Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Why do I get the impression that Doc just doesn't have the heart or burning desire to tear it up in the NFL? I just don't see the fire inside....

Eh, I dunno man.  I mean, we love to see guys do the Ray Lewis dance, spike the football, make the first down sign, yell, scream...if guys are quiet, workmanlike...that doesn't always come across as having fire or passion.

It's hard to say who has heart and burning desire.  We all like to think we know who does but just because some guys aren't super demonstrative doesn't mean we know who is.  I think we all thought Sua Cravens was some amazingly intense football beast when we drafted him.  Yeah, we were all wrong on that one.

Quinn and Richardson are injured??

Lets say both start the year in IR.  Hardly a stretch, I know. 

Doctson McClaurin Kidsy

Sims Harmon/Quick/Davis

Sims seems a lock since he made the 53 last year.  I think Richardson out cements a spot for Doctson - need a vet thing.  2 years ago Ike said Quick had the best camp of all the WRs - as we drooled over everyone BUT him.  I think Quick plays teams which should never be overlooked when projecting a 5/6.  I hope Harmon plays teams as I want last years attempt at a youth movement continued.  Davis just seems the odd man out at this point.

Edited by RandyHolt

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Why do I get the impression that Doc just doesn't have the heart or burning desire to tear it up in the NFL? I just don't see the fire inside....

Marvin Harrison is one of the best receivers to play but he was a quiet guy, just depends on the personality. I dont think Doctson being a quiet reserved guy says anything about his desire or lack there of. He just may not be good enough.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Richardson being injured or just hurt is no shocker.  What exactly is wrong with Quinn and is it severe enough to be worried when it comes to Week 1?  I liked what I saw from him last season in very limited snaps.

He just tweaked his thumb, he should be fine for week 1. 

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Eh, I dunno man.  I mean, we love to see guys do the Ray Lewis dance, spike the football, make the first down sign, yell, scream...if guys are quiet, workmanlike...that doesn't always come across as having fire or passion.

It's hard to say who has heart and burning desire.  We all like to think we know who does but just because some guys aren't super demonstrative doesn't mean we know who is.  I think we all thought Sua Cravens was some amazingly intense football beast when we drafted him.  Yeah, we were all wrong on that one.

I hear your point but it would be nice to see something more out of Doctson. How bout some quotes about getting the ball more, pushing the others as a leader, or showing something that demonstrates how much he cares and wants to win? Kirk Cousins had the "you like that" quote cause he was pissed off, I'd love to see Doctson catch a pass and get up and show some fire by yelling "throw me the damn ball!" Give us some Keyshawn or something close. Keyshawn went out and jacked up Justin Bieber for speeding through his neighborhood....maybe Doc could get in one of the Jonas brothers faces? Something that shows he has some kind of tude inside him....I need to see some fire on the field out of Doc.

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I hear your point but it would be nice to see something more out of Doctson. How bout some quotes about getting the ball more, pushing the others as a leader, or showing something that demonstrates how much he cares and wants to win? Kirk Cousins had the "you like that" quote cause he was pissed off, I'd love to see Doctson catch a pass and get up and show some fire by yelling "throw me the damn ball!" Give us some Keyshawn or something close. Keyshawn went out and jacked up Justin Bieber for speeding through his neighborhood....maybe Doc could get in one of the Jonas brothers faces? Something that shows he has some kind of tude inside him....I need to see some fire on the field out of Doc.

I don't necessarily disagree.  But I think he cares.  IIRC, last year dude cut off the back of his cleats and wrapped them so he could play, his feet were killing him.  

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman's take today:

He thinks Harmon is a lock.  Doctson likely makes it but its not 100%.  He thinks Cam Sims is a lock and might challenge for a starting position.  He thinks Steve Sims might sneak on to the roster (if they include 7 receivers) to back up Quinn at slot.   

So maybe the roster battle we should be watching is Josh Doctson vs Robert Davis, with a chance for Steve Sims either way. 

Alright, grab the lotion.

