Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

Some topics like this are just naturally going to stir a ton of debate.  On Cowboy's message boards, there is a ton of debate about what their current offense would be like if Tony Romo was still QB.  I understand why they moved on from him, but he was my favorite Cowboy's player of all time.  If he had gone to another team in 2017, I would have been rooting for him big time... and also strongly rooting for Dak to be successful.  I think the Redskins QB situation is fascinating.  It is so rare for teams to have an above average QB and let them go/have them leave.  Then, there is a bunch of other changes that invite multiple perspectives in how to evaluate the change.  When evaluating the question of how much credit or blame to give to a QB... do you judge Alex Smith's performance this year to Cousins performance last year? What each player did with similar supporting casts/schemes.  Do you compare what Cousins does this year with what Keenum did last year with the Vikings?  I dont think the Vikings believed that Keenum could duplicate his performance.  So its a tough comparison for Kirk if he has to make the championship game to "break even" on that comparison.  How relevant is Mahome's performance with Kansas City in evaluating Alex Smith? There are huge thread wars on Giants message boards about how Eli should be evaluated.  Should he be much better with Barkley, Engram, and OBJ as weapons... or is it impossible to evaluate his play behind an OL that bad.  

In the end, there are going to be a lot of differing views.  Who can say?   

Spoiler alert: Me... I can say - Romo was great, Eli sucks, Cousins is better than Alex, but Alex can also be pretty good.  Of course, I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Probably the last thing I'll say tonight, I watched the Colts game and I've come to the conclusion that this guy CAN make good 15+ yard throws with accuracy, he just seems a little gun shy for whatever reason. LET IT RIP DUDE! An interception is okay, it happens to the best QBs.

Agree.  He can make throws.  He's accurate.  His ball doesn't have a ton of zip on it but it has nice touch and placement.   The critics of Alex (including the Football Outsiders guys) will say this -- he's beyond just conservative -- he's pathologically conservative and that even includes checking down in 3rd and long.  And that context doesn't change Alex's tendencies much at all.  From a pure Alex stand point, that was the most disappointing aspect of Sunday -- that to me is exactly how it looked. I haven't watched the coaches tape yet but will so that might change my mind.  Multiple beat guys who were there said Alex had guys open deeper multiple times including in the 2 minute drive when they were way behind and he didn't throw to them.  But I'll watch that and judge it for myself.    

And again no one is an extreme to a caricature extent -- meaning that everyone has exceptions to their general approach.  But on the aggregate that's how Alex is described by most but not all observers.  Andy Benoit who Kirk haters worshipped because he was an early critic of Kirk -- said multiple times Alex's conservative approach compared to his predecessor will ultimately drive Jay nuts because it conflicts with Jay's style.   Having said that, albeit I am not in love with Jay's coaching versus Indy, I'll give him a chance to redeem himself.  Alex likewise is a smart guy.  I am very interested to see how they approach next game and I expect they will learn from it.

Also, I can deal with Alex even if the ultra conservative approach is just simply who he is -- if its accompanied by a good run game.  Love the ball control-Marty ball style when it works.  But if you fall behind -- you got to do what Alex's predecessor did on Sunday, you fall behind, let it fly take chances, good deep.    Back to Alex, my judgment is a work in progress, I'll give him at least half a season to judge -- so even my thoughts about him being too conservative when behind is open to change.  One game, good or bad, doesn't define someone.  

Alex has only played 2 games.  Some posters are familiar with his years in KC and SF but some of us like me did not follow his career there so Alex is brand new and I'd like to give him a chance to get settled in with his new teammates and play some games free from nitpicking.

It was my hope when I started this thread that all Skins could embrace him especially those of us who that became very emotionally invested in his predecessor.  No one here thought more highly of Kirk Cousins than me and I was as disappointed as anyone here that Snyder didn't embrace and secure Cousins when it was possible but that is not on Alex Smith and I want to discourage those here who were very fond of Cousins to take it out on Smith.

I was irritated that disappointed Griffin fans seemed to rejoice in any setback Kirk experienced and the better Cousins played the farther they moved the performance goalposts they measured him against.  It was ridiculous and I don't want people to subject Smith to that kind of treatment.  Smith joined a team with limitations and challenges let's be supportive of his efforts to improve the team and win in 2018. 

33 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Alex has only played 2 games.  Some posters are familiar with his years in KC and SF but of us like me did not follow his career there so Alex is brand new and I'd like to give him a chance to get settled in with his new teammates and play some games free from nitpicking.

