Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Free Agent Thread

method man

8 hours ago, FrFan said:

We should check if there is any one left available from the Tampa connection first :silly:

There is. 

Defensive line coach Carl Hairston.

Was a part of the Florida Tuskers crew.

Let's make him Associate D-Coordinator / Assistant D-Line coach / 3rd Team assistant Head Coach / and VP of defensive acquisitions. 

Staff

2009 Florida Tuskers staff

Front office

Head coaches

Offensive coaches

Defensive coaches

Bevell may be a good voice for our running woes. It wasn't that long ago that he was seen as an offensive genius and head coaching candidate.   I want him nowhere near an 'assistant head coach' title,  but another voice to help get the run/pass situation and the red zone offense squared away will be much appreciated. 

The 2018 offseason may go down historically for front office and coaching turnover in the NFL. Especially if Belichick leaves NE. And the Redskins are sitting smugly on the sidelines like "nah, we're good." 

The lot of them, Gruden and crew (hopefully Bruce too), will probably be gone in 2 years anyway, especially if they screw up this QB situation any more than they already have. 

As per usual Dan Snyder misses the major market moves. 

The Green Bay reshuffling almost catches me off guard and I may still be processing it, but as per usual whenever things like this happen, within a day or two of the news breaking, key elements are already being plucked up.

Sure the Redskins are clearly abstaining. Bruce clearly isn't interested in showing any outward appearance of doubt with his outfit. He doesn't want to show any sign of weakness about the people he's already hired and/or promoted. 

But, could it also be that the Redskins are dumb-witted and slow as well? Short answer, yes. 

Could it be that they are totally disconnected too? 

Like, they need to google Eliot Wolf in order to know whether he's a worthwhile candidate for interview before doing anything. As in, they drag their feet because they're always processing things slower than everyone else. 

I mean, for someone outside the league who's job is not football, who's occupied 40+ hours a week doing other **** and isn't privy to any of these rumbling before the fact that they break, it can be understood. But there's no excuse for those in the league. I'd love to know the internal discussions that any of them had. 

Probably sullen acknowledging nods of acceptance between each other realizing that even if they did call Wolf, or Hightower, or anyone else, they'd probably be laughed at by the over qualified dude. They already know. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jay said in his season wrap up presser he was impressed with the coaching staff, and there were no changes planned.

IIRC, he said he said evaluations were still to occur - starting with coaching staff...  That said, apparently other organizations have already done it (not surprising) and have started making changes..

8 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

IIRC, he said he said evaluations were still to occur - starting with coaching staff...  That said, apparently other organizations have already done it (not surprising) and have started making changes..

I’d have to look up the exact quote but he indicated there wouldn’t be any changes, then said something throw away about evaluations. 

It was pretty clear he didn’t anticipate any changes.  

Here are the quotes I was referring to.  Reading between the lines, just didn’t seem as any changes were imminent.  I thought when I heard the “then we’ll evaluate the staff also” live it was a complete throw away.  I don’t thkk they ever seriously evaluated the staff.  (I also think Grudens self evaluation answer is very throw away. )

My entire take away from the presser was everything is hunky dory, we GOTTA resign Grant, and if we’re not bitten by the injury bug next year, it’ll be fine.  

On if any changes have been made to the coaching staff:

“No, right now, we’re in evaluation mode. The staff’s all here. We’re going to evaluate our players first, you know, make sure we have a clear understanding of where we need to improve, how we need to improve, and then we’ll evaluate the staff also.”

On if the turnover from the injuries makes the evaluation of positon coaches easier:

“Yeah. Yeah, I’ve been really impressed with our coaches, man. They’ve been through a lot as far as having to get guys ready – different guys ready – on a day’s notice, week’s notice. Getting ready to play an NFL game is not easy. We can just stand up here, ‘Oh, good, just go play middle linebacker. Yeah.’ I mean, there’s a lot of calls you have to make and a lot of decisions you have to make like that – run fits, coverage checks – all that stuff you have to get guys ready for and I think our staff did an excellent job. Coach [Bill] Callahan with all the different line combinations he had, KO [Kirk Olivadotti] with all the linebackers he had, the list goes on and on – Randy Jordan with the running backs. I think our staff did an excellent job of getting guys ready to play on short notice and getting them to play effectively and competitively.”

I guess I'm forgetting but thought for sure Jay talked about evaluating the coaching staff prior the players....  And as for what BFS just said, yeah...  When I heard that I was like what?  But then again, it was after the season and perhaps he was just towing the company line at the point as he'd been saying in almost every other time he'd been asked all season about Kirk, he was exuberant about him..

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/01/10/michigan-football-dan-enos/1021437001/

Dan Enos signed as Michigan's WR coach, 'coordinator' role possible

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/01/dan_enos_hired_to_be_michigans_1.html

Dan Enos hired to be Michigan's new wide receivers coach

17 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Ex-Browns coach Mike Pettine to be Packers' defensive coordinator

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905042/article/packers-hire-joe-philbin-mike-pettine-as-coordinators

And now they've added Joe Philbin as OC. This is how a competent organization works.  It's as if their team president Mark Murphy has some understanding of how the Redskins FO worked during the eighties....

17 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I really wanted  us to hire Pettine last year.

Me too. :(

The coaching positions I would go hard at are the following: 

1. Find the best, most experienced Special Teams coordinator out there.

Kotwika hasn’t gotten it done in the slightest.

2. Find the best most competent WR coach out there. Our WR have underperformed.

those two slots would be my main targets.

Archived