Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

The Doctson situation hurts even more because when he was drafted we already had a pretty good WR core.  The assumption was they drafted Josh because they knew they couldn't retain Garcon & Jackson, however if they could go back in time, pay those two guys and use the 1st round pick for something else?  Oh....to wish.

• Like 4

I like P Rich but he's all we've got at WR, we need playmakers and unfortunately, you can't just snap your fingers and find them which is why the Doctson pick is a killer.

I think WR is next on the hit list, we have to give Paul someone on the other side who can take the pressure off of him.

This didn't just come to fruition today, its been a "thing" for a while but today it was exposed.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The Doctson situation hurts even more because when he was drafted we already had a pretty good WR core.  The assumption was they drafted Josh because they knew they couldn't retain Garcon & Jackson, however if they could go back in time, pay those two guys and use the 1st round pick for something else?  Oh....to wish.

I always felt letting them leave was the right move but not replacing that production was the real mistake. FO gambled on this Richardson Doctson combo hoping they would met their potential but no fall back if they didn't.  I don't want to use a first rounder on a WR, we suck balls at that

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It was disturbing to see how easily a secondary like the Colts, who are young and not all that talented, was able to basically shut down our passing game.

Jay had to dig deep in that playbook for confidence building routes for Doctson and Richardson.  That's all I needed to know about how Jay felt about them, I already see how Alex feels about them, he doesn't have to say it, take don't lie, he doesn't trust them

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I figured they'd keep one. Instead they got rid of both, and drafted a dud, then signed several others. They have been applauded for being more fiscally responsible lately,  but what's the point when you just become the opposite of the past (buy everything...left with empty cupboard/sell everything... empty cupboard).

We had one of the more explosive offenses in football, and it's now been reduced to a Sumerian ruin. The team has (so far) missed a fair amount on  their 1st and 2nd rounders post cap penalty as well. Just a total deconstruction, and inept talent evaluation, and now they are stuck in a state of perpetual mediocrity at best because they numbskull their way into routinely plugging leaks instead of building a foundation.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I figured they'd keep one. Instead they got rid of both, and drafted a dud, then signed several others. They have been applauded for being more fiscally responsible lately,  but what's the point when you just become the opposite of the past (buy everything...left with empty cupboard/sell everything... empty cupboard).

We had one of the more explosive offenses in football, and it's now been reduced to a Sumerian ruin. The team has (so far) missed a fair amount on  their 1st and 2nd rounders post cap penalty as well. Just a total deconstruction, and inept talent evaluation, and now they are stuck in a state of perpetual mediocrity at best because they numbskull their way into routinely plugging leaks instead of building a foundation.

I was thinking about this. At one point receiver was a major strength. Then, they let both their receivers go in exchange for question marks (Pryor and Doctson). Likewise, we had one of the better secondaries and in the same offseason let Bree and Fuller go, turning that secondary strength into a question mark. Now, so far the secondary is kind of holding up, but this team has had strengths and they just toss 'em away.

The 2018 receiving corp (I include tight ends and running backs since they are used so extensively as receivers) could still be worth something, but overall, it's still at best a question mark.

Edited by Burgold
  • Thanks 1

The tougher part for me to make sense of right now is what exactly the front office's plan is for the Alex Smith era itself.  We all know he is not the long term answer, but does the team have a plan laid out for a franchise QB, and whether or not they intend to draft young skill position players for that QB so they will be hitting their 2nd and 3rd seasons when Alex Smith hands over the reigns.

This kind of thing worries me more than how the team finishes in 2018.  I never really get any kind of idea of just what in the heck the front office is trying to do.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

The tougher part for me to make sense of right now is what exactly the front office's plan is for the Alex Smith era itself.  We all know he is not the long term answer, but does the team have a plan laid out for a franchise QB, and whether or not they intend to draft young skill position players for that QB so they will be hitting their 2nd and 3rd seasons when Alex Smith hands over the reigns.

This kind of thing worries me more than how the team finishes in 2018.  I never really get any kind of idea of just what in the heck the front office is trying to do.

Our plan is continue to get between 6 and 9 wins every year, never improve with good enough draft picks, and drive me personally insane. That is our plan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I was hoping the redskins plan was to draft a QB this past draft or someone the next draft so he can sit 1 year behind Alex like Mahomes.  I feel like any QB that sits his first year often becomes a baller. 

44 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Our plan is continue to get between 6 and 9 wins every year, never improve with good enough draft picks, and drive me personally insane. That is our plan. 

Like i keep saying, we keep trying to remodel a house with ****ty foundation.  Danny Boy needs to realize he needs to blow it up and start fresh and thats gonna require a couple of 3-13 or 4-12 seasons.  

50 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Well if that is the plan we have the best front office in football because they are executing it perfectly.  I get sick watching Doctson play, he is just such a..... bum.  

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Like i keep saying, we keep trying to remodel a house with ****ty foundation.  Danny Boy needs to realize he needs to blow it up and start fresh and thats gonna require a couple of 3-13 or 4-12 seasons.  

I think he already knew that.  And unfortunately, what we're looking at is the result of doing exactly that the last few years.  The problem is, we've also done a ****ty job with the rebuild as well.

Hail.

Ugh.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Trade Doctson, bring in Gordon...

Gordon is someone you have to account for on defense

.... runs away

I am not ready to give up on or "trade" Doctson just yet. Plus, you want to trade a player when he actually has value. Admittedly, he does not, at this point--aside from being a former first round draft pick.

If you rolled Doctson (hands and leaping ability), Crowder (quickness and separation) and Richardson (deep speed and ball-tracking ability) together you'd have Josh Gordon...that is when he is on the field and not smoking blunts behind the team bus.

Edited by Wyndorf25

10 hours ago, Burgold said:

I was thinking about this. At one point receiver was a major strength. Then, they let both their receivers go in exchange for question marks (Pryor and Doctson). Likewise, we had one of the better secondaries and in the same offseason let Bree and Fuller go, turning that secondary strength into a question mark. Now, so far the secondary is kind of holding up, but this team has had strengths and they just toss 'em away.

The 2018 receiving corp (I include tight ends and running backs since they are used so extensively as receivers) could still be worth something, but overall, it's still at best a question mark.

I agree 100 percent positions of strength on the team have been tossed out the window by our front office I include Cousins in this situation as well...I think it’s time for me to face reality this team is in the business of churning out cash as opposed to building a competitive team and staff that can win football games it has never been about the fans or the game itself