Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

Let me first say that you have been plenty fair and cool, more so than I expected at this point, @Skinsinparadise. Remember that. 

Thanks and OK.

To the quotes above, I think there has been 1 person.. maybe 2.. that has expressed this.

There were definitely multiple people who said it.  Later if I have time, I'll look back.  I understand though how it could be confusing though because things have really tapered down, one of the people for example on that train did a 180 this week, and another poster I can think of their take changes from post to post so it depends on which posts you focus on.   And I can recall being criticized by at least three different people on this thread specifically about things that center more or less around me sticking with the conservative-Alex is good not great point.   

I can recite the arguments pretty well and it was definitely made by more than just one rogue person.   Different arguments made by different people. There was a phase where the cool thing on this thread to do was hype up Alex being more than just good. 

A. Andy Reid is who limited Alex.  His yards-lack of big numbers was a function of Reid's QBs just don't put up big numbers.  It wasn't about Alex.  Watch him put up big numbers here.

B.  A variation of the point above.  Kirk was a system QB who thrived because of Jay in large part.  You plug in a better QB in Jay's system -- just watch what happens.

C.  Alex is a winner.  It's the intangibles.  It's the little things.  For that reason he's an improvement

D.  Heck yeah Alex is aggressive, did you see his numbers last season? That's who Alex is.  Yeah Tyreek Hill is good but it wasn't all about him.

E.  Playing off of the point above, Alex is just getting better.  2017 is just the start.  Anyone arguing otherwise is a hater or misses the forrest for the trees

I will agree with that sentiment. I don't think we have seen enough in 2 weeks to really shatter or cement that position anyway. 

Totally.  I am not even ruling it out Alex could be great and the loudest praise I've heard about him this off season turns out true.  I suspect he will stay true to the reputation but who knows.  I am really surprised how some have cooled off.  If I felt that strongly about a player I wouldn't pump the brakes after 2 games.   Give the dude some time.  

That said, there is every indication from many here that jaded opinions start off tainted, and that's just human. I get it. It sucks, but I'd probably feel the same way in your/other's shoes. Like others have said, the bitterness of Kirk is not going away, and once again.. Alex Smith goes to a new "forum" (thank Jeebus he doesn't have anything to do with social media) that has instantly has that axe to grind against him. 

Yeah but I think you are missing the boat here at least for some people's takes.   That's why I keep saying apples to oranges to the Chief's board because the context is totally different here.  In a way he's got it much worse here.  But I don't think any animosity is directed at him, its all about the FO.  As you stated and its obvious I think to most, Alex is a super nice guy -- all class.  A lot of people don't like Bruce Allen and IMO part of it is he comes off as a douche and is easy to dislike. 

But the level of excitement about Alex I don't think is that high.  His jersey sales, just looked it up is ranked #119 in the NFL.  Kirk is at #26.  Vikings fans I gather are much more excited it seems about their new toy as Redskins fans are with Alex.  But that IMO has most to do with angst-feelings about the franchise and the decision makers.  I don't think any of the hostility is directed at Alex.

And I and just about every fan here are rooting for him and all the players.  The problem here for Alex looking at it from your context is this:  he's a walking symbol - him and Kirk both as to the future direction of this FO and in turn the franchise.  So that's some heavy baggage he comes with.  He can say (and he did last Spring) in an interview that he feels no pressure to his season in relation to Kirk and what went down with that -- but regardless, that will loom over his season anyway.  And it should.  Not because of him.  But because of the FO or more directly Bruce Allen. 

Do I think for example the 2016 game when Kirk lit up GB and then did so again last Sunday in a different uniform is relevant to how this roster does without Kirk tomorrow -- I sure do.   And I know I am not alone on that.    However, I am rooting for it to work out.  I always put the players and team first.  If I was going to let this FO drive me out of my fandom, it would have happened long ago.  So I live and die with each game.  So I hope we are on this thread later on Sunday with giddiness about Alex's performance and I get to hear again about Alex is just a winner. 

