Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

47 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Even the Catholic Church recognizes evolution and the big bang now.

Uh, the big bang was popularized by a Priest.  I don't think the Catholic Church has ever had much of an issue with it.

And even Darwinian evolution was never really fought against by at the top (some Catholics did and do hold anti-evolution view points), but by the time Darwin came along, the Catholic Church was plenty aware that parts of the Bible would need to be read allegorically to not attack the theory (at least at the top).

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Uh, the big bang was popularized by a Priest.  I don't think the Catholic Church has ever had much of an issue with it.

And even Darwinian evolution was never really fought against by at the top (some Catholics did and do hold anti-evolution view points), but by the time Darwin came along, the Catholic Church was plenty aware that parts of the Bible would need to be read allegorically to not attack the theory (at least at the top).

6 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

It's the same sarcastic bull**** response I got for 20 years every time I talked to Evangelicals about that exact same thing.

I'm not exactly sure what's happening here, I'm jus trying to have a conversation with yall.  I dont understand the need to further prove my point that science and religion can co-exist and even work with each other or call that sarcastic.

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not exactly sure what's happening here, I'm jus trying to have a conversation with yall.  I dont understand the need to further prove my point that science and religion can co-exist and even work with each other or call that sarcastic.

We're talking about the state of Christianity in America in a Trumpian world, I'm just reflecting to you exactly what I got from the good religious folks for 20 years whenever I tried to talk about things like evolution and god. You're trying to have an honest debate, and I'm telling you that they don't give a **** about what you, the Pope, or any other educated ****ing liberal has to say. They know what god said and that's it. Hell, as soon as you bring the Pope into the discussion most of them will take the opposite position BECAUSE the Pope believes it.

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Growth of religious nones data

Give this another 10 years, and a good amount of states will be majority non-religious.

Trump and Christians have done more to make the case for non-religiosity than any atheist like Dawkins or Hitchens could have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Give this another 10 years, and a good amount of states will be majority non-religious.

Trump and Christians have done more to make the case for non-religiosity than any atheist like Dawkins or Hitchens could have.

“The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.”

~DC Talk

And apparently, it's what a believing world simply finds unbelievable.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That could be single digits by time this country crosses over into majority minority.  Brave new world.

Not that there's anything wrong with an organization spending decades claiming divine authority to make pronouncements of personal opinion over science, then quietly changing their opinion. 

Doesn't make me question their current claims of divine authority over any other matters or anything.  

44 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Yep.  That's basically what I said on the first page of this thread, back in April 2018.  

On 4/19/2018 at 3:15 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Definitely harming.  When your raison d'être is your perceived morality and claimed values, and you throw those morals and values away for some temporary political power, people inside and outside of your organization are going to question what purpose you serve.   

• Like 1

843D16F4-3379-4E96-854B-CF614B12482C.jpeg

Like sure, ok Karen, but don't I need my own understanding to understand the Bible or when god is supposedly talking to me? Or should I listen to others? But if I listen to others aren't they leaning on their own understanding? Oh, I will know when god is leading me? Really, because in my head god sounds a lot like the voice telling me to slap the **** out of the annoying lady in line at Walmart.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Haha 2

Yanno, I am sympathetic to those that are genuinely trying to reconcile their religious indoctrination with reality and finding it harder with every passing day. I hear the same ole tropes about faith and trusting in God's plan, etc., but more and more it just feels like a lot of them are trying to convince themselves that they haven't poured a huge amount of their lives into some falling, failing stock that ain't ever rebounding.

So be it.

It's not my place or my pleasure to take them to task on it, you won't see me banging on doors handing out pamphlets, I am actually pretty comfortable just sitting back and letting it play out, reality can do the heavy lifting on this one. 

Historically atheists/nonbelievers/whatever have been singled out, demonized, terrorized for NOT toeing the line and anteing up on Sundays, made to pay a price in many ways from a tacit sense that even a small measure of dissent has the potential to pull back the curtain and the whole schtick collapses. Now, it is becoming more and more normal to just not, not participate in it, not fund it, not pay lip service to it, just not. And the whole structure of "organized religion" in all its iterations is starting to shake, it groans and cracks under the weight of its own contradictions and hypocrisies without even being under attack or opposed, but merely by the existence of people living their lives every day without an Iron Age mythos to scare them into not being a piece of ****.

But again, I'm happy that we have reached a point where it can even be discussed openly. Some might see this all as snotty, snarky commentary but that's just me, I honestly am sympathetic to anyone choosing to carry all that extra weight. I may not get it, but I don't need to, right? 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

that is a good read.   it is not excessive, or reactionary, just a solid even-tempered read of the things the Fallwell cadre do to censor their FRIENDS and allies.    

Fortunately, i don;t have to retain the same level of calm even-temper.....  Jerry Falwell Jr. is probably the single biggest threat to Christianity in America today.

• Like 2

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people." (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, twa said:

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people." (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

So have nothing to do with trump? I like that...

Edited by Skintime
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, twa said:

People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people."

Oh my god. This is the best description of Donald Trump I've ever seen.  It hits all the low points:

Lover of self.

Lover of money.

Boastful.

Proud.

Abusive.

Disobedient.

Ungrateful.

Unholy.

Without love.

Unforgiving.

Slanderous.

Without self control.

Treacherous.

Conceited.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, Fresh8686 said:

Thanks for posting this. 

Anyone who is paying attention can see that Falwell's version of Christianity has little in common with Christ's teachings. 

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/4/12/17216258/lynchburg-rally-red-letter-revival-shane-claiborne-jerry-falwell-jr-liberty-university

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Where's the Bible verse that says that Children of God would reject the refugee while the sons and daughters of Satan would be the ones to love their neighbors?

Probably that judge not one , give em a inch and next they want a king.