Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks for the link.  What mystifies me the most about the post game rap is if the Colts were playing cover 2, especially Tampa cover 2 -- it should make it easier not harder to run the ball?  It doesn't speak well of our run game.  

I think this game coming up will be a definitive one for Alex.   You can't typically get away playing conservative going against Aaron Rodgers -- a shoot out is ultimately inevitable.   The Vikings had to let it fly in the 4th quarter so to speak.   Alex might have to as well.  Should be a fascinating watch for that reason. 

If that happens, I think we are in a lot of trouble.Crowder, Reed, and Thompson I trust to be able to get open. The rest of the group I don't. I feel that if we get into a shootout we're going in with very limited ammo.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks for the link.  What mystifies me the most about the post game rap is if the Colts were playing cover 2, especially Tampa cover 2 -- it should make it easier not harder to run the ball?  It doesn't speak well of our run game.  

I think this game coming up will be a definitive one for Alex.   You can't typically get away playing conservative going against Aaron Rodgers -- a shoot out is ultimately inevitable.   The Vikings had to let it fly in the 4th quarter so to speak.   Alex might have to as well.  Should be a fascinating watch for that reason. 

Well unlike some who think Smith may be erratic or degrading fast, I have found him to be pretty consistent over the last several years. There's just no mystery with the guy. He's a good QB, but not so good that he can do it all on his own. Some really want to believe in that myth of QBs carrying the team, and while I'm not interested in arguing about the rare ones considered elite... or the potential young studs like Mahomes seems to be... it is rare if ever to have a QB of that real or fantasized ability. 

Smith is still the same old good, boring QB that can be a significant part of a good team winning a lot of games.

Will that happen in Washington? I sure thought so leading up to and through week 1. I try not to be heavily swayed by just a lone game, but the week 2 one really threw me off. It didn't throw me off about Smith.. he's still the same dude. It was mainly the OL and scheming not matching up to what I anticipated. 

We'll see how it goes, but all the back and forth petty grudges and snipes on the internets have already made me tired, and it's early. THIS is exactly why I was hoping and expecting Smith to up and retire after last year, and I still wish he had. 

10 hours ago, Morneblade said:

If that happens, I think we are in a lot of trouble.Crowder, Reed, and Thompson I trust to be able to get open. The rest of the group I don't. I feel that if we get into a shootout we're going in with very limited ammo.

Limited supporting cast I agree.  But I don't see this team making the playoffs if we can't win in a shootout or come from behind this season at times.    We aren't always going to start with a lead and milk the clock as much as I love that approach when you can do it.  It's the NFL where the best laid plans as you know don't always go down. 

We've had some people on this thread say that I among others are discounting Alex's prowess by defining him as conservative. The retort has been more or less Alex can do anything -- he's just a winner.  He's conservative when its warranted and if he needs to outgun a fellow QB in a shoot out, he can do that, too.  He has the right approach for any type of game.

I had and still do my doubts about all of that but I still have an open mind.  So yeah I'd like to see Alex in a shoot out and see how well he does.  That's not because I advocate that approach to win a game but you are going to be forced to do so it at times to win whether you like it or not.  And I think we might be forced to see some of that this Sunday.  And if it is, and Alex excels I'd love it because it would dispel my heaviest doubt about him. 

9 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Well unlike some who think Smith may be erratic or degrading fast, I have found him to be pretty consistent over the last several years. There's just no mystery with the guy. He's a good QB, but not so good that he can do it all on his own. Some really want to believe in that myth of QBs carrying the team, and while I'm not interested in arguing about the rare ones considered elite... or the potential young studs like Mahomes seems to be... it is rare if ever to have a QB of that real or fantasized ability. 

Smith is still the same old good, boring QB that can be a significant part of a good team winning a lot of games.

Will that happen in Washington? I sure thought so leading up to and through week 1. I try not to be heavily swayed by just a lone game, but the week 2 one really threw me off. It didn't throw me off about Smith.. he's still the same dude. It was mainly the OL and scheming not matching up to what I anticipated. 

We'll see how it goes, but all the back and forth petty grudges and snipes on the internets have already made me tired, and it's early. THIS is exactly why I was hoping and expecting Smith to up and retire after last year, and I still wish he had. 