I got to talk to Lake Lewis before the game today, if you don't know him he's a writer/reporter and he's been covering the team for 7 years now...a really good, down to earth dude. I asked him about McLaurin, he said that they are through the roof about him.  He can play all three receiver positions and they'll be planning on moving him around to keep defenses guessing.  He said he was surprised at how big he is.  Garcon was actually a decent sized receiver.  Not a big towering guy, but powerfully built and with the pads on, Lewis says they look to have a similar physicality.  McLaurin is listed at 6'0, 208 and Garcon is listed at 6'0, 211.  

Lewis went on to say that McLaurin is a combo of Garcon and DeSean.  He's got Garcon's size, attitude but he's also got DeSean's first two steps and top end speed.  The ability to get to his speed that quickly is THAT good.  He said that P-Richie's speed doesn't play too fast in games but it's not like that with McLaurin.  Two steps, McLaurin is at full throttle.  Said he's got the hands, the attitude, and the smarts.  

As excited as they are about McLaurin, they're just as excited about Trey Quinn.  He called Trey Quinn a dog, plays mean and aggressive and is going to get a ton of looks this year.  The reason you're not seeing him, according to Lewis, is that they want to keep him under wraps.  He's got hands, runs excellent routes and they plan to use him a lot.  Lewis thinks 70-80 catches for Quinn is certainly possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Alright, grab the lotHe called Trey Quinn a dog, plays mean and aggressive and is going to get a ton of looks this year.  The reason you're not seeing him, according to Lewis, is that they want to keep him under wraps.  He's got hands, runs excellent routes and they plan to use him a lot.  Lewis thinks 70-80 catches for Quinn is certainly possible.  

And that's an even further testament to how good Quinn is ; they don't even feel like he needs the preseason reps, even at his young age...so they can afford sitting him, in order to keep him under wraps.

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Alright, grab the lotion.

I got to talk to Lake Lewis before the game today, if you don't know him he's a writer/reporter and he's been covering the team for 7 years now...a really good, down to earth dude. I asked him about McLaurin, he said that they are through the roof about him.  He can play all three receiver positions and they'll be planning on moving him around to keep defenses guessing.  He said he was surprised at how big he is.  Garcon was actually a decent sized receiver.  Not a big towering guy, but powerfully built and with the pads on, Lewis says they look to have a similar physicality.  McLaurin is listed at 6'0, 208 and Garcon is listed at 6'0, 211.  

Lewis went on to say that McLaurin is a combo of Garcon and DeSean.  He's got Garcon's size, attitude but he's also got DeSean's first two steps and top end speed.  The ability to get to his speed that quickly is THAT good.  He said that P-Richie's speed doesn't play too fast in games but it's not like that with McLaurin.  Two steps, McLaurin is at full throttle.  Said he's got the hands, the attitude, and the smarts.  

As excited as they are about McLaurin, they're just as excited about Trey Quinn.  He called Trey Quinn a dog, plays mean and aggressive and is going to get a ton of looks this year.  The reason you're not seeing him, according to Lewis, is that they want to keep him under wraps.  He's got hands, runs excellent routes and they plan to use him a lot.  Lewis thinks 70-80 catches for Quinn is certainly possible.  

That'd be great. Question is though, is Quinn made of glass? So far, we haven't seen evidence he can survive the NFL.

• Like 2

I was surprised to see Quick get reps and targets with the first teamers. Not entirely sure why. I'd love to see some of the younger players get those snaps. We know what Quick is at this point and there's basically zero chance he makes the final 53 (though will probably be brought back at some point during the year). Granted, no WR got many looks last night. But it seems weird that guys like Harmon get banished to the later stages of the game. Or even get Robert Davis some snaps with Keenum.

I think they tried to feature Quick so he can get a chance with another team when he gets cut. Jay being the nice guy that he is. 

And Harmon is buried until the 4th quarter in a feeble attempt to try to hide him from other GMs should we be forced to stash on the practice squad.  I am not still not convinced he is a lock but its nice to see contested catches out of him since that is atop his resume.