Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Well, I’m pretty sure upgrading QB with a legit veteran is probably high priority this off-season.  Especially considering how much $ will be saved against the cap when Alex Smith is cut.  

 

I'd agree and it should be done quickly. No WR is coming w/ the promise of getting a QB. You gotta already have the guy on the roster.

 

If we don't trade for a QB, the earliest we can sign a guy is the start of FA, which is well before the draft. If you take the time to get your QB situation solved, a few of the WRs you may have preferred may already be off the table.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

 

I'd agree and it should be done quickly. No WR is coming w/ the promise of getting a QB. You gotta already have the guy on the roster.

 

If we don't trade for a QB, the earliest we can sign a guy is the start of FA, which is well before the draft. If you take the time to get your QB situation solved, a few of the WRs you may have preferred may already be off the table.

I think the world knows we're going to aggressively get a QB this offseason. WR too and the Team is on a major uptick so that should help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I crazy? Trade two 2nds for Matthew Stafford and cross fingers hope and pray for a way to draft Devonta Smith? I think that alone transforms the offense and makes us ready for the super bowl.

Edited by OGDMV
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d sign at least one one receiver and take another in the draft to take advantage of this draft class. There are plenty of slot receivers that will be found in the draft and I’d argue your hit rate is higher with rookie slot receivers than outside guys.  I’m more on board with signing a Marvin Jones, Hilton or AJ Green for a fraction of the cost of a Godwin, Golladay, etc to keep our own guys. Isaiah McKenzie on the Bills is another slot receiver who can be had at a bargain and has return ability

 

I would also make sure I get a real TE2. As it turns out, it was a big mistake to cut Richard Rodgers. You have to pick up one of the guys who will be available Day 2

 

AGG has to put on weight and try to make the team as a Joker TE. If he stays at WR, there is a very real possibility he does not make the team as he showed nothing this year.

 

McLaurin/Hilton/McKenzie/Sims/Harmon/rookie slot (Atwell?)

 

Thomas/Freiermuth/AGG

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked some of the flashes I saw from Wright, but it wasn’t nearly enough given the snaps he took.  I like him as depth competition though.  I’m probably more torn on this position than any other in terms of bringing in a FA - purely because of the money.  We need an ILB badly, have to decide what to do with Scherff (likely pay him big) and make sure we are in a position to re-sign McLaurin and the dlinemen (not too far) down the road.  I have little doubt we land a talented one in the draft - though that’s based on faith more than anything.  FO nailed McLaurin, Thomas, McKissick and Gibson (though AGG is a huge question mark... but he also had/has a lot of developing to do).

Edited by skinny21
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I liked some of the flashes I saw from Wright, but it wasn’t nearly enough given the snaps he took.  I like him as depth competition though.  I’m probably more torn on this position than any other in terms of bringing in a FA - purely because of the money.  We need an ILB badly, have to decide what to do with Scherff (likely pay him big) and make sure we are in a position to re-sign McLaurin and the dlinemen (not too far) down the road.  I have little doubt we land a talented one in the draft - though that’s based on faith more than anything.  FO nailed McLaurin, Thomas, McKissick and Gibson (though AGG is a huge question mark... but he also had/has a lot of developing to do).


Wright was good in the first game he got serious time in, which I believe was the Browns game but has been trash since. He is the type of guy you stash on a practice squad for depth. I don’t see how he makes the team next year.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, petey hodge said:

I think for all our WR drops in the game tonight... Tampa also had their share of critical WR drops.

I'm feeling it all balanced out in the end.

 

what does everyone else think? 

 

I think that while I'm sad the season's over, I'm excited that the next time we see this team play a game that matters, we won't be starting 4 UDFA's all in the same position group.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 2:46 AM, method man said:


Wright was good in the first game he got serious time in, which I believe was the Browns game but has been trash since. He is the type of guy you stash on a practice squad for depth. I don’t see how he makes the team next year.

I'm not impressed at all. I don't think he has a future in this league with those hands/concentration. 

 

Upgrading at receiver is desperately needed to avoid relying on guys like Wright again. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming that we don't address the WR position this offseason (which is not the truth). I think that all healthy we saw Sims emerge as the #2. Harmon played well in 2019 but Sims played better, including playing well in the playoff game. He did have a critical drop early in that game but had 100+ receiving yards. and on similar number of targets and receptions (44 targets 30 catches for Harmon, 48 targets and 32 catches for Sims). That's similar catch percentage but the yards is 365 for Harmon vs 477 for Sims. And its not just a numbers game its what was scouted about both WRs - Harmon is more of a jump ball guy but not really a YAC guy. Sims can do both. Harmon had 94 YAC vs Sims getting 249. Their YBR were similar (271 vs 228). 

 

Does Sims need to sure some things up, like his hands and possibly his routes? Yes. But I could easily see us not getting none of the premier guys and coming back with Sims as our number 2. And while I don't think this is the best path forward, I think Sims could continue to grow as a good player in the league. 