It was my hope when I started this thread that all Skins could embrace him especially those of us who that became very emotionally invested in his predecessor.  No one here thought more highly of Kirk Cousins and was as disappointed as anyone here that Snyder didn't embrace and secure Cousins win it was possible but that is not on Alex Smith and I want to discourage those here who were very fond of Cousins to take it out on Smith.

I was irritated that disappointed Griffin fans seemed to rejoice in any setback Kirk experienced and the better Cousins played the farther they moved the performance goalposts they measured him against.  It was ridiculous and I don't want people to subject Smith to that kind of treatment.  Smith joined a team with limitations and challenges let's be supportive of his efforts to improve the team and win in 2018. 

I know that post wasn't directed specifically to me (or I hope not ?)  but I've seen you comment like this multiple times on this thread for months so I feel like chiming in. I've probably put as much real content to promote what Alex can do as anyone on this thread including putting up clips, stills, videos, articles -- the whole 9 yards.   But having said that, its not all positive where its all about cheerleading and just well wishes. I'll list the criticisms, too.   I think that's normal?    The idea of you wanting a thread of just embracing a player, any player, and running a thread for months of just welcoming said player -- seems strange or at least strange to me in the context of other threads over the years that i can recall.  Maybe for a week or so after acquiring the player I get that but a running thread for months?  

So the thread has turned into any other thread I can recall about our Qbs.  People come here to list their opinion.  Good, bad or whatever. 

I am not criticizing your sentiment about having a love fest thread for a new QB, Alex Smith.  It's a nice sentiment.  But if there is one thread on a said player, since when is it pure we got your back, we love you, keep it going dude, where its purely like that?   Like you I hated some of the comments made on the Kirk threads but if those threads were pure Kirk we got your back, we love you  -- they'd have been pretty boring and there be almost no discussion IMO.

39 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Alex has only played 2 games.  Some posters are familiar with his years in KC and SF but of us like me did not follow his career there so Alex is brand new and I'd like to give him a chance to get settled in with his new teammates and play some games free from nitpicking.

It was my hope when I started this thread that all Skins could embrace him especially those of us who that became very emotionally invested in his predecessor.  No one here thought more highly of Kirk Cousins and was as disappointed as anyone here that Snyder didn't embrace and secure Cousins win it was possible but that is not on Alex Smith and I want to discourage those here who were very fond of Cousins to take it out on Smith.

People are going to be people. It's a message board, people are going to post their opinions, that is literally the entire reason for it.

Some people love Alex

Some people hate Alex

Some people dislike Alex

Some people like Alex

And for Some people, the jury is still out.

I've been here a long time, and people are going to disagree. The best thing to do is bring information.  I was fairly familiar with Smith, but I did some digging around this summer to learn a little more about him. Some was good, some confirmed things I already though were not so good.

But the fact remains you can't police though. People are going to have opinions you don't like, or think are fair.

@SkinsinparadiseJeeze, we just posted literally the same post. GET OUT OF MY HEAD! ;)

15 hours ago, Cap'nCheckdown said:

Way Too risky. Look at how good his stats are when he gets it out of his hands quickly, into the playmaker's hands. Look at his stats and QBR and TD:INT ratio. His play is fine, his team failed him.

Stats? Stats! We don't care about no friggin stats!

We could have a QB who passes for league leading yards, QBR highest in NFL, with all the stats in the world to support him, and he would be a FAILURE if the team loses! Oh wait... we did.

This is Extreme Skins! Stats are for fan boys.

3 minutes ago, rick7423 said:

Stats? Stats! We don't care about no friggin stats!

We could have a QB who passes for league leading yards, QBR highest in NFL, with all the stats in the world to support him, and he would be a FAILURE if the team loses! Oh wait... we did.

This is Extreme Skins! Stats are for fan boys.

I believe the post you responded to was sarcastic. From a guy that came over from the Chiefs message board just to dump on Smith. Just a FYI. ;)

18 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Sadly, this is actually very likely. You may just be an innocent new Redskins poster, who can say for sure. 

I'm telling you all though, Alex Smith has some weird fans that have stuck by him while also remaining fans of either SF or KC (hello), but he has even more fans that hate his guts to the point where they will go to any lengths to continue anchoring the hate around of him. I am a member of a former SF forum, and his name is still at the top of their NFL page, 6 years later.. and on a very active forum. 

Sorry, not only did you apparently acquire a "boring" quarterback, but one that has a lot of bizarre fan baggage with him. 

Wait...what??? Dude are you like Alex Smiths knight in shining armor? I just really hope no one doubts my credibility as an innocent Redskins poster on this completely anonymous internet message board, it would do terrible damage to my psyche. 