I felt the same way in 2015.  I liked RG3 at the time.  But if Jay wanted to run with Kirk, I had his back on it and said he better be right and said the season should play out to judge.  Jay was right.  This to me is another rodeo like that, if they are going let Kirk go and Alex is the next guy, then they better be right is how I see it.  But I'll let the movie play out the same way with more skepticism, though. I don't have the FO's back on this one the same way because unlike the other situation they got rid of a bonafide franchise QB as opposed to dumping question mark.   If they are wrong -- should people be fired?  IMO, heck yeah. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The problem here for Alex looking at it from your context is this:  he's a walking symbol - him and Kirk both as to the future direction of this FO and in turn the franchise.  So that's some heavy baggage he comes with.  He can say (and he did last Spring) in an interview that he feels no pressure to his season in relation to Kirk and what went down with that -- but regardless, that will loom over his season anyway.  And it should.  Not because of him.  But because of the FO or more directly Bruce Allen. 

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if they are wrong -- should people be fired?  IMO, heck yeah. 

Maybe you can and will clear up the confusion. It seems like it's an agreed upon fact that the Redskins' F/O is hot steaming garbage. Right? 

So what does it matter whether Alex and Co. make this season a success in any way? 

Will that opinion of the F/O actually change? or won't it just be that "the dumbass F/O just got lucky cuz..." ?

3 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Maybe you can and will clear up the confusion. It seems like it's an agreed upon fact that the Redskins' F/O is hot steaming garbage. Right? 

So what does it matter whether Alex and Co. make this season a success in any way? 

Will that opinion of the F/O actually change? or won't it just be that "the dumbass F/O just got lucky cuz..." ?

It's not universally agreed upon, no. There is a contingent that really likes Bruce Allen, and think that Danny boy has turned it around and become competent. You see that in the Cousins/Smith debate as well as others. To be blunt, much of what you see in the Cousins/Smith debates it not really about the 2 QB's (some is, but a lot is not) it's more about the FO and the job they did. Did Cousins simply not want to be here, never negotiated in good faith and the FO did the best job they could (one side of the argument) or did the FO completely botch negotiation, low ball Cousins and never really negotiated, and then moved him out and payed a huge amount of money for a guy that was a older, more conservative model.

You were not here for all of that, and the 3 seasons that Cousins was starting, so it's understandable that you would not have that optic. Probably a good thing too, as it was very bitter on both sides and is going to color peoples opinion.

So, to you last comment, no. It will be the perfect example that they were right, and we should keep moving in their direction, with no changes. And if Cousins falters in Minny, it will validate them as well. And trust me, they are waiting for a bad game from him, most can't even acknowledge how good he was last week, because the special teams gave up a punt block for a TD, and the FG kicker went 0-3 including a chip shot to win the game. They just say, "he still can't win".

Even though wins are a team stat.

55 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

The most blunt way for me to answer this question is if Kirk > Alex and the team sputters or is mediocre this year -- that is likely the best shot for changes to come with the FO.  So its far from in the category of why does it matter -- its not a minor plot line -- its the main plot line at least according to some who cover the team.   And if you followed the drama (and there was much of it) leading up to the trade it would make a lot of sense.  According to one of Bruce's biggest defenders they even acknowledged that Alex versus Kirk is a thick plot line to Bruce's future.

My point is in spite of that, I am ironically rooting for Bruce to be vindicated.  For the simple reason, that i am a bigger fan of this team than disliking anyone who I think is a roadblock to its success.  But if it doesn't work out, he should be fired or reassigned.   I'd like him fired or reassigned regardless but that's not happening so the soap opera on that point is likely squarely about how this deal and by extension the season pans out.

55 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

My opinion and I know some others here think the FO structure and the guy at the top stink way before the Alex trade.  But obviously, its not up to us, we aren't the decision makers.   The Alex trade is just another log in the fire.  So Alex's success game to game has no impact on me unless the totality of it all ends up in a special season.   And again, it's not about Alex.  It's about Alex's match to this roster.  I flat out said in the off season if we were Jax or another loaded roster, I'd have liked the deal. 

You seem to even agree with the idea that this roster might not be a great match to Alex in terms of being ready to be a serious threat for a SB.  That's been my point.   I think he's a good QB. He's a good guy.  It would have been IMO a good trade if he went to a team with a loaded roster.  And I don't think this is a bad roster but I don't see it being loaded.   But like I've said many times, this off season I have a hard time grabbing ahold of what i think of this team.  I can see it being really good, mediocre, or bad.  So maybe I am wrong.  Maybe Alex is going to a loaded roster.  If they win tomorrow, I'd feel a lot better on that front.  And I actually (not to jinx it) suspect they can win tomorrow.  

