Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I am probably the only one but I give Josh a pass for his 2nd "drop" when the Atlanta DB swatted the ball out of his hands milliseconds? after the ball hit him.  DBs get paid too you know.  And the first - that Smith pass sucked ass. I am sure I am not the only one that saw Beckham drop 1 last night, that was neither low and behind him, nor did a DB swat it out of his hands. That was a clean drop.  I always thought that it was shortsighted to pin a drop on a WR running at full speed who manages to barely reach back and get a hand on it, saying that anytime it hits a WR, he has to catch it.

We may need to one day more clearly define a drop, and pin some of those on the QB or credit a DB for a PD. Do we want accurate stats or not.  Use stats, that was 50% on Doctson, 50% on Smith for an off target throw of just 5 yards.

3rd down drops for the Skins WRs this year?  Zero point Zero.

Animal_House-Midterm_grades_-_YouTube.jp

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

A thought on our pass catchers this year. Jordan Reed has been healthy but is production is not what it used to be. It also seems like we keep his routes much closer to the line of scrimmage as opposed to in years past he would be good for 3 or 4 chunk plays of 15-20 yards. Is this more scheme or should be look to draft a replacement...maybe a guy like Irv Smith jr?

I heard on 980 radio today they may bring two receivers back from Injured Reserve and that they both might start this Sunday.  If Cooley is right this might really be shocking to fans of this team.  If at least one of these two guys performs well we might be able to see some real progress in the passing game.  Who know what is going on with Jordan Reed.  Hope he can survive playing in all 16 games this year.  Alex seems to favor Davis over Reed since he had Davis with him on the 49ers.

4 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I heard on 980 radio today they may bring two receivers back from Injured Reserve and that they both might start this Sunday.  If Cooley is right this might really be shocking to fans of this team.  If at least one of these two guys performs well we might be able to see some real progress in the passing game.  Who know what is going on with Jordan Reed.  Hope he can survive playing in all 16 games this year.  Alex seems to favor Davis over Reed since he had Davis with him on the 49ers.

So Quinn, and possibly Cam Simms? Or Quinn and Crowder? 

Crowder coming back should help. It can't hurt.

I like the way Doctson and Harris are developing. As a frame of reference, Harris' reception and yardage numbers are almost identical to Ryan Grant's 2017 pace. I'd like to see him score, but I think I've seen enough to think he will be an equal to or better replacement for Grant.  

If Doctson can continue his upward trajectory, he will be a legitimate #2.  

Edited by Stadium-Armory

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

They can’t bring back two they only have one player left they can bring back  I’m assuming trey quinn

I think the potential of Quinn has many of us excited, I know it does me. Visions of a Julian Edelman/Cole Beasley type player giving Smith a quick slant option with scary YAC is a missing dynamic. Crowder is a FA next year, and it would be nice to have enough film to see if we can reasonably save some cap room by allowing Crowder to go. Crowder has had some up and down years, and seems like the injury bug is also entering into the picture.(said as Quinn is coming off of IR himself lol.)  I root for all of our players to thrive, but especially so for the late round picks who show potential. Go get'em Mr. Irrelevant 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Crowder coming back should help. It can't hurt.

I like the way Doctson and Harris are developing. As a frame of reference, Harris' reception and yardage numbers are almost identical to Ryan Grant's 2017 pace. I'd like to see him score, but I think I've seen enough to think he will be an equal to or better replacement for Grant.  

If Doctson can continue his upward trajectory, he will be a legitimate #2.  

I live Harris more than I do Doctson.Harris runs his routes better and seems like he knows were hes at on the field.Doctson yes its good to see him improving but it looks like he is still uncomfortable out there for some reason.

• Like 1

I was thinking about Gruden wanting/trying to use Doctson, Harris, Crowder and Quinn (not to mention both, or even all 3 TEs).  I think I’d favor Doctson subbing out on 3rd downs.  Instead I’d play the guys that run more precise routes to move the chains.  

Another interesting thing (IMO) is that Crowder probably doesn’t block as well as those other 3, nor does he have the hands they do (case could be made against Doctson, but...).  On top of that, Crowder’s in a contract year, so the team really needs to give Quinn a chance at reps to see if they have Crowder’s replacement on hand.  Of course there’s also the idea that Harris has had success in the slot - more so in converting than YAC - so do you mess with that?

Lot of questions to be answered... even though I only actually posed one, lol.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

They can’t bring back two they only have one player left they can bring back  I’m assuming trey quinn

I don't think we've activated Marshall yet.... as one of the other folks on her pointed out, I don't believe anybody has been officially activated off IR.  

19 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Who was the first they brought back from IR? From what I am seeing Quinn would be the first. I think they still have two, one if they activated Quinn.  

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Quinn officially activated off IR today. Maybe he starts Sunday and can help out the passing game?

Quinn starting immediately is unlikely. He was the last pick in the entire draft and he's played a whole 4 preseason games. He needs more than that to be automatically penciled in as a starter.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Quinn starting immediately is unlikely. He was the last pick in the entire draft and he's played a whole 4 preseason games. He needs more than that to be automatically penciled in as a starter.

I could see him and Mo splitting some time in the slot. (75% Mo)

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Well yeah, i didn’t mean start as in like WR1 or WR2. I meant like playing in the game on Sunday (which i think Gruden has even been saying could happen). 

Plus he did play in week 1 against the cardinals (up until he got injured) didn’t he? At least on special teams? 

Since we saw Quinn on the field in week 1, i predict he will get a lot more snaps then we are used to our #5s and rookie WRs getting.

Seriously, over the years, our young WRs never get snaps, or at least a significant number. Rookie WR snaps late in the year, maybe.... week 1 says alot about Quinn.

I predict 4 targets 3 for 32 including some YACITY YAC.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1