Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From bikes to trains to video games it's the biggest toy store there is

Springfield

34 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I don't wanna grow up. I'm a Toys R Us kid. 

Hide contents

I actually don't think I set foot in Toys R Us all that often.

I have a 2 year old. Ive purchased exactly one thing from Toys R Us. A power wheel. Shipping cost too much is the only reason. 

i bought a ps4 for my kid a couple of months ago, online, from toys r us. it was 199, so not too shabby. paid for it, went a few hours later to pick it up, and they said 'hmmmm....it looks like your order hasnt come through the system yet'- even though i could show them that i'd ordered it. so, they couldnt give me the ps4.

i said 'do you have them in stock?' because stores (walmart- shocker) will say they have stuff in stock, you buy it, then go to pick it up, and, viola- no loot. 

they said they had 4 of them in stock. 'so, can i get one??'

'no. sorry. system is acting up'.

no wonder they are going under. 

I never stepped foot inside a Toys R Us until I was 15. I remember when I was little we used to drive by the the Toys R Us in roanoke and it always had the windows covered with this rainbow striped paper and you couldn’t see in. I always thought kids weren’t allowed in there and it was just a secret place parents met up with other parents during Christmas time to discuss presents for their kids and buy them. That’s why it was kept so secret. I was blown away when I got to middle school and heard stories of other kids going there all the time to get toys. 

I've gone in as an adult with a kid or more before.  That place was a hot mess from an organizational standpoint.  I felt claustrophobic it was so packed with stuff on tall shelves and skinnier then normal aisles I could get from Walmart or Amazon for cheaper.  I want to read what happened, but I wouldn't be shocked if mismanagement played a part, as well as lack of adaptation.  What I described has been a similar experience to how I felt as a kid in there more I think about it.  I didn't consider it a treat compared to going somewhere else for toys, and I can remember as far back as 3rd grade being taken to Wallyworld for LEGOs instead.

If you were a kid in the 70's, it was heaven. My grandma took me there and bought me a Redskins helmet and some other stuff. I only remember the helmet, but my God I was freaking out. Almost bladder control freaking out. Haven't been in one since way back then.

It was a thrill going there in the mid to late 80s and early 90s.  The one on Rt 7 in Tysons.  

I went in one a few years ago, and the smell of plastic was intoxicating.  Associating a smell like that with a memory of being a kid, going in there and getting an action figure like a Transformer or a GI Joe was great.  Or going to where the Nintendo games were, picking the game, getting that little slip of paper and taking it to the window in the front where they'd give you the actual game.  Well, mom or dad would but you know what I mean.

Sounding like an old man here, but it's kind of a bummer that kids growing up now won't know what it's like to go to a toy store and how fun that was.  

I remember going in to a Toys R Us for the first time back in 75 when one was located on 29 just up from the intersection at 50 in Fairfax. Talk about toy nirvana. ;) Last place I saw one of those Marx WW2 sets. Got my first ten speed there and it was my main mode of transportation many times up until it was stolen in 82. Spent many a Christmas time there buying gifts for my brothers,(got the first Star Wars figures there and of course,they were big with the Micronauts and the old Mego action figures).  Did a little shopping at one in Salt Lake for my younger nephews in the early to mid 2000's but that was the last I remember going in to one. Still some fun memories. :) 

11 minutes ago, PCS said:

I remember going in to a Toys R Us for the first time back in 75 when one was located on 29 just up from the intersection at 50 in Fairfax. Talk about toy nirvana. ;) Got my first ten speed there and it was my main mode of transportation many times up until it was stolen in 82. Spent many a Christmas time there buying gifts for my brothers,(got the first Star Wars figures there and of course,they were big with the Micronauts and the old Mego action figures).  Did a little shopping at one in Salt Lake for my younger nephews in the early to mid 2000's but that was the last I remember going in to one. Still some fun memories. :) 

Oh hell yes, Micronauts! That's probably what I got, I think. Maybe a Shogun Warrior. Mazinga! Back when toys still fired dangerous projectiles. Fire the missiles and hope nobody gets hurt. Lose interest and move on to some Coleco handheld 9v battery powered blip sports game. Life was good.

I never cared much for Toys R Us.  Maybe because I never went in one until I was an adult.  And since, I've always preferred the smaller independent toy stores that had more unique and high quality merchandse.  I won't miss it.

Where the hell am I supposed to buy Zoids model kits now!

Outside of the above, I never had too much use for Toys R Us post 2001.  They were my (and my parents') go-to for Power Rangers and then Jurassic Park/Lost World/JP3 toys.  Had a brief flirtation with mechwarrior k'nex but then, outside of Zoids kits, never really went in there much.  Just outgrew them and don't have a kid of my own to take into one yet.  Videogames were big in some Toys R Us stores for a time, which probably would have kept me going there a lot more (I remember tons of N64s running Glover front and center back in late '96, early '97) but they eventually sort of just pushed videogames into a corner and that sort of weakened any drive to use them for gaming stuff.

1 hour ago, China said:

I never cared much for Toys R Us.  Maybe because I never went in one until I was an adult.  And since, I've always preferred the smaller independent toy stores that had more unique and high quality merchandse.  I won't miss it.

That's definitely an adults take.  The last thing in the world my daughter cares about when it comes to toys is "unique and high quality merchandise." 

I went to the grand opening of one in Richmond in the early 1970's and met Jerry Smith.  They had run out of photos and he was signing the little pick up slips you got one you bought something that was not on the floor, but was in the back.

I also remember in the 1970's that if your carnival for muscular dystrophy raised the most money in your town/city, you got a 3(?) minute shopping spree at Toys R Us.

This is sad.  Taking my kid to Toys R Us has been one of life's little joys.  And there's one just a mile from my house.  I just took my 3 yr old there the other day.

And I love online shopping as much as the next guy, but I will always lament the inconvenience of not having a brick and mortar store to go to when I need/want something immediately.  It's basically Wal-Mart/Target or bust.  

13 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

Oh hell yes, Micronauts! That's probably what I got, I think. Maybe a Shogun Warrior. Mazinga! Back when toys still fired dangerous projectiles. Fire the missiles and hope nobody gets hurt. Lose interest and move on to some Coleco handheld 9v battery powered blip sports game. Life was good.

image.png.a4340582f8ccca28d69f70350ece7d3d.png

image.png.a47ecb3d9c94aa0074f214ac7e5c47aa.png

I remember getting this one too. :) 

image.png.d44f8278f3314e460ba8516570a28628.png

i'm about to go to a local one and see if a 90 or 160 box of crayons is still available lol.

last night the employees still held out hope that they didnt know the decision... after i already googled 3 articles that said it was over.. 60 day packages for emplyees  etc..

in 2001, in California, at Toys r us, I bought the 1999 limited edition nfl monopoly lol.. That I only took the plastic off about 4 months ago.

I also bought a Risk game with the little plastic soldiers that I never opened either.

Archived