Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Harmon backs up slot and maybe X.   

I've even heard McLaurin as a possible slot. I think I heard he could play any WR position.

But I don't see how Kidsy makes the 53 as a backup slot. Wouldn't make sense to me, like I said, unless we get hit hard with injuries there.

56 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I've even heard McLaurin as a possible slot. I think I heard he could play any WR position.

But I don't see how Kidsy makes the 53 as a backup slot. Wouldn't make sense to me, like I said, unless we get hit hard with injuries there.

OK I don't recall seeing him play slot when I was watching in camp.  But you never know. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK I don't recall seeing him play slot when I was watching in camp.  But you never know. 

Could possibly be due to what I was saying about him being considered for all the positions. Maybe for now, they're just taking a look at him in other positions to get a consistent view of each place, to see which is best. Just an opinion.

20 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could possibly be due to what I was saying about him being considered for all the positions. Maybe for now, they're just taking a look at him in other positions to get a consistent view of each place, to see which is best. Just an opinion.

Ok, makes sense.   I did though see the dude below play some slot along with the playing the outside.  Everything I saw at camp and what I've seen on twitter has given me the impression that Harmon is sneakily having a good camp.  The beat guys for the most part aren't making this point about Harmon but I was almost as impressed with what I saw from Harmon as I was McLaurin. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Here's some confirmation of what I was saying, from a Gruden quote

" Terry's awesome, he's been great. He knows all the spots already. "

Ok thanks, missed that comment.  The 5 practices I watched Terry seemed to be almost exclusively playing on the left side -- X and Z.  And I did see Harmon move inside.  That's what made me think that Harmon might back up at slot and Terry would play X or Z.  But good to know he's ready to play slot, too.   He comes off like a smart dude and clearly is having a good camp. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ok thanks, missed that comment.  The 5 practices I watched Terry seemed to be almost exclusively playing on the left side -- X and Z.  And I did see Harmon move inside.  That's what made me think that Harmon might back up at slot and Terry would play X or Z.  But good to know he's ready to play slot, too.   He comes off like a smart dude and clearly is having a good camp. 

Makes more sense to use Harmon on Digs with his size, ala Dez Bryant in his prime.  Definitely better to have Terry as an X or Z because he runs great routes and can fly!

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I saw an interview with Landon Collins where he was asked who of the receivers (including TEs, RB) was giving them - the defensive secondary - the most trouble (which for the record is a great question - those are getting more and more rare so hats off to the media for asking this one.) 

He said Jordan Reed - no real surprise there other than it sounds like he is the old Jordan Reed, now how long will he stay that way???? - and then he said "the rookie, that #17" (Terry McLaurin). Said he was fast and can get behind you in a hurry but can run other routes and catches everything. Of course this is just off the top of his head - but it says something that of all the people on the field, Terry has his attention. 

• Like 3

It doesn't get much discussion but Reed survived the season, yes despite being injured seemingly the entire year. Turf toe OSS, obviously hindering him to the point he was getting treatment at home all year.  But you know what, receivers often get injured early in their careers, and to us, he is a receiver and hopefully he has put the injury bug behind him now having gained the experience.

If he is healthy for 16 he is poised to explode what with no real #1.  A TE is a QBs best friend. Him at 100% vs on the shelf is going to be a HUGE difference maker for our O. 

He is our WR1 dammit there I said it.

• Like 5

If the backups are lined up to position then:

Doctson versus Sims at X. 

Richardson versus McLaurin versus Harmon at Z.

Quinn basically versus no one at slot.   I'd presume both Harmon and McLaurin then would back up Quinn in the slot.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Quinn basically versus no one at slot.   I'd presume both Harmon and McLaurin then would back up Quinn in the slot.

I'm surprised Richardson isn't in on the slot action.

Wait, where is Robert Davis ?

9 receivers listed and he isn't one of them.

Basically, Kidsey, Quick, and Steven Sims, and all of the rookies are ahead of him ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Thanks 1

I’m liking this group of receivers and I think they can be relatively formidable... particularly when you factor in all of the pass catchers.   Hands, speed, size (and catch radius), and route running... 

We have 2 or 3 very good chain movers in Reed, Thompson and Quinn.      

We have some downfield threats - whether due to speed or size - in McLaurin, Richardson, Sims, Harmon,  Doctson, and Vernon Davis (perhaps Robert Davis).  

The first 4 of these guys (McLaurin, Richardson, Sims, Harmon) might do a nice job manufacturing first downs - due to either their burst/route running or large catch radius.  

Nobody dominant in the group (though Reed and Thompson are pretty dangerous in their own way), but generally a pretty qb friendly group IMO.  

One guy I didn’t mention that could be a nice asset to the pass game is Guice.  Didn’t prove himself to be a hands back in college, but I think he’ll surprise some people.  

Really though, I believe the receiving group will only go as far as the oline lets them, and that concerns me.  

