Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

27 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Or not.

Let's say you bring Golden Tate in. You're going to have to beat Philly's 3rd rounder to get him. So, you're either looking at multiple picks, or a 2nd rounder. That's really high, IMO for a 30 year old WR that is at this point a 9 game rental. And for what? Are we a team that has aspirations for the SB? Realistically?

Probably not.

And we've given up a bunch for that. And, if you want to keep him, how much do you throw at a 30 year old receiver?

Now, let;s get to the actual "play" part.

From what we're seeing, it's not the WR's that are not getting open, it's that Alex is not either seeing them, or not throwing them the ball. Is a brand new guy going to change that?

Doubtful.

Everyone that is saying that Alex will get better has mostly been relying on Alex getting "more comfortable" with the WR's. So, bring a guy that has not had a off season, TC, Pre season, or 7 NFL games with, is all of a sudden going to help with that?

Yeah, right. I don't see that happening.

And then, I don't think that outside of completion %, Alex is going to really improve all that much, because he's actually playing pretty good for what his history shows us. He's not all of a sudden, playing 20% below average, he's actually playing close to average or above except for completion %. So throw a large investment to get small results just does not make sense to me.

I hope you're right, honestly and I'm praying it doesn't bite us.  There's valid points on both sides of the conversation (imho).  I just fear we could have gotten better and we didnt... whether it be Tate or any other potential offensive weapon.  

Edited by OVCChairman

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I hope you're right, honestly and I'm praying it doesn't bite us.  There's valid points on both sides of the conversation (imho).  I just fear we could have gotten better and we didnt... whether it be Tate or any other potential offensive weapon.  

Just so you know, I'm not debating you that if Tate comes here, that he's not the best WR we have. I think he would be. I just don't think the investment would match the returns, because I don't think the primary issue is at WR.

To put in another way, I don't think that bringing in Megatron would help Heath Shuler all that much. An overstatement, yes, but the same line of thinking I'm on. If you really want to fix a issue, you attack the issue, not the surround parts.

With Alex, I don't think a WR will improve his play as much as Alex getting better. I think some of this is on Jay too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Just so you know, I'm not debating you that if Tate comes here, that he's not the best WR we have. I think he would be. I just don't think the investment would match the returns, because I don't think the primary issue is at WR.

To put in another way, I don't think that bringing in Megatron would help Heath Shuler all that much. An overstatement, yes, but the same line of thinking I'm on. If you really want to fix a issue, you attack the issue, not the surround parts.

With Alex, I don't think a WR will improve his play as much as Alex getting better. I think some of this is on Jay too.

I get that

• Like 1

Always felt that Tate was grossly overrated as a collegiate (largely because of where he played), and I don't think he's shown enough in the pros to warrant any team thinking that he is going to be a difference or change-maker on offense for them. I'm glad we didn't make any kind of move for him. I was surprised the Eagles did so.

It says something that Detroit traded him.

Oh and this nugget has me wondering if we should have targeted DJax....

Copeland at the Post Tweeted:

Jay Gruden said Paul Richardson might have to have his shoulder looked at after the season. #redskins

Well that's just ****ing wonderful. I think that is code for he will, or should, now.

Edited by RandyHolt

29 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It says something that Detroit traded him.

Oh and this nugget has me wondering if we should have targeted DJax....

Copeland at the Post Tweeted:

Jay Gruden said Paul Richardson might have to have his shoulder looked at after the season. #redskins

Well that's just ****ing wonderful. I think that is code for he will, or should, now.

Honestly, as long as he makes it through the season and contributes, I could give a ****.

Crowder has had a disappointing season. When he wasn't injured he wasn't getting open (or Smith didn't find him). I envisioned him running lots of intermediate routes over the middle and catching tons of balls before the season started. He's a fast guy when he's healthy. 

It will be interesting to see what we do at receiver in the offseason. Crowder's tanking it big time this season which might make him more affordable.

Not sure there will be much on the market to go at. Quite keen to see how Devin Funchess finishes off the season for the Panthers. I'd consider him as an option via FA if he hits the market.

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Crowder has had a disappointing season. When he wasn't injured he wasn't getting open (or Smith didn't find him). I envisioned him running lots of intermediate routes over the middle and catching tons of balls before the season started. He's a fast guy when he's healthy. 

Crowder has been somewhat disappointing since the 2016 season. That year he looked to be on the verge of becoming elite and one of the premier slot receivers in the NFL. Since then he just hasn't taken off like I hoped and has seemed to regress. I'm sure there are multiple reasons for it, but still disappointing. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 1:51 PM, abdcskins said:

Not saying this about crowder at this point, but for me, both factual and emotional based, the legitimately promising redskin that just continues to promise and you just keep waiting for the big payoff that never comes is a list too long and too present over the last couple decades. Shouldn't be a shocker that many don't develop here as well as they might elsewhere given the organization's overall incompetency since Snyder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Look they are not very good. I think everybody can see that, however you have Smith routinely failing to hit wide open guys and then just lobbing footballs that are wobbling everywhere.

They have no confidence in him. A good QB works to their strengths.

At this point I have no idea how good or bad they actually are because the QB is absolutely stinking the place out.

PRich is out.  That didn't take long, and I figured it wouldn't after hearing Jay talking about a shoulder needing work this offseason. Another kick in the nuts.

Did Mo have his success in the slot yesterday?  I believe Jay said he would work outside with PRich IR'd, but am not sure.  He also said he is not the fastest guy but I think it has become clear he will be the closest thing to a game breaker we have this season. 

I thought it was rather telling that Josh after his TD laid on the ground for a moment, in the pre snow angle position.  Between that and his spin point and taunt on the sidelines, I think we can conclude that he does care.  But those 2 drops will keep him the whipping post for another week.  I think it was 1, as a DB got a hand on the 2nd one but piling on is what we do here.  Falcolns WRs had 2 drops in the first half as well, worse than his 2. I know that any time a WR is hit with a ball in any fashion it should be an automatic catch, but that smith throw sucked; low and behind him on a simple slant.

Crowder has been under performing my expectations for close to 2 years, if not more. Some of that may be injury related, but regardless, it's time to lower expectations on him. He's a 5 for 60 guy closer to 4 for 40 in our offense.

With Crowder out, who is our #3? Quick was inactive so Floyd seems to have passed him on the depth chart. I would like to see one Trey Quinn get work out of the slot.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

So, how many and which teams do have a worse WR corps anyway? 

Tough for me to think of one team.  They had one of the best receiver corps in the league in 2016.   They let both D. Jax and Garcon go.  I asked Scot that fall if one of those guys at least is coming back and he said, yes.  But ultimately, he didn't make the call.  Jay wanted D. Jax back, didn't happen.

I still think that Bruce interview, I believe it was with Finlay, in retrospect was hilarious about yeah we lost production but then citied the yards that Pryor and Quick had in their previous teams and how they got most of the production they lost right back.

I also recall the FO narrative that the beat guys shared which was Crowder was really their best receiver and we'd see that now that Garcon and D. Jax are gone.

To add insult to injury, I hope we don't see D. Jax burn our secondary the way he would here to his former team. 

The Eagles felt undermanned at Wr with a WR crew that IMO was superior to ours.  And they were the ones that shot for the upgrade with Tate who IMO is better than any receiver we have. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2