Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

2 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Still don't know why we did that.  So who do we cut now?  Perine?  Do we put Thompson on IR when we're in the playoff race?

Seems like such poor timing to bring back a RB.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Still don't know why we did that.  So who do we cut now?  Perine?  Do we put Thompson on IR when we're in the playoff race?

Perine is so useless to this team anymore, I’d be fine cutting him and having Marshall take his place 

21 hours ago, WVSkinsfan said:

I live Harris more than I do Doctson.Harris runs his routes better and seems like he knows were hes at on the field.Doctson yes its good to see him improving but it looks like he is still uncomfortable out there for some reason.

I like Harris' pass catching ability but he's behind Doctson for a reason.  Harris hits the ground to fast and hasn't developed any YAC ability.  Doctson is progressing as he's playing more aggressively as of late and getting some YAC.  This might be a situation where Harris learns faster from Doctson's progress, hopefully.  Both these young WR's need to play with more aggression and confidence.  The baby steps being made need to make a distinct move to the upside. 

21 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Crowder is a FA next year, and it would be nice to have enough film to see if we can reasonably save some cap room by allowing Crowder to go. Crowder has had some up and down years, and seems like the injury bug is also entering into the picture.

Crowder hasn't been able to stay on the field for years now.  He's not going to get a significant FA contract.  Typically your first team is the one that drafted you and loves your potential the most.  As a FA, they evaluate your history and set a value on it.  Who's going to pay a WR who plays on average half the season?! It's not going to cost much to keep Crowder in the slot.  If he leaves then you're not losing anything when he's only on the field half the time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:
2 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

It's possible that Thompson doesn't make it back.  You've got to cover the roster spots for RB's.  If you get a couple of RB's dinged up, you can't trade for one at this point.  This is a logical move for security at the position.  I don't think it's a vote towards Marshall's future with the Skins but more of about covering the bases.  Perine knows the offense and isn't going to go anywhere until after the season is over.  Perine has the ability to carry the ball 15 times a game and give you a resemblance of a running game.  When he doesn't play teams and doesn't have the talent to be your primary RB, then he's a security blanket as that happens inside a season.  It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year as AP obviously brings a dimension to the offense and depending on how Guice recovers and develops, they're likely resigning AP.  You'll have Thompson and Bibbs, AP and Guice ideally and without using any draft picks.  Bonus! 

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Crowder hasn't been able to stay on the field for years now.  He's not going to get a significant FA contract.  Typically your first team is the one that drafted you and loves your potential the most.  As a FA, they evaluate your history and set a value on it.  Who's going to pay a WR who plays on average half the season?! It's not going to cost much to keep Crowder in the slot.  If he leaves then you're not losing anything when he's only on the field half the time.

IF Crowder is re-signed, he will cost a lot more than a late round (last pick) slot receiver on his rookie contract. I'm not sure why this point is being argued. Yes, I agree that Crowders up and down production may get him a luke warm reception in Free Agency, and if Quinn shows that he can replace that up and down production/health than the Skins should be equally lukewarm on giving him a roster spot and money.

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Perine is so useless to this team anymore, I’d be fine cutting him and having Marshall take his place 

Who is APs backup in that scenario? IIRC Kelly is on IR himself.   Who is our goal line back, Anderson, or Harris?  I don't think Bibbs Marshall nor CT are build to lug the mail 20 times a game for a few months.  They are more hands guys, fitting being here in the WR thread.  Sure maybe we can get a guy off the street but then run a presumed higher risk of a blown assignment in pass pro. Jay may want a game day backup for AP on any given week and at a moments notice, which mandates having APs backup on the roster. That is Sam Perine.

Edited by RandyHolt

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Who is APs backup in that scenario? IIRC Kelly is on IR himself.   Who is our goal line back, Anderson, or Harris?  I don't think Bibbs Marshall nor CT are build to lug the mail 20 times a game for a few months.  They are more hands guys, fitting being here in the WR thread.  Sure maybe we can get a guy off the street but then run a presumed higher risk of a blown assignment in pass pro. Jay may want a game day backup for AP on any given week and at a moments notice, which mandates having APs backup on the roster. That is Sam Perine.

