Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

The context of the topic was not how they played in 2020.

But how each one was perceived before 2020 even started.

It's very different.

He’s always had hand issues. 

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The question in context was not whether S Sims was great, but which of the 2 Sims were considered better, and at that point in time - before the season.

Even taking into consideration Steven's drops, i don't see any way anyone can argue that Cam looked better (again - prior to the 2020 season starting), based on his production the previous 2 seasons of his, which were virtually nonexistent in production.

Actually before the season, and overwhelming majority wanted to cut Cam Sims. If you would have asked anyone before the season to pick 1 Sims, I bet virtually all of them would have picked SS.

Did anyone see this coming, with Cam ?

As for the drops ? It appears Steven Sims Jr has actually improved in that area, this year.

in 2019, SS caught 61% of his Targets.

So far in 2020, SS has caught 80% of his Targets, which is actually higher than Cam's 75%. And their total targets in 2020 are almost identical in comparison - 25 and 24, respectively

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

IIRC, it's why he went undrafted.  If he had hands, he could be something special.

Cam Sims has stepped up in a big, big way.  I said it on Monday, I'll say it again here...one of the best things about the Steelers win is that they took McLaurin out of the game and our other pass catchers stepped up.  Cam Sims, Logan Thomas, JD McKissic.  I know McKissic is a running back but let's be honest here, his real value is as a pass catcher.  He's part of the receiving corps as much as anyone else is, he opens up things for the rest and he must be accounted for.  

Playoffs or not this year, this is why I want Alex Smith back as the starter in 2021.  I don't believe these guys are performing in the way they are if Haskins is in there.  That's a different conversation for a different thread, but you see how these guys are developing and contributing with a veteran under center.

• Like 2

The receiver position is going to be really interesting to watch over the off-season. 

Clearly you have McLaurin, who's your #1.  But then you have a bunch of guys who are pretty good, and the question is are they going to progress to the level you want them to, or are you going to go out and get a legit starter?  Assuming your goal is to be a top 10 type of offense, do you have the guys, or do you need more guys.  Are they really good, or are we "Ashburning" ourselves, as JP likes to say.

Cam Sims - coming on late.  Great size, good hands, good speed, but could he really be a starting #2 for a top 10 offense? My guess is if he continues to show up, he's the starter across from McLaurin going into the season.  I don't think they'll spend big money on an outside WR. 

Isaiah Wright - Rookie.  Has had a few good moments, some not so good moments.  Developing. Probably going to compete for the same role he's in this year.  

Steve Sims Jr. - This is my guess for a guy who we had high hopes for who will be replaced in some way next year.  I think they don't trust him.  And he drops too many balls.  I think he's the surprise guy who's somehow replaced.

Inman - I think he's gone

Robert Foster - I know nothing about him

Jeff Badet - I know nothing about him.   

Then there are the IR guys.  We have no idea what AGG can do, he played a few games, got hurt, and now is on IR.  And my bet for breakout player of the year over the summer, Kelvin Harmon, missed the entire year.

I think they probably want to see if AGG/Cam Sims can be the starter opposite McLaurin.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them bring in a more top-end slot guy.  

I also think they're going to try and find another complement to Logan Thomas at TE.  

The way you build a solid offense from a skill position perspective is you have the ability to stretch the field horizontally and vertically.  They have speed with McLaurin, size with Cam Sims, and size with Logan Thomas.  They need a complimentary guy inside, either slot or another TE (or both)

This is a far cry from what we thought this group was going to be going into the season where we thought they were so limited they'd be lucky to complete a pass a game.  

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The receiver position is going to be really interesting to watch over the off-season. 

Clearly you have McLaurin, who's your #1.  But then you have a bunch of guys who are pretty good, and the question is are they going to progress to the level you want them to, or are you going to go out and get a legit starter?  Assuming your goal is to be a top 10 type of offense, do you have the guys, or do you need more guys.  Are they really good, or are we "Ashburning" ourselves, as JP likes to say.

Cam Sims - coming on late.  Great size, good hands, good speed, but could he really be a starting #2 for a top 10 offense? My guess is if he continues to show up, he's the starter across from McLaurin going into the season.  I don't think they'll spend big money on an outside WR. 

Isaiah Wright - Rookie.  Has had a few good moments, some not so good moments.  Developing. Probably going to compete for the same role he's in this year.  

Steve Sims Jr. - This is my guess for a guy who we had high hopes for who will be replaced in some way next year.  I think they don't trust him.  And he drops too many balls.  I think he's the surprise guy who's somehow replaced.

Then there are the IR guys.  We have no idea what AGG can do, he played a few games, got hurt, and now is on IR.  And my bet for breakout player of the year over the summer, Kelvin Harmon, missed the entire year.

I think they probably want to see if AGG/Cam Sims can be the starter opposite McLaurin.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them bring in a more top-end slot guy.  

I also think they're going to try and find another complement to Logan Thomas at TE.  

The way you build a solid offense from a skill position perspective is you have the ability to stretch the field horizontally and vertically.  They have speed with McLaurin, size with Cam Sims, and size with Logan Thomas.  They need a complimentary guy inside, either slot or another TE (or both)

This is a far cry from what we thought this group was going to be going into the season where we thought they were so limited they'd be lucky to complete a pass a game.  

