Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I swore I thought that tattoo was legally binding him to the Redskins for life.

Just like the guys with Monica, Jessica, Jessie, Megan or Star on their arm or torso. Their ex-girlfriend also thought that would bind them forever...

But now Megan is a single mother of a 1 year old. And her ex Tyler, with her name on his arm, is dating Jessie and not caring about his child. 

(The names are random. Please don't feel bad if your name is Tyler. I apologize for it then.) 

Redskins are Megan -> they need to fill the father role (speed OLB)

Tyler is Junior -> the father that moved on and has fun somewhere else

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

yep, I'd have zero problem with them keeping Murphy, Galette, Anderson, getting Hankins, and adding to the whole shibang early in the draft.

The withdrawing the offer thing is...interesting. You suddenly don't want a guy on the team you just made an offer to? That's done for a specific reason imo.

I like Galette over McPhee.  But I can deal with McPhee as plan B. 

As for some of the posts here by others.  For me, I don't care what Galette says on twitter.  From what I've heard he's actually a good locker room guy.  So he's not a problem child type.  I just want pass rushers who can get to the QB.  McPhee seems to be the same flavor of the other pass rushers we already got -- power.  Galette is a fast twitch dude.   Change of pace. 

Should be an interesting test case for Cooley. Not that Cooley is always right but he thinks the late in the season version of Galette was the best pass rusher on the team by far. 

If they don't sign Galette -- I hope Hankins or another marquee d lineman is in play.  

Mary Kay CabotVerified account @MaryKayCabot
FollowFollow @MaryKayCabot
More

The #Browns have shown some preliminary interest in former #Redskins pass-rusher Junior Galette, who has ties to the club, source confirms. @chickatNBCS first reported

When you replace Torrey Smith with Mike Wallace, who has been far more productive over the last two years, for half the cost.

DY7OcDHV4AA8Lal.jpg

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Galette over McPhee.  But I can deal with McPhee as plan B. 

I can deal with McPhee as plan B if they get Hankins.  If we end up with no Hankins and just McPhee.  :hitfan:

I agree with you in that I like Galette specifically for his niche as a speed rusher.  His tweeting while annoying, I can overlook.  But it would appear that ship has sailed.

Eagles signed Wallace?  Missed that.  That’s a good signing for them.  Maybe really good.  

McPhee and Galette are both much stronger vs the run and pass, respectively.  @Skinsinparadise - totally agree - Galette offers a change of pace, and I don’t really care about his tweeting.  He’s a twit, but a good pass rusher and seemingly a good teammate.  

Now, we need to address our run D, but McPhee seems a bit redundant here.  Anderson is quite good at run stopping, and Smith and Kerrigan are mostly solid or better at it.  Kerrigan struggled at one point vs the run, but I got the impression that was more due to scheme and responsibility.  

As I said earlier, I’d be tempted to sign McPhee, draft a speed rusher, and then be open to letting Smith walk next year.  

Our pass rush should be okay, maybe not as good as last year, but okay even without Galette.

The sticking point is our run D. It’s been horrendous. If the team wants to win it has to be better at run defense. 

Losing Galette hurts our rush.

Depending on the next moves, if it improves our run defense, we upgraded our team. But the jury will be out until we see if the rush D improves.

Also keep in mind, Junior may not be done in DC yet. Sometimes pulling a deal is a negotiation tactic.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

lmfao, there was another tall WR that caught a few passes/TDs in preseason (forget his name) that people were going nuts over. Also, Mason the running back (possibly best preseason RB to ever wear a uniform). 

Ya I said Marco Mitchell. Cause ESers thought he was the second coming of Randy Moss lol. 

I agree with skins21 and skinsinparadise...I'm more into watching the football games than what ever that twitter stuff is to worry about what he says..from what I read and see he works his ass off and likes to play the game..

But letting Smith walk after this year? I don't know about that, I think he's only getting better..

I've read articles that Anderson has trained hard and is quicker and lighter.  This is what I was wanting to see happen.  I'm not bothered about Galette.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the $$$ they were offering him.  Will it be used to up the ante on Hankins and signing him?  I surely hope so.  Will it be for putting towards an extension for Preston Smith?  Will it be rolled over to be used next year?  Time will tell I guess.

3 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Please for the love of God let this be the case.

I think our prudent spending this year is because of the fact that we have a few key guys coming up on contract seasons next year.  Smith, Scherff, Crowder, all coming into their final season under contract... 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hope so.  Otherwise I don't like this.  I keep talking D line and that includes the front 4-pass rush.  Murphy gone.  If Galette is gone, too -- I hope they got something cooking.