Marshall is 220. He's a different kind of back, but he's not small. Honestly, if something happens to Peterson, it's running back by committee. And Perine fumbles too much to get the ball 20+ times a game. That, and well...................he's just not very good. He's a big, strong guy that goes down easy. It's seems like a oxymoron, but that is what he is. He's not real quick or fast, so power is what was supposed to set him apart. But he doesn't run like it.

55 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Marshall is 220. He's a different kind of back, but he's not small. Honestly, if something happens to Peterson, it's running back by committee. And Perine fumbles too much to get the ball 20+ times a game. That, and well...................he's just not very good. He's a big, strong guy that goes down easy. It's seems like a oxymoron, but that is what he is. He's not real quick or fast, so power is what was supposed to set him apart. But he doesn't run like it.

I remember now, Jay mentioning something about him being HEAVIER than expected.  Still, I am not sure he is an all down back with just 1 1000 yard season in college.  I consider him a hands back.

I will theorize that Jay does not like by committee unless its proven needed. Let's worry about Perine fumbling this year, after he has one. I am sure Marshall has some limitations in his game as well, otherwise we'd have never had gotten him.

Back to Perine, I still think it was short sighted to not use him to his strengths last year, and run him out of the formations that had us enamored with him in the first place.  Let him find his footing, and then force him into Jay's preferred formations.  About his fumbles, CT had 3 in 105 touches last year. Yeah, he's no CT. He is a big but not overly physical back, still finding his way in this league. Jay used him as a bruiser, but that was not what he was used to being. He was used to running through wide open holes and first contact was at full speed.

I have a little theory. He is learning more from watching AP than he learned in all of college. I am not ready to give up just yet.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I remember now, Jay mentioning something about him being HEAVIER than expected.  Still, I am not sure he is an all down back with just 1 1000 yard season in college.  I consider him a hands back.

That's because he was a WR too, and that is where he started his career at Oregon.

I will theorize that Jay does not like by committee unless its proven needed. Let's worry about Perine fumbling this year, after he has one. I am sure Marshall has some limitations in his game as well, otherwise we'd have never had gotten him.

He had one in preseason. I'm not saying Marshal is great, but he plays with speed and quickness.

Back to Perine, I still think it was short sighted to not use him to his strengths last year, and run him out of the formations that had us enamored with him in the first place.  Let him find his footing, and then force him into Jay's preferred formations.  About his fumbles, CT had 3 in 105 touches last year. Yeah, he's no CT. He is a big but not overly physical back, still finding his way in this league. Jay used him as a bruiser, but that was not what he was used to being. He was used to running through wide open holes and first contact was at full speed.

I have a little theory. He is learning more from watching AP than he learned in all of college. I am not ready to give up just yet.

Well, the one thing he could really learn from AP is running with a mean streak. Perine is so passive. AP wants to kill people. Perine needs to run mean if he's really going to get any better. But, like Doctson, I don't think he's ever going to play like that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I still believe Perine will contribute to our playoff run, if it happens.

Kid has real talent.

I think he has decent hands and using him in the passing game allows him to do some truckin' in the open field.

The thing about the fumbling, it wasn't a problem in college. And younger backs often have fumbling issues. And with fumbling, some of it is just bad luck.  Anderson punching the ball out last week... i thought the back had a good grip on the ball. Heaven forbid if he had a fumble in a game before that, their fanbase would be on tilt.  Perine is probably so freaking strong and suspect he is holding the ball so tight, that its somehow counter productive. Someone jiggles his elbow or he lands on his elbow, and the ball flies through the uprights. Who knows.  I worry about fumbling from all players, including TEs running down the field and a DB catching up, every single time.

Its not just our WRs clobbered by injuries, our backs have been as well. We hold Perine and ignore requests to jettison him without a guy that fumbles less at the ready with knowledge of the playbook. FWIW he has looked good in his 5 touches this year. Damn good!