I am still agnostic about Alex and this team as what their ceiling is.  I am open minded.  But on Bruce and the FO the jury is out for me.  And its not about whether Alex's performance versus Kirk effects what I think. On that front, who cares?  The fact that it supposedly effects what Dan Synder thinks.  That to me makes it VERY relevant. 

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Do I think for example the 2016 game when Kirk lit up GB and then did so again last Sunday in a different uniform is relevant to how this roster does without Kirk tomorrow -- I sure do.   And I know I am not alone on that.    However, I am rooting for it to work out.  I always put the players and team first.  If I was going to let this FO drive me out of my fandom, it would have happened long ago.  So I live and die with each game.  So I hope we are on this thread later on Sunday with giddiness about Alex's performance and I get to hear again about Alex is just a winner. 

What must Alex do for you say he’s a “winner” this season— 9-7, 8-7-1, or 7-9? 

Comparing Alex against GB and Kirk in 2016 is flawed. Not saying you’re drawing a conclusion or anything from it, but it’s not relevant in my eyes. 

16 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

The short answer is yes and no....  This applies to moderate middle most as the extreme positions will not be swayed either way. 

Before a good answer can be given, it depends on what you call success. Another 8-8, 7-9 season is not success in my mind - although that may be this teams ceiling through no fault of Alex. So let's define success. For me success is 10+ wins. With that in mind (yes = it will matter, no = it will not matter):

You di not ask this part, but it needs to be addressed, anything less than 9 wins is a negative on the FO. But I think you will see most blaming the FO not Alex. At least that's where I will be. Alex is who he is. Most of us knew what was coming. A more conservative version of Kirk. Less mistakes but also less heroics. But it's not his fault the FO brought him here and may be expecting something different. He is who he is by now. And that's a decent QB who will not typically lose games for you but will also not often win games either. 

Dan - No, even a SB will not change my mind that he is a POS. I can however separate the football side and will obviously have to give him credit for finally after 20 years putting a winning combination together. But just a little. Even a blind dog finds a bone sometimes. 

Bruce - Yes, sort of. Not happy with how he handled Kirk and his spend thrift approach to Free Agents is too focused on money and not enough on player quality as he is just not a good evaluate of players. When someone like that has the final say you end making poor personnel decisions - like having your oft injured starting LG be a guy that sat in Free Agency long enough you could sign him for basically league minimum. But hey, if it produces a winner, I will have to give him credit. Having said that, nothing will change many peoples mind on how Bruce coughed up a fur ball dealing with Kirk. It's not just about keeping Kirk or not, Once they decided to move on they did so the only way possible that they got zero compensation for a legitimate starting NFL QB in his prime. 

FO Structure - No - This is the real issue most of us have here. If there was a true GM with a real football personnel evaluation background then many would feel better about the chances of this working. The question for Dan is, there are many examples that show the best recipe for success in the NFL and his method has shown almost no results, why keep doing it?? So if they have success, you have to give them some credit. But it's also fair that after almost 20 yrs to have the feeling that they more got lucky than found a true structure for success. Having said that, if it's the start of a string of successful seasons then that mindset may change. But not after a single season. 

Alex vs. Kirk - Yes - Have to give them credit for getting Alex if it works out. It's more than luck. They clearly targeted the best QB in free agency not named Kirk Cousins and landed him. For many of us, the trade in a vacuum is not a problem - outside of not getting anything for Kirk. Alex is a capable QB. You get a safer but not quite as dynamic QB. For me, I do not think it's a big drop off between the two. Kirk does sling a bit more at the end but that often ends in a painful interception. I believe Alex shows a bit more confidence than Kirk, especially on broken plays. But it's only two games and has yielded only one win in those two games. There is a lot of football left. 

In the end, the answer to your question is probably winning cures everything, at least to some extent. So maybe for some it will vindicate the FO or change people minds more than others.

However, what you are seeing being relatively new to the board, last weeks loss is just so representative of the Redskins of the last 20 yrs, many of us are just really tired of seeing the same movie over and over again. A rebound win over the Packers could revive some hope. Let's hope they have a great game. Two weeks of agonizing over a 1-2 start after a great first game would be painful. Although, to be honest, a loss would give me reason to do something else on Sundays and just look for a score. Something I started last year after close to 50 yrs of watching almost every minute of every game live. 