Rams seems to be in on just about everyone it seems. :)

Watch our old GM get him in Cleveland.

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Our pass rush should be okay, maybe not as good as last year, but okay even without Galette.

Our pass rush was "ok" last year, and they haven't really done anything to make it better.  Not sure how it gets better unless Anderson takes a huge step forward, or we draft a good pass-rushing guy.  

NOTE: I've never understood loading up on OLBs (Kerrigan, Smith, Galette, Murphy, Anderson) because we are only in 3-4 40% of the time, and when we go to a 4 down front in nickle, you have to take some of them off the field, or have them play with their hand in the dirt.  I think with them letting Murphy go, and pulling the offer from Galette, it seems to me that they might be switching the emphasis from pass-rushing OLB to DL pass-rush.  Just a hunch.  

The sticking point is our run D. It’s been horrendous. If the team wants to win it has to be better at run defense. 

It was "ok" last year before the interior of the defense started dropping like flies.  When they lost Allen, Matt I. and Mason Foster, it started to go down hill fast.  

They need another body in the middle that can push the pocket in pass-rush AND stop the run.  

Losing Galette hurts our rush.

It hurts some, but he wasn't that effective, and didn't play a large percentage of snaps.  I am sure the hope is that Anderson will be able to pick up the slack.  Big year for him. 

Depending on the next moves, if it improves our run defense, we upgraded our team. But the jury will be out until we see if the rush D improves.

I'm just assuming they're going DL in the first round, that should immediately help.  Also Matt I., Lanier and Allen healthy will also help.

I really want them to sign Hankins AND draft a DL.  If you reference my big-long post from yesterday, they HAVE to improve by about 2 points per game a the least defensively to make a playoff run.  That essentially means stopping one scoring drive per game. 

So far on defense they've lost a really good nickle DB and replaced him with an older vet who's not as good, and let a starting CB go.  

So, they're not better on paper.  

They need to get better.  Much better.  And healthy is one component, but I gaurentee you that some of the guys who were hurt last year will get hurt again.  

Also keep in mind, Junior may not be done in DC yet. Sometimes pulling a deal is a negotiation tactic.

Yeah, true. I have no feeling on him one way or the other, but if he's back, it has to be on a cheap deal.  You have 3 guys already set, and they need Anderson to develop...

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Watch our old GM get him in Cleveland.

Has Matt Jones signed there yet?  

Remember this from SAT days?  I don't know if they still do it...

Scot McLoughan : Matt Jones :: Jay Gruden : Ryan Grant

(a is to b as c is to d)

50 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

I agree with skins21 and skinsinparadise...I'm more into watching the football games than what ever that twitter stuff is to worry about what he says..from what I read and see he works his ass off and likes to play the game..

But letting Smith walk after this year? I don't know about that, I think he's only getting better..

I would rather extend Smith rather than let him walk (he’s turned into a very nice player for us), I’m just saying we would maybe have the depth to let him go if we needed that money elsewhere or couldn’t afford him.  Potential comp pick too of course, though I certainly wouldn’t use that as major part of the determination to let him go.  

If we signed McPhee for a few years, Anderson steps, and we draft a promising guy, we could also look to trade Kerrigan.  Same deal here - I don’t like the idea of losing Kerrigan, but that’s a hefty contract and cap that could be used elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really want them to sign Hankins AND draft a DL.  If you reference my big-long post from yesterday, they HAVE to improve by about 2 points per game a the least defensively to make a playoff run.  That essentially means stopping one scoring drive per game. 

I was just listening to Cooley.  His take for this defense from his film review.

A. You need to add a monster run stopping DT.   Our MLBs for years have had to take on too many O lineman in the running game which he thinks has contributed to the injury issues.

B.  you need a third down speed rusher like a Galette type ironically

C. He doesn't think Scandrick solves nickel corner.

His main beef is the D line.  He says the rotation isn't strong in their current set up -- you can't have McGee, McClain and Hood on the field at the same time.  That's weak.  He thinks Allen, Ionnanidis are good when they are on the field.  Lanier specific to pass rush is good.  But they desperately need a run stopping beast in the mix.

Not that any of it was that revealing.  But I often agree with Cooley's takes so I found it interesting.

As for the offense he thinks they are relying too much on injury prone Reed and Thompson which sets your offense up as a ticking time bomb.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just listening to Cooley.  His take for this defense from his film review.

A. You need to add a monster run stopping DT.   Our MLBs for years have had to take on too many O lineman in the running game which he thinks has contributed to the the injury issues.

