Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Oh ok, didn't realize you were going by his pro day numbers. My bad. 

Actually I was using both whatever was the fastest time and we still don't have team speed, everyone that has speed is hurt Go Figure????

18 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

How fast was the WR core in Cincy? I figure Green is fast but maybe I'm wrong. 

I'll say that today is the first time all year I've felt like we could be a wr led offense, not TE first, nor RBs first, but looking at Harris and Doctson first. They had 9 receptions on 9 targets with almost 100 yards

18 hours ago, dckey said:

Fastest time ever John Ross 4.22

AJ Green 4.48

Tyler Boyd 4.5

I think Thinking Skins was talking about Cincy's receivers when Gruden was there, as a comparison between his own 2 teams.

Am I right, Thinker ?

Hopefully we get some speed back, if Quinn returns this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Famous last words.  He wasnt Mr. Irrelevant by accident.

I think we forget how highly we thought of Crowder just a couple years ago.  

I don't, ive defended him as hard as i could, harder then he defended himself in a contract year.  It's over, if Quinn is on the field and Crowder can't, Quinn is better.

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Famous last words.  He wasnt Mr. Irrelevant by accident.

I think we forget how highly we thought of Crowder just a couple years ago.  

What about Doctson?

Where you are picked doesn't mean anything. It's how you produce once you get on the field.

52 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think Thinking Skins was talking about Cincy's receivers when Gruden was there, as a comparison between his own 2 teams.

Am I right, Thinker ?

He was even faster then with all running under 4.7

Green

Sanu

Andrew Hawkins

Marvin Jones

50 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Agreed, Quinn can't be worse and will be cheaper.

Craig Hoffman likes to say the coaching staff say Quinn is a really good blocker.  Cooley likes to say Crowder isn't a good blocker.  I think for a run dependent team run blocking from WRs is helpful. 

I am liking what I am seeing of late from Doctson.  Some nice catches.  He also is developing into a good blocker.  He's not looking like a #1 WR but he also to me is looking to me far from a bust. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't, ive defended him as hard as i could, harder then he defended himself in a contract year.  It's over, if Quinn is on the field and Crowder can't, Quinn is better.

Just getting on the field has been a bit of a challenge for Mr. Quinn, wouldn't you say?  Crowder has missed a few games, but he hasnt been on IR all year either.  I dont know if we need to be putting our faith in Quinn's durability just yet.

Edited by justice98

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Just getting on the field has been a bit of a challenge for Mr. Quinn, wouldn't you say?  Crowder has missed a few games, but he hasnt been on IR all year either.  I dont know if we need to be putting our faith in his durability just yet.

Fair, though i couldn't see Quinn missing games in college due to injury, either.  Believe you can only out two people on IR with intent of return, so team has been putting faith in Crowder to recover and he hasn't.  My comment wasn't insinuate either has a good or bad injury history, just we need bodies and this was the worst possible year for Crowder to have a season like this.  Jus after a couple games felt Quinn was better returner, it was inevitable.

Jay was right in saying our WRs involvement in the passing game will improve.  He just neglected to tell us it would be Maurice Harris as the one to really break out.

Josh is back to his 2017 form, the big difference there was more Alex targeting him, and play calling.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Jay was right in saying our WRs involvement in the passing game will improve.  He just neglected to tell us it would be Maurice Harris as the one to really break out.

Josh is back to his 2017 form, the big difference there was more Alex targeting him, and play calling.

I said it before - most recently to @Morneblade about the need for a ‘chain mover’ - I think Harris is a good fit in this regard.  He’s not a YAC guy (lacks speed and elusiveness), but he runs very good routes, has a nice catch radius and excellent hands.  Glad to see him finally getting more involved.  I believe he makes a fine number 2, especially with a more dynamic receiver opposite him.  We don’t have that, but with our TEs, backs and Quinn/Crowder in the slot, I think he can continue to ‘shine’.  

My one caveat is I don’t know whether he can get off press consistently.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I said it before - most recently to @Morneblade about the need for a ‘chain mover’ - I think Harris is a good fit in this regard.  He’s not a YAC guy (lacks speed and elusiveness), but he runs very good routes, has a nice catch radius and excellent hands.  Glad to see him finally getting more involved.  I believe he makes a fine number 2, especially with a more dynamic receiver opposite him.  We don’t have that, but with our TEs, backs and Quinn/Crowder in the slot, I think he can continue to ‘shine’.  

My one caveat is I don’t know whether he can get off press consistently.  

I like Mo too. I've liked him since we drafted him and always though we should have used him more. I like that we finally are.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Dotson has had a few games now where he is beginning to consistently contribute.  I think you said it best as he may never be a #1. But perhaps he can be a solid #3.