 

One more thing, about Wright. I think the opportunity was there for Wright to take the #2 spot from Inman. He had more yards than Inman and was somebody that Haskins relied on early in the season. But after that Detroit game where he had 6 catches on 6 targets for 59 yards, we saw his production plummit. Does this show an inability to get separation? Lack of trust from Smith? The only time he had more than one catch in a game after Detroit was in Seattle where Dwayne was playing. He did have 4 targets against Pitt but only one catch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Assuming that we don't address the WR position this offseason (which is not the truth). I think that all healthy we saw Sims emerge as the #2. Harmon played well in 2019 but Sims played better, including playing well in the playoff game. He did have a critical drop early in that game but had 100+ receiving yards. and on similar number of targets and receptions (44 targets 30 catches for Harmon, 48 targets and 32 catches for Sims). That's similar catch percentage but the yards is 365 for Harmon vs 477 for Sims. And its not just a numbers game its what was scouted about both WRs - Harmon is more of a jump ball guy but not really a YAC guy. Sims can do both. Harmon had 94 YAC vs Sims getting 249. Their YBR were similar (271 vs 228). 

 

Does Sims need to sure some things up, like his hands and possibly his routes? Yes. But I could easily see us not getting none of the premier guys and coming back with Sims as our number 2. And while I don't think this is the best path forward, I think Sims could continue to grow as a good player in the league. 

 

One more thing, about Wright. I think the opportunity was there for Wright to take the #2 spot from Inman. He had more yards than Inman and was somebody that Haskins relied on early in the season. But after that Detroit game where he had 6 catches on 6 targets for 59 yards, we saw his production plummit. Does this show an inability to get separation? Lack of trust from Smith? The only time he had more than one catch in a game after Detroit was in Seattle where Dwayne was playing. He did have 4 targets against Pitt but only one catch. 

Yeah, I think that group as a whole is subpar.

 

Not nearly enough speed/explosiveness.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yeah, I think that group as a whole is subpar.

 

Not nearly enough speed/explosiveness.

 

Need to seperate. That's Cam's issue. Harmon's too. 

 

Going all out for a #1 like Robinson changes the entire dynamic. Terry can run more deep routes to push teams vertically. Easier then to find an adequate slot option with the outside threats. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yeah, I think that group as a whole is subpar.

 

Not nearly enough speed/explosiveness.

 

 

They are subpar but thats what everybody is (who's not a top draft pick) until they emerge. I think that what a decent WR needs is a good QB to get them the ball. I'm not against signing somebody that can get separation but the problem with a lot of the WRs is that they get big names because of the big plays they've made but a lot of times they have other things like questionable hands or injury problems or attitude problems or route running problems. We've seen the hands emerge as a problem with our own guys (both Sims WRs and Wright), but I think they can all get YAC and have some speed. I laid out that C Sims gets a lot of YAC. Other guys like Foster was a deep threat but he can't catch. Same goes for Perriman who we had here for a nanosecond but he couldn't catch. D. Jackson was a great deep threat but he can't stay healthy.

 

My thoughts are that if we have 5 guys who Turner knows and a QB that can get the ball out in time, we can build an offense around them. Sure its great if one of those guys is a Pro Bowler but I was so excited about Cam Sims and what he did on those last 8 games (two 100+ yard games, a 90+ yard game, a 60+ yard game and a 50+ yard game). Thats not elite by any means but it shows that he can create become an outlet for QBs so they don't depend only on TMac, Thomas and JMC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Need to seperate. That's Cam's issue. Harmon's too. 

 

Going all out for a #1 like Robinson changes the entire dynamic. Terry can run more deep routes to push teams vertically. Easier then to find an adequate slot option with the outside threats. 


Agreed. And Logan and McKissic could absolutely feast in this situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Need to seperate. That's Cam's issue. Harmon's too. 

 

Going all out for a #1 like Robinson changes the entire dynamic. Terry can run more deep routes to push teams vertically. Easier then to find an adequate slot option with the outside threats. 

I have a hard time believing that Robinson would ever consider us considering he has played with lackluster QB’s his entire career.  I’d think he’d wanna sign with a team that has a really good established QB.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 6:47 AM, -JB- said:

I have a hard time believing that Robinson would ever consider us considering he has played with lackluster QB’s his entire career.  I’d think he’d wanna sign with a team that has a really good established QB.  

 

That's an impression of mine too.  We only get Robinson if we trade for Stafford.

 

There exists a scenario where we trade for Stafford without giving up #1, then sign Robinson, then draft Waddle at #19.

 

Normally I'd say let's not draft a slot guy at 19, but Waddle can play outside as well.  That's not quite the full offensive overhaul we need, still need OL and TE depth.  But it's a massive offensive makeover.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 5:01 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Receivers came into the game second half. First half drops crucial though. I have reservations about both Sims’.

 

We are desperately light on talent at WR/TE. 

I remember going back and forth with @KDawg about Steve Simms. At the end of 2019, it looked like I was going to be right. At the end of 2020, it looks like @KDawg was more on target.

 

He flashed so brightly in 2019 and closed really strongly, but this year because of injuries, opportunities, or whatever he didn't take that next step up. If anything, he regressed. I don't know if he can fix his hands/concentration, but at this point his ratio of drops to "WOW" plays is in the negative. Hopefully, he can fix the problem, but he's made his life harder.

 

I do wonder if the fact that he had to play with four different QBs in 2020 played a part in his woes, but don't really think so.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 1:29 AM, JCB said:


Agreed. And Logan and McKissic could absolutely feast in this situation.

I think speed is important. Having receivers that back up the dbs makes the swing passes even more deadly. Push those safeties back. It's something I noticed when watching Kansas City. The short stuff is wide open and getting good gains every time because teams are so afraid of giving up the instant homerun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...