Wright made the team, and that may become his biggest accomplishment. He's made some catches, but havn't seen anything of him, that makes me go "Wow"

Badet is a fast little guy. A poor man's Steven Sims ? Or a Sims with better hands ? Sims' slot replacement ? Too early to tell, either way. Would like him in camp next year at least.

Robert Foster is very intriguing to me. He's already made big plays for other NFL teams, in the regular season. So he's proven he has what it takes.

Cam Sims has really flashed, and done so, multiple times this year. My question is, can he be dependable and consistent as a #2, game in and game out ?

Seems like you counted out Harmon for next year, as you did not mention him at all, in the future tense.

His rookie season he made a decent impact. I won't let one unfortunate injury completely erase that

14 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Steve Sims is a poor man’s Crowder IMO, down to the ‘okay’ hands.  If Sims can up his route running precision, I think he could be a good (well, maybe pretty good at least) slot receiver for us.  

The way Smith is running the draft these days, I dont expect him to be on the team in '21

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Cam Sims can produce for the rest of the year like he has for these past few games, I am comfortable with him going into next year as the #2.  If he winds up with around 35 catches for 500 yards in a season where he started a little over half the games, that's pretty good production.  Right now he's at 18 catches for 337 and 4 games to go.

I had high hopes for Kelvin Harmon before this season, too.  I don't think they will let an injury stop him from showing what he's got next year.  

If we go into next year with our top 3 as McLaurin, Cam Sims and Harmon, that's a group that's still somewhat unproven but there's a lot of upside, especially with a veteran like Smith at the helm.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

S. Sims might hold onto the bottom rung WR spot, as a kick/punt returner, possibly

He's still shaky back there.  He took one to the house last year against the Patriots but only after he dropped it.  

I'm good with McLaurin, Cam Sims, Harmon, and Logan Thomas as the starters. I'd like to see us draft a speedy TE to go with L. Thomas. I don't see us keeping Sprinkle. AGG will push Harmon and C. Sims. S. Sims could be our fifth receiver, but I'm guessing we will draft a speed guy to take his place.

Edited by dswerdlw
Just now, dswerdlw said:

I'm good with McLaurin, Cam Sims, Harmon, and Logan Thomas as the starters. I'd like to see us draft a speedy TE to go with L. Thomas. I don't see us keeping Sprinkle. AGG will push Harmon and C. Sims. S. Sims could be our fifth receiver, but I'm guessing will draft a speed guy to take his place.

Yep. Logan is a solid in line TE. Now we could use a dangerous move TE who is almost a big receiver. This draft should have that guy in Day 2 / Day 3

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He's still shaky back there.  He took one to the house last year against the Patriots but only after he dropped it.  

Sims Jr just needs to borrow the other Sims' glove, to improve his hands

A reference to this tweet ;)

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems like you counted out Harmon for next year, as you did not mention him at all, in the future tense.

That wasn't my intention.  I mentioned he was my "breakout player" candidate, and I'm assuming he would be part of the plan next year, depending on his recovery.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sims Jr just needs to borrow the other Sims' glove, to improve his hands

@KDawg

A reference to this tweet ;)

He's joking, but those gloves are no joke.  They're extremely...grippy.  I'm not sure how else to describe it.  They're not sticky in the sense that you'd get residue on your bare hand if you touched that glove, it's not like pine tar or something.  They provide an exceptional amount of...grip?  Traction?...that will help anyone catch a football.

Put it this way:  If Sims Jr is having a hard time catching balls with gloves on, that's bad.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

He's joking, but those gloves are no joke.  They're extremely...grippy.  I'm not sure how else to describe it.  They're not sticky in the sense that you'd get residue on your bare hand if you touched that glove, it's not like pine tar or something.  They provide an exceptional amount of...grip?  Traction?...that will help anyone catch a football.

Put it this way:  If Sims Jr is having a hard time catching balls with gloves on, that's bad.

I meant, he needs Cam's gloves in particular. Ha

Just curious, does the NFL have any resrictions on types of gloves they wear, kind of how they made a restriction on Stickum ?

Logan Thomas is our TE. Point blank. He’s the guy. Get him signed.

Now find a slot. I don’t care if it’s an electric slot, a size matchup slot, a combo slot or Terry McLaurin with someone else manning the outside. Need a slot.

• Like 2

Curtis Samuel has to be a free agent target. He is such an obvious fit with what Turner runs. The emergence of Cam Sims would complement that kind of move.

Thomas has really grown on me at TE. Real diverse skill set.

Pitts would be a fantastic player in the line up with Thomas. Sadly I think our draft needs to go in a different direction.

53 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Logan Thomas is our TE. Point blank. He’s the guy. Get him signed.

Now find a slot. I don’t care if it’s an electric slot, a size matchup slot, a combo slot or Terry McLaurin with someone else manning the outside. Need a slot.

I really think TY Hilton makes the most sense especially because he’s shown signs of life recently. He can play both inside and outside, will be cheaper and will be a nice bridge as these young guys develop

What about Allen Robinson in free agency and move Terry to the slot, could be nasty.

48 minutes ago, method man said:

I really think TY Hilton makes the most sense especially because he’s shown signs of life recently. He can play both inside and outside, will be cheaper and will be a nice bridge as these young guys develop

He can play but he's always nicked up and he's 31.  I wouldn't hate it but I think there are better options.

A bigger WR who can block.

Edited by JSSkinz