Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

If there's one thing we know by now it's that the Pats are an anomaly. It's the one place where basically any WR can be a star. But how many WRs come out of NE and are stars elsewhere? This doesn't mean Harris is an amazing WR, it means that Brady is the GOAT, they have a really good and flexible offensive system, and Harris happens to mesh somewhat well with both. I think wringing our hands over letting him go due to him doing well in NE is misplaced. It doesn't mean anything as far as what he'd likely be able to do here. Brandon Lloyd even looked good with Brady throwing to him. 

Lloyd made the Pro Bowl with Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow throwing him the ball though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Good point on Lloyd. If Mo ends up with 100 catches though, heads will explode.

I cannot be the only one that thought he was going to produce much more than he did here. He did have a mini breakout last year, which went fully unacknowledged of course, as we were mired in our misery. 

He had that Odell Beckham grade one handed catch 2 years ago, and then vanished the rest of the season.  I heard someone say he was slow at some point, which i figured was the problem. But watching him on the field, seemed decent WRT to his size.

If he explodes, he may be the first WR in modern history to do so - who logged less than 20 (maybe it was 25 or 30?) catches in his first 2 years combined. I heard that stat mentioned during XM Fantasy chatter a year ago, and no one has found a bonafide WR whose stats discredit it.

I thought he could be a 50 catch/700 yard guy if given the opportunity.  I think early in his career, he never really got opportunities.  Then last year, nobody was gonna produce with Smith and the three headed monster of scrubs at QB.  That happened to be when he got the most snaps. 

But regardless, if you throw him the ball, he generally catches it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Even though he's a one-trick pony, I'm still gonna miss Josh's one trick.

I mean, noone else on the team can do that trick as well, can they ?

You mean the trick where he jumps out of the stadium, makes the catch, and then loses it when he hits the ground?

I would like to see Doctson make it, but he has stiff competition. PRich, Quinn, McLaurin are locks. Cam Sims, Robert Davis, and Kelvin Harmon are all having themselves a camp...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You mean the trick where he jumps out of the stadium, makes the catch, and then loses it when he hits the ground?

I would like to see Doctson make it, but he has stiff competition. PRich, Quinn, McLaurin are locks. Cam Sims, Robert Davis, and Kelvin Harmon are all having themselves a camp...

To be honest I would cut him.  Keep Quinn, Rich, McLaurin, Sims, and possibly Harmon.  

If Harmon doesn’t seem to be up to the task, then you keep Doctson.

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Sims and Davis have done nothing in the NFL besides be injured. Harmon is a late round rookie. None of us think Doctson has lived up to his potential and where he was drafted but he has actually produced in the league. I see almost zero chance that Sims, Davis, Quick, or Harmon beat him out for a position. The locks IMO right now are PRich, Doctson, Quinn, McLaurin. Simms is a "very likely" for me. So that leaves 1 spot open for Davis, Quick, and Harmon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The anointing of McLaurin and Harmon is already driving me crazy. Harmon was a 6th round pick for goodness sakes. Him playing in more than 3 games this year would be an accomplishment in of itself 

McLaurin I can see because it's been talked about so much how good he looks in camp, how polished his routes are, how much of a leader he is, etc. He's also a special teams ace. I've heard Harmon's name here and there but nothing "whoa"; I'm guessing he will be a PS guy, but he could beat out Davis I suppose. I agree with @Voice_of_Reason...Quick is as good as gone most likely. I think the Sims, Davis, Harmon thing will shake out in preseason but it's always possible that a dark horse candidate balls out and introduces a new element. Zero chance that Doctson doesn't make it. He's cheap this year and in his decent season he had as many TDs as PRich did in HIS best season. It would be bizarre to let a guy like that go in favor of one of 3 guys who have literally done zero in the league. 

Wouldn't it be such classic Redskins though if Doctson balls out this year, has 1,000 + yards, 12 + TDs and then we can't afford to keep him?  :ols:

Edited by mistertim

9 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The anointing of McLaurin and Harmon is already driving me crazy. Harmon was a 6th round pick for goodness sakes. Him playing in more than 3 games this year would be an accomplishment in of itself 

You're not wrong, but I think it's more going on prohecting based what people are seeing vs projecting on what their draft position was. 

