Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Browns got more out of him than we did...

The Browns. 

Griffin was the QB. At least when he wasn’t hurt.

which was most of the season.  He started the season opener, got hurt that game,put on IR and activated for the final four. 

2 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

I don't mind overspending on Hankins, he is good, really young and a huge need... overspending in FA just comes with the territory, but it is a part of the process that every team uses, don't have to look much farther than the superbowl teams to prove that.

Not only does he fill a need, but he is great at it, and it would make us so much more flexible in the draft. With him I am for sure trading back and trying to pick up a 2nd and possible more

Absolutely.  I’m actually surprised to see the posts (I can’t decide on the right verb, so I’m gonna go with...) minimizing Hankins.  No, that’s not it.  How about deriding fans for how helpful they feel he could be.  I mean, it’s not that people think Hankins is an amazing player, rather (as you say) he’s great fit for our #1 need, and removes the ‘need’ for the FO to force a DL pick at 13.  

I will say that picking up a top prospect that drops is probably the smart thing to do at that point, however, trading back gives them 1) a better chance at getting the back they want, 2) gives them a better chance at finding a starting G, and 3) gains them another pick with which they can address another weakness (OLB depth, slot corner, etc.).  

It might seem too ‘need’ driven, but I think going that route sort of meshes BPA and need together.  I mean, they likely miss out on the blue chip player that falls, but they aren’t forcing a pick/reaching either.  Pros and cons, I guess.  Seen through a ‘win now’ lens, could work out great for us.  

Without Hankins in the fold though, I don’t see a way they avoid either reaching in the 1st and/or 2nd round, or missing out on their needs.  I’ve never felt that a certain player could be such a lynchpin to the franchise before now.  It’s weird...

2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I really have a hard time understanding how Cousins is in any way better than Alex Smith. There really is no amount of information that proves that. I heard Kevin Sheehan talking about Alex being a lateral move or a downgrade. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. In my opinion, Cousins is a mechanical systems guy. We all saw throughout his time here that when a play breaks down, **** hits the fan more oft than not with Cousins. The bottom line is the Kirk is a losing QB and Alex is a winning QB over the past 5 years. That's that only stat that matters. Everything else is an excuse.

FA would be so much easier for GMs if they could just slot guys based off their previous team’s records.  Think of the job security!  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Without Hankins in the fold though, I don’t see a way they avoid either reaching in the 1st and/or 2nd round, or missing out on their needs.  I’ve never felt that a certain player could be such a lynchpin to the franchise before now.  It’s weird...

I know this is the FA thread, but you feel that either Daron Payne or Vea are reaches at 13?

1 minute ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I know this is the FA thread, but you feel that either Daron Payne or Vea are reaches at 13?

Personally, I have no idea.  I do know it would be perceived that way if Smith/Fitzpatrick or James fell to us and we picked one of the DL.  

Let’s say though:  we don’t land Hankins, none of the top guys fall, and we draft Vea or Payne.  But then, if Guice, Chubb and Michel go before our 2nd round pick, does the FO forego RB till the 4th (or later?)?  Or do they go with need again and overdraft Penny or Freeman?  

So no, I’m not saying the FO will reach for a need in the 1st or 2nd... just that Hankins helps cut down on the chance they do.  He also takes them a (big) step toward strengthening a significant weakness.  He also gives them 1) more freedom to move down in the draft (and still address a need with a top talent), and 2) more positional flexibility with their draft picks (if that makes sense).  

Sorry for the long response... I should have stopped with the 1st sentence, lol.  

3 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Its not about being in awe of Hankins or how great he is.  He always stood out against the Redskins when he played for the Giants although. He is the best out there at our most needed position that allows us at 13 to go in a lot of different ways and not being tied down to fill the needy big man in the middle position we do not have now. Our other young lineman would benefit with him there.

I agree, I think signing Hankins opens up the possibility for us addressing other glaring positions of need like OG and RB.  But spending a ton on a FA is a risk.  Committing a lot of money to a guy who may or may not be a team fit is a gamble.  I'm sure Bruce has offered a short term deal where he would have to prove compatible first.  

I think Connor Williams out of Texas should be our target especially if we trade back in the first round.  This first round is going to be wild.  We have so many options but I think it's Derwin James if available or Connor Williams.  I think DL is addressed with Hankins or a guy like Tim Settle if we can get a 3rd round pick.  But like you stated, getting Hankins who can play multiple spots opens up more options for us in the draft.

5 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Its really not, Hankins is clearly a quality player. And the notion to avoid FA is a classic skins fan reactionary opinion.

Alshon Jeffery was an FA, Gillmore was an FA. Both on superbowl teams. 

People can pretend not participating in FA is beneficial to the team, but the reality is that it is just handcuffing yourself from using one of the available tools to help build a team

You can build solely through the draft and still be stupid.... see the Browns. There should be a healthy mix between the draft and FA, and in both cases the right players

We have already made a few FA signings.  Who ever said completely stay away from free agency?  Not I.  That would be impossible.  But there’s a fine line between being cheap and spending too loosely.

21 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If you really looked at all the other backs around the league it's pretty clear that neither Kelly or Perine are anything close to "pretty good".  To me that means above average, these guys are not only below average they are right near the bottom of the league as far as starting RBs.  

This is just as big of a need as DL. But that does not mean I want them to spend the 13th pick in the draft on one when DL are so much harder to find.  The argument that Vea would only play on 2 downs is a legit argument. But the last time I checked, even in today's NFL,  coaches still say the key to the game is running the ball and stopping the run and this team sucks at both.  They never seemed to  convert 3rd and short and equally importantly they rarely stopped them as well.  

I'm hoping for Payne in the first round. He's versatile. He can play the run or pass. Second round we get a feature back. We got like 7 rb's. Which means we don't have the one.

3 hours ago, #BgMase76# said:

I'm hoping for Payne in the first round. He's versatile. He can play the run or pass. Second round we get a feature back. We got like 7 rb's. Which means we don't have the one.

I hate drafting for need over BPA.  But it sounded clear from the Keim report that they will address the huge RB hole in the draft and that probably means round 2.  It will be fun to watch the draft and root for backs to fall.  

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

McPhee or Hankins signing coming?

Hope so.  Otherwise I don't like this.  I keep talking D line and that includes the front 4-pass rush.  Murphy gone.  If Galette is gone, too -- I hope they got something cooking.

Rams seems to be in on just about everyone it seems. :)

Archived