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

indeed said that Alex is an aggressive QB "when he needs to be".  The argument was a variation of the dude is just a winner, he's conservative when he needs to play that hand to win a game and can gunsling with the best of them and be aggressive when he needed to do that to win a game.  And I'd add if you don't agree with them than you are a hater.  

I am not going to call anyone out but I've seen some tapering off of some of the positions from some from before. 

Yeah... that was me.   And i stand by those comments.  No tapering off here.

However,  i know I've never called you a "hater", or anything close to it - but maybe that particular comment was meant for someone else.  

Go Redskins! Good luck tomorrow all.  

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

What must Alex do for you say he’s a “winner” this season— 9-7, 8-7-1, or 7-9? 

Comparing Alex against GB and Kirk in 2016 is flawed. Not saying you’re drawing a conclusion or anything from it, but it’s not relevant in my eyes. 

Nothing really. And certainly not any of the three records you pose there.  I don't believe in the premise of a QB is a winner or loser.    To me they are really good or not good.   And the team surrounding them is either good or not good.  And then it all adds up together in the soup.  

The closest thing to me to a QB being a winner in the strict sense is sort of Joe Montana thing -- not elite skills but really clutch.  Alex doesn't have the rep of being really clutch so that one doesn't apply to him IMO.   

But my feeling about Alex is like most "good" Qbs.  That is, when they have a running game and their weapons are playing well around them.  They can look very good.  When that's not happening then typically "meh".  As for Kirk, I've watched much of his first two games.  I've watched him plenty of times live.  I've watched Alex once live and watched his practice.  So I have a much smaller sample of Alex and need to see more to judge definitively.   And I am not pessimistic about him.  I am just judging what I see thus far with the premise that its not enough to form a conclusion.

I've made this comment on a thread in 2017 watching Kirk and Colt throw back to back in training camp when I was there and that is Kirk's arm is much livelier than Colt, and its very noticeable when you watch them throw back to back.  Watching the Vikings game on TV and then seeing Alex live back to back the difference in arm strength between their two arms from my perspective was very noticeable.   I don't feel like getting into a Kirk-Alex debate but I'll just say Kirk in 2 games clearly looks a peg better than Alex.

And I never bought into the idea that Kirk isn't clutch.  I saw some clutch-gritty play with him and always wondered what would he be if he had a supporting cast. And what would happen when he led a comeback his defense would actually hold it versus give it up.   But that's just two games as for the tit for tat so we will see going forward.  So I am not hardcore on this point.  Its early. 

However, there is an aspect to Alex's game that I like better than Kirk and we saw that in game 1.  The running game.  All the razzle-dazzle pre-snap stuff, the motions, misdirections, sweeps -- all of that I love.  If I recall you don't love that as much.  But yeah for me that's what I am hoping for is the difference with Alex.  I won't care how much he slings it if they can run a game plan like they did against Arizona and win. 

2 hours ago, Temper11 said:

Yeah... that was me.   And i stand by those comments.  No tapering off here.

However,  i know I've never called you a "hater", or anything close to it - but maybe that particular comment was meant for someone else.  

Go Redskins! Good luck tomorrow all.  

Thanks.  You weren't the one who called me a hater. I recall who they were but I am not bringing it back up - no need.   My beef wasn't with anyone with a differing opinion.  It's part of what makes discussion fun.  If we all saw things the same way then yawn.  But if people (not you) are going to call me out and label me -- I will remember that if it doesn't turn out their way. ?

As for you believing Alex is aggressive and plays that hand whenever its needed. You had company, it wasn't just you -- and various people had variations of different reasons for why in their minds Alex is clearly better than Kirk.   Just like I said then, most who have covered Alex at least the ones I happen to hear, say otherwise as to the conservative versus aggressive argument.  But I don't rule it out.  I just got to see it.  I think today is a perfect day for it.  I read GB just doesn't lose unless the opponents put up 30 points or more on them -- that's been the statistical trend. 

