Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Free Agent Thread

method man

I believe we can use this offseason not only to improve personnel, but also to augment the coaching staff with new talent. Our #1 coaching need, without a doubt, is getting a quality OC in here as Matt Cavanaugh is not a playcaller. There have been a number of times Jay has made boneheaded decisions and a reason may be because he has too many things going on. 

I saw that Mike Shula was let go today by the Panthers. I don't believe he is a top of the food chain guy, but he did a pretty good job coaching an offense that has always lacked in skill players (they haven't had a top flight WR since Steve Smith left the organization). This past year, the Panthers finished with the #4 running offense and the #12 scoring offense overall. I believe Shula would help us return to having a top flight run game if we can add a true starting quality back and shore up the LG position. Setting this basis in the run game would allow Kirk to get back to 2016 Kirk Cousins versus the guy this year that had to press with a terrible run game behind him.

Thread is a couple weeks late, like the Redskins. Good personnel people are already being interviewed and hired elsewhere. It's kind of too late.

Skins missing out on a rare opportunity to improve the front office with what has been happening in Green Bay. 

Honestly, the first coordinator position that I wanted to jettison was Special Teams. I feel like I could make a good case there. That was in-season. 

Then as I thought about it, our O-Line / Assistant Head Coach, I felt was worth discussion too. Particularly as it pertains to how Callahan and crew determine who should come here, who should stay, their template for prospects by way of the player's attributes. Essentially, there are reasons why we aren't able to get that 1 or 2 yards when we absolutely need to get 1 or 2 yards, I'd argue. 

That led naturally to the OC position and our current QB coach doing double duty, or something, not sure what, with both positions. 

Then I had good reason to point out how the market was being flooded with defensive coordinator applicants, and I was like, well, we could do better than what we've done so far.

But ... as you can see, if I'm pointing out virtually our entire coordinator staff, OC, DC and ST, plus o-line/AHC, that's more or less indicting the entire upper coaching staff. I mean, that's like the whole damn staff. And IF you're gonna contemplate change to 3 or 4 major coaching positions, well then what the hell is preventing you from also looking at the one last guy remaining, the head man? 

So either you don't like what Bruce has put together, in large picture, that then leads to discussing the whole senior staff. Or if all you're gonna do is tinker superficially with the staff, like only one position, then I'd argue, you're not actually going to achieve anything of significance. It'll still be a Bruce puppet staff. Still a weird Jay amalgam.  

Face it. We're stuck with Bruce. And Bruce's guy is Jay. And Jay has insulated himself with Bill Callahan and Cavanaugh. They just brought in an assistant o-line coach, from Denver. Stuff ain't changing with philosophy. It's going to still be this weird multi-chef milieu. 

Philosophy won't change unless the whole damn crowd is tossed out. 

In Jay's eyes maybe a positional coach, like WRs or LBs is an expendable patsy in order to deflect heat. As he's done before, they've used the defensive coordinator spot as an open casting call postion on the staff. Almost like Jay's staff is just offense and the D-Co is just a guy on trial and they can toss the dude out because the guy wasn't Tampa True (thug life) from the beginning. They've not had a problem dropping the blame on whoever that dude was. But likewise, they still haven't been able to solve the position by way of their combined genius. 

And of course we have the biggest of all the snafus that was dropped during the middle/end of the season, that people either because they are shell-shocked from the constant volleys in the Cousins' trench warfare battle, or because they don't realize how mixed up and bad it really is, in that Bruce Allen is apparently entrenched, integrated, in our 2-minute offense / defense, timeout usage, challenges, clock management. 

Whaaaaaaa?

BRUCE ALLEN!!! 

Bruce is involved in our 2-minute clock management. That's just an amazing bombshell of dysfunction that people are just like meh to in this sad state of totalitarian affairs. 

IDK. I'm flummoxed. 

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Honestly, the first coordinator position that I wanted to jettison was Special Teams. I feel like I could make a good case there. That was in-season. 