• Like 2

Reading Hoffman's tweets

Doctson at Z?

Richardson at X.  Battling McLaurin at that spot.

There is something that adds up that way which is Jay mentioning Sims at Z and putting him after Doctson on the depth chart.   Richardson did play some X last year. Played some Z, too.  Ditto Doctson.  The clip below has Richardson at X. 

But to me that makes more sense, I like McLaurin at X. Ultimately, I think Sims could start at Z.

richardsonx.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hand the ball off,throw to Jordan Reed...championship!!

Fortunately it is really that simple if Reed is indeed healthy. 

Offense operates around high percentage throws to Jordan Reed combined with short runs to move the chains. 

Once Reed begins to get focused by the opposing defense, the passing game opens up elsewhere making for higher % plays to our wide receivers. 

Sprinkle in some creative use of Chris Thompson and it can be effective as it has been in the past. 

Now, it's only a matter of time before the aforementioned two get hurt which will necessitate a change of offensive gameplan..hope that guice and that the receiving groups have blossomed by then because they will have to dictate the defensive focus or our offense will become putrid and our defense will suffer the consequences. 

Sharp special teams and a potentially dominant defense is how we win games this year. If we can maintain an effective offensive identity this year we will win the division. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

You like to keep things simple don’t you? 😁

That's how they do things in Idaho, all the time

41 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Unofficial dept chart appears to have an element of intentionally being politically correct/non-controversial...:kickcan:

I don't follow. Could you hint at what you're referring to ?

Actually no big deal. I'm not worried about that.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

What did Einstein say was the definition of insanity?  Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

I know it’s early but seeing the preliminary depth chart showing Doctson (X) and Richardson (Z) isn’t going to improve our wide receiver production much - Doctson does look improved this TC but is it enough to elevate him to be that go-to 1,000 yd WR1?  Richardson is fast and has good hands but his issue is staying healthy; and playing flanker isn’t an ideal spot for a man who weighs 174lb soaking wet. I think he could be better at slot. 

I have not seen or heard of trying McLaurin at X while Doctson is at Z.  Then play with Richardson or Quinn in the slot and see if this combination is better. I’d like to see McLaurin get more reps at X with the 1’s. I bet Doctson excels at Z as there is usually a 2-3 yd cushion across from the strong-side CB. 

Also, I’d like to see Harmon get more reps with the 2’s. Harmon excelled at Z in college and I think he’s best suited for that role in the pros, too. 

My my wishful thinking week 1 depth chart would be

X: McClaurin, Simms

Z: Richardson, Quinn

Y: Doctson, Harmon. 

Only time will tell but it at least try different combinations during camp to see if it’s an improvement. But having the same line-up as last year isn’t going to change the end result much. 

Edited by JaxJoe
  • Like 1

@JaxJoe I'm with you but this is the time of year where we all get anxious of who the best lineup and players are. I think by the 3rd preseason game alot of what you want will work itself out. I'm all for a McClaurin,Simms, Harmon/Quinn combination myself.

This year is going to be fun to watch all the games especially the perceived 2nd and 3rd string guys.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Fortunately it is really that simple if Reed is indeed healthy. 

Offense operates around high percentage throws to Jordan Reed combined with short runs to move the chains. 

Once Reed begins to get focused by the opposing defense, the passing game opens up elsewhere making for higher % plays to our wide receivers. 

Sprinkle in some creative use of Chris Thompson and it can be effective as it has been in the past. 

Now, it's only a matter of time before the aforementioned two get hurt which will necessitate a change of offensive gameplan..hope that guice and that the receiving groups have blossomed by then because they will have to dictate the defensive focus or our offense will become putrid and our defense will suffer the consequences. 

Sharp special teams and a potentially dominant defense is how we win games this year. If we can maintain an effective offensive identity this year we will win the division. 

Yeah i agree, It is our best shot of winning football games this year. The strength of this offense is the running-backs & Tight ends, also if anyone thinks Trent Williams  won't be missed in the passing game they are sadly mistaken. Teams are going to blow up  our line on passing downs. I see quick screens to HB's and our tightends being the focus this season on offense.

Edited by JoeJacobyHOForRIOT

How many games lost does it make sense for a coach to dial back snaps?

You look at Richardson.  Is Jay planning on 100 targets for him? Or maybe its best he gets half that target load, and let him try and survive the entire year - code for managing his snaps.  Share his load with someone, oh say a rookie that is not ready for full time duty - seems the best of both worlds.

We manage CTs although I still think we run him up the gut way too often, and our game day roster has NO backup for him. I think its important to get your key cogs to last the year.  With CT out I feel like our offense went to crap, 2 seasons in a row now IIRC.

McLaurin may be a smart pick since he provides speed as a PRich backup. Maybe there will be no undisputed starter before too long.

Edited by RandyHolt