And for me I really don't care if he lights up GB or not.  I am a big run the ball-ball control guy. However, some games you aren't going to have that luxury especially if you fall behind.  So this might be a test cast for it.  And I am not saying he's not up for it.  I got no idea but I'v heard enough to be at least skeptical that its a slam dunk dunk fact. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nothing really. And certainly not any of the three records you pose there.  I don't believe in the premise of a QB is a winner or loser.    To me they are really good or not good.   And the team surrounding them is either good or not good.  And then it all adds up together in the soup.  

The closest thing to me to a QB being a winner in the strict sense is sort of Joe Montana thing -- not elite skills but really clutch.  Alex doesn't have the rep of being really clutch so that one doesn't apply to him IMO.   

But my feeling about Alex is like most "good" Qbs.  That is, when they have a running game and their weapons are playing well around them.  They can look very good.  When that's not happening then typically "meh".  As for Kirk, I've watched much of his first two games.  I've watched him plenty of times live.  I've watched Alex once live and watched his practice.  So I have a much smaller sample of Alex and need to see more to judge definitively.   And I am not pessimistic about him.  I am just judging what I see thus far with the premise that its not enough to form a conclusion.

I've made this comment on a thread in 2017 watching Kirk and Colt throw back to back in training camp when I was there and that is Kirk's arm is much livelier than Colt, and its very noticeable when you watch them throw back to back.  Watching the Vikings game on TV and then seeing Alex live back to back the difference in arm strength between their two arms from my perspective was very noticeable.   I don't feel like getting into a Kirk-Alex debate but I'll just say Kirk in 2 games clearly looks a peg better than Alex.

And I never bought into the idea that Kirk isn't clutch.  I saw some clutch-gritty play with him and always wondered what would he be if he had a supporting cast. And what would happen when he led a comeback his defense would actually hold it versus give it up.   But that's just two games as for the tit for tat so we will see going forward.  So I am not hardcore on this point.  Its early. 

However, there is an aspect to Alex's game that I like better than Kirk and we saw that in game 1.  The running game.  All the razzle-dazzle pre-snap stuff, the motions, misdirections, sweeps -- all of that I love.  If I recall you don't love that as much.  But yeah for me that's what I am hoping for is the difference with Alex.  I won't care how much he slings it if they can run a game plan like they did against Arizona and win. 

I believe better QBs provide more opportunities to be in positions to win games. Call this being a winner or good, same thing for me. The elite can shoulder more responsibility and deserve any pay. Alex and his teams have been in positions to win in the majority of games he’s played in. As I continue to learn about Alex, this appears to be his goal in games— be in position/have an opportunity to win weekly. Some like to call this winning football, and for Alex AND teams winning has taken place often. In my view, a large portion of his value will be looking back and at the amount of games team was in position to win and won. 

I agree Kirk has a livelier arm than Alex. No question. 

I like the misdirection stuff and maximizing Smiths abilities, but not at the rate Reid runs it. It fizzles out over time and defenses seem to adjust. Chiefs first two games last year scored 69 points, this year its 82 (or close to it), let’s see how it plays out. They were all the rage last year at this time as well.

(I would love an Andy Reid offense with all the “razzle dazzle” stuff with a 4.4 speed guy at QB).  

I’m hopeful the intangibles and fit with Gruden pans out with Alex. I don’t have a feel if Alex is better than Kirk (both appear to be average to above), but banking on Alex having a positive impact at 9% of the cap and roughly 10% over the next 3 years. 

To a much larger point, if the team plummets this year, I will have been wrong about the direction of the team and changes must take place. As much as I’d hate to endure another turnover. Yuck! I will own this if it takes place. 

4 minutes ago, Redd said:

Oh look, Smith can throw it deep when our receivers get open.  Looks like a great Quarterback to me.

Don’t think it has anything to do with that.  He just decided or Gruden emphasized to him you have to force the issue sometimes.  Pass interference happens to much to play like he did last week.  I hope he plays this way from here on. 

Where are all the Cousins fans that were stuffing my notifications last week?

People who think there's an enormous gap in quality between these two are deluding themselves. We're a run-first team and Alex Smith screws up less often with less locker room drama.  

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

People who think there's an enormous gap in quality between these two are deluding themselves. We're a run-first team and Alex Smith screws up less often with less locker room drama.  

I’m still nit sure KC isn’t quit a bit better. But AS was great today. Not sure if the second half craptacular was him or Jay but they need to get it fixed.  Looked like Jay just called a scared the whole second half. Luckily for us the Pack had some big drops and great calls by the refs. 