We shouldnt really anoint people early in camp whether they're a 1st rd pick or 6th.  Sitting patiently waiting for it all to play out isnt what we do.  lol  I mean, taking the temperature of a player after every single practice really isn't a good idea either.  

Edited by justice98

9 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Come on, you're not new to ES... it's the offseason, this is how it goes. Kidding, I don't think anyone's anointing players after a week of camp, but when someone stands out, especially a rookie, it'll be talked about. 

20 hours ago, Vanguard said:

To be honest I would cut him.  Keep Quinn, Rich, McLaurin, Sims, and possibly Harmon.  

If Harmon doesn’t seem to be up to the task, then you keep Doctson.

Cutting Doctson would be the most idiotic thing ever.  He has a modest contract and still has a ton of potential.  Your team needs more than 5 wide receivers anyways.  So you just cut him because you personally don't like him?  Most teams carry anywhere from 6 to 7 wide receivers and we absolutely will keep at least 6.

Doctson, Richardson, Quinn, McLaurin, Harmon, Sims, and possibly even Robert Davis.  McLaurin, Harmon, and Davis would absolutely play  Teams and they give you much needed depth in case injuries hit - which for Richardson and Quinn is extremely likely.

Edited by DieHardSkins88
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DieHardSkins88 said:

Cutting Doctson would be the most idiotic thing ever.  He has a modest contract and still has a ton of potential.  Your team needs more than 5 wide receivers anyways.  So you just cut him because you personally don't like him?  Most teams carry anywhere from 6 to 7 wide receivers and we absolutely will keep at least 6.

Doctson, Richardson, Quinn, McLaurin, Harmon, Sims, and possibly even Robert Davis.  McLaurin, Harmon, and Davis would absolutely play  Teams and they give you much needed depth in case injuries hit - which for Richardson and Quinn is extremely likely.

Not because I personally don’t like him.  If we keep six, which we probably will, you’re right, keep him.  But I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get cut.  He’s taking up a spot on the roster from someone else who would try harder.

He’s on thin ice.  We’ll see how much playtime he gets.  If Harmon is giving more effort, Doctson is number six on the depth chart to me.

Edited by Vanguard

I thought talk of cutting Doctson was bananas.  And maybe it is, but The Athletic has a roster projection where they think he gets traded.  They're saying there are 6 WR's playing better than him at Camp so far.

If that's really the case, and he does make the roster...he'd lose out on most of his playing time based on that article.

Bruce bet against Doctson, by not inking him to his 5th year.   Bruce has thus lost faith in him, and is betting he will be available for cheaper than he would have been forced to pay. Or, is ready to let him walk. 

If true, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to theorize he runs risk of getting cut.  Really all it takes is others to shine in camp and viola.  You'd never think Trent would be leaving the team in the middle of his contract but here we are. Baltimore is looking at using 2 rookies at WR - I think starting.  We tried to roll with 2 rookies last year.

LOCKS Richardson Quinn.  Based on draft capital I think McLaurin is close to a lock. Sims made the 53 last year so lets pencil him in. 

That's 4 with Josh.  Quick is more than happy to be a 5 and never play.  That's 5, and that's life without Josh.  Chesson got into games last year and can be a 6/PS.  

The problem I see is slot has no backup, but not that Josh would fill that role. I think we need a backup slot guy. I forgot the name I heard Jay mention was our 2 slot if anyone can recall it. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Bruce bet against Doctson, by not inking him to his 5th year.   Bruce has thus lost faith in him, and is betting he will be available for cheaper than he would have been forced to pay. Or, is ready to let him walk. 

If true, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to theorize he runs risk of getting cut.  Really all it takes is others to shine in camp and viola.  You'd never think Trent would be leaving the team in the middle of his contract but here we are. Baltimore is looking at using 2 rookies at WR - I think starting.  We tried to roll with 2 rookies last year.

LOCKS Richardson Quinn.  Based on draft capital I think McLaurin is close to a lock. Sims make the 53 last year so lets pencil him in. 

That's 4 with Josh.  Quick is more than happy to be a 5 and never play.  That's 5, and that's life without Josh.  Chesson got into games last year and can be a 6/PS.  

The problem I see is slot has no backup, but not that Josh would fill that role. I think we need a backup slot guy. I forgot the name I heard Jay mention was our 2 slot if anyone can recall it. 