I've watched in person a shoot out between Kirk and Brees.  It was a fun watch.  Ditto Kirk versus Rodgers and Brees both here and Minny.  I don't consider Kirk elite -- at least not yet.  I've seen from other posts you can get huffy when people bring up Kirk but its nothing personal against Alex -- Kirk is just the last QB we've seen.  That's our reference.  If I was all about Kirk with me, I'd have done what you did and follow him to his next team.  But I didn't and i wasn't even a little tempted to do so.  I am still here and rooting for the guys in house.   

Like I told you in another post, this is apples to oranges as to Alex moving from SF to KC.  Alex isn't replacing Matt Cassel who came off a nightmare season.  Alex is replacing a bonafide franchise QB who we watched grow for years.     So the bar isn't low here.  It's high.  And there is context to it.  And now that I know your frame of reference (and its cool to each their own and appreciate the honesty), I am not moved one whit when you complain about people's frame of reference on this since there is no way you can relate to it let alone judge it since you haven't been here.

I agree that a QB doesn't win a game on their own.  However, I don't think you have to be Brady and Rodgers to win a game in a shoot out. but agree they can do it the most consistently by a mile  Some quarterbacks are just on fire some days. I wouldn't want to run my team that way or offense that way but sometimes the game organically just goes in that direction like it or not.  Alex's predecessor was arguably up and down on that front but had his moments.  I'd like to see Alex have some moments too even if its just on occasion. 

The larger point for me is some of Alex's biggest advocates have said the idea that Alex's conservative tendencies are overblown and its nonsense -- he can be conservative or aggressive depending on the context game.   My response is almost everywhere I look and listen including the article below its about Alex's conservatism.  So for me to take other people's words don't believe the people who covered Alex, Football Outsiders, Andy Benoit and the whole lot of people who make that case -- they are all dead wrong.  If so, then I got to see it -- not read about it here from someone posting but actually see Alex do it.  And I genuinely have an open mind about it.  So if he lights it up against GB or have a big game where he lets it fly it would reassure me -- that's all.  ?  

My point here is my #1 reservation about Alex, so I'd enjoy putting that one to rest. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-alex-smith-air-yards

Smith’s conservative approach really bit the Redskins late in their loss to the Colts. With Washington trailing by two scores with 3:19, Smith was content to dink and dunk his way down the field, much to the chagrin of the FedEx Field crowd. The drive eventually fizzled out at the Colts 34-yard-line after taking 2:58 off the clock.

Somewhere, Andy Reid is nodding his head in approval.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd have done what you did and follow him to his next team. 

This gets annoying. I am a 49ers fan foremost. I'm not following Alex around in an all obsessive capacity. 

Alex Smith started a foundation in 2007. It's a Youth Foundation, maybe you've heard of it. http://alexsmithfoundation.org/

What this guy has started and accomplished.. outside of slinging around a football.. has been nothing short of amazing. He has helped so many people, and yes, even people that mean quite a lot to me on a personal level. 

Outside of this, he is a great human being, and is a real lesson in perseverance. Tell me how many QBs are quality starters for this many years after enduring pure crap during their early development. The dude is not amazing, but he's a good QB that history shows should have fizzled out quickly, and disappeared from anyone's memory.

You add all those things up, and this is why I have maintained continued interest in seeing how his very rare football career has traveled.. and how it finishes out. I like to see good the guys come out on top, sue me. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Like I told you in another post, this is apples to oranges as to Alex moving from SF to KC.  Alex isn't replacing Matt Cassel who came off a nightmare season.  Alex is replacing a bonafide franchise QB who we watched grow for years.     So the bar isn't low here.  It's high.  And there is context to it.  And now that I know your frame of reference (and its cool to each their own and appreciate the honesty), I am not moved one whit when you complain about people's frame of reference on this since there is no way you can relate to it let alone judge it since you haven't been here.

I think you're looking at this wrong, and that you don't have a clear mind because of your deeper emotional involvement than I. 

Can you agree that the contract negotiations with Kirk were bungled, and he was absolutely not going to be a Redskin in 2018?  I'm going to answer a yes for you, as it seemed very clear. 

So when Alex came to DC, he didn't push Kirk out of the boat and grab the wheel. Kirk was already in the water by the time they threw Alex on that boat to take the wheel. When Alex stepped onto that boat, there was NO one on the boat holding that wheel. 

This is why I don't understand why he's being talked about or compared to anymore. He was gone. Not my decision. Not Alex's decision. Just gone. So honestly, if instead, Kirk has been the victim of a murder in 2017... and Washington was scrambling to find a QB to start for them. Where is the bar set to for that QB in said QB's first year of absorption into the scheme? 

