Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

even just the mechanics of what appendages go into what orifices for which approved forms (can you say "married" and "heterosexual" boys and girls?) of consenting adults is, logically, the sole mandate of an all powerful, all knowing, supreme, perfect, creator who holds a special love for humans (how fortunate)  and of course doesn't make mistakes  😂

Right. God cant tell me directly if I should put some kind of gun control in place. Ill just have to pray on that. But he does have an opinion on if I should stick my dick in that or not. Lol yea ok

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

as i've thought since i was a teen, even as a terminally hetero dude, this is one of the several gigantic flaws that kills cred for all the religions of the bible:

the ole homosexuality is "sinful" to "god" shtick

certainly that's a red line only a divine/ perfect being would draw, and can't be the clear hand of ignorant fearful humans

even just the mechanics of what appendages go into what orifices for which approved forms (can you say "married" and "heterosexual" boys and girls?) of consenting adults is, logically, the sole mandate of an all powerful, all knowing, supreme, perfect, creator who holds a special love for humans (how fortunate)  and of course doesn't make mistakes  😂

Three engineers on their way to a conference were discussing the nature of God.  

"Just look at the human body.  A rigid structure, connected by a woven structure of fixed-length ties, with actuators which can only contract, no other action.  And only with a fixed strength, and only so often, delivering force to other areas.  Balanced in an upright, unstable position, and self maintaining.  Clearly, God is a mechanical engineer."

"But all of that is under the control of a network of electrical potentials.  All of them completely binary, either firing or not.  Only ones or zeroes.  Communicating with each other by proximity, but not quite touching.  But using those levels to represent and interpret all action, all senses, all ideas, thought, and reasoning.  Every thing that humanity has ever accomplished.  Clearly, God is an electrical engineer."  

"Who but a civil engineer runs a toxic waste pipe through a recreation center?"  

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Right. God cant tell me directly if I should put some kind of gun control in place.

C'mon.  You can't get clearer than the Second Amendment burned on a stone tablet by a talking bush.  

Edited by Larry
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, twa said:

I don’t think evangelicals were ever in much danger of defecting to the side of us heathens. After all, the lunatic fringe knows with absolute certainty that they’re right, so there’s no need to bother them with stupid, inconvenient facts or anything. It’s all the rest of us they’re losing ground with. You, Pat Robertson and the Grand Oligarch’s Party can keep that 20ish percent of society. The rest of us would like to get along with the business of having a viable country. Besides, as rural ‘Muricuh continues to wither and die off, the evangelical numbers will go down with it. Good riddance.

Edited by The Sisko

32 minutes ago, twa said:

It was obvious when he didn't say the anointed one.

is that really a thing---has he actually been called that word by one or more of those guys?

see? i can't tell for sure what might be just joking or referring to something real :ols:

9 hours ago, Llevron said:

God cant tell me directly if I should put some kind of gun control in place.

He said you can’t. That’s a recent thing though. Coincidentally started around the same time that the NRA started making massive contributions to his campaign. I’m still waiting to get a look at God’s tax returns too.

13 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Praise Trump. Who could forget the miracles he performed? Just one touch and he made a woman's bra size three cups bigger.

Well, not really, her breasts just seemed three sizes bigger because of his tiny hands.

• Haha 8

Posted elsewhere, but fits here...

LA Times op-ed:

Call Trumpism What It Is: A Cult

By Virginia Heffernan

The comparisons have come hard and fast, at least since 2015. Trump is like Silvio Berlusconi, like Adolf Hitler, like Boris Johnson. A 2018 film called “The Trump Prophecy” took the evangelical route, comparing Trump to Cyrus the Great, the 6th century BC Persian monarch chosen by God to free Jewish captives in Babylon.

But maybe it’s time to stop searching for the exact analogy for Trump, be he Cyrus or Boris, Adolf or a Silvio. What demands analysis is less the arrogant 73-year-old mediocrity in the Oval Office, but the worshipful attitude so many Americans have toward him.

A lot of nut jobs have peddled lies to Americans before, and even styled themselves as messianic. But at no time in history have so many Americans been drawn to what’s looking increasingly like a cult. I don’t use the term recklessly.

When Steven Hassan, an expert in cults and an ex-Moonie (as in the Unification Church, founded by a Korean businessman, the Rev. Sun Myung Moon), published “The Cult of Trump” last spring, some reviewers objected to his use of the cult framework as incendiary and not all that useful.

Indeed, for Trump critics to call his admirers cult members might be just another salvo in our nasty political warfare. It’s similar to the Trump psychologizing over the years that often doubles as name-calling: He’s a baby, a psychopath, a stone-cold narcissist.

The discourse around cults partakes of some woolly theories. “Mind control” and “brainwashing” are shibboleths from the 1950s, when the coinages were used to describe what Chinese Communists did to convert freethinkers to their cause. The implicit suggestion is that unsavory ideas and ideologies can only win adherents using extreme and witchy measures.

All that put me off the notion of Trumpism as a cult. But then in August, Trump looked heavenward and called himself “the chosen one.”

Suddenly, among evangelicals, it wasn’t enough to make comparisons with Cyrus or even King David. He had to be the savior himself. The far-right radio host Wayne Allyn Root called Trump “the second coming of God.” Then former Energy Secretary Rick Perry straight up affirmed Trump’s craziness, telling him, “You are here in this time because God ordained you.”

Republican lawyer George Conway reportedly described his wife, Trump’s presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway, as a member of a cult. Former GOP strategist John Weaver has used the term. Anthony Scaramucci, Trump’s onetime communications director, concurs. Also news vet Dan Rather, conservative political scientist Norman Ornstein, science journalist Steve Silberman, pastor John Pavlovitz and academic and journalist Jared Yates Sexton.

What the cult diagnosis may lack in scholarly rigor, it makes up for in explanatory power. When polled, far too many Republicans come across as having abandoned their commitment to libertarianism, family values or simple logic in favor of Trump worship. They’re lost to paranoia and factually unmoored talking points, just the way Hassan was lost to Sun Myung Moon.

It can be heartbreaking when loved ones succumb to Trumpism. (It’s a double whammy when your grief is dismissed as liberal tears.) A true believer undergoes a “radical personal change,” as Hassan puts it. The person you once knew seems somehow ... not there.

More: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-01-10/donald-trump-cult-steven-hassan-moonie

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...