On 9/16/2018 at 7:31 PM, petedaddy said:

then you didn't watch the game that closely - the first pick was a perfectly thrown ball to Treadwell that went through his hands and popped up to Ha Ha, the second one was not pretty, but you can't say that being hit or pressured didn't impact the throw

I know you may need a shoulder to cry on after that INT and 3 fumbles by your boy, we're here for you buddy. LOL

Bills 27- Vikes 6 ?

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I liked Kirk but he's not here anymore.  Real talk, he didn't want to be here either the last few years.

It was fine when he was a skin to argue to keep him here but it's over now. Time to move on with Alex Smith for better or worse.

1 hour ago, Vladimir L said:

I dont know if its Alex fault or Gruden fault but this game and the Arizona game we started out very good....but we slow down in the 2nd half

Gruden seems to be really bad at making halftime adjustment. If we are going to go anywhere, he's going to have to learn to do that. The problem is that if can't do that by now, it's never going to happen. Best we can hope for is get to a early lead, and hold on in the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Gruden seems to be really bad at making halftime adjustment. If we are going to go anywhere, he's going to have to learn to do that. The problem is that if can't do that by now, it's never going to happen. Best we can hope for is get to a early lead, and hold on in the 2nd half.

Yeah, I think that ship has sailed for Gruden. He's been an OC and HC calling plays now for many years...if he can't make halftime adjustments, or on the fly adjustments to when the defense counters his gameplan, by now he ain't gonna learn. People have talked about x, y, or z player leaving being a huge hit to us, but IMO the loss of McVay was the biggest.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Smith had a good game today and I thought more impressive than week 1.  Still imperative the team can move the football on the ground for success with him.  I love the idea of being a run-first team and hope it carries over every week.

5 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Amazing first half by Smith.  If we can have this Alex I’m stoked.  Different team when he pushes the ball downfield. 

Yep, I hope he can keep that up without needing Jay to tell him to throw it downfield more.  (Crowder confirmed that in post game)  If he can just play more like he did today this team can make things interesting.  I've been tough on him but voted him player of the game today.  He was more bold with his passes today.  I especially like how pissed he got when Reed gave up on the route that cost Alex a pick.  We'll see what happens after the bye. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Smith had a good game today and I thought more impressive than week 1.  Still imperative the team can move the football on the ground for success with him.  I love the idea of being a run-first team and hope it carries over every week.

Yeah more runs than passes, like I said I don't mind and actually like ball control offense.  Alex played well in the first half -- the offense disappeared in the 2nd half just like the Arizona game.  But I don't put that on him.

3 intangible type of things I liked about him today.  1.  I liked his honesty that the deep throw to Richardson wasn't well placed, that was obvious watching it, but he flat out said it wasn't thrown where it was supposed to.  2.  I liked that he was pissed on the sideline after the INT (assuming at Reed?) -- one of my fears about him was that he is so chilled that he doesn't get mad -- and I like to have some emotion.  3.  I liked him acceded the offense went in the tank in the 2nd half and they need to fix that.

I am a sucker for honesty and players who acknowledge things need to be fixed -- otherwise I think you are more inclined to be stuck in the mud.

Now, lets see them follow that game up with a good game against NO.  This isn't directed at Alex but yeah I wasn't that surprised that they had a bounce back game from a bad game.  The Redskins respond well to adversity.  Now, can we thrive off of some prosperity for a change?

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I think he gets too conservative in the 2nd half when ahead and sits on leads.  Reminds me a lot of Gibbs 2.  We caught some breaks for it to work this time.  But I hope he learns his lesson going forward.  I liked that Alex acknowledged it was a problem -- the 2nd half offense.

The irony is Kirk when miked up talked about this issue specifically in the GB game in 2016 -- forgot how he said it but it was something to the effect of keeping the pedal on the gas. 

Having said that they won, so i still got Jay's back. I still like him.  If they have a good season -- he did a good job.  I'll let the movie unfold and see what happens. 

If it makes everyone feel better, I think Alex Smith had more completions of 15+ yards today than Dak Prescott has had for the season.  Of course, I think that Zeke Elliot has more 15+ yard runs this season than Dak has 15+ yard throws.  If this continues, Dallas will not have a chance at the playoffs again until they find a QB.  

Archived