It is just two games and one of the games the Skins dominated a hapless Cardinal squad on the road. I think we should wait at least a couple of more games before we consider an early season review.  I am concerned as the next fellow about the hapless performance against the Colts but let's see how our guys do against the Packers.  I don't expect a victory but I want to see them battle to the last moment.  Remember the game against the Seahawks last season?  I thought the Skins were really outmanned but showed a lot of heart and grit to win I want to see that kind of effort against the Packers.

5 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I think you're looking at this wrong, and that you don't have a clear mind because of your deeper emotional involvement than I. 

This is why I don't understand why he's being talked about or compared to anymore. He was gone. Not my decision. Not Alex's decision. Just gone. So honestly, if instead, Kirk has been the victim of a murder in 2017... and Washington was scrambling to find a QB to start for them. Where is the bar set to for that QB in said QB's first year of absorption into the scheme? 

1. Me personally, I try and avoid the "your wrong because I said so" approach to subjective things. If I like cheeseburgers and you like chicken sandwiches more, its subjective. Personal preference. What is right for you or the way you approach things may not be right for me or the way I approach things. If we want to compare Kirk to Alex in our fan discussions, that like perfectly reasonable and expected .. especially on a fan forum.

This comment wasnt directed at me but it would annoy me if it was.

2. Its been explained why Kirk and Alex will be discussed and compared ad nauseum .... if you dont want to bc you dont think it is relevant or didnt watch Kirk over the years to have the same reference point as we do, thats cool, totally fine ... but people will continue ot compare the two from time to time when discussing the current state of affairs for the Skins. Hell, we might even bring up JC or colt or pineapple jesus aka cult of colt as well. 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

This gets annoying. I am a 49ers fan foremost. I'm not following Alex around in an all obsessive capacity. 

Alex Smith started a foundation in 2007. It's a Youth Foundation, maybe you've heard of it. http://alexsmithfoundation.org/

What this guy has started and accomplished.. outside of slinging around a football.. has been nothing short of amazing. He has helped so many people, and yes, even people that mean quite a lot to me on a personal level. 

Outside of this, he is a great human being, and is a real lesson in perseverance. Tell me how many QBs are quality starters for this many years after enduring pure crap during their early development. The dude is not amazing, but he's a good QB that history shows should have fizzled out quickly, and disappeared from anyone's memory.

You add all those things up, and this is why I have maintained continued interest in seeing how his very rare football career has traveled.. and how it finishes out. I like to see good the guys come out on top, sue me. 

I didn't attack you moving from team to team for him. But you are acting if you some sort of innocent good will dude who are chasing away the bad dragons.  Even though, you've been very snarky previously on the game threads among other places for people who challenged Alex, especially if they brought up Kirk even if it was done just lightly.  And you challenged whether I am being honest with my emotions on the board about my take on Alex as if we are talking about a spouse and I needed to air out my true emotions.  Considering all of that, I think you owning up from the get go that you are a new Redskins fan purely because of Alex would have given some perspective on all of that.  

And my point is simply, I don't think you can judge Redskins fans emotions when they refer to context from the past since you didn't experience any of that past-emotions - let alone you being snarky about it.  But granted ever since that Chiefs fan smoked you out, you've backed off on it. 

As for the run here about how Alex is a wonderful guy and you are just following all of that good will -- not sure about the point? First of all, I am the dude who talked about his foundation first as far as I know on this thread.  And we all talked plenty about what a nice guy he is.  I think we all get that.  Heck John Beck went on a missionary on Africa to help the poor which delayed his career.   Jason Campbell might have been the nicest guy in the NFL. 

Kirk dedicates a chunk of his salary to fight human trafficking.  I've seen Kirk up close interact with my kids twice, total gentleman and my kids loved the dude -- heck my kids even made it on an ESPN feature with Kirk where you can hear Kirk call out my daughter by name.   I went to a Q & A where Kirk was at, he saw a  T-shirt I was wearing which was one of the ones he did for charity and gave me a nod and took a picture with me.  With all of that, I had no temptation to follow him anywhere.  And I am not saying that you shouldn't follow Alex -- to each their own. 

We've had really great people here in the past as QBs -- we've been lucky on that front.  Mark Brunnel, Campbell, Kirk, Beck.   Doug Williams could make you melt with his kindness-nice guy.  Alex is in good company on that front. ?

