Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You’re probably right.  But I would have actually thought we had a chance to win.  Perhaps he throws picks and we lose worse too.  But I’d rather get blown out while trying to win than just accepting defeat by dumping it 2 yards at a time.

I've watched obviously both of Alex's games and a chunk of both of Kirk's games.  I've been on the train that Alex is a slight downgrade over Kirk -- I'd say based on what I've seen in the first two games, Kirk looks easily a peg better than Alex.    22 point come back in the 4th quarter against GB, wow.   But its just two games.    So for me the verdict isn't in, yet.   

It's still early with Alex.  I didn't love his lack of reps with the starters in preseason and I said so at the time.  I think a QB needs time to find his groove with the system and playmakers.  Watching him now for 2 games -- 1 game up close including his practice throws.  I like his accuracy.  I like what he brings to the running game.  I like the off schedule stuff.  What I don't like is the conservatism when behind and the lack of zip/mustard on his throws. 

I do like the concept of Jay-Alex hopefully coming into this game mad.  I think there are both smart offensive minds and am jazzed to see how they come back.  As for Alex and Jay I sort of see them in the same light in one sense going into game 3.  I was impressed with them in game 1.  I was unimpressed with them in game 2.   I'll give them a pass and start all over.  I typically believe in Jay and still do.    Lets see what they bring in game 3.   As for Alex himself, I'll give him 8 games to judge.  I'll comment along the way but without conviction of that's who he is until the sample is large enough.  I said the same thing more or less ironically about Kirk in 2015 -- he had some bumps too that year which I didn't overreact to. 

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Ignore the "would Kirk have done better" hypotheticals and ask yourself, "could Colt McCoy have done any worse"?  Food for thought.

They're both pointless questions. Kirk was gone no matter what, and Smith is signed to a fat contract that would be devastating to get out of right now. 

What's done is done. Now for the fans, it's just a matter of tolerating and participating as part of it, or electing to find better things to do. 

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

What's done is done. Now for the fans, it's just a matter of tolerating and participating as part of it, or electing to find better things to do. 

But you are not a fan of the team, you are a fan of the player.  That's why it's easier for you to roll with it.  

Isn’t it funny how the o-line all of a sudden looks like sh*t when Alex is the QB and not Kirk? ?

Alex is holding this offense back in a way, despite our weapons not being that good their. He has always had piss poor pocket presence and a weak arm. He got by in his career with elite run games and Tyreek Hill.

40 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

But you are not a fan of the team, you are a fan of the player.  That's why it's easier for you to roll with it.  

Changed my mind; you're right. It would be easier for me to bail if I wanted, but we all have options to bail as we see fit. 

Still doesn't change the fact that what's done is done, and there's no going back.

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I have no issue with Smith.  We knew what he was before he got here.  I don’t blame him a bit for selecting Washington given his options and the amount/length of the deal he was offered.

Its just all offseason long we heard all about how this was at worst a lateral move at the position.  That Alex is a better leader, better in the huddle, better diagnosing at the line of scrimmage, better deep ball, more elusive, more accurate, better fit for this offense, “wants to be here”, will throw it all over the field, and the list goes on. 

Pretty much all of us that you think unfairly ‘hate’ on Smith recognize that he’s a fine QB in the event you have a strong running game.  But he’s just not a dude who’s going to sling it around the yard when the situation calls for it.  Everywhere Jay has been the situation has primarily called for slinging the rock, not pounding it.  

Give Alex some time to display all these intangibles you’re quick to downgrade after two games. 

A huge benefit to having a veteran QB who’s experienced everything you possibly can in the league many times over, is to help keep the team focused on improving for next game. 

I’m confident (as much as an outsider can be) that Alex will own his mistakes and look to better himself for next week. In addition, he will lean on rapport with teammates to find solutions. 

It was a below average game for Alex, no doubt. 

***The deal he got was a bargain in relation to the QB market. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Give Alex some time to display all these intangibles you’re quick to downgrade after two games. 

A huge benefit to having a veteran QB who’s experienced everything you possibly can in the league many times over, is to help keep the team focused on improving for next game. 

I’m confident (as much as an outsider can be) that Alex will own his mistakes and look to better himself for next week. In addition, he will lean on rapport with teammates to find solutions. 

It was a below average game for Alex, no doubt. 

I don’t expect him to play like last week every week.  Contrary to popular belief I don’t think he’s trash.  I just don’t think he’ll prove worthy of bringing in unless at minimum the Redskins become a serious running team.  Which we’ve seen flashes over the years, but it seems to be two or three times a year we can run the ball and other times nadda.  If we aren’t moving the ball on the ground I have a feeling week 2 Alex is most likely the Alex you are going to see.

3 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

They're both pointless questions. Kirk was gone no matter what, and Smith is signed to a fat contract that would be devastating to get out of right now. 

I get the context now more as for where you are coming from on Alex.  Yeah if you are following Alex from team to team that's some serious investment in one player.  And in that context I get being bothered by people who aren't fully invested in Alex, too.

