Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Free Agent Thread

method man

Oh yeah, man......I think a change after a while can be a good thing, for sure. It was clear, for example, that the Andy Reid show had grown stale in Philly, even though dude had those guys in the playoffs 9 times in his 14 years with the team. Got 'em to the SB, got 'em to 4 NFC championship games........but for both the team and Reid, it was clearly just time to move on. I think McCarthy should think along those same lines. The desert air might be good for him out in Tempe.

Has there been any leaks or discussion about Jay giving up play calling duties yet? He has too much on his plate imo. and they did better with someone else calling plays in 2016. If so I’d take a look at the now released and currently under a lot of hate Todd Haley.

He was the offensive cordinator for the Steelers since 2012. Did he get too cute in the playoff game the Steelers lost last weekend on fourth down? No doubt. But the man’s been wrecking the league offensively for years and still called enough plays for them to score 42 points on the leagues best Defense. 

I know by title that the offensive cordinator position is held by Cavanaugh but Jay calls the plays and just think Haley could help

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Has there been any leaks or discussion about Jay giving up play calling duties yet?

QB coach Kevin O'Connell was being pursued by Chip Kelly to be UCLA's OC but he turned them down after getting the title of Passing Game Coordinator added to his duties.  What that means, who knows.  You can read the official news about it here:

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Kevin-OConnell-Adds-Passing-Game-Coordinator-Duties/6d432a0c-e3c9-4c55-b3b8-f37c576b472c

12 hours ago, c slag said:

Steelers fans I talked to last season before the opening Monday night game didn't have much positive to say about Mike Tomlin and said they would have rather had Ken Whisenhunt been promoted to head coach instead

And they are morons. Shows how spoiled they’ve been when you want to get rid of a guy who has had more success in his coaching career, then all our coaches combined in the last 25 years. 

What I’d give for a steady coach who wins 10+ games and division titles every year.  You know what you get with Tomlin and he’s been great for them since taking over for Cowher.

16 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

And they are morons. Shows how spoiled they’ve been when you want to get rid of a guy who has had more success in his coaching career, then all our coaches combined in the last 25 years. 

What I’d give for a steady coach who wins 10+ games and division titles every year.  You know what you get with Tomlin and he’s been great for them since taking over for Cowher.

While I don't disagree that Steelers fans are spoiled, I'd imagine every fanbase would be pissed to lose a home playoff game to Blake Bortles, with the best all around roster in football. 

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While I don't disagree that Steelers fans are spoiled, I'd imagine every fanbase would be pissed to lose a home playoff game to Blake Bortles, with the best all around roster in football. 

Name me “any” coach in history that hasn’t had a clunker of a playoff game. Happens to all of them, even HOF coaches. They should be more grateful.

35 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Not all our coaches in the last 25+ years have stepped into a job where they were handed Big Ben-like QB and tough D.

11 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Name me “any” coach in history that hasn’t had a clunker of a playoff game. Happens to all of them, even HOF coaches. They should be more grateful.

Gibbs. 

Unless you cont the super bowl loss as a clunker.  

His playoff losses:

Years represent seasons:

1983: SB 18: loss to Raiders

1984: loss division round to Bears

1986: loss to NY Giants in Championship game

1990: loss to 49ers in division round

1992: loss to 49ers in division round

thats stint 1.  There was no shame in losing to the Raiders, Bears, Giants or 49ers in the 80’s. 2 of the losses (Raiders and Giants) were to the eventual SB champs.

in Gibbs 2, he had 2 road losses against the Seahawks.  They were underdogs in both games.

He might be the only coach with that type of record. 

But if you want one guy who never had a really bad playoff loss, he’s the guy.

Isn’t it uncanny that Kyle Shanahan as young as he is already seems to have his own coaching tree with Sean McVay and possibly Matt LeFleur.  They both learned under Kyle with Matt following Kyle from Washington to Cleveland then to Atlanta.  Redskins once had all three on staff and let them go.  Man did Snyder royally screw up with his infatuation with RG3.   Another observation is an article on how the Jaguars team atmosphere and culture changed overnight when they hired Tom Coughlin.  It starts at the top.....and all we can do is dream.

9 hours ago, bobandweave said:

The super bowl 18 drumming counts as a playoff clunker to me. They played in the regular season and the Skins won that game 37-35. Then in the Super Bowl they lost 38-9 to the same team. Damn alcohol lol

I think it’s hard to count a SB loss as a clunker, but that’s me.

Also, the Raiders we’re missing several players in that first meeting.

it wasnt a good look, but the Raiders were a hell of a good team.  

Can never totally know what a guy will do as a Head Coach. There's too much we can't know from their coordinating work, etc. 

That said, Wilks feels like one of those really boring choices that doesn't pan out. He coached good talent to a good result. Would have to know there's something else there to be excited about the hire.

On 21/01/2018 at 3:33 AM, Rex Tomb said:

Because Houston’s defense was so good this year? Sounds like a Belichick hire and nothing else to me.  Going for the name recognition.

Yeah a bit surprised.

Guy went from LB coach to HC in two years. Looks like some are trying to redo Sean McVay 2.0.

But as Hollywood used to prove it, second is usually not as good.

As long as it isn't the Empire strikes back.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:27 AM, pjfootballer said:

If ES had been around in January of 1984, I am certain there would be a number of people here calling for Joe Gibbs head after the SB game.  Heck, when we lost to the Bears on Dec 30, I remember people crying that Gibbs was done.

On January 17, 2018 at 10:28 PM, bobandweave said:

The super bowl 18 drumming counts as a playoff clunker to me. They played in the regular season and the Skins won that game 37-35. Then in the Super Bowl they lost 38-9 to the same team. Damn alcohol lol

Agreed, and I worship Joe Gibbs. 

On 1/17/2018 at 10:28 PM, bobandweave said:

One of my Brothers and I were at that Regular Season come-back victory vs. The Raiders!

However, mid-4th Quarter, we were summoned by the P. A. Announcer that we had to rush to Washington Hospital Center, where our Dad was taking his last breaths, in the ICU...

We made it, minutes prior to his Soul exiting his body.

It was Sunday, October 2nd, 1983.

We were apprised of The Redskins' victory - by the thunderous roar of many patients, staff, and visitors.

Pops arose to Paradise on said thunderous wave (if y'all let my Brother & myself tell it)!

*"HTTR-'Til the (Permanently Affixed) Wheels Fall Off!!!"

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl-playoffs/2018/1/30/16949762/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-fourth-quarter-comebacks-running-conditioning?__twitter_impression=true

Can you imagine Jay running practices like this, managing the team like this? The short answer is, you can't.

I get that the rest of the NFL is also behind the Patriots. That their long cycle of winning has created a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts as they can get away with stuff like this without pissing off the players, because its proven to lead to winning. (Though you should not be rostering players who would react negatively to this type of thing, it feels like the Redskins often do, even when running the opposite of a tight ship). 

It's depressing how far away we are. Articles like this just prove it, and I'll remember this every time Gruden sends the players bowling on a Friday when they've had a good week of practice this off-season. And they're going to get even more conservative in practices after this injury-riddled year. 

There's a reason we look unprepared and sloppy compared to elite teams. Bruce allows it to happen in his organization but on a more direct level it comes down to Jay and the type of coach he is. We run pansy ass practices that would count as a day off for Patriots players, and then we pat ourselves on the back about it before talking openly after losses about a bad week of practices being to blame. We've heard that multiple times. That shouldn't even be a ****ing thing in the NFL. Reporters should laugh that off the stage. 

Archived