedskinsFan44

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely harming. 

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009.

Both Protestantism and Catholicism are experiencing losses of population share. Currently, 43% of U.S. adults identify with Protestantism, down from 51% in 2009. And one-in-five adults (20%) are Catholic, down from 23% in 2009. Meanwhile, all subsets of the religiously unaffiliated population – a group also known as religious “nones” – have seen their numbers swell. Self-described atheists now account for 4% of U.S. adults, up modestly but significantly from 2% in 2009; agnostics make up 5% of U.S. adults, up from 3% a decade ago; and 17% of Americans now describe their religion as “nothing in particular,” up from 12% in 2009. Members of non-Christian religions also have grown modestly as a share of the adult population.

PF_10.17.19_rdd_update-00-020.png

Christins have a built in victim complex so when Captain Bone Spurs starts complaining about being persecuted, it's something they can identify with and they think he speaking on behalf of all Christians.  Plus you have christian leadership across the nation who don't discuss his sins in any sort of real way, they just gloss over it and use words like "forgiveness" or "he is changed through the grace of god" to justify the things he does.

I'd say its hurting christianity from critical thinkers among the population who may consider joining a church only to find out it's all bull****, but within the already born again crowd it helps them feel represented in govt.

these are very hard times for evangelical christians who don't approve of trump at all

these days i suggest that americans who don't support trump but do believe in islam, judaism, or christianity, just tell people they're buddhists until this is all over

• Haha 2

as i've thought since i was a teen, even as a terminally hetero dude, this is one of the several gigantic flaws that kills cred for all the religions of the bible:

the ole homosexuality is "sinful" to "god" shtick

certainly that's a red line only a divine/ perfect being would draw, and can't be the clear hand of ignorant fearful humans

even just the mechanics of what appendages go into what orifices for which approved forms (can you say "married" and "heterosexual" boys and girls?) of consenting adults is, logically, the sole mandate of an all powerful, all knowing, supreme, perfect, creator who holds a special love for humans (how fortunate)  and of course doesn't make mistakes  😂

• Haha 1