Crowder is the solid #3 (when we actually have a 1 and 2, that is).  If Doctson's not gonna play like a 1 or 2, he kinda doesnt have a role going forward.

Edited by justice98

15 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Dotson has had a few games now where he is beginning to consistently contribute.  I think you said it best as he may never be a #1. But perhaps he can be a solid #3.

who knows but I can see better than a #3 if he keeps playing like this.  Not sure abut a #1 but maybe a #2.  His QB doesn't fling the ball around so 50 yards or so a game I think is relatively good.  He's making some nice catches.  As to the tweet below, he has a point but a WR in his 2nd season of starting isn't a late bloomer -- many WRs tend to take more time to develop.  Doctson looks to be playing with confidence and playing with some attitude, too.  and like I said i like that he's developing into a good run blocker, too.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

That's a good point and considering he missed his rookie year this isn't to shabby. So.. offensively what do we need? On paper we have a pass catching TE and two bigger Wrs in MO and DOC. Richardson provides speed and appears to get open deep. I don't care much for Crowder and that is mainly because he hasent been available. Do we need another talented WR in the draft? Maybe a shifty..speed guy.

12 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

That's a good point and considering he missed his rookie year this isn't to shabby. So.. offensively what do we need? On paper we have a pass catching TE and two bigger Wrs in MO and DOC. Richardson provides speed and appears to get open deep. I don't care much for Crowder and that is mainly because he hasent been available. Do we need another talented WR in the draft? Maybe a shifty..speed guy.

To me they need a true #1 or a burner that freaks out a defense.  I think Harris-Doctson-Richardson-Quinn-Sims in whatever configuration moving forward could fill the #2 and #3 spot.  But I think they desperately either need a #1 or just an absolute burner with speed that scares a defense.  I've been pushing for Marquise Brown on the draft thread -- he's not a traditional #1 but can be a Desean Jackson-Tyreek Hill type.

18 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Sure.

Right now, we don't have that threat. I was never that impressed with Richardson, so I don't think he was ever going to fill that need. I still don't. So, in that way of thinking, this is what I would like to see happen, best case scenario.

From what I have heard coming out of camp, the issue with Doctson was "footsteps". I'd like for him to get over that, completely. If he does that, and get a bit more physical in his play, I think he could be a decent #1 for us. Kinda like a Alshon Jeffery/Mike Evans kind of player. Be a big presence that can make tough catches, move the sticks, make a tough 50/50 grab down the field and be a red zone threat. Remember, best case scenario here.

Harris is basically the same guy, with less pure talent, and maybe more confidence right now. He doesn't seem to hear the "steps". I'd like to see Mo get stronger and be a more physical player, and be a guy that breaks more tackles than he does right now. Outside of that, Mo can be Mo.

Then, I think we need a small, quick speed demon. CB's are getting bigger, to go up against guys like Mo and Josh. Tyreek Hill is the last guy they want to cover. I'm not sure if there is anyone in college that fits that bill, I'm sure our draft gurus could identify a couple dudes that would fit that bill.

And @Skinsinparadise delivers!

Edited by Morneblade

The dude is ironically Antonio Brown's cousin.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-is-oklahomas-marquise-brown-the-next-tavon-austin-or-tyreek-hill/

Every NFL team is looking for the next Tyreek Hill

The Kansas City Chiefs electric wideout has 12 plays from scrimmage of 40 or more yards since the start of last year, the most in the NFL

During that time period, when @cheetah has gone from fun gadget player to legitimate NFL superstar, Hill has averaged 10.95 yards per target, the highest figure in the NFL among receivers with at least 100 targets. 

Big play waiting to happen? Yeah, that's Hill. 

The next best thing to Hill is Brandin Cooks, who's inexplicably on his third team in three years despite currently being second to Hill in both of those categories -- 40-plus yard plays (10) and yards per target (10.45) since the start of 2017. 

After a triumphant run for large receivers at the pro level, the NFL is becoming a small pass-catcher league. From 2013 to 2015, seven of the top 10 receiving touchdown leaders were 6-foot-2 or taller. Since the start of 2016, that's been flipped on its head, as seven of the 10 leaders in receiving scores are 6-1 or shorter. Hill and Cooks trail only Antonio Brown in receiving touchdowns among those shorter than 6-0 in that span.

Oklahoma's Marquise Brown is college football's version of Hill or Cooks. He's turned 52 targets into 716 yards, which equates to a yards-per-target figure of 13.77, currently the second-highest in the nation, per Sports Info Solutions. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1