B.  you need a third down speed rusher like a Galette type ironically

C. He doesn't think Scandrick solves nickel corner.

His main beef is the D line.  He says the rotation isn't strong in their current set up -- you can't have McGee, McClain and Hood on the field at the same time.  That's weak.  He thinks Allen, Ionnanidis are good when they are on the field.  Lanier specific to pass rush is good.  But they desperately need a run stopping beast in the mix.

Not that any of it was that revealing.  But I often agree with Cooley's takes so I found it interesting.

As for the offense he thinks they are relying too much on injury prone Reed and Thompson which sets your offense up as a ticking time bomb.

How true.

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Our pass rush was "ok" last year, and they haven't really done anything to make it better.  Not sure how it gets better unless Anderson takes a huge step forward, or we draft a good pass-rushing guy.  

FWIW we ranked 7th in the NFL last year in terms of number of sacks made. I can't find it but we ranked highly on pressures as well IIRC.

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

NOTE: I've never understood loading up on OLBs (Kerrigan, Smith, Galette, Murphy, Anderson) because we are only in 3-4 40% of the time, and when we go to a 4 down front in nickle, you have to take some of them off the field, or have them play with their hand in the dirt.  I think with them letting Murphy go, and pulling the offer from Galette, it seems to me that they might be switching the emphasis from pass-rushing OLB to DL pass-rush.  Just a hunch.  

We are in 3-4 more like 10%-15% of the time.

But Kerrigan and Smith play mainly as DE's in our sub package which is what we are in about 60% of snaps. So as well as them you need additional OLB who can sub for them in base to keep them fresh and play stood up to rush or drop in sub. Which is where Galette came in ...

This squad lacks a true speed edge rusher.

As for D'Line pass rush - I think we were and are fine in that regard with Allen and Ionnidas. Couple them with Smith and Kerrigan as 4-3 DEs in sub and thats a decent group. The people we are looking at on the D'Line are more to help us inside against the run. I doubt there is anything schematic happening here in regards to pass rush.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Weren’t we ranked 7th in sacks?  Not sure our pressure % or anything though. 

I hear you, but our 3rd OLB has taken a fair amount of snaps, and it worked out to “load up” because Galette was hurt, then Murphy, yet we still had a depth player in place.  As of now, we don’t have that.  Anderson may well be able to fill that role, but we’re an injury away from zero depth.  

It was "ok" last year before the interior of the defense started dropping like flies.  When they lost Allen, Matt I. and Mason Foster, it started to go down hill fast.  

They need another body in the middle that can push the pocket in pass-rush AND stop the run.  

Agree here.  Thing is, I don’t want Io and Allen overworked and I want some insurance for them.  A guy that can start in our 34 rotation, and then take snaps at DT is ideal (as you said though, a major run stopper with some pass rushing chops).  

It hurts some, but he wasn't that effective, and didn't play a large percentage of snaps.  I am sure the hope is that Anderson will be able to pick up the slack.  Big year for him. 

Galette was ok, but really came on late.  Had a high pressure % (along with Smith).  Definitely big year for Anderson.  

I'm just assuming they're going DL in the first round, that should immediately help.  Also Matt I., Lanier and Allen healthy will also help.

So far on defense they've lost a really good nickle DB and replaced him with an older vet who's not as good, and let a starting CB go.  

So, they're not better on paper.  

They need to get better.  Much better.  And healthy is one component, but I gaurentee you that some of the guys who were hurt last year will get hurt again.  

Agree with all of this.  I think health, plus adding a good DL (thereby improving vs the run) could make that difference in points.  Being able to run the ball and control the clock could/should help a lot too.   

With that said, I’m worried about covering TEs and the coverage skills of Brown, Swearinger and whoever wins the slot role.  We may wind up feast or famine on 3rd downs - lot of sacks and a lot of big plays/long conversions given up.   

Hopefully all of our injuries, and our depth getting a lot of experience, leads to improved depth (allowing us to weather the injuries a bit better).  We have weaker depth (than last year) at OLB and corner right now, but hopefully  that forced playing time means we’ve improved the depth at DL and ILB (Spaight, Vigil, Lanier and Francis).  

Edit:  @MartinCHaha, I would have stayed mum if I’d known you were going say everything I did and do it better.  2nd post in a row that I type out a long response and someone else posts almost the exact same thing.  

Josina AndersonVerified account @JosinaAnderson
FollowingFollowing @JosinaAnderson
More

WR Allen Hurns just told me, “I’m going to sign with Dallas.” #Cowboys

Lets looks at the bigger names in that mix

V. Davis -- hit

Norman -- hit

Pryor -- miss

Brown -- hit 

Swearinger -- hit 

Jackson -- hit

Culliver -- miss