Not my intention to come off as frosty yet again to you, @Skinsinparadise. Just saying to that part of your wording (follows him around team to team) just feels like I'm being called a desperate puppy for him. I am not some freak that invests my whole existence to his football greatness. I have Sunday Ticket, a ton of time on my hands, and I like keeping up on how he and his new teams do. I'd love to see him win a SB, and others I know of also have a hard to explain fascination with how his unusual football journey ends. 

Of course, people can talk about Kirk, compare Kirk, etc. if that's their thing. I don't see why I can't have an opinion on it being irrelevant..  or seeing what I perceive as it having unproductive motivations behind it. Doesn't mean I'm always or even often right. I'm just a call it like I see it person, and generally don't intend to be a jerk about it.

It's not like any of us have a tangible, vital stake into either QB's future. It's just football... interesting stories of others that are playing out, and we get an entertaining view of it. :) 

Not my intention to come off as frosty yet again to you, @Skinsinparadise. Just saying to that part of your wording (follows him around team to team) just feels like I'm being called a desperate puppy for him.

Sure, you've explained that and didn't mean to imply otherwise.  What I was saying is you following Alex around from team to team is IMO pertinent to this point though and that is how the past and that includes Kirk fits into the context as to whether making this move for Alex was a good one or not.   All of what went down with Kirk among other things leading up to it is relevant.   And It's hard for me to comprehend how someone who wasn't a fan of this team until recently can lecture us about how it really isn't relevant.  

Of course, people can talk about Kirk, compare Kirk, etc. if that's their thing. I don't see why I can't have an opinion on it being irrelevant..  or seeing what I perceive as it having unproductive motivations behind it. Doesn't mean I'm always or even often right. I'm just a call it like I see it person, and generally don't intend to be a jerk about it.

Our feelings about the owner and Team President relating to all they did leading up to this not just as to the QB right now but everything -- many of us find relevant.  That's my point as to this is a different animal than replacing Matt Cassel with Alex Smith - here you aren't replacing a bum with someone who is clearly better like you were in that case.  Here you are going for a QB who is 4 years older and might not even be better.   But the kicker is this - you have to trust decision makers on this who you typically don't trust.    This isn't rodeo #1 with a franchise type QB leaving the team.  It also isn't rodeo #1 for lets go get a 34 year old veteran and all will be well. 

Now if we all loved the Team President and owner and or had a stud GM (KC has arguably had some good ones, I noticed Dorsey already has rock star status in Cleveland) it would be a different story.  We'd be hey these guys are just rock stars when it comes to making decisions when have they let us down.  They get almost everything right.  Just trust them and enjoy the ride and don't fret about some bumps along the way.  But alas, that's not the context we are dealing with. 

There are some fans who disagree with this but its a small minority who think highly of the owner and team president.  And there is also a group of people who dislike Kirk and dislike Bruce/Dan.  But there is also a large and vocal group (me among them) who think they royally screwed up the Kirk contract and dislike Bruce/Dan.  The one thing most of us agree on here is the decision makers with this club aren't very good or classy among other things.   Alex-Kirk being really a side show to the point.  The larger point is about the decision makers who run this club  - you might have noticed being a national NFL fan -- Bruce-Dan are punchlines by plenty and the way they handled the Kirk contract has been mocked from just about everywhere with a rare exception.  So I don't think it should be that much of a shock to you.

But if you are just looking at this squarely about Alex Smith.  I think very few of us can just ignore context to Alex Smith.  And I can't see how you can relate to where we are coming from as to context on it let alone come on strong and biting on that front.  But like I said you've backed off doing that so its all cool.

All of what I said here, really just about everyone on this thread can identify with -- even if they disagree with it they get the sentiment on it because they've heard it plenty and not just from me.  On your side of things, I don't see how you would have any idea let alone tell us what should motivate us on the subject.  That's my point.    But agree football is all in fun.  So I don't mean any of this heavy handed.  Just explaining. ?

maybe this is a good omen, if the O line issues are squarely on Lauvao -- looks like he's out this game.

The offensive line’s struggles vs. the Colts weren’t as bad as they looked. Quarterback Alex Smith was sacked three times, but he was only pressured on 10 plays. Moreover, the problems on the line were almost exclusively the fault of left guard Shawn Lauvao. He surrendered a sack and four additional hurries, the latter of which tied the other four members of the line put together.