I don't think its that people aren't invested or root for Alex.  We all are.  But I think where you are likely going to be befuddled by is this -- the acqusition of Alex is apples to oranges to the SF to KC move.   This isn't one of those situations where heck we don't have a QB so thankfully our FO bailed us out.  Instead for many of us (not all) we see this as the franchise being the first in modern football history to botch keeping their in house franchise QB.  It's unprecedented.   And that's just half the story.   The other half is the guy who led all of this to happen is also considered by many in the fanbase as a buffoon and a douche.   And we'd like to see him gone.  How Kirk-Alex perform supposedly does have consequence to that bottom line according to some who cover the team. 

You don't have any of that coloring your perspective so I gather you are going to have a hard time to follow people's angst on it since you've never had to experience any angst on any of it leading up to now.  

I am rooting hard for Alex to succeed.  Even when the even bigger buffoon Cerrato ran the franchise I rooted for every transaction to work out.  But i am explaining to you that there is some context to all of this that might sound foreign to you but its meaningful to a lot of us.   

Gotta be honest, this team is a lot less interesting to watch with Alex Smith all things being equal. He's just so... boring. Kirk may or may not be the better QB but every time he played I felt like there was the possibility of a shootout with Aaron Rodgers or Tony Romo or Matthew Stafford or whatever gunslinger was on the schedule that night. It was so much fun to watch even if we lost it was like damn that was cool or I was at least interested until the very end because I knew Kirk might bring it back.

Now it's like I know we're going to lose and the other teams gunslinger may or may not hang a 30 spot on us but our guy is just gonna keep passing for 3 or 4 yards at a time even if we're down by 21 and by golly we might score a ton of field goals if we're lucky. So now watching this team is just doubly boring. 

We had one of the most exciting offenses in the league for a short while and now we're back to the Jason Campbell offense. Why cant this FO just collectively commit hari kari and let us start over with something exciting. Even with the growing pains of a rookie QB at least it would be interesting to watch because of the potential instead of just watching the 3 or 4 yard check down show every Sunday.

I will admit, I am conflicted about this team, and the management of it. Having been a fan for these past 30 odd years, and a season ticket holder (club level no less), I was just hoping for more, a lot more. After all the preseason "We are so much better now" hoopla, I just knew in my heart that we were in trouble.

This team constantly finds new and creative ways to ruin a good buzz. 

With that being said, I have always, and will always support this team. I may yell, cuss, fume, and overtly drink myself into a stupor after a **** show like last weekend (mainly because I think my money is wasted), but I will wear my team gear, go the games, and yell my heart out supporting my team. When everyone else is booing, I just stand with my head down, and quietly sulk until I get to the car.

Yes, my Monday mood really depends on how this team plays on Sundays.Heaven help the people I work with, I feel bad for them.

42 minutes ago, Napoleoninrussia said:

Gotta be honest, this team is a lot less interesting to watch with Alex Smith all things being equal. He's just so... boring. Kirk may or may not be the better QB but every time he played I felt like there was the possibility of a shootout with Aaron Rodgers or Tony Romo or Matthew Stafford or whatever gunslinger was on the schedule that night. It was so much fun to watch even if we lost it was like damn that was cool or I was at least interested until the very end because I knew Kirk might bring it back.

Now it's like I know we're going to lose and the other teams gunslinger may or may not hang a 30 spot on us but our guy is just gonna keep passing for 3 or 4 yards at a time even if we're down by 21 and by golly we might score a ton of field goals if we're lucky. So now watching this team is just doubly boring. 

We had one of the most exciting offenses in the league for a short while and now we're back to the Jason Campbell offense. Why cant this FO just collectively commit hari kari and let us start over with something exciting. Even with the growing pains of a rookie QB at least it would be interesting to watch because of the potential instead of just watching the 3 or 4 yard check down show every Sunday.

1 post and a troll post?  I get why a fan of Alex Smith would follow him here but another Smith detractor followed Alex here?  That sort of negativity is really weird.

Smith actively prevents us from becoming a contending team. He’s nowhere near good enough to carry a mediocre/subpar roster far yet isn’t crap enough to get a top 5 pick. We badly need some blue chip players on our roster. The closest we have are Trent and Scherff and MAYBE Allen. We’re stocked full of average and overpaid players on this team.

8 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

1 post and a troll post?  I get why a fan of Alex Smith would follow him here but another Smith detractor followed Alex here?  That sort of negativity is really weird.

Yes I joined these forums all the way back in January 2017 specifically with the intent of bashing Alex Smith. I wasn't exactly sure what team he'd end up with so I just created accounts for all 31 other teams besides the chiefs.

People have different opinions than you... I'm not entirely sure why my opinion that was supported with personal examples of why I hold said opinion is considered "trolling". Then again I'm an old soul built on logic reasoning and independent thought so I may be out of my element here.