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

I think Perine’s biggest issues are fumbles, comfort in the system and getting tripped up.  The first two are (theoretically) fixable.  Maybe vision is an issue as well, though I’d like to see him with a workload, after learning the system for a year + before landing there.  Especially given the number of times he picked up more yards than I expected on given plays last year.  He would be surrounded by guys and then squeeze out the other side for a few more yards.  Of course, one of those guys would usually trip him up, so he wasn’t breaking big runs, but rather turning 2 into 6, or 5 into 10 (or whatever).  I believe it’s not so much Perine goes down easily, but that his forward lean makes it harder to keep his footing if someone gets a hand on his feet/legs. 

System-wise, the tough part part about our run game is how multiple it is.  You need to be patient on some runs and decisive/quick to the hole on others.  This stresses defenses, but I think it also generally makes it a bit tougher for a back to get comfortable in the scheme.  To be more exact, it makes it tougher for a back that is used to running pure zone (like Perine), or pure man/power.  I don’t know if that changes when we bring in oline street FAs, because I have to assume it’s tough (or even tougher) on them as well.  I thought Perine showed some improvement on this front last year.  He picked up some 8-12 yarders by exploding through the hole later in the year, which was refreshing to see.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Remember with IR, once a team elects to have a player start practicing, they can do so for two weeks before they have to decide whether to bring them off IR or shut them down for the year.

I think it's three.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/01/washington-designates-running-back-byron-marshall-to-return-from-injured-reserve/

Marshall can practice for up to three weeks before Washington would need to add him to their active roster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Noone has officially been activated from IR, have they ?

I'm just hearing about them designated to return to practice, or "planing to activate", but nothing is official yet, is it

I think they've actually officially activated Marshall and Quinn

see above article and...

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

That kinda surprises me, to use both at one time. So now, for the rest of the year, they can't re-activate anyone else from IR.

They must feel due to the nature of injuries, that no-one else has a chance of recovering in time, and/or the players are not

crucial enough to the team's plans, to use one of the 2 allowed designations on them.

• Like 1

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

That kinda surprises me, to use both at one time. So now, for the rest of the year, they can't re-activate anyone else from IR.

They must feel due to the nature of injuries, that no-one else has a chance of recovering in time, and/or the players are not

crucial enough to the team's plans, to use one of the 2 allowed designations on them.

I don't think anyone else of merit would qualify (although part of me wishes we brought Sims back).  It's week 11, so if anyone were to get injured now to the extent that they be put on IR, they likely wouldn't be eligible to return til the postseason... if the rules even carry over to the post season, and its doubtful they would be recovered enough to actually have an impact. 

I can't find a detailed IR list to save my life right now

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Arie Kouandjio

Cam Sims

Derrius Guice

Geron Christian Sr.

Troy Apke

Paul Richardson Jr.

Byron Marshall

Shawn Lauvao

Rob Kelley

Robert Davis

Brandon Scherff

Tyler Catalina

Manasseh Garner

Show me that list in August and tell me the Redskins would be 6-3 and I would have laughed in your face. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

see above article and...

I think they’ve started practicing them, meaning they have 3 weeks to practice without counting against the 53 before Redskins have to activate to 53 or shut them down for the year. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I think they’ve started practicing them, meaning they have 3 weeks to practice without counting against the 53 before Redskins have to activate to 53 or shut them down for the year. 

According to that tweet, Holder to the PS ?

I assume he means Holsey ?

I don't know of a Holder on the Skins, except for the placekick holder, but we're definitely not putting Tress Way on the PS

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Arie Kouandjio

Cam Sims

Derrius Guice

Geron Christian Sr.

Troy Apke

Paul Richardson Jr.

Byron Marshall

Shawn Lauvao

Rob Kelley

Robert Davis

Brandon Scherff

Tyler Catalina

Manasseh Garner

I must have missed something. What happened to Geron Christian?