Lauvao is a potential problem — a weak link on a unit that is only as strong as its weakest link — but given that the other four members of the line are solid or better, the Redskins should be able to overcome.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/09/18/four-reasons-redskins-fans-shouldnt-panic-about-the-team-just-yet/?utm_term=.c183ebf53b7e

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

maybe this is a good omen, if the O line issues are squarely on Lauvao -- looks like he's out this game.

The offensive line’s struggles vs. the Colts weren’t as bad as they looked. Quarterback Alex Smith was sacked three times, but he was only pressured on 10 plays. Moreover, the problems on the line were almost exclusively the fault of left guard Shawn Lauvao. He surrendered a sack and four additional hurries, the latter of which tied the other four members of the line put together.

Lauvao is a potential problem — a weak link on a unit that is only as strong as its weakest link — but given that the other four members of the line are solid or better, the Redskins should be able to overcome.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/09/18/four-reasons-redskins-fans-shouldnt-panic-about-the-team-just-yet/?utm_term=.c183ebf53b7e

calf injury

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can't resist complaining about my pet peeve the center of the OL  which has been a disabling weakness for years in my opinion.  They have needed to address the center of the OL for years with a powerful LG and Center because the weakness there negates any chance they have of developing a power running game.  I said before the draft they needed to invest in the interior OL to help Alex be successful instead they drafted a DL and a RB.  I really think I could do a better job than Allen and Doug Williams, not that is saying much these idiots couldn't recognize a budding star franchise QB under their noses and fail to appreciate that strength at the center of the OL is necessary to run.

31 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I can't resist complaining about my pet peeve the center of the OL  which has been a disabling weakness for years in my opinion.  They have needed to address the center of the OL for years with a powerful LG and Center because the weakness there negates any chance they have of developing a power running game.  I said before the draft they needed to invest in the interior OL to help Alex be successful inside they drafted a DL and a RB.  I really think I could do a better job than Allen and Doug Williams, not that is saying much these idiots could recognize a budding star franchise QB under their noses and fail to appreciate that strength at the center of the OL is necessary to run.

I just commented on this in another thread.  Spencer Long wasn't a stud here but he wasn't bad and he's young and typically healthy -- he has an 84 pass blocking rating from PFF thus far this season, that's borderline pro bowl numbers.  We let him go and instead retain Lauvao who if I recall correctly was PFF's lowest graded guard last year and is off to a rough start this year.  As for center, Roullier has some potential but don't know what to make of him, yet.

This is another example of Bruce and the FO's ineptitude.  What's most disappointing to me about it is if you are going to bring a new Qb until the fold after them completely botching things with the prior QB -- you'd think they'd set Alex up for the kill to vindicate themselves.  But even within that context, Bruce can't bring himself to spend money on talented FAs versus the typical junk-bargain hunting that he loves doing and mostly failing at. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:29 PM, ThomasRoane said:

Down 12 and knowing that you probably have only one play left do you really need your coach to tell you take a shot in the end zone instead of throwing a check down (incomplete at that) to your running back?

I was fine with the checkdowns when they were working for that 1st TD (before the fumble).  you need 2 TDs... the defense is going to play soft so you take what they give you.  Your best bet is to work it down the field, score a TD, kick an onside kick and hope to recover, and then take 2 or 3 shots at getting in the endzone with a few bombs.  Game was over with the fumble.  Check downs or bombs after that - didn't matter.  Game was over just running out the clock.  IMO.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

he's young and typically healthy

He was injured in the 6th game of his contract year, did you want to give him $7M per year like the Jets?

I get this is the time for nitpicking but there were probably better options than signing an average lineman to $7M a year contract?

I expected to see a bunch of cut-ups on Alex missing open WR's downfield but haven't seen them anywhere, just one play where he missed Crowder on what could have been a chunk play, if anyone has seen some please post them.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:28 PM, Morneblade said:

Well, then let me clarify. There has been several new accounts that are here to do one thing, and that is sing Alex's praises. When things go bad, they disappear...........and the anit-Alex guys come out and dump all over him. I see absolutely no difference in the 2.

I'm here... sorry I'm late, was busy at work (still busy actually) but wanted you all to get your pound of flesh.  I've been taking arrows for Smith since he was with my Niners.  So, fire away!

I actually thought he played alright - not terrible.  Line was getting destroyed and the times when he did have time to go downfield, his passes were right on the money - dudes just didn't catch em.  Those passes get caught, drives extend, different game.  But... enough said - get your licks in! 