21 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Ive found myself defending Alex the past few days but I agree with naps 1st post (for the most part). I think Alex does and will push the ball down field more but in terms of comparison to Kirk when behind ... Kirk took chances and gave us chances. I do think down double digits, Im looking for a spark from special teams or CT taking it to the house vs Smith hitting some mid to long balls. With Kirk, there was a chance bc Kirk gave us a chance. With Alex, not so much, we will have to lean on other guys imo. 

Still early, well see how it plays out.

17 minutes ago, Napoleoninrussia said:

Yes I joined these forums all the way back in January 2017 specifically with the intent of bashing Alex Smith. I wasn't exactly sure what team he'd end up with so I just created accounts for all 31 other teams besides the chiefs.

Sadly, this is actually very likely. You may just be an innocent new Redskins poster, who can say for sure. 

I'm telling you all though, Alex Smith has some weird fans that have stuck by him while also remaining fans of either SF or KC (hello), but he has even more fans that hate his guts to the point where they will go to any lengths to continue anchoring the hate around of him. I am a member of a former SF forum, and his name is still at the top of their NFL page, 6 years later.. and on a very active forum. 

Sorry, not only did you apparently acquire a "boring" quarterback, but one that has a lot of bizarre fan baggage with him. 

49 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Sorry, not only did you apparently acquire a "boring" quarterback, but one that has a lot of bizarre fan baggage with him. 

To each their own with the follow a QB from team to team.  I admit though I can't relate to it myself.  I like Kirk for example (even met him multiple times) but my interest in him is 100% Bruce driven -- in other words how it effects my team going forward otherwise I wouldn't care one whit. 

We've had our share of new QBs here -- Rex, McNabb, Brunell -- don't recall fans following them here from their previous team -- good or bad.  This is new turf as far as I recall. ?

Alex seems such a low key, cool, nice guy -- but not that sexy of a personality to warrant so much emotion from his previous fan base. ?

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To each their own with the follow a QB from team to team. 

Just to be clear though, I'd have to most be called a 49ers fan, but also just a football fan in general.

I have several teams I can say I like, and want to generally win, yet I can say that I have the 3 teams that I really care about winning games. I won't be missing any Redskins games this year, for better or worse. I am finding the heart-rate going up in each game I watch, as if I was a lifer for them, lol. This weekend, I'll have the main TV on the SF/KC game, while having the Ipad tilted to watch the Redskins/Pack. Maybe I'll swap that, I dunno. I'm glad there are not so many conflicting schedules this season.

I can appreciate die hard fans that have grown up for decades loving only 1 team, a generally local team. Good on them, and do what you do.

I grew up with a different background, and don't take loyalty to team quite as sacred as most. It's not a death do we part thing, for me. It's a whatever I feel like doing with my sports enjoyment kind of thing. tiphat2.gif

9 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

I do agree with anyone stating that Alex should have AT LEAST TRIED to chuck up a prayer

Way Too risky. Look at how good his stats are when he gets it out of his hands quickly, into the playmaker's hands. Look at his stats and QBR and TD:INT ratio. His play is fine, his team failed him.

8 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Ignore the "would Kirk have done better" hypotheticals and ask yourself, "could Colt McCoy have done any worse"?  Food for thought.

Colt probably would have tried to score in the 4th quarter. And by "try", I mean throwing something further than 5 yards downfield.

Colt is a fastball pitcher without the fastball, but at least he will throw it.

7 minutes ago, Cap'nCheckdown said:

Way Too risky. Look at how good his stats are when he gets it out of his hands quickly, into the playmaker's hands. Look at his stats and QBR and TD:INT ratio. His play is fine, his team failed him.

I see what you did there, ;)

18 minutes ago, Cap'nCheckdown said:

So what's your story, you joined yesterday and both of your posts say about the same thing?

Why join a board just to tell us what we already know?

It's fascinating to see that the hate for Alex runs so deep that you guys are joining another team's message boards just to bash him, what the hell is wrong with you people? It's really sad and hilarious at the same time.

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So what's your story, you joined yesterday and both of your posts say about the same thing?

Why join a board just to tell us what we already know?

It's fascinating to see that the hate for Alex runs so deep that you guys are joining another team's message boards just to bash him, what the hell is wrong with you people? It's really sad and hilarious at the same time.

The same could be said for the guys that followed him to his 3rd team, right? But I'll give credit to guys like @Sandy Monkwho own it, and participate in good faith and are here in the off season, through the wins and the loses. You might be here just for Smith, but you just don't show up when he plays a good game. You're here when it's not so good. I respect that.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

The same could be said for the guys that followed him to his 3rd team, right? 

No offense to Sandy but I find being infatuated with a player to the point where you follow him to bash or support is kind of strange but to each his own.

The bottom line is we have enough smart football people on the site who are fully capable of criticizing our team and they have every right to, but these trolls really bug the **** out of me because they don't care about the team, they are just weirdo's looking to pour gas on the fire.

Archived