It's absolutely mind-boggling (if such a thing is still possible with this team) that Kotwica remains employed on this team. Just about at the bottom of every special teams stat I believe. I figured he'd be gone as soon as the season ended. 

6 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

It's absolutely mind-boggling (if such a thing is still possible with this team) that Kotwica remains employed on this team. Just about at the bottom of every special teams stat I believe. I figured he'd be gone as soon as the season ended. 

When your HC routinely makes bone-headed staffing decisions, that should tell you something. Whether it's passing on Wade and hiring Joe Barry, thinking he could handle HC and OC roles in his first year, or hiring Kotwika, Gruden has offered enough for me to know that he has no business being a HC........at the moment.

I am all in for Kotwika to hit the bricks. For the life of me, i cant understand how this team can't find a Special Teams coach that can make this unit anything other than incompetent... for a decade at least. Seriously, just don't be incompetent. That is about as low as i can set my bar of acceptance. Just don't be INCOMPETENT.

And they are. Mr. Spit n Polish Marine with all of his ideas of drill has a special teams that doesn't even know the rulebook. Un-****ing-forgiveable. 

I'd also like to look around at WR coaches. Our WRs were terrible this year, and even though there was a drop in talent from last year, they made fundamental mistakes again and again. Their effort as a unit lacked. They didn't seem to know how to play their man to get a step, or which way to break, or who is a hot read.. I am MUCH more forgiving a player's physical limitations than i am of fundamental mistakes.. those things reflect coaching. I KNOW for example, that Jamison Crowder can make a play.. i've seen it again and again. I also see crowder end up a yard short of the stick or allow DBs to stay on him without a move to shake them. No one on the outside got separation all year. it was rare. Routes were sloppy, and something in noticed way more often than i should have was simply how tight DBs were able to stick to them consistently. That, and way too many drops. Way too often i see Doctson and Pryor let the ball into their chest (and bounce off). Terrible technique and that should be the base of their skills. 

~Bang

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I must admit that it's absolutely mind boggling that our season has been over for a week and a half and Kotwica is still employed.  He doesn't get any excuses from me for always changing personnel, because his units constantly made bonehead, egregious, football 101 type mistakes.  He's gotta have dirt on Jay.

Not really a fair assessment. STs ranking the last 4 years are below. Started 29th with no people. Moved them to 6th in 2015. Dropped to 13th in  2016, primarily because the two kickers that had been crazy good in 2015 suddenly were not very good. Hopkins especially missed some very critical kicks that could have changed our season. PR last year was in the top 5, I think maybe even #1.  

This year the number of injuries to this team were off the charts. The first place that is seen is in STs. Guys taking on more duties. New guys to the STs units. After having a great year as a PR Crowder suffered a huge regression. Maybe that was he was more a part of the offense. I do not know I agree he should have been replaced sooner.

I am not saying he is great. But when people say our STs have been **** for a decade (not directed at you alone, it's been a general sentiment from many), that's just flat out not true. We were pretty good in 2015 and 2016. It's reasonable to see that they were severely impacted by injuries. Again, it's the first place that suffers.  

Year Rank TEAM S.T. LAST WEIGHTED Rank FG/XP KICK KICK RET PUNT PUNT RET
DVOA YEAR DVOA
2014 29 WAS -5.40% 32 -3.40% 24 -0.5 -10 -4 -8 -4.1
2015 6 WAS 3.20% 29 5.20% 3 3 5.1 8.9 4.8 -5.8
2016 13 WAS 0.40% 6 -1.80% 24 -3.7 -1.5 0.6 -2.4 9.3
2017 22 WAS -2.40% 13 -1.60% 1 -1.6 6.9 -4.1 -7.8

It;s interesting that people want Shula here. I thought no one liked the Tampa connection - granted it was before the Grudens. But still . Those offenses under him were ****. The won due to defense and STs, not the offense. What's even more interesting is that people are totally OK with giving him a pass on poor performance due to lack of talent but that does not happen with the coaches we have. 