For what it's worth, I think the difference between the Smith Trolls and the Smith Fans, is that the trolls will come here to celebrate in Redskins losses.  Fans will be bummed right along with the rest of you.  To me, I see a difference in that - but it's your board. 

Hoping the skins get back in the win column this Sunday!  I may really need the skins to win to shed some happiness on what looks to be like a rough game for the niners against the chiefs. 

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He was injured in the 6th game of his contract year, did you want to give him $7M per year like the Jets?

I get this is the time for nitpicking but there were probably better options than signing an average lineman to $7M a year contract,

Last year everyone was banged up, the dude is typically healthy and he's young.  But to your point, I don't give a rats behind if it was Long or someone else -- but you don't downgrade at the interior which is in effect what they did IMO.  Long > Lauvao.  Long >Arie.  But if your point is sign someone in FA other than Long, I am fine with that.   They didn't do that either. 

This isn't a 20-20 hindsight nitpicking.  It was practically a mantra in the FA thread, beaten by people much louder than me.   On the FA thread, I was looking for them to make some noise at some positions and could take them ignoring LG if they killed it elsewhere but they didn't do that either.  Me being upset at this team's FA approach is a running theme year to year -- if you are looking for me to be nicer to the FO, then you'll see me do it typically after the draft.  I like Kyle Smith.  I don't think much of Santos and company in FA.  

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But if your point is sign someone in FA other than Long, I am fine with that.

That was my point, we didn't need the guys we let go, we needed the free agents who went to other teams and I'm not just talking about the O line.

Like Allen Robinson who has 14 catches in 2 games with a QB who is average at best, Robinson and PRich would have been a nice combo.

I've been outspoken that I felt our O line was overrated for some time now, the only person I have seen agree with that is Veryoldschool, most others have said it was poor blocking by our TE's, wonder if they still think that?

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

That was my point, we didn't need the guys we let go, we needed the free agents who went to other teams and I'm not just talking about the O line.

Like Allen Robinson who has 14 catches in 2 games with a QB who is average at best, Robinson and PRich would have been a nice combo.

I admit I liked Richardson and that has time to play out.  I did like Robinson, too.  I'll give Cooley props -- he was the guy on film review saying Richardson isn't even in the same conversation with Robinson saying Robinson is a bonafide #1 receiver.  Robinson even thanked Cooley for his film review on twitter.

It reminds me a little of when Jay goes yeah we liked Calais Campbell but hey we got two guys we got both McGee and McClain.  Ok, fine.  But yuck.  The Jags play the high end of the FA market and look at that defense now.

But anyway, we digress, its more for the FA thread.

Where I find it relevant to Alex is shows how pathological they are with FA that they even do it in the year after leaking to reporters about how letting Kirk go will save them money for FA and bringing Alex on board where you'd want him to excel -- and they still do the same thing. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I admit I liked Richardson and that has time to play out.  I did like Robinson, too.  I'll give Cooley props -- he was the guy on film review saying Richardson isn't even in the same conversation with Robinson saying Robinson is a bonafide #1 receiver.  Robinson even thanked Cooley for his film review on twitter.

It reminds me a little of when Jay goes yeah we liked Calais Campbell but hey we got two guys we got both McGee and McClain.  Ok, fine.  But yuck.  The Jags play the high end of the FA market and look at that defense now.

But anyway, we digress, its more for the FA thread.

Where I find it relevant to Alex is shows how pathological they are with FA that they even do it in the year after leaking to reporters about how letting Kirk go will save them money for FA and bringing Alex on board where you'd want him to excel -- and they still do the same thing. 

I like what I've seen in the small sample size from PRich but to me, he's more of a high end #2, not a true #1 but you still need those guys and with Robinson that would have been a great one-two punch.

We went from one extreme to the other, throwing money away to being the cheapest team in the NFL and that more than anything is what frustrates me.

Alex is Alex, everyone knew who he was and to hang him out to dry with this personnel is tragic and you could see it coming a mile away.

This guy is going to end up being the scapegoat because the FO didn't get him more talent.  I don't think Kirk at $28M a year is changing anything around here, just another 7 to 9, maybe 10 win season, he's better off where he is, he will reach his potential at Minnesota but not here and not now.

I don't think it would have happened here because we have too many holes to fill and need that money to do it but if you're not going to spend it anyway then WTF.

Archived