Nothing here has really ever enticed me to post. I've been a fan my whole life (30 years) and have never seen this team win so nothing really shocked me or excited me much over the past few years until... we let a homegrown franchise QB walk for someone that is a marginal NFL talent at best.

Look, I've seen more of Alex Smiths games than most people on here, though I admit I didn't watch him much in KC. When he was in SF I saw a lot of his games for some reason and was completely fascinated with his absolute lack of testicular fortitude even though the guy was able to win games at a pretty nice clip. 

Despite all this I allowed myself to buy into the Alex Smith hype train this summer and came crashing down to earth Week 1. Even then I gave him the benefit of the doubt that the Cards have a decent secondary and he'd bounce back Week 2. Then I watched the guy throw 3 yard passes with 2 minutes left when we needed 2 scores and yes I snapped and decided to actually post here. 

My opinion is different than yours but no less valid just because you hooked up with Alex Smith in the back of a Buick or something and I didn't.

2 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Alex has only played 2 games.

It's pretty much been consistent over the course of a 14 year career.  Without a solid running game and decent defense, teams with Smith will struggle.  He has awful games and effective and efficient games.  There is no in between.  

34 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Our O line is so overrated and has been for years, no more excuses, they are getting exposed, just watch the film.

Im opening up to this thought. 

Would love to to see some breakdowns of last week. Cooooley, where are you :(

8 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

It's pretty much been consistent over the course of a 14 year career.  Without a solid running game and decent defense, teams with Smith will struggle.  He has awful games and effective and efficient games.  There is no in between.  

Whats the list of QBs who win without these elements? 

Also, The Chiefs defense was horrible last year and bad the year before. 

Alex is average to above average and is being paid like it. 

Right now there is not a single Chiefs fan who misses Alex Smith.

Think on that hard. Consider not attending Redskins games, or flying banners. Maybe they will get the message if enough people do it and dump ASS11 after two seasons.

You guys are in for a long year because Alex is headed downhill fast now that he doesn't have elite weapons (Tyreek Hill's breakout season was the only reason our offense was ever above average in KC), and as much as he's getting sacked behind a good line that doesn't bode well. 

I wouldn't wish the purgatory of Alex Smith on my worst enemy but it appears you guys are just going to go straight to hell instead. Sorry.

1 hour ago, bobafett14 said:

Right now there is not a single Chiefs fan who misses Alex Smith.

Think on that hard. Consider not attending Redskins games, or flying banners. Maybe they will get the message if enough people do it and dump ASS11 after two seasons.

You guys are in for a long year because Alex is headed downhill fast now that he doesn't have elite weapons (Tyreek Hill's breakout season was the only reason our offense was ever above average in KC), and as much as he's getting sacked behind a good line that doesn't bode well. 

I wouldn't wish the purgatory of Alex Smith on my worst enemy but it appears you guys are just going to go straight to hell instead. Sorry.

Ok it was funny at first but you guys are annoying 

you already know what’s gonna end up happening with your team. You’ll look good for 8 games, decline for the final 8, and blow a multi TD lead to Deshaun Watson in the Wildcard game 

leave us alone and start mentally preparing for the Chiefs’ lot in life. You know it’s coming. But on the bright side, Travis Kelce is a nice dancer 

On 9/17/2018 at 4:00 PM, Sandy Monk said:

The mods there were passionate Smith-haters. They gradually quarantined and eventually banned all but two of the Alex fans on questionable charges. I am the last remaining there that is free to post anywhere, at least for now. Why am I the last? Because the mods always struggled to boot me.

You know, of all the things that I predicted would happen after we signed Alex and dumped Kirk... this I did not see coming.

Please stick around.

12 hours ago, wit33 said:

Im opening up to this thought. 

Would love to to see some breakdowns of last week. Cooooley, where are you :(

Whats the list of QBs who win without these elements? 

Also, The Chiefs defense was horrible last year and bad the year before. 

Alex is average to above average and is being paid like it. 

Cooley posted on twitter its coming but didn't say how but I'll post here if/when he does. 

17 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OwxWWQnOnZxQ

Wednesday Q + A with Smith. 

Thanks for the link.  What mystifies me the most about the post game rap is if the Colts were playing cover 2, especially Tampa cover 2 -- it should make it easier not harder to run the ball?  It doesn't speak well of our run game.  

I think this game coming up will be a definitive one for Alex.   You can't typically get away playing conservative going against Aaron Rodgers -- a shoot out is ultimately inevitable.   The Vikings had to let it fly in the 4th quarter so to speak.   Alex might have to as well.  Should be a fascinating watch for that reason. 

Archived