I'm hearing things about Robert Davis looking good as well. Not to mention Kelvin Harmon who everyone said was a steal. I'd love for Doctson to get cut honestly, just to send a message to the team. You either perform or you're gone, regardless of draft status. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm hearing things about Robert Davis looking good as well. Not to mention Kelvin Harmon who everyone said was a steal. I'd love for Doctson to get cut honestly, just to send a message to the team. You either perform or you're gone, regardless of draft status. 

Exactly... but I have learned to temper my expectations on raw and young WRs and expect both to be practice squad candidates.

But your point stands, those 2 are talented and up and coming, and are certainly in the running for helping push Josh out the door.  Josh being a first rounder... well Bruce already broke the ice and started the cutting of the ties. He has had the time to develop, that is all I care about with draft capital.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

LOCKS Richardson Quinn.  Based on draft capital I think McLaurin is close to a lock. Sims made the 53 last year so lets pencil him in. 

This still makes no sense to me as far as cutting Doctson. He's one of 2 WRs we have who have actually done anything in the NFL. He's also cheap this year. What exactly do we gain by cutting him? 

I think that if we had 3-4 good WRs who had produced in the league and a couple of rookies who were playing well in camp I could possibly see it, but we have 1 guy with production (PRich), 1 guy with next to none (Quinn), and a bunch of guys who have literally done zero (Davis, Sims, Harmon). Doctson is the only other guy besides PRich who has proven that he actually belongs in the NFL. Quinn showed promise but he only caught 9 balls before being placed on IR.

Cutting Doctson would be bizarre in the extreme. 

• Like 1

Personally from watching camp (granted 5 practices is a small sample) and in Harmon and McLaurin's cases watching multiple college games of theirs before we drafted them -- i am jazzed about those 2 and Sims.  It's not that i think they will go gang busters in their debut seasons -- its tough for rookie WRs to play great out of the gate.  But I think all three have a chance to be a bonafide #2 type receiver eventually even if its not right away this season.  Next year, is looking like the perfect draft to find a #1 type WR.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Are you talking about the other Sims (Steven?) as the backup slot guy? I think he's PS material right now.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Thought I heard Jay say that Kidsy is the backup slot guy.

Which I am still trying to figure out.

I didn't hear the interview. Was just guessing and trying to think of the WR's names. Kidsy could be that guy. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

This still makes no sense to me as far as cutting Doctson. He's one of 2 WRs we have who have actually done anything in the NFL. He's also cheap this year. What exactly do we gain by cutting him? 

I think that if we had 3-4 good WRs who had produced in the league and a couple of rookies who were playing well in camp I could possibly see it, but we have 1 guy with production (PRich), 1 guy with next to none (Quinn), and a bunch of guys who have literally done zero (Davis, Sims, Harmon). Doctson is the only other guy besides PRich who has proven that he actually belongs in the NFL. Quinn showed promise but he only caught 9 balls before being placed on IR.

Cutting Doctson would be bizarre in the extreme. 

No one is proposing cutting him for the sake of it. I am just no longer sure what his long term role is in our org. 

To answer what cutting him does? Allows players that outperformed him in camp to play.   A cheap year means nothing to me, all the kids are cheaper. Maybe just maybe by playing the kids and letting them cut their teeth will make them better players.  I hope we can agree our usual development path of sitting a WR for 2 years has failed miserably.

The things he provides don't strike me as make or break must have this guy:  injury insurance, vet leadership, and ability to jump up and get balls.  Is that enough from a WR1?

16 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

Are you talking about the other Sims (Steven?) as the backup slot guy? I think he's PS material right now.

If it was Sims I would have remembered being confused, as I didn't know we had 2 Sims.

I think its the Kid Kidsy.  

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

I think backup slot is a bit of a slop fest right now.

We kinda know who will be on our roster.  Of the possible 7, which guy will be our backup slot guy?

Has Richardson worked out of the slot?  Maybe McLaurin is being groomed?  Beatniks report in.

You see other teams slot guys dominate, and hopefully Quinn becomes our Wes Welker. But he's hardly been a bastion of durability.  Maybe Kidsy will be on our PS and get the callup from AAA if injury strikes.  But then who is our game day backup...

Edited by RandyHolt