I didn't have the time (nor do I care enough honestly) to remove the defensive scores. I am sure they have a pretty big impact on the total scoring, which makes his performance to date even more anemic. He had one good year - Carolina's SB year. And having lived in NC the last 13 years I can tell you that Carolina fans are thrilled to get rid of him. They had a huge Twitter party to celebrate his firing, and rightfully so. His offenses are predictable and unimaginative but gets bailed out by crazy plays by Cam Newton (and no I am not a Cam fan. I actually can't stand him. He as arrogant self absorbed punk. But fair is fair the guy can create outside the pocket, especially with his feet.) 

I am all for bringing in an OC. But I do not want a retread. Get a young up and coming OC looking to make a name for himself. Even with our issues the team was still very good in offense for the most part. Some more creative run designs and a little less predictable play calling and this offense could be very good, even with the lack of talent. Add some talent here and there and it could be spectacular. This assumes keeping Kirk or getting a quality replacement. 

Tampa -

1996 - Yds 28th (270) - Pts/gm 30th (13.8)

1997 - Yds 29th (274) - Pts/gm 23rd (18.7)

1996 - Yds 22nd (297) - Pts/gm 18th (19.6)

1996 - Yds 28th (266) - Pts/gm 27th (16.9)

Carolina:

2013 - Yds 26th (317) - Pts/gm 18th (22.9)

2014 - Yds 16th (347) - Pts/gm 19th (21.2)

2015 - Yds 11th (367) - Pts/gm 1st (31.2)

2016 - Yds 19th (345) - Pts/gm 15th (23.1)

2017 - Yds 19th (324) - Pts/gm 12th (22.7)

Yes, fire Gruden and get Saban.  Unfortunately the Redskins are too determined to continue with their poor decisions to make minor changes, or even change out OC or DC, much less head coach.

Shame, because now the Giants are going to get good again and we will end up firing Gruden in a year or 2.  Not sure I care for Saban that much personally but cant argue with his amazing success and the wisdom and guts to drop two freshman into a championship game midway through.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Just curious because I don't know but what really good ST's coaches are out there?

There's Dave Toub in Kansas City. 

... Buuuuuuttttt, you'd have to hire him as your Head Coach in order to get him. 

Many people see NE as fracturing and splitting apart after their season is over. 

There's a guy with New England, Scott O'Brien, who is an area scout now, used to be ST coach, talented. If the Belichick regime comes to an end, then there's likely to be many guys up for plundering. 

Especially if you already had Toub, one phone call from Toub to O'Brien can prolly get him back in the seat, doubly so if Belichick vacates and the two coordinators jettison as well. 

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am all for bringing in an OC. But I do not want a retread. Get a young up and coming OC looking to make a name for himself. Even with our issues the team was still very good in offense for the most part. Some more creative run designs and a little less predictable play calling and this offense could be very good, even with the lack of talent. Add some talent here and there and it could be spectacular. This assumes keeping Kirk or getting a quality replacement. 

One I would like to give us a try is Wes Phillips.

5 hours ago, Bang said:

I am all in for Kotwika to hit the bricks. For the life of me, i cant understand how this team can't find a Special Teams coach that can make this unit anything other than incompetent... for a decade at least. Seriously, just don't be incompetent. That is about as low as i can set my bar of acceptance. Just don't be INCOMPETENT.

And they are. Mr. Spit n Polish Marine with all of his ideas of drill has a special teams that doesn't even know the rulebook. Un-****ing-forgiveable. 

~Bang

Symptom of being a bad team that doesn't draft well.   (past draft was decent actually here, 6th/7th round picks all played teams for us) 

Anytime you have injuries at LBer your special teams is going to significantly suffer as well. (secondary too) Guys like Spaight and Compton should be special teams studs. Even Chris Carter, our special teams guy ended the season on IR. 

15 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

BRUCE ALLEN!!! 

Bruce is involved in our 2-minute clock management. That's just an amazing bombshell of dysfunction that people are just like meh to in this sad state of totalitarian affairs. 

IDK. I'm flummoxed. 

giphy.gif

Oh FFS! We’re schtupped! Got a link for that BTW?

Archived